PDA

View Full Version : Special effects embarrasment in ANH.

Quinlan Qel-Droma
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:24:14 PM
Hi everybody.
Do you remember that scene in ANH when Obi-Wan and Vader were having their duel, and several shots of that scene had Obi-Wan's lightsaber blade dimmed to show it's metal rod?
I think that was very embarrasing, especially since it's still there after the special edition came out.

I can't believe they just "missed" that out of the editing material. I hope they get around to fix that up.

Champion of the Force
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:40:42 PM
Thta's just the tip off the iceberg. What about:

* Stormtrooper banging his head on the door as it opened.

* Luke calling Leia 'Carrie' when he gets back from destroying the Death Star.

* Metal rod of lightsaber reflecting on C-3PO when Luke is admiring the lightsaber Obi-Wan gave him.

* Jabba the Hutt (oh dear, it is so bad compared to today's standards - I hope they fix it up).

And so on. :)

Does anyone know when the Special Special Edition is being released?

Jinn Fizz
Feb 21st, 2002, 10:56:39 PM
Hey, don't diss the stormtrooper-banging-his-head-on-the-door scene, that's one of my all-time favorite bloopers! :p

But yeah, I myself was surprised they didn't fix that lightsaber boo-boo in the Special Edition. No doubt it will finally be taken care of in the Final Ultimate Special Special Edition, whenever that might be released. :)

JMK
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:22:50 PM
Exactly, they had to same some stuff for the mega, ultimate, ultra, definitive special editions.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:38:58 PM
Actually that carrie thing is a myth, I think it was anwered in the Jedi Council on SW.com, they said it never happened, I think even Hamil has denied it. I think he say hey or something like that, i guess it just sounds like Carrie.

darth_mcbain
Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:14:48 AM
I agree with you JMC. I've listened and listened and I can't honestly say that I think he says Carrie. To me it sounds like he's saying "Hey!", although it comes out kinda excited and might possibly be construed as Carrie.

As for the others, I don't mind the stormtrooper banging his head - in fact I hope they leave it in - it is part of SW lore that shouldn't be removed.

I don't think the Jabba is all that bad. True it may not be up to today's standards, but big deal. What are you going to do - rework the movie every 5 years when new technology comes out!? Just leave it be and be happy with it.

Starquest aka AndyR
Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:42:38 AM
I think the only thing they should re-do is to remove the first shot from greedo. everything else can stay because its easy to overlook bloopers and bad CGI, but the greedo shot actually made Han out to be lucky idiot instead of a street smart rogue.

darth_mcbain
Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:22:39 AM
After I made that post last night, I was thinking the exact same thing... Greedo shooting first was just a mistake - I think if another edition comes out they should put that back the way that it was.

JMK
Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:50:35 AM
Definetly, Greedo's 1st shot has to go. That was just awful. I would also prefer to see Jabba changed, once and for all. The one in TPM looked convincing to me, so if they can re-create that, then I'd be happy.

Jinn Fizz
Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:57:04 AM
Oh yes, the Greedo shooting first thing has to go. Please. As soon as humanly possible. >_<

darth_mcbain
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:01:36 AM
I must also say that I didn't like how they redubbed Luke's line in ESB from "You're lucky you don't taste very good" to "You were lucky to get out of there". Admittedly, the first line was kinda corny, but I was just used to it and don't see why they needed to change it.

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:13:32 AM
Aside from the Greedo travesty, the only thing I'd like to see changed from ANH would be Vader's dim saber as he approaches the blast doors. It just looks bad. The Stormtrooper hitting his head is no big deal. Maybe he was SUPPOSE to hit his head, how do we know. And that Carrie thing is just a myth, I've read Hamill's explanation and I believe him. As for ESB, the changes were fine, although that ridiculous scream they added as Luke jumps off the platform was LUDICROUS. One of the guttsiest things Luke does in the entire trilogy and Lucas has him scream like a girl. WTF? If you look at his expression just before he jumped you see a look of quiet determination, why the hell would he scream like that? The swamp line change wasn't necessary either, but it's not that noticeable. I liked all the changes in ROTJ. Although I wish they would have cleared up that embarrasing black blob that you can see on the side of the Emperor's face. While we're listing fantasy changes, why not have McDarmind shoot the transmission scene for Empire?

