PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to take a Survey (18 years and up, please)

Charley
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:36:12 AM
Hey everybody. Just need a little bit of information from you if you would. Survey's short and sweet, and will aid my project design immensely.

Survey for MIS Project 1
Please help my team members and I with our class project by filling out this Questionnaire

1. What is your gender and age?

2. Since the events of Sept. 11th. do you believe the Olympic security
Personnel should be increased? Why?

3. The security budget for this year’s Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City
is estimated at $360 million. Do you believe this is too much or too
little? Why?

4. Have you heard any information regarding RF (Radio Frequency) tagging
devices? If so, what have you heard?

5. If you, or a loved one, were at the Olympics, what could the government
do in order to make you feel more secure?

!! Thank you for your time, your information is greatly Appreciated !!

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:55:19 AM
Male, 19

2. Since the events of Sept. 11th. do you believe the Olympic security Personnel should be increased? Why?
IMO, there should be enough security as it is, being as this is a major worldwide event. And considering what has happened before (1972 I believe), Id hope they couldnt increase it any more.

3. The security budget for this year’s Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is estimated at $360 million. Do you believe this is too much or too
little? Why?
No opinion, as I don't know any other amounts to compare this to.

4. Have you heard any information regarding RF (Radio Frequency) tagging devices? If so, what have you heard?
Nope

5. If you, or a loved one, were at the Olympics, what could the government do in order to make you feel more secure?
Nothing. IMO, there is always a way to breach security(A week after Sep 11th someone got onto a plane to the UK from the US with knives and teargas in his luggage, after having one taken off him. £500million or so being stolen from Heathrow the other day). I feel as secure as I can be

It better be :)

Taylor Millard
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:56:27 AM

21, Male

2. Since the events of Sept. 11th. do you believe the Olympic security Personnel should be increased? Why?

Yeah. I think it's a good thing. With the new terror alert the FBI released, it's good there's the extra security there.

3. The security budget for this year’s Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is estimated at $360 million. Do you believe this is too much or too little? Why?

I think it works just fine. We haven't heard any problems (except for Russian Skaters) so I think it'll be okay.

4. Have you heard any information regarding RF (Radio Frequency) tagging devices? If so, what have you heard?

No info sorry

5. If you, or a loved one, were at the Olympics, what could the government do in order to make you feel more secure?

The security that's provided is fine with me. I'm not a big fan of the government providing everything for me, or almost everything. BUt they are expected to protect us, so yeah I'd feel safe.

Darth Lynch
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:24:45 AM
Polls and surveys are super l33t!

Male, 22

Yes.

Why? Because they are pyscho bastards out there trying to kill people any way they can and they dont care who it is, men, women, young, old. After Sept.11 people need to know they are secure and safe to attend such events without fear.

3. The security budget for this year’s Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is estimated at $360 million. Do you believe this is too much or too little? Why?

Not sure what the previous security budgets were but overall due to the Sept 11 attacks and the cotinuing threats of terrorism the price does not seem bad compared to some programs governments create or start. It is high make no doubt about it but to safe guard so many people at once is going to be costly.

Now if they were only able to safe guard events from being predetermined by corrupt judges.....

Can not remember anything about it.

Nine out of ten chances they are doing this but restrict the air zone around the olympics with patrols ready to shoot down any one who even so much as goes near the events. Create an transportation system so that all road and the surrounding area can not be snuck in with bombs in vehicles. Metal detectors at all entrances/exits. Guards with guns or tasers to take down any potential trouble maker.

No problem.....just remember the devil always gets his due and....ohhhh pictures never mind.

Live Wire
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:35:52 PM

Okay if you dont know this one I have every right to throw you out a window! :p

I believe that the the security should be increased. The olympics would be a great target for terrorists even before the events of september 11th and now that they have proven that they have the power to cause such mass destruction then extra precautions are reasonable.

I dont really have anything to compare that number too. But Im of the oppinion that you cant put a price tag on peoples lives so if thats what they need to do it right then thats how much they should use.

I heared something about them in passing but I dont really remember what they said.

I think I would feel pretty safe as things are right now. I know they're not taking any chances and I pretty much have confidence that they are doing all that they can aside from strip searching everyone.

And now I must put in my rant which is not entirely unrelated.

The Canadian skaters got ROBBED!!!! It was so wrong and I hope they get the gold medal they deserve once all the scandal comes to light. Im glad more then one person is corroberating the story of judge tampering and the people guilty of it should never be allowed to judge any sport on ice ever again!!!!

