PDA

View Full Version : Potentially a "questionable" question...

JMK
Feb 10th, 2002, 09:17:48 PM
Hopefully that subject made sense. :p

I wanted to know about a certain teen who posts mainly in the B.O. Forum. I'm sure those who go there know who I'm talking about? I think alot of folks in the forum can't stand his arrogance andhis insistance that he is right all the time. He's gotten himself into some hot water with alot of people over time and I was wondering what the general protocol is when dealing with this guy? Sure he doesn't techically break any rules, but has any of the mods/admins (past or present) ever have a little one on one with him? His posts have a way of rubbing people the wrong way...

I don't want to be accused of talking behind people's backs, but I just got to know about the guy! :lol

Champion of the Force
Feb 10th, 2002, 09:34:38 PM
I let Carr handle him. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:33:24 PM
Thanks, I have talked to a few times not recently I haven't PM yet I was waiting for him to do something stupid. He hasn't really done anything for months, he has rarely been around here to do anything recently (I guess until today) If you would like to talk to him JMK go ahead I have got into a few arguments with him, I think he is pretty neutral with you, I could handle him I have just been waiting for the right moment.

JMK
Feb 11th, 2002, 11:05:41 AM
No, it isn't that I thought he's done anything "wrong". Of course, with this AOTC prediction thread, he is acting like his predictions are concrete and just laughing of everyone else. I have nothing to gripe about right now, it's just that I know that the time will come (probably after AOTC comes out) where he will get a little out of hand. I remember after the Sept 11 attacks he and Jedieb were going at it pretty hard. Jedieb thought his attitude towards serving his country was disgusting, and I thought his attitude was deplorable. I just want to be prepared for the next time he has an arrogant outburst like that.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 11th, 2002, 01:37:56 PM
I remember that I tried to step in and stop it (I wasn't a mod then) I do think that was a different situation though, everybody was acting a little crazy so I doubt it will ever get that bad (at least I hope not). Still I can remember the time he and Buff went at it, at that time though they both were at fault, Jon made some off remark about something Buff said and Buff started to call him names, I told them to stop that it wasn't polite and told them to apologize, it worked luckily, Jon I think listens to me so I am not too woried. Actually he seems to calmed down on that Aotc predriction thread I commented that Jedieb had the most reasonable guess and Jon actually agreed with me. I am suprised he didn't get into with Marcus (DT) I disagreed with him an dsaid why, of course I am not like Jon and wouldn't call him a moron, I respect peoples' opinions, but Jon hasn't said a word to me, I have no clue why. Hopefully that won't change.

imported_Eve
Feb 12th, 2002, 08:10:42 AM
What would you tell him? To tone down his opinions? I know YOU know we can't do that as mods.

There are many people at these forums that rub people the wrong way. Usually I find that they end up digging their own hole. They bring such a reputation on themselves after a time and no one responds to their topics. Until then I think we all have to just put up with it, unless they actually violate a rule.

If he is offensive, and not just strong opinioned and stubborn, then I would talk to him (not ME talk to him, just what I would do).

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:28:37 AM
That is my opinion on the matter the only two times I ever said anything too is when he was calling people names (the two fights I mentioned and I wasn't a mod then) recently he is just been opinionated and I rather not say anything to him about that as long he doesn't resort to name calling (I know Jedieb never liked the moron thing) or picking fights or something then I will have a talk with but lately he has been behaving himself.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2002, 03:02:42 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean I wanted to talk to him now, but his past history would indicate that he would need a talking to eventually. I would never get in his face about his opinion, but only when he started with the name calling and believing his opinions are facts. I remember when he was talking about the Majestic and calling it a great great film as if it was fact. He couldn't admit that it was his opinion. That kind of thing always rubbed me the wrong way, also the "if someone thinks this, then they're absurd and not worth talking to, lol". But I don't think I'd say anything about that unless everyone was visibly bothered by it.

