PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:17:16 PM
Well the annual ritual that is Spring Training begins today for 30 baseball teams and at least we know know it is going to be 30:p So 30 team all begin their chase to become World Series champs and with that I want to look at the contenders for the crown, I am not going to make any predictions its early in my mind I am just going to look at the top teams in each league and say what chances they have to do to make the playoffs or perhaps win it all.
American League
NY Yankees: I guess I better start here and as I much as I hate to say it they loaded up to where they are the favorites to win it this year. Still there is no guarentees, their pitchers are getting any younger or thinner (Clemens 40, and Wells is well 300 lbs I am exageratting there) but adding Giambi really helps their offense and they have to be favored to win. Giambi was their only huge aquisiton, Wells is nowhere near is former self, Rondell White has never been healthy for a full season and Robin Ventura is not much of an improvement over Brosius (he hit .230 something last season). After saying all that they still have their core of stars (Jeter, Mussina, Pettit, and Williams) and with that and Giambi that might be all they need to at least contend for the World series if not win it.

Boston Red Sox okay here is my team, I must admit I am biased about them and hope beyond hope they will win (I do it every year hopefully one year it will happen) Now first the team has gone full of a lot of changes, new ownership, they will probally fire the idiot of a GM (Dan Duquette) that they have next week, they got rid of the worst person in baseball (Carl Everett) and they made some good signings (Johnny Damon, John Burkett, Dustin Hermanson, Tony Clark, and Rickey Henderson, who even at 43 still brings them leadership and speed he stole 25 bases last year) Those moves have defitnely improved them from last year. Still the Red Sox hopes are based on one huge thing health of 3 players: Nomar Garciapparra their best player and one of the best hitters in baseball, he can't go down like that again, if he is healthy he will hit between .340-.360 and help Manny Ramirez behind him, Jason Varetik, he is a good catcher one of the top 3 in the AL but what is really important about him is anchores the pitching staff, the teams ERA doubled after he got hurt, and most importantly Pedro Martinez if he is not healthy they have no chance, he is the best pitcher in baseball when he is healthy and can just about shut anybody down with him they always have a chance and could even beat the Yankees in a 7 game series, But those are ifs and their are no guarentees they he will stay healthy or they will just let down the fans of Boston for the millionth time, still I guess I am hopefull if the Patriots could do why no the Red Sox:)

Chicago White Sox Okay last season was terrible for them Thomas was hurt all year, they had made a terrible trade to get David Wells and nothing went right for them. Still with Cleveland getting rid of their entire Roster they have a chance of winning the division but they need to stay healthy to do so.

Cleveland Indians- man things have gotten bad for them they might not even finish above .500, they lost Gonzalez, Alomar, and Lofton from last years team that is most of their offense. Their pitching is just average, to me they have no chance this year.

Minnesota Twins- The Twins should be interesting they were nearly gotten rid of in the offeseason and I would not be surprised if that motivated this team to playing harder than before, I wouldn't not be shocked if they won this weak division, realize they were in 1st place for about half the season, so they have a chance.

Seattle Mariners- they won 116 games and that wasn't enough, reallly their season was a failure to lose that many games and not win the world series is. I wonder how good they will be this year? Did some of their players just have fluke years (Boone anyone) sure their is Ichiro but this team might have a fall but they will probably win enough games to win the West

Oakland A's- I feel sorry for A's fans they lost their 3 best players in the offseason (Giambi, Damon, and Israushsen(sp)) still they have a great pitching staff and should be in a lot of games, they will at the very least contend for the Wild card

Texas- Now I seriously don't think they will do anything I doubt they will win 80 games I just want to use this time to laugh at them, they overpaid for an average pitcher (Park who was terrible outside of Dodger Stadium, a pitchers park and now he is going to a hitters park) they signed the two most troubled people in Baseball (Carl Everett and John Rocker) how long do you think it will be before they get into a fight or at least before the rest of the players revolt against them. Sure they signed Gonzalez but what does that mean they will lose games 12-9 instead of 12-7 or something.

