PDA

View Full Version : About that article...

Ysanne Isard
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:22:14 AM
But basically, the original post is hwat I define a troll and flamebait. No replies so far have been much better.

I will hereby register my disgust this article was put here in the first place and my disgust at the replies so far. The original post was just begging for a flamewar to erupt.
So I'm a troll now who is deliberately looking to see a flame war errupt? Begging for it, even?

When I posted this, I could not guarantee what the replies to this would be; heck, I didn't think it would even get any replies. It was simply an article I had read somewhere which I found very interesting, and which I had posted previously on another messageboard without everyone there breaking out to flame each other's opinions. That it contained some views that might call forth some kind of discussion - that I well knew. Maybe I was mistaken to think that it could be seen in a mature enough way for people here to have a civil discussion about it.

This is an OOC forum, and previously news articles have been posted here with much more explosive content. If someone has trouble containing their anger while reading this, then I cannot be held responsible for the way they decide to reply to it, and to each other.

I apologize for thinking it would be a welcome change to this forum to have a discussion about something a little more contemporary in a while; there are some amongst us who are actually interested in this kind of topic, and do like to discuss it, whether some like it or not (I don't like many things around here either, but I don't say anything against them). But I shall henceforth restrict my political-mindedness to places a little more open and mature than this.

As for your remark, Marcus - it's good to see just what your opinion is of me. I should have thought that people here knew me better than to call me a troll and say I was begging for a flame-war, but I guess that is not the case for all. But I think I shall take it as a compliment, since it's coming from you.

Strider
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:25:05 AM
If your looking to flame someone, then I can point you toward a good old fashioned Flame Forum... Now located off of Ezboard Servers.. www.maximumletdown.com

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:25:33 AM
I don't find your avatar ecspecially pretty

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:26:39 AM
Let me just state that when I said “I concur” and then closed the thread, I was not agreeing to all of what DT had said, only the fact that it had become a flame war and there was no need to continue it.

Yes, I agree that it is nice to see some more contemporary and different discussion around here, and do not mean to discourage it, but the direction that article had taken did not need to be continued.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:27:59 AM
I apologize for my anti-American comments. I now belive American is superior and unfailable.
*Agent Smith nods and puts his gun away*

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:28:58 AM
Originally posted by Sith Ahnk
Your avatar is ugly Consider this a warning Ahnk. Please behave with more decency and less flammable material, or else be doused.

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:30:48 AM
I only skimmed the thread in question. By the time I saw it, it had already erupted into a heated debate, of which I wanted no part.

I don't fault you for posting a thread that of a controversial subject matter. But a little foresight would have proven useful in this case. Touchy subjects do have a habit of becoming nasty here.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:31:57 AM
Roger chief.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:41:53 AM
I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with the first few posts, but then it turned into a huge flamefest.

It's a shame really, I'd love to talk about stuff like this.

Oh, and to answer one thing in there

Does Canada even have weapons?
Yes, and they did go over to Afghanistan. Show some respect

Sith Ahnk
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:45:03 AM
Eh?
I know Canada went over to Afghanistan... if that was aimed at me. If it was aimed at Prent... well then, thanks for sticking up for Canada! And god save the Queen!

Gash Jiren
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:42:03 AM
I don't personally see a difference of opinion to be a flame war... if you want to see flaming, come to TRF, and I'll show you some of the locked threads that have REAL flaming in them.

However.

Ysanne can't be classified as a troll for pasting in a political article, even if you consider it a flame war- she basically had no hand in it. I'm fairly sure she wasn't sitting at home with her mind control kit making everyone post- if she finds something interesting, and posts it, how can she be to blame for what results?

But I'll say this... I think it was a pretty safe bet that thread would turn out as it did. Still not her fault- but next time, I think that it might be better to just not post it...

Shawn
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:44:38 AM
None of the staff are blaming her for posting the article. She held a Moderator position some time ago, and is obviously not a troll. We just felt that the thread was getting a bit too heated for comfort, and that's why it was closed. :)

Laran Katern
Feb 21st, 2002, 01:25:19 PM
Just to add a small note concerning Canada's weapons...yes they do have weapons, and they have weapons the US specifically requested and thus far have envied over there. They're called Coyotes.

It is a shame that the thread erupted in such a fashion, however it's a perfect example of the pros and cons to patriotism. Perhaps one day threads as such will be able to be posted here, with suitable content from members to follow as opposed to the alternative which we have seen.

