PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner on DVD

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:49:24 AM
I have to say.... is disappointing. The quality isnt great and it's too dark a transfer to me.

Which is depressing - Blade Runner is one of my all time favorites. I really wish the DVD version looked better.

Sound's nothing to complain about tho.

* sigh *

Anyone else got a movie that you liked, but the video or DVD version dissappoints?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:53:00 AM
I haven’t yet had any DVD disappointments but I will say that my Princess Monoke DVD r0x0rs my s0x0rs. (translation: Is one of the favorites of those I own.)

Thanks for giving your opinion of the Blade Runner DVD though. I was considering buying it, but think now I may just hang onto the DiVX file I have of it. :D

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:54:55 AM
Wish things like this would be put in the correct place :)

DVD never dissapoints me over original. I dislike how they will leave out some cut scenes (Maul following Qui Gon onto the Royal Cruiser in TPM, Cyclop's early days in X-Men), the cardboard boxes you sometimes get really annoy me, and I wish more did director's commentaries, but overall I couldn't be any happier.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:57:03 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Wish things like this would be put in the correct place :)A little variety in here is a good thing and besides, more people view this forum than the BO one. He frequents both and maybe just wanted the RPers opinions this time. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:00:29 AM
The Bade Runner DVD has none of those nice things. None. It's just the plain Original Directors cut.

Which I could handle.... if the quality was better.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE DVD, it's just that you see soem thing like this, done to such a great movie.... it sucks. Couldnt they have some something really worthwhile.... or atleast got the transfer better??

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:02:08 AM
maybe just wanted the RPers opinions this time.

Yep :)

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:03:08 AM
They will reissue the Blade Runner movie, if you complain enough

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:04:27 AM
From what I have seen there are a couple versions already available, but one is some kind of collector's set that includes a lot of extra stuff and is really expensive. Its probably the same Blade Runner DVD though, inculded in the set.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:15:01 AM
It's pretty sad tho, the standalone sucks so much. I know Blade Runner is a oldish moive, but I have seen DVD's coming from movies in the 30's that looked better.

One think I did note was that the LA cityscape in places looks awfully like what Corucant does in TPM in places and more especially the new trailers.

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:18:05 AM
I'm definitely going to pick up the Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) DVD as soon as I get my paycheck cashed. What a great movie.

I was never particularly enamoured with Bladerunner, but I do have to admit that the DVD disappointed a bit. Now, you want to talk about a DVD lacking extras? Try Interview with the Vampire. They couldn't even be bothered to make a real menu for it.

My favorite DVDs in my collection:

Pi - Between the various making-of featurettes, music video, and other nifty features, this is (without a doubt) the best $10 I've ever spent. I highly reccomend heading out to your local Best Buy and picking this one up.

Requiem for a Dream - An amazing movie, an amazing DVD. 'Nuff said.

Dogma Special Edition - Wow. This is what DVD is all about. Hours of deleted scenes (some which were very good!), commentaries from everyone and their mother, the works.

Chasing Amy - One of my favorite movies, with some interesting extras and a nice style to it.

Labyrinth - Not only was this a cult classic, but the interviews and behind the scenes features were terrific! Seeing them make all the puppets for the movie, as well as finding out how they had Bowie juggle the glass orbs was just nifty.

Macross Plus, volumes 1 & 2 - Single-handedly, this is why Anime was meant to be on DVD. The picture and sound quality alone are enough to stun and amaze.

Perfect Blue - A bag full of extras, and then some. Upon sticking it into my DVD ROM, I noticed that it also contained various wallpapers and screensavers. Niiiice.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Arguably one of the coolest menus, plus the option to watch a nearly 3 hour version of the greatest sequel ever make this ones tops.

The Matrix - I'm pretty sure that this was my first DVD, and it sold me hook, line and sinker. I hooked it up with true stereo and was blown away by the sound. I can hardly imagine this thing with Dolby 5.1

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:23:39 AM
One think I did note was that the LA cityscape in places looks awfully like what Corucant does in TPM in places and more especially the new trailers.
Yeah, but Coruscant looked like that since the initial sketchs, a city planet as such. Not Coruscant though, Zahn made that name up. Think it was either Alderaan or Abbadon back then.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:24:00 AM
Matrix Revisited=Excellent

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:27:52 AM
Macross Plus, volumes 1 & 2 - Single-handedly, this is why Anime was meant to be on DVD. The picture and sound quality alone are enough to stun and amaze. From what I read, painstaking and semi expensive effort was put into recoloring this before it was transferred to DVD. From some of the examples I have seen and testimonials that I have read, I think the DVD version is probably more vivid and detailed than the anime was when originally released.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:28:55 AM
Well, apart from Blade Runner, I dont have anything I would call a dud. My favorites are --

1) Mystery Men. That's my first DVD. I love it and the special bits are cool too

2) Toy Story boxed set. Just.... awesome set

3) The Matrix. Duh, every DVD owner should have this in their collection.

