PDA

View Full Version : AOTC toys at NYC Toy Fair

Jedieb
Feb 11th, 2002, 11:02:59 AM
I've been drooling over the pictures that have been showing up from this year's Toy Fair in NYC. The new line looks simply AMAZING! The figures not only look great, but they're loaded with features that should make the line more kid friendly than it was before. One of the main focuses of the TPM line was the COMMTech chip/stand and it was a resounding flop with both collectors and kids. This time around the figures have magnets and other little treats that really add play value. The sculpting is simply phenomenal. Hasbro is using real scan technology in addition to traditional sculpting methods and the the results are impressive. The vehicles also have more play features and electronics than the first time around. But the biggest surprise was the playset. To describe it in detail is to give away some spoilers so I'll say simply one thing; WOOOOWWWW!!! If you've been disappointed with the modern playsets Hasbro has cranked out then your prayers have been answered. This new playset rivals the vintage Death Star. It's that good and I can see kids spending hours playing with the thing.

If you want to have a look I suggest www.rebelscum.com . Their coverage is excellent and they've got some spoiler warnings if you just want to check out some basic pics. My wallet is screaming in agony as I write this. Ooooo the toys... :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 11th, 2002, 01:28:36 PM
Hopefully this time they won't make so many that they will be sitting around Walmart for 3 years, I can still find a few TPM figures even now (Toys R Us has a few) I liked TPM's figures, they probably shouldn't have done the comn chip thing ( I think they had so many of those devices that Walmart finally started to give them away) The new ones do look cool though, I can't wait for them to come out, I better start saving my money now for them.

Darth23
Feb 11th, 2002, 06:50:31 PM
They didnt' make too many - they made to many of the first batch.

The local grocery store STILL has some that they are trying to sell for 8.19 each. :lol

Onlr 1 JJ figure, a bunch of Obi Wans some Anakins a a HUGE number of Qui Gon's

I think the stores got caught up in the hype, and ordered a truck load of the initial figures. The peopelwho buy the thingas bout 1 or 2 of each, but they had a bunch left cause the kiddies were ripping themselves off on $25 Poke-cards.

So when the next waves came out - not many were ordered, or maybe even none, because they still had so many of the first ones. There are some figures I have NEVER seen in the stores - even when they went for a few bucks.

I also think that Hasbro, and the others made TOO MUCH Star Wars stuff. Too many different products. Those stupid hand held games were prolly the worst products.

I liked the puzzzles tho. :)

Jedieb
Feb 11th, 2002, 07:25:18 PM
Actually there were 5 JJ's for EP1 and 1 for POTJ.
Jar Jar
Swimming Jar Jar
Jar Jar Binks (from Gungan Assault Cannon)
Jar Jar Binks (from Kaadu)
Mos Espa Encounter [Sebulba, Jar Jar Binks, Anakin Skywalker]

POTJ
Jar Jar Binks (Tatooine)

The first two listed were carded EP1 figures, the next 2 were pack-ins, and the fifth listed was part of an early Cinema Scene. The first Jar Jar and the Mos Espa Jar Jar are perfect examples of why the line struggled. Like you said D23, Hasbro made too much, stores ordered too much, and it ended up gathering dust. So stores were reluctant to reorder new waves. Most people, unless they were fanatical like me and made several toy runs a week, never saw Swimming Jar Jar and subsequent EP1 figures. Even I never saw many of these figures more than once or twice at retail. The over production killed the line for casual collectors and kids alike. Even many collectors such as myself simply got burned out and abandoned the line. This time around SHOULD be different. Hasbro AND retailers have no excuse this time. They have solid sales data to work with and even a better product. The line should work much better this time.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 11th, 2002, 11:59:21 PM
I know did you know there was a Sio Bibble figure? Some collector had one and he charged 50 bucks for it (of course I would not pay it) They finally came out with a Shim that I found at Target, I will probably go to Target instead of Walmart or Toys R us Walmart just stinks, at least the one near me. Just curious how many Qui-Gon's were there I have 5 versions but I could have missed one for all I know.

Jedieb
Feb 12th, 2002, 09:37:54 AM
I got Sio, I got them all and it was a nightmare. I was one of those stubborn fools that kept plugging along. The overproduction caused fans to miss out on some really neat figures. Holographic Sidious and repel-line Amidala come quickly to mind. Here's a quick run down of the Qui-Gon glut, and believe me, it was OVERKILL!

Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Duel)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Knight)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Deluxe)
Qui-Gon Jinn (w/Eopie) (this one wasn't even sold in the U.S. because retailers wouldn't order it after poor sales of the Opee)
Tatooine Showdown [Darth Maul, Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin Skywalker]
Qui-Gon Jinn Holograph (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Qui-Gon Jinn (w/Opee)
Qui-Gon Jinn (from Theed Hangar)
But wait there's more!
POTJ
Qui-Gon Jinn (Mos Espa Disguise)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Training Gear)

And even more!
New EP2 line
Qui Gon (I've only seen a pic but it looks like he's going to be one of the "classic" figures incorporated into the new line.)

Is that enough Qui-Gon for a 4 year period?

JMK
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:02:43 AM
That is so sad. There's just no justifying that many variations of one character. Collector or not, at some point, enough is enough!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:22:25 AM
Well I only have 5 and I never even saw the rest. He was my favorite character from TPM but I don't think he deserved that many figures Is it clear that new Qui-Gon is from TPM or is some spoiler secert from AOTC (like him appearing as a spirt or something) I am just curious, I am hoping he pops up somehow but who really can tell I remember hearing Nesson was in Easlin(sp) where they were doing reshoots but he may have just stopped by to say hello.

Jedieb
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:42:43 AM
The new line will have new Han(w/thermal detonator), Chewie, and 3-PO(break a-part) figures. So a Qui-Gon figure doesn't necessarily have to have any bearing on AOTC. The figure is not a translucent ghost figure like the Spirit of Obi-Wan figure or the Spirit Cinema Scene of Yoda, Ben, and Anakin. But there was a solid adult Anakin figure made with lightsaber so what do I know?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:50:32 AM
I didn't know about the others, I guess I can hope that he is the movie, I guess its doubtfull they would reveal that kind of information with an action figure (at least I hope not)

Jedieb
Feb 13th, 2002, 01:23:33 PM
Here's a quick list of what we should see on April 22nd.

STAR WARS COLLECTION I BASIC FIGURES ($5.99-$6.99) (15 figures)
ANAKIN SKYWALKER, OUTLAND PEASANT DISGUISE
PADME AMIDALA, ARENA ESCAPE
OBI-WAN KENOBI, CORUSCANT CHASE
SUPER BATTLE DROID
C-3PO, PROTOCOL DROID
KIT FISTO, JEDI MASTER
JANGO FETT, KAMINO ESCAPE
ZAM WESELL, BOUNTY HUNTER
CLONE TROOPER
YODA, JEDI MASTER
ANAKIN SKYWALKER, HANGER DUEL
COUNT DOOKU, DARK LORD
MACE WINDU, GEONOSIAN RESCUE
DARTH VADER, BESPIN DUEL
LUKE SKYWALKER, BESPIN DUEL.

STAR WARS COLLECTION II BASIC FIGURES ($5.99-6.99) (11 figures)
SHAAK TI, JEDI MASTER
BOBA FETT, KAMINO ESCAPE
TUSKEN RAIDER FEMALE WITH TUSKEN CHILD
BATTLE DROID, ARENA BATTLE
PLO KOON, ARENA BATTLE
GEONASIAN WARRIOR
JAR JAR BINKS, GUNGAN SENATOR
SAESEE TIIN, JEDI MASTER
NIKTO JEDI KNIGHT
ROYAL GUARD, CORUSCANT SECURITY
LUMINARA UNDUH, JEDI MASTER

EPISODE II DELUXE FIGURES $9.99 (5 figures)
JANGO FETT w/electronic backpack, blaster pistols, missile launcher.
OBI-WAN KENOBI w/flipping action base
COUNT DOOKU w/ flipping action base
MACE WINDU & BATTLEDROIDForce Power Attack
NEXU Arena Beast & ANAKIN SKYWALKER.

STAR WARS ATTACK BEASTS $14.99
REEK
ACKLAY

CORUSCANT SPEEDER VEHICLES $10.99
ANAKIN SKYWALKER'S SPEEDER
ZAM WESELL'S SPEEDER.