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:38:21 AM
Sometimes I wonder if all of this stuff was left in/changed (changed in the case of Luke's scream and Greedo) just so Lucas would have the fans demanding he make another version :D

But yeah, most of my complaints are the same as Jedieb's...though I just wish they'd redo the sabers completely in ANH...there are some shots where they look like complete crap, where they look like they disappear except for a little dot you can see on the handle...I don't remember exactly which shots look bad, as I haven't seen the OT in months (no VCR/copies of the movies at college), but most of the problems I had were in the Obi-Wan/Vader fight at the end...plus, I think it'd look a lot better to make the sabers look like they do in all the other films...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:53:16 AM
I agree with most of those changes, the Greedo thing just doesn't look like not just because its uneccearry but how could Greedo missed so bad? He was sitting right in front of him and Han didn't move or anything it just doesn't look right. I agree with putting Mcdamrid in as the Emperor in ESB, that thing as the emperor doesn't look the same IMO. As far as the Stormtrooper hitting his head, it does make them look incompetent, so maybe it was left in on purpose.

JMK
Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:45:17 PM
I've heard that some re-shoots have taken place already for the classic trilogy and that Lucas plans more addtions/subtractions to make the 2 trilogies more seamless. I'm all for it as long as the changes mentioned above are taken care of! :D

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:08:45 PM
Since we're talking about changes we'd like to see and these changes would take place on OT DVD's I'll throw in my #1 OT DVD request;
THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS OF THE OT!

Take as many discs as you want, price it at whatever amount you want. But I want to be able to see the versions of Star Wars, ESB, and ROTJ that I originally saw in theaters. I don't care if they revert to Tie Fighters with black blocks around them or a floating droid free Mos Espa, I want the ORIGINAL OT I grew up.

JMK
Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:06:08 PM
I agree, I want to be able to see the trilogy the way it was originally released. Will GL see things the same way though? Or will he want us to see the movies he wants them to be?

Shawn
Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:31:13 PM
Actually, I don't mind the thing about Greedo getting off the first shot. Yes, it makes Han look 'lucky'... but wasn't Mr. Solo described as having incredible luck in the books (some people even argued that he was unconsciously using the Force, as there was no way that someone could have luck like his)?

Sith Ahnk
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:33:21 AM
While we're listing fantasy changes, why not have McDarmind shoot the transmission scene for Empire?

Believe me, it's being mulled
And theres some cleaning up to be done on the ESB saber fight.

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:57:32 AM
I'd rather see the ANH duel fixed before ESB's. I don't even remember any of the metal rod showing in ESB, does it?

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:54:19 PM
My biggest problem with the Greedo scene is 1) it looks terrible the way they did it, and 2)I don't think there is any way you can rationalize someone having a blaster, knowing how to fire it, and being able to miss from that close.....hey, while they're at it, why doesn't GL just change it to where Greedo actually has the blaster turned around backwards, and shoots himself? I think the Luke screaming thing was just a horrible idea too, especially since they just recycled the Emperor's scream and it doesn't even sound like him...

I never noticed anything wrong with the ESB fight...

It would be nice to see both versions...they could just do like FOTR dvd is doing and include both cuts...

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:18:00 PM
hey, while they're at it, why doesn't GL just change it to where Greedo actually has the blaster turned around backwards, and shoots himself?