Darth Viscera
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:11:13 PM
A more idiosyncratic and less inflammatory method of calling up a political discussion would have been preferred, rather than starting up the thread by insulting one's country.

Heck, I posted a political thread here. I don't think anyone read it...it was an open letter to Presidents Khatami and Bush, in which I was not inflammatory. But then...that got no replies :lol

Laran Katern
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:21:57 PM
If what she had posted had been writen by her i would agree DV, but what she posted was an actual published article. It was intended to make people think, to which it did. Unfortunately things got a little out of control.

Darth Viscera
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:30:53 PM
That doesn't negate its nature. The matter of who wrote it is moot.

Laran Katern
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:36:06 PM
So essentially what is being said is that, when praise is being given out, you'll be the first to be there. But when detractions against one's country is being made, or criticisms, that one cannot remain objective in the matter, and try to see the other's point of view, but instead will become offended and turn to insults. So much for the vaunted freedom of speech.

Ysanne Isard
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:42:23 PM
Well, thanks, everyone. I didn't react all too well this morning to underhandedly being called a troll and all that, so I should point out that I do agree with the Mods for closing the topic. I hadn't intended it to turn into a flame war - I had hoped there would be some serious discussion about this topic, however, yes.

I see though that it still doesn't seem to be finished. But, to stop further disagreement and trouble around here, I'd like to offer anyone who wants to continue this whole discussion (in a civilised way) a chance to do so - I've copied the whole thing into my own board.

I'm sure the Mods will prefer this debate to get off this board.

http://pub48.ezboard.com/fsuicidalthoughtsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=94.topic
(i've included all replies except for the last few concerning closing the topic, but if replies could please be made in a civil manner and NOT end up in another flamewar, I'd apreciate it)

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:51:12 PM
I didn't really consider the discussion as flame-worthy (although I must admit I'm a bit more animated in my debating style than others), and had no problem with it. However, for decorum's sake, it probably isn't best for a wide-open venue such as this, where people might actually get offended.

Darth Viscera
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:00:56 PM
So essentially what is being said is that, when praise is being given out, you'll be the first to be there.
I don't recall saying or even hinting at that, nor is it likely true, due to my inherent laziness.

But when detractions against one's country is being made, or criticisms, that one cannot remain objective in the matter, and try to see the other's point of view, but instead will become offended and turn to insults.
Had the writer of that article been able to remain objective, likely it would have been less aggressively seditious. Thus, objectivity cannot be expected from the reader.

So much for the vaunted freedom of speech.
Name this crime for me:

"...a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression."
"...the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures."

It does, of course, supercede the freedom of speech.

The mods made a good choice to close that thread; only bad feelings could come from it.

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:14:36 PM
(Gives DV a cookie for slapping down a "freedom of speech" detraction)

Thats a pet peeve of mine. Everybody always jumps onto that "Free speech, its a free country" rag, and the fact is, there are statutes that do limit this to some small degrees. Essentially, rulings against slander, libel, and then the clear and present danger clause, to name a few. Then you get into tortious disclosures, which can bind and supercede above that hallowed amendment, if you happen to get bound into one. And further to boot...the bill of rights has no jurisdiction in this internet medium, which is a privately-owned venture. So :mneh on ya.

Laran Katern
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:15:31 PM
Nicely done Vis.

Unfortunately work calls for myself. I'll have a response when i get back tonight.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:25:19 PM
Can we please stop talking about this? This is the second time I've written a post then deleted it due to thinking it might cause arguements. Let's just stop talking about this stuff now. It's pissing me off to be honest.

Phantom
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:27:35 PM
I must say my post was over the top, but you must understand I am so very tired of everyone backstabing my country when even we are low. I still want you to find another country thats half as good as the US. :mneh

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:34:07 PM
Joking or not, Phantom. I don't mean to be rude, but please, just stop it! I've zero tolerance for people blowing their own trumpet like we are in competition. Why don't you stick your tongue out to the thousands that are dying everyday in the third world and claim "Our country is better than yours!" Still feel proud?

This is so messed up.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:37:11 PM
Lalalalala, ummm lets not do this again folks. I'm not blaming anyone in particular, but I would prefer that this be taken elsewhere. Maybe you could follow Isard's link and discuss these political issues to your heart's content there? Thanks.