Charley
Feb 13th, 2002, 06:10:51 AM
LOL and the saga of Jon continues...

Q
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:59:48 PM
If he's really problematic, he'll probably dig his own grave. Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself.

JMK
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:28:46 PM
What I just realized is that before the last post, his name was never mentioned, but we all knew who was the subject of discussion! :lol

Champion of the Force
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:54:41 PM
If he's really problematic, he'll probably dig his own grave.
The problem is that he never realises he's digging a grave. I was particularly concerned in a post made by him a couple of months ago where he stated he didn't believe his posts come off as being arrogant. |I

ReaperFett
Feb 13th, 2002, 05:01:31 PM
I think we'd lose something if he went though. His likes are so varied (Despises Lock, Stock, loves Snatch), it'd get boring in some debates(He's the other one who likes Tomb Raider and M:I2:))

Q
Feb 13th, 2002, 10:42:52 PM
[insert cheap shot at Reaperfett here]

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2002, 12:03:49 AM
LOL. Seriously I don't mind his opinions, I disagree with some people say on this board its the way he acts sometimes towards or at least used to, he toned it down since his last rant somewhat, hopefully nothing will happen that we will need to even think about banning him.

Champion of the Force
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:33:12 AM
As long as he doesn't start bashing newcomers who come along and say 'I hope Ep. 2 is better than TPM - it sucked', I'll be cool with him. :)

(for our colleagues who aren't in the know, Jon considers TPM to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and often takes offense whenever someone says something different)

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:39:19 AM
[insert cheap shot at Reaperfett here]

I just realised who Q is :)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 14th, 2002, 03:56:09 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

I just realised who Q is :) :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:10:11 PM
Yeah that is my only worry him bashing a newbie, if that happens I guess I will have to talk to him, but I will worry about that only if it happens. Speaking of that I have another question, what about Trolls that come in here to bash or if a certain wierdo (I'm certain most remember him) comes back saying that there is a conspiracy on EP2's box office gross. How should we approach them?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:15:27 PM
Depending on the severity of the trolling no warning need be given before banning the username. If its just polite criticism then that’s one thing, but if its just to bash or flame others give then the axe, but move at least one of their posts here so that we all know what was being done. :) As for the other thing you are mentioning I’m not quite sure I understand but it sounds somewhat like someone with a very close minded viewpoint which can easily be proven to be just that by intellectual responses with actual factual basis behind it.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:49:14 PM
I am guessing you weren't here or just forgot about the infamous Jedi1116 (or something like that I can't remember the numbers that went on the end of his name, I am sure Jedieb remebers but I sure wouldn't ask him) he was here when TPM came out and he started saying that Fox was lying about how much TPM actually made he gave no proof but just his opinion. He then went bonkers as I remembered and said that Jedieb and a couple of others were part of the conspiracy. Maybe JMK or Davjw (now Champions of the Force I see :p) could tell the story better than me, I was kind of new to the board back then but I mostly ignored his insane remarks. Some of the other members fear that he may return when AOTC comes out (for all I know he may already be amoung us under another assumed name)

As far as the trolls thanks for clearing that I been wondering recently what to do if one appeared, I figure we could have a couple when the movie comes so I just want to be prepared.

Champion of the Force
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:41:22 PM
I am guessing you weren't here or just forgot about the infamous Jedi1116
Jedi3167 :)

Even if he was using an assumed username I think we'd spot him a mile off. However I doubt he'd resort to another username - we've banned him before and he came back with an 'a' tacked on the end.

Speaking of which, he may already be banned here. Nup transferred the ban list from the old board when we moved here, so he may still be banned. I'll take a look.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:16:01 PM
Ok I couldn't remember his name, he could add some more numbers to his name to, but is there anyway to ban his IP in case he comes back and add numbers?

