PDA

View Full Version : Starfighters

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:34:31 PM
IMO ... starfighters should be considered part of a capital ship design. IOW ... I don't think they should have to be subject to build times. The logistics of keeping track of squadrons coming out of a yard is just nuts. They are neglible 6-12 meter, streamlined vessels.

Current ruling is that they have to be built per the contruction rules time requirements. That's why I dedicated a shipyard soley to starfighter construction. So if it has to be that way, okay. Problem is we don't have a list of our starfighter strength ... and neither does anyone else as far as I can find.

So as a compromise ... for the capital ships we already have built, can we say that they already have their full compliment of standard starfighters included. (Just X, Y, E, B, and A wings. Custom tech will have to be built).

If we do have to count them for building times ... then they should count toward the overall cap as well. Bear that in mind. Do you really want to add in several thousand 4-6 meter buggers onto your total quota? You'll have to factor not only the length of your ship itself, but the starfighter capacity and length of each class therein as well. That's why I want people to consider just not counting them in building or cap rules at all.

To clarify ... Blastboats, gunships, freighters, shuttles, and trasports are more significant to a fleet's strength. So those need to be built per the rules we decide on. I'm only talking starfighters smaller than a B-wing.

Darth Viscera
Feb 10th, 2002, 07:03:00 PM
I second that motion.
Light/Medium starfighters come packaged with every new starship, so long as the starfighter is 14 meters or below. Agreed?

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 10th, 2002, 07:42:25 PM
Yeah, and say you're making an ISD have all TIE Advanced rather than 4 TIE squads and 2 TIE Bomber squads(or whatever), it should still be included with the ship's building time. Same goes for when you replace a starship's fighter compliment with your own researched design.

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 10th, 2002, 08:15:05 PM
In other words, the proposal as it stands now is...

All capital ships come with a package of their full compliment of STANDARD starfighters and basic shuttles included. This includes those 1-2 crew ships less than 14 meters. Blastboats, Gunships, Missile boats, freighters, assault shuttles, and troop transports are separate.

Standard NR fighters would include X, Y, A, and B Wings. If we wish to replace those with more advanced ships or custom tech (X-Wing/adv, C, E, K, W, etc) we have to add to the build time accordingly or build them separate.

IMO, Standard Imp fighters would be TIE fighters, bombers, and interceptors. TIE/Adv, Razors, and whatever else you guys have made are over that.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 10th, 2002, 09:36:58 PM
This sounds good to me and I agree will definately make life easier on us.

Though since this was brought up in another thread going to bring it up here.

Perhaps cut the build time now to reflect that? Not by a lot, but by cutting 50 meters a day off should compinsate for the build time that would be required if we were going to have to build fighters.

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 10th, 2002, 10:19:37 PM
How about instead of lengthening the build times as suggested by Marcus, we use he starfighter thing as justification for keeping them the same. :)

I should also point out that replacing starfighters still requires construction times. Or do we want to go so far as to say that standard 14 meter or smaller ships are exempt?

Sumor Rayial
Feb 10th, 2002, 10:39:58 PM
That sounds fine to me.

Daegal Murdoch
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:04:10 PM
Sounds good to me as well.

Darth Viscera
Feb 11th, 2002, 06:41:56 AM
Why can't TIE Advanceds and TIE Defenders (the original versions from TIE Fighter and XWA) be considered standard Imp fighters? An X-Wing, A-Wing or B-Wing is worth 5 squints, and that would give the NR a clear advantage.

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2002, 04:02:05 PM
Defenders are meant to be better than X-Wings

Darth Viscera
Feb 11th, 2002, 04:55:34 PM
B-Wings were designed at the same time as Advanceds and Defenders, and are far more capable anti-ship wise. I think that this request is reasonable; we'd still be limited to two effective starfighters (outfitted with hyperdrives, shields) while the NR would have 4.