4) The Abyss - not the greatest movie, but the extras are incredible. The 59 minute making of is a jaw dropper for what they had to do. I have watched this more than the actual moive

I havent got Terminator 2 on DVD - it's not easy to get here. I want it.

And of course, I bet in November when the Director Cut of FOTR comes out, I will have a new favorite - That DVD is sounding Just Plain Awesome

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:29:31 AM
Anyway, my DVD favourites:

The Phantom Menace had an excellent commentary and documentary, as well as some good missing scenes

Desperado had a great extra- The original :)

From Dusk till Dawn had Full Tilt Boogie(Great documentary), some scenes I wished they'd kept in the film and a great commentary from Rodriguez and Tarantino. You really could hear that they loved movies

Terminator 2, as already said, is a classic DVD

Army of Darkness Director's Cut is almost empty of features, but has some decent deleted scenes and possably the best commentary I have heard. Bruce and Sam remeniscing over the fun they had, laughing about how much Sam tried to hurt Bruce :)

Mystery Men has a lot of info in it

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:34:43 AM
Yeah, but Coruscant looked like that since the initial sketchs, a city planet as such. Not Coruscant though, Zahn made that name up. Think it was either Alderaan or Abbadon back then.

Not saying the sketches didnt exist or what not - it's just really noticible the similarities in Blade Runner and the Coruscant of now.

Much like you always notice Agent Elf in FOTR

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:35:18 AM
My main complaint about Army of Darkness is that they released, like, 5 different versions of the DVD. The one I have is severely lacking, but some of the other versions looked promising.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:38:30 AM
Yeah, I have the Limited Edition with less extras than the Special Edition Limited Run, but more than the standard one :)

Not saying the sketches didnt exist or what not - it's just really noticible the similarities in Blade Runner and the Coruscant of now.
I know, I was just saying :)

That's far more obvious ;) :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:42:52 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's far more obvious

Yeah, true. He's a bit one dimensional in his latest movies - he could have at least tried to change the tone of his voice. Of courrse, the real problem is that he is si recognisable from the Matrix, it's hard to think of himself out side of it.

If you want to see Hugo Weaving really do something different, watch Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, where he plays a drag queen. Frightenly well too

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:42:59 AM
I have the standard, Widescreen version of AoD, with nearly no extras. It was bought for me as a gift. :\ The 'bootleg' version looked to be the one with the most extra stuff.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:43:17 AM
Or kinda like you notice all my posts have no point
Or that the trees smell like syrup in a fire

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:48:19 AM
Fett - So which is the best version of AoD to get?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:49:21 AM
Originally posted by Sith Ahnk
Or kinda like you notice all my posts have no point So you do know what you are doing. I was wondering. :p

And to go back on topic at least a little. I like any respectable DVD player owner, do possess a copy of the Matrix, but the majority of my DVDs are of the Japanese flavor and I like them too even though they aren't packed with quite as many extras as the Hollywood films for the most part. I'm not after extras I am after movies and shows that I like and appreciate.

Cowboy Bebop is godliness when it comes to anime DVD. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:54:29 AM
Fett - So which is the best version of AoD to get?
I would say the first limited release, which was the SPecial Edition, Full of extras. You'd be lucky to find one now though, that was a eyar or two ago.

Speaking of which, Evil Dead gets a US rerelease again soon. Should watch that, so I can decide wether to pay the extra for import :)

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:55:11 AM
I found the Slayers: NEXT boxed set very convenient for collecting the entire season in one place (it was seperated into two different boxed sets on VHS). Good stuff. Also, I like being able to choose whether I want to watch it in Japanese or English - I switch between them as the mood strikes me.

I've been meaning to pick up Neon Genesis Evangelion on DVD, but I've only managed to get the first 2 so far. Likewise, I've been meaning to buy Serial Experiments: lain.