Champion of the Force
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:27:05 PM
I've had a look. There are 3 e-mail addresses banned but there are also 3 usernames banned here (which aren't him) so those e-mail addresses probably belong to them. There's also a couple of IP addresses banned but I wouldn't have the faintest idea if they were his or not.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:37:45 PM
Hopefully that would mean he can't come back but unfortuntely I pretty sure he can a new email address pretty easily (hotmail gives them out to anybody) if his IP address his banned that would make it difficult but all he would have to do is change Internet providers, so we may have not seen the last of him:\

JMK
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:53:33 PM
Well I think you're right though. We would smell one of his posts a mile away, and if he's not going to post his conspiracy crap, then he won't come at all. I don't think we'll see him again, but then again "hard to see the dark side is"! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:24:29 AM
Yeah lets pray he is still in that instution that Jedieb said he was held up in. If he gets out I will take care of him:shootin :duel

CMJ
Apr 10th, 2002, 05:37:11 PM
Sorry for digging this up guys, but being re-instated as a moderator I was going through some old threads.

Jedi3167 is someone I worry about coming back as well Carr. He was by far the most annoying character I've ever encountered in all my time on the board. He accused Dutchy, HAL9000(an old poster from ages ago), and me among other...of being the same person. He would have numerous threads tied up up with his conspiracy nonsense ramblings. It was almost fun in a sadistic kind of way to deal withe guy.

JMK
Apr 10th, 2002, 08:45:54 PM
:lol Just don't say his name 3 times in a row!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2002, 09:53:17 PM
LOL, I hope he doesn't return but who knows really, if he shows up we just ban him since he has been banned before we can ban him under any new nicks right.

CMJ
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:18:51 AM
I remember banning him at least once, but he just changed names(like David said). I don't think I had IP ban capabilitis back then, and if I did, maybe the clown just changed computers.

I know for a fact that I banned him on at least one occasion. I have alot of patience with people, but he even got too much for me to take after MONTHS. Plus the guy would leave for awhile and then pop back up and make the place miserable for awhile. I used to call it "fire bombing".

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:04:26 AM
I remember some of that, he was a real pain, I think if he came back it would be somewhere after the release of EP2 and we will have to bain him again. Not sure if we IP banning back then have to ask Ogre if that is a new feature, we can also ban by email address but I think David said he though that a couple emal adresses of his have already been banned, but heck these days you can get tons of email adresses, since there are countless free email account sites out there.

JMK
Apr 11th, 2002, 01:33:36 PM
IMO, if he wants to get back in, he will and we will only be able to stop him after he shows himself...

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2002, 06:16:18 PM
By the way..the original person we we speaking about in this thread(Mr. Bowen) is testing my nerves more than normal. How about the rest of you?? I almost pulled out my hair at one of his posts a couple days ago. ;)

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 07:36:39 PM
I raise my brow to his posts on a weekly basis. Which one in particular are you referring to?

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2002, 07:49:18 PM
Oh yeah..he irritates me often...but this one for some reason got me. It was in Jedieb's teaching thread....
What a winner of a post this is....:P

"That writing thing is insulting, haha, j/k. Most fifth graders are not that stupid though are they?!

I was quite intelligent as a fifth grader and at my school we started writing research papers of a significant length in 4th grade. By 5th grade I was already a fairly good writer for that age anyway and those questions seem more like they would be right for 2nd graders perhaps (I could barely read in second grade, haha, but in 5th? Come on, we were reading encyclopedias by that time...)."

WHAT the HELL!?

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 07:53:39 PM
He tends to think WAY too much of himself. As evidenced in that last quote, and the fact that he passes off all of his opinions as facts. It doesn't matter the topic of discussion, whether it be the 9/11 attacks and serving his country, all the way up to movie reviews and box office perfomance. It sometimes sickens me.

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:01:03 PM
Yeah...I know...he sometimes gets under my skin...REALLY deep I might add. It's a shame, because he's a really intelligent lad, but he has no human interaction shills...unless you're willing to be subserviant to him and his opinions.

