PDA

View Full Version : Ship Names

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:33:31 AM
Because there are so many groups and so many ships floating around this place, it can be hard to think of a new ship name without taking one that is already used. So, as a suggestion, why doesn't everyone gather all of their ship names and post them here. What group they belong to or what kind of ship it is doesn't matter, so only include names.

If everybody pitches in, I could then arrange them in alphabetical order and edit them all in this one post. It might take some time, but I think that once it is organized, this can be used as a reference and make name choosing a lot easier, especially since you'd know if it was taken or not. What do you think?

Sumor Rayial
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:48:47 AM
I actually use a different form based on rl that makes this less of a problem and allows any name to be taken by any group.

In rl each country has a designation before any ship registered to it. US=USS Can=HMCS Brit=HMS etc.

I think of ship names along the same line. Each group has their own "tag" usually at least two of the letters from a groups short form. ie TGE=GES The Conclave=TCS etc.

Noone ever posts the tag in front of their ship names cause if your posting then people know whose ship it is, but thinking along these lines alows you to use names that have already been used by other groups.

Varlon Konrad
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:03:42 AM
An excellent suggestion Sumor. Also, due to the sheer number of ships usually in a groups navy, I've only taken to naming Super Star Destroyers and other command ships (or battle stations). That way the number of names is incredibly lower. Perhaps a combination of both?

Darth Viscera
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:03:43 PM
Ships can be assigned numbers, and then named as needed. Just name it the first time you use it in an RP.

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:30:36 PM
Both ideas are good, so nevermind this.

Lord Gue
Feb 28th, 2002, 08:18:47 PM
Ship numbering is all fine and dandy, but when you only have a hand full of ships at a time its best to personalized ships with names, such as my "The Hope"