PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: Change avatar-sig limit to sig-only limit

Champion of the Force
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:55:36 AM
Presently the FAQ are as follows:

Q: What are avatars and signatures?
A: These are options that vBulletin has that a poster may use when posting:

* An avatar is a picture with a maximum size of 150x150 that, when enabled, is displayed underneath your name when you post. It can be added in the Control Panel, which can be found by following the link button near the top of the forum page. Currently you may only add an Avatar if it's file size is equal to or less that 15kb.

* A personal signature is an option where, when enabled, you can have text and/or pictures to appear below any posts that you make. They can serve to inform others of who you are, what you do and so on.

Note that if your signature becomes too large it can become distracting for other members. It is therefore recommended that you either keep your signatures short, or else avoid posting your signature more than once per thread so other members don't have to keep seeing it all the time.

Q: Is there a limit to how big or how many images I'm allowed?
A: Yes there is. In order to help keep the loading time of the board adequate for most users the administration have placed a restriction on images.

You may not use images in posts where the total filesize of the images together exceeds 30kb. Remember this includes ALL images in your post, not each image individually.

If you are intending to make use of images please be aware of these image limitations and be sure to check your image filesizes beforehand.
My suggestion is, for simplicities sake, to change the rule from including both avatar and signature to being signature only.

Already the board has an avatar limit (150x150, 15kb), and as such we no longer really need to dictate avatar sizes anymore. added to this that some posters tend to forget to include their avatar when totalling their images used in posts, it might be easier for all if the limit was the signature only and set it at something around 25kb-30kb.

The big downside that I can see is that if we were to make a signature limit and it was anything less than 30kb, it may put a lot of posters off-guard since some have deliberately downgraded or even abandoned their avatars to fully exploit the 30kb for their signatures. So anything less than 30kb may leave a lot of posters over the new limit which may have to be considered.

Any thoughts? Obviously if any change was decided upon it should be then brought to the posters for discussion before any change is implemented.

Charley
Feb 13th, 2002, 06:04:07 AM
Since this place is mucho-faster than EZ can ever be...I think we should forget about tallying avatars, and only tally the sig into the 30k limit. Personally, I'd like to see the limit at 40k, but I'm diplomatic :p

Champion of the Force
Feb 13th, 2002, 06:06:49 AM
I don't think there'd be any opposition from the poster end about having the 30kb limit involve the signature only, but it's up to Nup and Ogre as to whether the old board can take the extra strain. :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:57:39 AM
Well, if it is only the sigs at 30k ... would make things easier lol.. but I have noticed a few posters and love using the full capacity of the 15K personal pic ... but I am good either way. I am the sig zapper after all :)

Would be easier with just siggy ^_^

Q
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:53:06 PM
I'm for only counting signature images.

As a point of note: Since avatars are stored locally (and, if you visit often, they're probably cached), it means that they don't really affect loading times.

And LL: No real need to up it to 40k. You can get just about any image to look good at 30k.

JMK
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:31:37 PM
True dat! 30k is ample size I think.

Champion of the Force
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:49:52 PM
So we're cool with a 30kb limit for sigs?

I'll propose it in OOC and the Boxoffice forum if everyone is happy.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:21:50 AM
Sounds Okay to me as long as I don't lose my sig.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:37:33 AM
I'm good with it :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:55:52 AM
Ok, the proposal has been posted in both OOC and Boxoffice.

In reagrds to the FAQ, how do we want to phrase it? Using the above quoted FAQ as a guide, I would suggest we delete outright the 2nd part and simply add on the 30kb limit onto the signature description (like we've done for avatars).

Champion of the Force
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:19:13 AM
I have done a preliminary change to see how everyone likes it. Here it is:

Q: What are avatars and signatures?
A: These are options that vBulletin has that a poster may use when posting:

* An avatar is a picture with a maximum size of 150x150 that, when enabled, is displayed underneath your name when you post. It can be added in the Control Panel, which can be found by following the link button near the top of the forum page. Currently you may only add an avatar if it's file size is equal to or less that 15kb.

* A personal signature is an option where, when enabled, you can have text and/or pictures to appear below any posts that you make. They can serve to inform others of who you are, what you do and so on. Currently signatures are to be limited to 30kb or less.

Note that if your signature becomes too large it can become distracting for other members. It is therefore recommended that you either keep your signatures short, or else avoid posting your signature more than once per thread so other members don't have to keep seeing it all the time.
The bolded part in the signatures description is the change I've made. I've also removed the entire second part detailing the limits since it seemed to be needlessly repeating information.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:52:30 AM
:)

Champion of the Force eh? :p

TheHolo.Net
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:57:37 PM
I wonder if he wishes he could change his real name as often as he changes his vB name? :p

I'm good with the change as stated above. :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:35:54 PM
Champion of the Force eh?
Nothing new - I've been using this name at places like TFN since 1999. After seeing LL revert back to his old name I thought it was time to get into 'SW mode'. :)