Khan Surak
Feb 11th, 2002, 04:57:46 PM
I concur with Viscera. If one played the original TIE Fighter, they would know that TIE Advanced were were well distributed in the Imperial Navy; TIE Defenders however were a high prize. If you think of it now, many years in the future, they would both be much more common.

Blastboats, Gunships, Missile boats, freighters, assault shuttles, and troop transports are separate.

Assault Gunboats were well spread throughout the Empire. Nearly as much as the TIE Interceptor. Granted, Missile Boats were expensive and would be built seperately. I do think, though, that Assault Gunboats should be in the main package with the other standard fighters.

And I thank Garm for bringing this up. :)

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 11th, 2002, 11:16:47 PM
The Assault Gunboat is basically an armed Lamda of sorts, right?. Yes if Defenders and Advs are included, so would this.

I was referring more to the Skipray Blastboat and others of the size as seperate.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 12th, 2002, 02:21:48 AM
Gunboats are more like what would come out if you frankenstined a Lamda and a TIE Bomber. You get more warhead payload, a pair of lasers, and a pair of ion cannons. It's slow like the Bomber, but decent sheilds and hull ratings.

Varlon Konrad
Feb 12th, 2002, 03:48:25 PM
Like Sumor said, the Alpha class XG-1 Star Wing is basically a Lambda shuttle strapped in heavy armour, powerful shields, and mounted with an array of anti-starfighter and small capital ship weapons. They're better at attacking capital ships and dogfighting than Bombers, but they lack the versitility that the Bomber has (hence its continued service). All and all, I'd include the XG-1 as a standard starfighter or the Scimitar Assault Bomber (advanced TIE bomber developed during Thrawn's campaign against the NR) if the XG-1 doesn't settle well.

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 12th, 2002, 06:00:45 PM
I'm good with the Star Wing. In my experience with the XG-1 in the TIE-Fighter PC game, it's slow and has an absolutely horrid power distribution system (shield and laser recharge rate). The NR has started using them, too, but I doub't you'd see many in my forces personally.

But the Scimitar sounds like advanced tech to me. Perhaps a written guideline for the FAQ ... not a "rule", but a guideline for distribution of starfighters might be in order. Make an official statement of what is "standard"

So far I think we have:

1-2 crew starfighters under 15 meters of the following classes:

A, B, X, and Y, and E-Wings;
TIE-Fighters, Bombers, Interceptors, Defenders, and TIE/Advs;
XG-1 Starwing, Airspeeders;

Any custom tech or advanced fighters, missile boats/gunships with greater firepower than those listed above, or ships over 15 meters are subject to standard build rules.

Does that sound accurate?

Varlon Konrad
Feb 12th, 2002, 11:53:50 PM
Sounds like a plan to me, Garm.

Nicoli Zand
Feb 13th, 2002, 06:27:58 AM
The Order uses a Mrk 1 Viper and TIE Defenders as standard fighters onboard most ships, so it would be nice to have them within the build times, so yeah good idea, im game.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:42:55 PM
Defenders are already in. Don't know what the specs are on the Viper's so I'm not going to say they are in or out until I see the specs. Could you point me in their direction so I can check them out please?

Charley
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:29:46 PM
Would this apply to Cizerack fightercraft?

The Keerta class fightergrappler is about as big as a Y-wing, with essentially the same capabilities, except that it can latch onto a hostile vessel's hull and perform an invasive breech to deliver the fighter's 2 man crew.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:46:41 PM
I don't have a problem with the Ciz keeping that as their "standard" since it is.

Nicoli Zand
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:06:51 AM
MRK 1 Viper: Same size of roughly a TIE Advanced, 1 man crew or 2 if modified for bombing runs/and or Torpedo runs on Cruisers.

again its about the same size as a TIE Advanced. its basicly a attack/Patrol Fighter, while the defenders..well defend the ship..lol

Orion Csalestes
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:58:59 PM
Two out of three Kai vessels most likely break that line, however our standard grade is somewhere around the E-Wing and at 12 meters. I have absolutely no problem with where the bar has been set.

I assume that that one craft would be legitimate, yet I wish to double-check.