National League
Atlanta Braves- The Braves made one of the better moves of the Offseason by getting Gary Shetifield he should help give them one more chance in probably their chance at the WS (Maddux and Glavine are both 36 and this is the last year of their contracts) He gives them a lot a pop in their lineup and they should contend for the WS

NY Mets While the Braves got better so did the Mets. They added Alomar, Mo Vaughn, and Jeremy Burnits to their lineup and added Shawn Estes to their pen. Those moves at least guarentee they will win the wild card but they also have a chance of getting to the World series like the Braves

Chicago Cubs The cubbies made some great moves in the offseason signing a good SS (Gonzalez) and getting one of the best players in baseball (Alou) to hit behind Sosa, they also have McGriff for a full season. They also have a great pitching staff with Wood finally getting stronger now after his injury, I think they will win the division and could be a sleeper to make it to the WS

St Louis Cardinals- The Cardinals have a huge problem losing McGwire, sure they have JD Drew but they didn't really replace McGwire's prescenes (they got Tino Martinez who is no McGwire) they still have a good pitching staff but I think the Cubs just improved too much for them and they will probably finish second

Arizona Diamondbacks- Now we come to the World Champs, but its going to be awfully hard for them to repeat, IMO still they have Johnson and Schilling and with them they have a chance of getting back to a WS and with those two aces anything is possible.

S.F Giants- The most important thing for them was to resign Bonds but they also made a few minor moves (Reggie Sanders) so they will be no worse than last year, still, I don't see them making the playoffs.

JonathanLB
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:39:10 PM
I cannot wait to watch the Yankees win another World Series this year :D

darth_mcbain
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:43:57 PM
I want another subway series between the Yanks and the Mets, only this time the Mets will win it baby!!! :)

Taylor Millard
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:44:10 PM
Texas- Now I seriously don't think they will do anything I doubt they will win 80 games I just want to use this time to laugh at them, they overpaid for an average pitcher (Park who was terrible outside of Dodger Stadium, a pitchers park and now he is going to a hitters park) they signed the two most troubled people in Baseball (Carl Everett and John Rocker) how long do you think it will be before they get into a fight or at least before the rest of the players revolt against them. Sure they signed Gonzalez but what does that mean they will lose games 12-9 instead of 12-7 or something.

:grumble While I share your enthusiasm being from Boston myself, I still have a bit of hope for Texas (being I live in Dallas now). Hart's attempting to stimulate the team, and if Tom Hicks is going to spend money, let him spend money. You're right, pitching is a big deal (that's been The Rangers' problems for the last 30-35 years) but who knows. Do they have a "true ace" now? I guess, the main question for Chan Ho Park is whether he can lead the rotation. Hart signed him because he thinks he can. As for Rocker and Everett, well...Hart signed 'em for a reason. Rocker can pitch and Everett ain't that bad of a player. I don't think we'll have the Chad Curtis "Thong Song" incident this year. So I'm not going to sit back and laugh. I actually plan on going to a few games this year, before I move.

Hmm...maybe if they play over the weekend in Boston I'll go. Been wanting to go to Fenway for a looong time.

Doc Milo
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:01:01 PM
My analysis of this year:

NY Yankees: They lost five players off of the starting line-up -- Knoblauch, O'Neill, Martinez, Brosius, and Justice. Four of those five were around, and excelled, for most of their success since 1996 (O'Neill, Martinez) and 1998 (Knoblauch, Brosius.) These were core players in their success. But enough of the core still exists -- Jeter, Williams, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada -- for the team to hold together and adjust to the new players. Soriano, I feel, will slip right in to fill a core role that was abandoned when the older players left. Giambi replaces Tino, a platoon of Spencer and Vanderwal replaces O'Neill, Rondell White replaces Knoblauch, and Ventura replaces Brosius. Giambi is an upgrade. Spencer and Vanderwal have some shoes to fill, both offensively and defensively. Rondell White, if healthy, is an upgrade over Knoblauch. And Ventura is a place-holder, no better, no worse than Brosius gave them the past two years.

The pitching was improved on the tail end -- Hitchcock, Wells, and El Duque will be competing for the remaining two slots in the rotation, with the odd-man-out either becoming trade-bait or a bullpen mainstay. The loss of Nelson a year ago should be offset with the aquisition of Karsay. And Ramiro Mendoza should be healthy all year.