I'm dying for Manga to release the Guyver series on DVD. Especially if they'd include the rest of the episodes that haven't been released in the US.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:58:35 AM
I can't stand anime. I like my american cartoons thank you very much
Ooo, the Ghost in the Shell was okay... though thats probably because I got lucky watching it
But on a whole, I don't like it. Mind you the rest I have seen is mainly of a pokemon/digimon/sailor moon variety
And my favourite DVD is the ECW one I have. *marks out for RVD*

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:03:29 AM
SE Lain is good stuff. I thank you for recommending it to me a while back, even if it does kind of leave you going WTF in almost each and every episode. I think that was definitely part of its appeal.

NGE: Also good but seriously lacking on extras, as most Anime is. One that comes to mind that actually had pretty decent extras was Key the Metal Idol, loads and loads of concept drawings and various other little things.

And to people new to anime I would recommend Trigun, and to those who like anime but have never watched it, don’t let the first few episodes fool you, this series is awesome and gets better and better as it goes on, and in the way of extras its actually not bad. :)

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:04:50 AM
Heh. You can't stand anime, Ankh, but have an ECW DVD... I don't think I need to even say anything here.

Anime is poorly stereotyped by the masses. I remember listening to a District Manager of Blockbuster explain that all anime has the 'Youth Restricted Viewing' sticker "because we all know how it's just pointless violence and sex" (quoted verbatim). Gee, I bet I could say that about most Hollywood flicks, too (insert pointless flash of Halle Berry's breasts here).

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:05:42 AM
Get an ECW DVD if not for the action then to save Paul Heyman from the Mafia
To Nup: You suck
To Dotnet: I've heard a lot of good things about Serial Lain, maybe I should watch it

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:14:12 AM
Originally posted by Sith Ahnk
To Nup: You suck Didn't I warn you earlier about flamable contents in your posts?

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:17:25 AM
I'm giving him the benefit of a doub that it was meant to be light-hearted. Besides... insults just roll off my back, these days. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:18:44 AM
Really? :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:22:28 AM
I have to admit, Anime is just not my style. I've watched a few (flatmate a few years ago collected them and a few in the 5 odd years since) and I really cant get into them. It's not saying they are bad, it just not my taste. Much like DBZ, which I just dont get.

Now, there are two movies I would love to see a DVD version - the original CannonBall Run (Which, despite it's B-Grade status, is quite an impressive car movie, the race between the Ferrari and the Cobra near the West Coast is awesome for a car freak) and also The Italian Job. Absolute classic and some of the BEST car chase scences ever. Wrapped around a good story, plus a rather unique ending. I want this on a DVD!!!

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:28:41 AM
I want Brisco County Jr, Ren & Stimpy and the X-Men cartoon on DVD. They wont though :(

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:30:55 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I want Brisco County Jr, Ren & Stimpy and the X-Men cartoon on DVD. They wont though :( The original X-Men cartoon on DVD would pwn me. :D :: drool ::

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:31:16 AM
Invader Zim boxed sets! I demand it!

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:36:15 AM
The Thunderbirds. mmmmmmmmm. Goooooood.

And thinking of boxed sets - A Jackie Chan box set would rule. Not his USA movies, some of his Hong Kong ones.

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:43:42 AM
I have a Jackie Chan boxed set. But it is, indeed, of his American movies. I saw both Operation Condor and Supercop in theaters, and liked them both, so I jumped on this when I saw it. :: shrugs ::

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:55:12 AM
Drunken Master I and II are excellent, DO NOT GET ENGLISH DUBBED VERSIONS!!. Police Story 3 is good and there are a few others that the names simply escape me when he was at the height of his abilities which are simply outrageous to watch.

On a different martial artist - Jet Li before he went USA is excellent. Once Upon a Time in China I, II and III are expensive, but great.

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 06:59:54 AM
Jet Li's movies are a bit too... whimsical, for me. I saw Meltdown and, for the first 20 minutes, I couldn't decide if it was supposed to be a serious movie or a comedy.

Although I don't remember which one it was, I did see one of his 'Once Upon a Time...' movies on Showtime. Again, it was a bit too whimsical for me.

I downloaded The One, and that was a pretty decent action film. Although, in all honesty, he's not that good of an actor. He should just take up some non-speaking roles.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:03:31 AM
Definantly, as an actor he sucks. I saw Romeo Must Die and I was horribly dissapointed.

As an martial artist, he's excellent.