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:32:35 PM
You're right. He admits to not having many real friends, and I can see how. He comes off as a rich, snobby, elitist brat that's had everything handed to him, and can't see beyond his own nose.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2002, 09:19:25 PM
I know he is really getting on my nerves on the Changing Lanes thread, he basically called me an idiot for calling JoyRide a horror film, I think he just doesn't see it that way, man its like trying to convince somebody that the sky is blue when they say its green. I responded back and told him my opinion I have no clue how he will respond. Between him and Sir Dizzy I have no clue who is worse.

JMK
Apr 17th, 2002, 06:02:34 AM
I wonder if he writes his reviews like that on his website? That's all fine and dandy if he does, it's his site, but if he ever wants public recognition, then he's best change his attitude. Who would put up with that?

CMJ
Apr 17th, 2002, 08:04:47 AM
His reviews are much more reasonable...you can still see his bias but it's MUCH more hidden. I wish he posted like that. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 17th, 2002, 08:41:10 AM
I know I do too, I also wonder how he acts in real life, if he acts that way in a college classroom he would get kicked out, only the professors get to act that way :p

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 17th, 2002, 09:00:59 AM
I am not going to argue with him any more on the issue he still think he knows what everybody thinks so I am just going to drop it I can only make matters worse.

CMJ
Apr 17th, 2002, 09:34:02 AM
Man, he had a couple of real vicious posts today.... I thought he'd been getting better lately, but perhaps he's not. Still...3 years ago, he was REALLY bad.

JMK
Apr 17th, 2002, 12:41:26 PM
He's always been the same to me. I haven't seen any change in him whatsoever, and I doubt I ever will. Except for when he hits 25 years old, or gets a girlfriend! He won't get away with so much with one!

JMK
Apr 17th, 2002, 12:59:21 PM
Here's proof:
People that have never seen a Star Wars film are simply uncultured heathens. They need to be educated. This usually refers to the girls, who seriously need a wake up call and need to become at least a LITTLE knowledgable about our culture, i.e. the planet Earth.

WTF is that???????

CMJ
Apr 17th, 2002, 01:32:52 PM
Yeah thats up there with some of his all-time posts alright. Personally JMK I do think he's improved over the years...three years ago he REALLY pissed me off consistently. I think he's grown up marginally..I'd say he has the maturity level of a 13 year old instead of about 9(which is how he used to be). ;)

I really wish he'd grow up...I mean sometimes I can't help but like the kid. He's smart as a tack and he can be nice(on occasion). I really thought college was gonna help him grow up...and of course he dropped out. ;) There went that plan.

JMK
Apr 17th, 2002, 01:42:27 PM
Ah well, what are we going to do with him? Almost everyone in this forum has at least once told him to not force his opinions on others and make them out to be factual. I doubt that will ever change.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 17th, 2002, 06:03:00 PM
Where was that from JMK? The one about the Phantom Menace returns? He hasn't been pissing me off lately until this week with the whole horror movie thing. I think he does need to grow up and I figure college would help if he would go back. I am wondering if he left because the College professors told him off. Oh well there is not much we can do but just hope he does tell of some newbie.

JMK
Apr 17th, 2002, 09:56:02 PM
I guess he didn't see eye to eye with some aspect of the school and he quit.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 18th, 2002, 08:36:10 PM
I'm a little surprised Jon hasn't responded in that thread maybe he doesn't want to start a fight or realized he was wrong and just doesn't want to admit it, what ever his reason, I am glad he hasn't said any more.

JMK
Apr 18th, 2002, 09:18:57 PM
I agree, I think he's realized that he put his foot in his mouth and that no one is going to side with him on this one. Let's just try and let this thread die. Although, I gotta admit, a part of me does want to hear what he has to say next about it...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 18th, 2002, 09:30:14 PM
I am not going to say anything in it, I would rather the thread die myself.