With an improved offense, an established starting rotation, and an improved bullpen, I'd give the Yankees the edge in the East.

The Red Sox -- I still don't trust that Pedro Martinez will be healthy (I'm not even going to pick him first (should I have the first round pick) in my Fantasy Baseball league! Still they should be good enough to win the Wild Card, if everyone remains healthy.

The Mets -- I'm picking them to win the NL East. Sure, Atlanta improved with Sheffield, but the Mets did some find manuevering to have a massively improved line-up that should produce greater than the sum of its parts. Pitching, especially starters, is shakey, but I think it will stand up well enough.

Well, more later... have to go to work now...

darth_mcbain
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:18:52 PM
Originally posted by Doc Milo

Well, more later... have to go to work now...

:lol No truer words spoken - if only work didn't have to get in the way of life...

I haven't been following a lot of the teams lately, but from what I hear (and what you guys are reiterating), the Mets have looked like they are improving their team and have some decent chances this year. Between my old hometown heroes (Mets) and my new ones (Rockies), I think the Mets have the better shot for the NL title and I hope they at least win the pennant. Going on to take down the Yankees in the World Series would just be icing on the cake.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:23:14 PM
I have to disagree with you about Everett, he had done two hugelly embarassing things in Boston. In 2000 he bumped an Umpire which was awful at that and then he got into a huge argument with the manager Williams. In 2001, sometimes he didn't even show up for Spring Training games or practice he still got into fights, he had this injury which he said wouldn't heal, and then in Sept after 9/11 in front of a crowd he grabbed his crotch towards the fans and spit on the ground. Everett is a jerk and he is a destroyer of chemistry I am glad that he is gone even though all we got is Darren Oliver for him. Believe me he will ware out his welcome in Texas and you are stuck with for two years and I doubt you will find anybody to take him if he messes up again.

As far as Pedro, Doc you are right I am worried about him, he came into camp yesterday though and looked pretty good, he gained 30 pounds and bulked up his arms, I think he will be okay for the beginning, I am more worried about him breaking down in July though, if he can make it to August nearly injury free (its no big deal if he misses a start) then he is in the clear I think.

JonathanLB
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:11:59 PM
Dude, work doesn't have to get in the way of life, you just have to do work that IS life and that you love doing :)

Not easy, perhaps, but there is no greater pursuit than that. As Thoreau said, to paraphrase, there is nothing more sad than a man who spends most of his life getting his living. Very sad indeed.

I'd never want to work a "real job," nor doing anything I didn't really enjoy.

darth_mcbain
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:45:41 PM
True - who was it that said "Pick a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life..." Twain?

JMK
Feb 15th, 2002, 06:05:50 PM
WHAT? No one's giving my Expos a snowball's chance in hell? Why not? Just because they're being run by Butt Selig de facto doesn't mean they can't contend! :lol

This is going to be one hell of a sad year for me to sit through. They're going to have more fans at their pre-season games than their regular season games! At least they didn't hold another firesale, so I'll get to marvel at Vladimir Guerrero, Javy Vasquez, Orlando Cabrera and Jose Vidro for at least one more summer.

But if those snakes now running the Marlins ravage the expos lineup and pick up all their good players, I'll walk to Florida stuff Samson down Loria's throat!

(I'm not bitter at all....)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:01:23 PM
LOL JMK I would have given them a chance if I thought they had one :P Seriously I think they will end up selling the expos to somebody and moving them to Washington that is my guess. I don't think they will able to find another team to contradict especially if the Twins get a new stadium or even make the playoffs. I don't know if there is any comfort rooting for the Washington Expos.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:14:10 PM
Yeah and what about them Jays?

Let's see. No real number one pitcher, other than Delgado no idea who's playing in the infield. No known DH now. Mind you they have enough pitchers coming into camp to fill out about 6 teams, to bad none of them are proven.

Prediction.... World series back north of the border.

What I'm serious....

Okay not really.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:42:43 PM
LOL maybe in a few years if your pitching gets better, well at least you have a won a world series a lot of teams haven't even done that.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 15th, 2002, 10:20:12 PM
*cough*TWO World Series*cough* ;)

Taylor Millard
Feb 15th, 2002, 11:45:38 PM
Technically I'm stuck with him for a month ;) Since I am moving to DC. But yeah, based on what I've read he does sound like a jerk. But, new team new start.