Oh and while I'm at it - there is a Jackie Chan movie called Gorgeous - DO NOT WATCH THIS TRIPE. It's Chan trying to act and he is even worse than Li

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:07:30 AM
I was thinking of renting Romeo Must Die out of curiosity: I've been discussing the upcoming movie, 'Queen of the Damned', lately and Aaliyah is (of course) a prominent subject of discussion. I was sort of curious to see what type of role she played in RMD.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:09:54 AM
Things like this kind of make me wonder if its really the difference in cultures that makes their acting seem so horrible to us. I mean the Asian cultures are so vastly different than our own (US, British, Australian) that perhaps there is just way too much lost in the translation, be it subtitles or dubbing.

I didn't like RMD either. :x

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:15:51 AM
Well, I think the main difference is that many Asian martial arts movies tend to lean towards slapstick. In the middle of a fight scene, one person will lean over and slap the other one around, 3 Stooges style. Stuff like that really kills the movie for me.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:21:53 AM
What it seems to me is that Hong Kong movies really depend on their action to tell the story. I personally love watching Asian action, it always seems like they are truly enjoying themselves in making the films.

But in the end, the better comparision is to look at people like Arnold, who is pretty good action actor, but sucks at acting. It's really more what they are good at, not whether their is a cultural difference.

Michelle Yeoh is a bloody awesome action actress, she's as good as Chan, she's highly skilled martial artist and she can act quite well too - like look at Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (which I might add is a MUST have DVD), where she is not bad acting as well as kicking butt. Choo Yun Fat is also a good actor too.

So - Chan and Li are action stars and should stick to it. And they are both incredibly good at it.

Which makes me think of Jean Claude Van Damme, a really good martial artist who took himself too seriously. I cant remember the movie where he is in the illegal Hong Kong all styles tornament (Kickboxer? Bloodsport?) but he's impressive to watch. But he cant act for anything. He should stick to the high kicks.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 08:22:09 AM
Chow Yun Fat may be a good, nay, great actor, but he hardly had the critics singing his praises in Replacement Killers. I think it has to do with language. CYF was learning the language as he went along in RK.

Which makes me think of Jean Claude Van Damme, a really good martial artist who took himself too seriously. I cant remember the movie where he is in the illegal Hong Kong all styles tornament (Kickboxer? Bloodsport?) but he's impressive to watch. But he cant act for anything. He should stick to the high kicks.
I feel he can act, but not as a starring role. He needs to accept himself as not being the big star.

Want a bad Martial Arts actor? Steven Seagal. Not only can't he act, and like Elvis he seems to get larger and larger each time you see him, he is also rubbish at fighting. Flap your hands out in front of you so you slap their punches away, before hitting them once. Does he EVER lose? :)

Darth Viscera
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:00:32 PM
Matrix sounds good in 5.1.

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:15:43 PM
Fett, you should look up the origins of Coruscant. Believe it or not, its not a Zahn invention, but rather a concept coined in one of the WEG game things in the mid 80's.

As far as Jet Li detractors, I think two movies that are "must see" are Kiss of the Dragon, and my all-time personal favorite, Fist of Legend.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:51:11 PM
Coruscant isn't, I said the name :)

See? Here :) (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/coruscant/bts.html)

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:58:38 PM
I have a source guide back home that says otherwise. I'll have to double-check on it to see.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:15:54 PM
Official Site should know :)

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:22:55 PM
More often than not, all supplementary material disagrees with the offical site, which makes for strong debates
And yes Mr. Dotnet, that "You suck" at Nup was light ribbing.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:25:44 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
I've been meaning to pick up Neon Genesis Evangelion on DVD, but I've only managed to get the first 2 so far.

I bought all on NGE on Dvd a few weeks back and it's pretty good, not much options on it but ah well.....let's anime dvds I have um, all of NGE, all of Fushigi Yugi which is funny as hell especially the omake on the black box set......

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:19:26 PM
Ever seen other Peter Jackson Movies?

Heavenly Creatures is a cult hit....

But there is one other movie you should avoid showing to children....

Meet the Feebles. I declare myself NOT responsible if you ever find a copy of this movie. Believe me, if you have seem Lord of the Rings ....... this is nothing like it. Think a bad case of drug induced Muppets.

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:30:12 PM
Frightners was.... interesting.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:39:31 PM
Havent seen that myself. Another rather gory slasher flick is Dead/Alive, which for a while was known as the bloodiest movie of all time.

ReaperFett
Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:03:36 AM
Ever seen other Peter Jackson Movies?
BRAINDEAD BABY, BRAINDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD!

(Yes, that's Dead Alive:))