Okay Im done now.

Motssumi Rosskaarru
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:48:10 PM
1. female, 21
2. any extra security is always better
3. I don't have a number to compare this to either
4. nope
5. nothing really

darth_mcbain
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:08:07 PM

Male, 25

Personally I think it should be increased. I think we take a lot for granted in this country, and we feel that it is our right to be able to go anywhere, anytime, not be hassled for security, yet remain secure. The fact is, if you want to be secure, you have to put up with additional security, searches, and hassles. To me its a no-brainer, I'd rather be inconvenienced a little bit to feel more secure.

Tough to answer that question, because I don't know what it is being spent on (i.e. how it is broken down). Off the top of my head it sounds ok.

Nope

For one thing - a good security presence. Anywhere you go, there should be someone nearby patrolling. As well as visible security forces, undercover ones are needed too. Lastly, immediate on-call support for air or ground forces if necessary.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:39:37 PM
1.)

Male, 18

2.)

No, becuase as mentioned before, it's a world-wide event. There shuold be enough security personal around as it is.

3.)

At first glance, it looks like too much. Though after thinking about it, it seems just about right, given all of the expenses and utilities for tight security for the Olympics.

4.)

No

5.)

Nothing that they already have done. I feel that one shouldn't really live their life in fear after the Sept 11 events. Fear of mass terrorism takes so much out of a vacation or sporting event, that it brings the question, "Why even bother to go?"

TheHolo.Net
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:59:18 PM
1. Male, 25 – 35

2. Yes. The international community was obviously targeted during the Sept. attacks and the Olympic venue provides what I see as quite the shining target for such people as were involved in them.

3. Budget analysis is not my forte.

4. Didn’t they used to use some form of that for security at stores before magnetic strips became commonplace?

5. I don’t think the government could actually do anything themselves as a whole, to make “me” feel more secure, but being able to see security personnel quite visibly in lots of places would help to some extent.

Strider
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:49:05 PM
1) Male, Age 23

2)Yes, given the past problems at other Olympic Venues I feel that an increased security presence is needed to help secure the area.

3)Like SWFans.net I have no knowledge about this except that it is being well spent.

4) I have heard nothing on any RF Tagging devices except for the IR transforming trailer of the new Optimus Prime!

5)They have done as much as anyone can in this situation.

HaeLari Draevyn
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:01:40 PM

18 female

Yes because we have had our guard down for way too long, and I believe that all the freaks in the world will try to do something to add on to the immense hysteria that was caused during the September 11th attacks. Yes, I do believe that there are weirdos in this world that get it off by scaring people and hurting people.

little? Why?

Too much! Some of that money could seriously be used for a better cause! I mean, I'm not one to like Sports, but there are a lot of things that could seriously use that money. Like the rebuilding of lives in NYC and Washington after the attacks, as well as many problems this country has suffered over the many decades since it has begun. Like hunger, homelessness, and domestic violence. Though no amount of money will ever solve these problems, at least we can help make the problems less severe.

Nope, never heard of it.

Put about five police officers at each entrance to search for weapons and bombs, then have a dozen or more police within the buildings/olympic areas to patrol and make sure no one is trying to cause any trouble.

Mu Satach
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:44:09 PM
1 - Female - 29

2 - before Sept. 11, thought that there was not enough security around the Olympic Villiage, now... it's overkill...

3 - perhaps a bit much... but if something happens then it will be, "Why didn't we do more." so... I'm dealing.

4 - RF - eaves dropping devices for cell phones, etc.?

5 - what do you mean "IF" I AM HERE!!! all the damn security around here is making me paranoid. :p but that's another story.

[edit - spelling mistakes.]

Darth Viscera
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:06:59 PM
I used to go to the Pentagon (it's like 55 min. away on Metro) all the time because of all the concession stands and such. You have to have a lot of places to eat for all those thousands of office workers. Now, I just stay away from it completely. :\

Morgan Evanar
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:48:51 AM

Male, 19 years

No. I doubt that someone wants to make an example of an athlete when they can simply blow up First Union's headquarters.

3. The security budget for this year’s Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is estimated at $360 million. Do you believe this is too much or too little? Why? I know very little about costs that this sort of an operation would incur. I'm unqualified to comment.