Now, as for the Rangers in general...Dallas can only have 2 good teams a year. The Cow(boy)s suck. The Stars are only oh-kay. And the Mavs are doing great. This means the Rangers have a chance :lol ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 11:46:43 PM
Whoops I'm sorry I completely forgot that they won two, thats better than what my Red Sox have done in the same time frame, the last time we won the World Series World War one was going on.

Doc Milo
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:53:21 AM
Okay, so where was I before work so rudely interrupted?

Ah, yes . . . the Mets.

How Phillips got rid of both Ventura and Ziel is beyond me. Then to steal Roberto Alomar away from the Indians -- and they thought the Indians management had gone bonkers when they let the Yankees have Justice for Ricky Ledee!

So the Mets line-up looks like this: Cedeno, Alomar, Alfonso, Piazza, Mo Vaughn, Burnitz, Payton, Ordonez, and the pitcher.

They should score some runs. But they're going to give up some runs as well. But, unlike the Rangers of past years, I don't believe their hitting/pitching ratio will translate to losses of 9-7 -- more likely than not victories of 7-5.

As a die-hard Yankees fan, it pains me to pick the Mets for anything -- just so you know where this is coming from.

As for the rest of the league? The AL Central is wide open. I'd like to see the Twins do it. I'm in favor of contraction. I think the talent pool, especially on the pitching side, is spread too thin. But I don't think the Twins should be one of the teams contracted out. That smells more like a pay-off between Seilg and Pollad. In my opinon, the teams to be contracted should be the Expos (sorry JMK) and the Devil Rays.

The AL West will come down to between Seattle and Oakland. Yeah, the A's lost Giambi, but they have such great pitching, it's hard to see them not contending. Seattle will come back to the pack. Last year was a fluke season. Those types of years just aren't duplicated. Look at the Yankees. They had a season like that in 1998. Then in 1999, even though they won the WS again, they did it more "normally."

The NL Central, I like St. Louis, despite losing Big Mac. Tino will help them. He is a leader. He may not put up the power numbers Mac did, but he knows how to win.

The NL West: Arizona has to be the favorite. But I never count the Giants out of anything, either. They always seem to find a way to be right in the swing of things.

Wild Card? Atlanta or the Cubs...

JMK
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:58:17 PM
No need to apologize Doc. The Expos are absolutely the team to contract, if there was one. Of course, I'd rather have them stay, but who would want their team to be erased? I refuse to blame the fans for not showing up though. When they had real owners in the early to mid 80's, they were the second hottest ticket in town (the Habs are always going to be #1). Then the Canadian dollar lost it's value and there was always the problem of the Big Owe. Crappy owners blame the fans for not coming out, fans blame owners for not fielding a competitive team and strip mining the team of every ounce of talent. Oh well, it's almost certainly over for baseball in this town, so as of next season I'm a free-agent fan, looking for a new team to root for. I can tell you who it won't be though...

Jedieb
Feb 16th, 2002, 01:00:16 PM
Doesn't anybody think the ColangeloBacks are going to repeat? What about the Mariners? I think the Yankees will win the East again, Texas will implode because of bad chemistry, the White Sox or Indians will win their division so they can exit the first round of the playoffs, and Seattle will outlast Oakland. As for the NL, the Mets seem to have loaded up big time, but that doesn't always guarantee success. We'll have to wait and see what kind of chemistry the team has and how the pitching holds up. I really don't think the Braves will do much damge but it wouldn't shock me to see them edge out the Mets or grab a wildcard spot yet again. How about those poor Cubs? They'll probably tease the Wrigley faithfull for 3/4 of the season and then Wood will blow out his arm again and Sosa will be left standing by himself again. I'd really like to see that team make some sort of run. Then there's the D'Backs and Houston. A managerial switch may finally put Houston over the top, but I doubt it.

WORLD SERIES Prediction
Yankees V. Mets

If I wasn't a Yankee fan like Doc I'd probably pick Mariners V. Mets, but we're talkin' bout the Yanks baby!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:02:14 PM
I probably won't make a prediction because I might do something stupid and pick the Red Sox:p I would rather not give them a chance and be shocked than be disapointed really that is the way I have gone into the last few seasons, but they better win before I die or they will be hell to pay.