VEHICLES $19.99
JEDI STARFIGHTER ($19.99)
SLAVE I, JANGO FETT ($24.99)
REPUBLIC GUNSHIP ($39.99)

PLAYSETS
ARENA PLAYSET ($39.99) I thought this would be much more expensive!) (Availability: fall)

I left out the 12? figures, micro machines, and the role playing toys. This is all I?ll be getting that first night. I wish that playset would come out sooner. Man that thing is sweeeet!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 13th, 2002, 01:43:09 PM
I'm sure they will release more later on probably after the movie comes out. One thing what about the bigger figures? Like the one of Darth Maul that you couldn't find after the first day, I was hoping they have one of Jango.

Jedieb
Feb 13th, 2002, 07:37:06 PM
You refer to the ones called "Unleashed." These were once called Gen-Y figures. We MAY see all of the following on the 22nd:
DARTH MAUL
JANGO FETT (This one has Boba as well and it looks great although I don't believe it was shown at ToyFair.)
ANAKIN SKYWALKER
DARTH VADER
PADME AMIDALA

I've heard that the Vader may not be ready until the fall. These LOOK great, but they have no articulation and are in the 6" range. The Vader is the only one that's captured my interest. I like it because it depicts one of my favorite scenes from the OT and it looks as if it's made to set aside a future one handed Bespin Luke. Put those figurs together and your desk at work will be the envy of geeks everywhere. These are suppose to retail for around $15. I think that's pretty pricey for figures that don't do much. I don't expect these t be very successful. Epic Force fizzled and I predict these will at well. But if you like 'em, grab 'em!

Jedieb
Feb 21st, 2002, 08:53:35 AM
On a related note.... I GOT MY FIRST EP2 TOY!!!
THE LEGO Jedi Starfighter is shipping to Targets and WalMarts and it appears retailers are putting them on the shelves. It's retailing for $20 and looks like a sweet toy. LEGO has done an exceptional job with their SW toys and this first AOTC toy looks like it's no exception. If your only going to be dipping your toys into the SW toy waters, this looks like a great toy to start with. I can't wait to get off from work so I can put it together!

BTW, the next AOTC figures should be the four preview figures and they're suppose to hit retail in early to mid March.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:58:12 PM
Thats cool, Jango is one of the preview figures right. He will be my first purchase. By the way Jedieb, have you seen pictures of the interactive R2D2, it moves and it does what you command, it looks way cool, I think I found my nephew's Christmas present.

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:48:28 AM
That Artoo is about 18" tall and comes equipped with a cup holder. I'll never have to get up off the couch on fall Sundays again!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:59:30 AM
Man that is cool just tell Artoo to bring me another drink please. Still, I wonder how well it would work? Some of these interactive toys don't operate like they should look at those dumb Furbies or the Interactive Yoda, I bought one on discount and it has never really worked properly. Hopefully the R2 is an improvement over the previous models, but it does still look cool.

Jedieb
Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:01:26 AM
One of the highlights of Toy Fair was the beautiful 25th Anniversary Darth Vader given out free to guests. These figures have now made it to the Fan Club. It's $12 if your a member, $15 if you're not. I spent 3 hours getting mine last night. The rush of orders swamped Wizards' servers last night and the Fan Club wasn't taking any phone orders. It looks like I could have waited because there are still some left this morning. The Fan Club has wisely imposed a limit of 2 per day and 4 per week to prevent scalpers from gobbling them up. I got 2 for $30 after shipping while one of these is going for over $250 on ebay. THE FAN CLUB VADERS ARE NO DIFFERENT FROM THE ONES GIVEN AWAY AT TOY FAIR!!! Don't go near ebay if you want one of these. The Fan Club will take longer, but it will be A LOT CHEAPER. Here's a quick link if you want to see what all the fuss is about:

http://swfan.wizards.com/Product.asp?ProductID=7665

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:05:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jedieb! I haven't bought a SW toy since Nov 2001, but all that changed this morning! :D

Jedieb
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:29:01 PM
Glad I could help. Here's an indication of how hot these Vader's are, the Fan Club just stopped taking orders this Sunday morning. It looks like they've gone through their initial supply and it's unclear if they will be receiving any more. If these show up again they could make an appearance at SW Con2. I'm starting to think that the exclusive SW Con2 figure will get the same metallic treatment and Anniversary cardback that the Vader got. I'd wish Wizard would release some definitive info on that figure!