4. Have you heard any information regarding RF (Radio frequency) tagging devices? If so, what have you heard? Yes. Old tech thats gotten smaller and smaller.

I can't really comment. We aren't secure, and I think it would be best if people were more aware of it.

Americans are overconfident, but thats a different subject for a different day.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:06:13 AM

Male 32

No, Paranoia is high enough as it is. You also can not cover everything as Sept 11 showed. plus, an attack on the Olympics would be highly counter productive and terrorists know it.

WAAAAAAYYYYY too much. Sydney spent far less than that and security was still excellent, plus friendly. Sheer overkill

Prisioners on day release in NSW have to wear one.

Hold the Olympics Australia again. As being in a place where they were held, you simply can not cover everything, best to place them in a place where they are less of a target

Morgan Evanar
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:00:25 AM
You guys don't exactly have this stuff called "snow"

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:03:30 AM
This "snow" stuff is rumoured to appear in a place called Theadbo, which is also rumoured about.

Plus also remember Sidney had Summer Olympics 18 months ago ^_^

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:10:02 AM

Female, 22

I think that security has always been an issue in the Olympics, especially after the bomb at the Summer Games in Atlanta. After Sept. 11th, yes the security personnel should be increased. However, people who think that freedom should be sacrificed in the name of "security"...well, thats what got us the Soviet Union. So we should be careful in our precautions, that we don't go overboard. Its a fine line, IMO.

I cannot imagine the number "360 million" in my head. That is a lot of money. I would think that it would be plenty for the Olympics. So, I'm going to say that I think that it is just right. I really couldn't say, as I do not know what people USUALLy spend on security at the Olympics. After Atlanta, I think security would be higher anyway, regardless of September 11th.

I have heard that Radio Frequency tagging could be used to determine where terrorist groups are at any point in time. The frequencies they use are pinpointed, and then tracked... (all this is in laymans terms of course. The complex version no longer exists in my brain. :D )

I doubt they could do anything to make me feel more secure.

HaeLari Draevyn
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:49:13 PM
Hmmm.... Snow. I watched this thing on TV once about a ski resort that recycles raw sewage and turns it into snow. And it actually looks like real snow except for the fast that it's a slightly grayer tint. :lol

Laran Katern
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:19:50 PM

23 and Male.

Yes and No. The Olympics would present a prime target to get global attention to a fanatic's cause. So with that in mind, of course security should be increased. On the other hand, the point has been brought up that too much security infringes upon our freedom, which that it can. When Afghans are being hassled by the appropriate "security" measures solely for them being Afghan, then you infringe upon their rights and freedoms, and essentially return to a time when Japanese in North America were placed in prison camps, only because of the war going on overseas. That, IMO represents a good example of security being taken too far. It's a fine line they have to walk, and thus far, they've done it.

I say no, because with the ongoing "war" on terrorism, that one group would have to be crazy to try to implement a plan of action now, unless they want the full brunt of the worlds forces coming down on them. Everyone predicted that the US would have so many problems in Afghanistan, as Russia did before. But quite the opposite has happened. Minimal causalties, and efficient work has killed the Taliban, and completely turned the tide of power in the country. Terrorists, imo, should be weary during this time and be foolish to try anything at an event of this magnitude.

Without knowing how that budget is being spent, I cannot make a decision as to if it's too much or too little. If spent wisely, I would imagine it would be sufficient. If politicians have their way, it will be severely lacking.

If it's the equipment used to clone cell phone signals, I know of it. If not well then I'm don't know.

I would feel comfortable going to the Olympics with a loved one or whatnot with the security protocols that are currently in place. I strongly believe that the Olympics will pass without incident.

Lord Gue
Feb 16th, 2002, 04:46:35 PM

Male/18

No, they should remain just as alert as they were last year when they set off that other bomb. If someone were to try another terrorist attempt at the winter olympics as they did at the summer ones I believe a regular sized force could keep them in check as good as a larger sized one could.

little? Why?

I believe it is a good amount, you realize the saftey the country that hosts the olympic games puts out for the games themselves reflects upon that country to the rest of the world.

Nope

Not show up

Charley
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:49:13 PM
Thank you to all who took time from their busy schedules to answer my survey. Confidentiality will be maintained, of course. Your earnest responses will go a good way into ensuring that I get an A and utterly kick mondo ass on this project.

HaeLari Draevyn
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:55:38 PM
You're welcome! :) :) :) :) :) :)