JMK
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:50:53 PM
I don't see how anyone can look past the 2 New York teams. They're just so unbelievably stacked!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:05:16 AM
I am not so sure about the Mets, the Yankees yes but the Mets to me have question marks, first there is Vaughn he is leaving the American League where I think he would be better off probably as a full time DH considering he is an awful 1b definsevly he has gotten worse in the last few years and I wouldn't have called him average when he played in Boston (I saw him play) sure he is still a good hitter though he won't hit .330 again maybe ,280-.290 and hit 35-40 Hr, if he can stay healthy which is always an if. Then there is Burnitz who is nothing better than an Hr hitter who won't hit more .250 (that has been his average with Milwaukee the last three years) he might hit 30-40 HR but there is no guarentee. I think the Braves are just as good as the Mets, mostly because of Shetfield which improves there offense imensily. There only problem is pitching depth beyond Maddux, Glavine and Millwood all they got is Albie Lopez yuck there. But with an improved offense they should be good enough to win the NL East maybe make it to the WS.

Taylor Millard
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:53:21 PM
I'm not going to make any predictions until playoff time. Personally, I don't see the Rangers imploding. If there is any problem they'll try and trade 'em away. It's what Hicks did with Donald Audette when he was with the Stars.

I will go for either Oakland or Seattle as the two candidates. I think TX'll do better than people expect, but if they're in the playoff you know who they'll face...The Yanks...UGH!

Two reasons I hate the Yanks: 1) They've beat TX twice in the playoff and 2) I'm originally from Boston. ;)

Oh I'm kidding, Yankees have a good team.

Hey Carr, has the Red Sox 2002 schedule been released yet? If so, they playing TX on a weekend in Boston?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:45:02 AM
I think it has if I find it I will let you know. They might be able to trade Rocker, but Everett is going to be a problem because of his contract he is getting paid way too much, all idiot Duquette's doing, if hadn't picked up his option for next season we would have gotten more for him and he wouldn't be that hard to unload now. I am hope Boston gets to the WS but I would never predict it, as I said I would rather them surprise me.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:56:56 AM
Looks like they play Texas in Late August but the games are in the middle of the Week.

Taylor Millard
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:38:17 AM
Blast...okay, thanks Master Carr. I appreciate it. Thank you sir. Any weekend games you do recommend in June or July?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:13:35 PM
I am sure they play the Yankees sometime in June (I think I have to look at it again) They are always great games to go too, after they play the Diamonbacks in Fenway one Weekend that should be a great series.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:03:10 PM
When are those Braves pitchers going to give it up? How old are they all now? 40? 50? As for the Mets, I don't know how much those home run hitters will deliver now that I think about it. At some point, the law of averages will have to kick in and knock someone down to a 20-30 HR season, even while playing a relatively healthy season. But the addtion of Alomar is going to be huge for them defensively. Who cares if Vaughn stinks at first, Alomar will play his position for him!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:25:59 PM
Maddux and Glavine are both 36, with Maddux it doesn't matter, because he is a control pitcher he could probably go 5 more years if he wanted to, Glavine is starting to show a little bit, Millwood is their 3rd pitcher he is not bad he is 10 years younger than Maddux and Glavine and has the stuff and he had a 20 win season a two years ago. I am not sure who their #4 is, Lopiez is #5 and he is not very good though.

JMK
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:32:52 AM
You're right, Maddux is such as masterful pitcher, the only thing he has to worry about is losing his eyesight before his arm gives out.

Taylor Millard
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:01:19 PM
Well they might do what they've done with John Smoltz and convert both of them into either set up or closers. I believe (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Smoltz has done well as a closer for the Braves.

JMK
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:04:30 PM
I think you're right, he did do well. I wonder if his success as a closer had anything to do with the trading of Rocker, or did he write his own ticket out of ATL? :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:43:41 AM
He wrote his own ticket by not shutting his mouth and by not playing very well. He didn't pitch well in Cleveland either, I really wonder if he is really anything good at all or did the whole controversy make him bigger than he ever was.