PDA

View Full Version : I Am Sam

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:29:11 PM
As part of my yearly Oscar blitz I took this film in for Sean Penn's performance. He was quite good and even though I'm not sure I'd put him in my top 5, he does deserve his nomination.

The film overall was filled with good performances. Dakota Fanning, the youngster was really great. Unfortunately at times the film tried too hard to tug at your heart strings. You kind of feel like you are overly manipulated on many occasions Nonetheless I recommend the picture(for the acting if nothing else).

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:34:44 PM
Penn has no chance of winning, simply because of his views

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:41:28 PM
I know he won't win..I just make it a point to see the nominated things I can.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:17:09 AM
Penn to me is a jerk but that is beyond if he deserves a nomination or not. Ebert said in some interview that this was a bad nomination because he thought the movie wasn't very good. I haven't seen it so I can't say either way if he deserves it or not.

CMJ
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:55:37 AM
I knoew Ebert didn't care much for "I Am Sam"..I remember watching his review. I mean it's not like one of the best films of last year...far from it..but it is a "sweet" movie, filled with solid performances IMHO.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:10:32 AM
Well I guess Ebert is entilted to his opinion, heck he thinks Gosford Park has a chance of winning it all. What is he smoking these days? If that movie wins it would be a huge upset because as I know you have pointed out in the past, CMJ, movies that have made no money have almost never won Best Picture and Gosford Park hasn't even made 25 million, the lowest that I can think of in the last 20 years was The Last Emperor when it made 40 something million (I have no idea how much the Oscars effected its box office.) I know the English Patient had a box office surge after the Oscars I think it had made 50 something before and ended up making 70 something so Gosford Park would just be an utter shock, I would rank it below Moulin Rouge at least (I don't think In the Bedroom has a chance either for the same reason) Still he did say that ABM and FOTR were neck and neck and it would be between them.

CMJ
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:27:01 AM
I think GP has a small chance because I think Altman might very well win Best Director as a lifetime achievement sort of thing.