:lol
ROTFLMAF!!!!!!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:21:12 PM
LOL don't give him any ideas.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 03:42:55 AM
Hey, I don't have a Special Edition version of ESB so bear with me here!
But I found something funny... I wondered if they left it in the Special Edition, since it's fairly small...
When Leia says I love you, they zoom in on Han and he says I know. He's wearing his black vest.
Cut to Leia, and back to han, not as zoomed in. He's devoid of vest.
Leia. Han. He's back in his vest.
Leia. Han sinking. And of course, he's missing his vest, and then he's in the carbonite.
Check it out.

JMK
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:38:30 AM
Yeah, that is pretty bad, and as an extension to that, Han goes in with sideburns, comes out with none. Figure that one out!

Jinn Fizz
Feb 24th, 2002, 11:35:16 AM
I'd noticed those bloopers too, and I've got one to add to the list. In ROJ, when Han is freed from the carbonite, he falls face down on the floor. As a result, the front of his shirt gets covered with dirt/sand/whatever. But when he gets tossed into the cell with Chewie, his shirt is nice and clean again. Did his guards give him a nice new shirt somewhere in between, eh? :lol

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 24th, 2002, 11:55:39 AM
What movie does a stormtrooper bump his head on a door, and when?

JMK
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:00:51 PM
In A New Hope when the Stormtroopers enter the room where the droids are hiding, if you look closely, you'll see on of the troops in the back smack his head on the top of the door as they walk in the room. It's actually very funny the first time you see it.

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:45:04 PM
I would actually believe that a Stormtrooper would hit his head though...they don't always seem like the best and the brightest of the Empire :) Maybe they need some restrictions on the draft...

I'm interested to see if they come up with any lame excuses to explain some of these...I know they have with Han's bindings as he goes into the carbonite (I don't remember it exactly, but when he goes down, I think he has either hand or arm bindings still on)...the official site explains that as saying something like "they're made of carbonite"....yeah...I'm sure when we're looking through George's notes it says "cuffs are made of carbonite..." I don't remember exactly what the mistake was, since it's been forever since I've seen the OT, but I know it's something like that...

Sith, I'm sure they confiscated the vest...one of the Ugnaughts (sp) thought he'd look pretty stylish in it...plus, I've heard those damned vests throw carbonite machines for a loop...

JMK, when freeing someone from carbonite, there's an option on the panel that they didn't zoom in on..."Sideburns? Yes/No?" And of course, one of the cut scenes in ESB before Han goes in, he says "Leia, get rid if these damned side burns when you get me out"

Jinn Fizz, it's galactic policy in the Star Wars universe that prisoners have to have their clothes cleaned before being thrown into a cell...to do otherwise would just be uncivil, and we all know what an upstanding citizen Jabba is, he wouldn't want to get caught for unfair treatment of a prisoner...that'd be almost as embarassing as Al Capone and his taxes...

Come on people, how could you accuse the wonderful creator of all that is Star Wars, of being fallible? there's a reasonable explanation for each and every "mistake" left in there...you just can't understand how his mind works...

:rollin

Jedieb
Feb 24th, 2002, 07:37:41 PM
Harrison Ford was about 20 lbs heavier in ROTJ then he was in ESB. There's no amount of CGI that's going to fix that! He hurt his leg and was off his feet for awhile so he gained some extra weight. It's very noticeable if you watch ESB and ROTJ back to back. But I'm sure there's some EU explanation about how the carbon freesing process makes you fat. :lol

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 08:13:37 PM
Harrison Ford was about 20 lbs heavier in ROTJ then he was in ESB. There's no amount of CGI that's going to fix that! He hurt his leg and was off his feet for awhile so he gained some extra weight. It's very noticeable if you watch ESB and ROTJ back to back. But I'm sure there's some EU explanation about how the carbon freesing process makes you fat.:lol

He probably swallowed some. :lol

JMK
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:40:04 PM
It's quite simple really, he was bloated! How would you look if YOU had to hold it for that long?

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:44:06 PM
:lol

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:53:34 PM
I hear carbonite is extremely fattening...