PDA

View Full Version : Why Should we roleplay?

Daegal Murdoch
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:25:12 AM
I thought this was very, very cool.

http://roleplaygames.about.com/library/weekly/aa051599.htm?terms=roleplaying

Why Roleplay?
With thousands of TV stations, movies, videos, computer games, card games, board games, books, magazines, websites, parks, sports, and other activities to choose from, why roleplay? Roleplaying doesn't provide aerobic exercise or flood your body with antioxidants, it isn't going to build up your resume or get you into graduate school, and unless your significant other is also a roleplayer, it isn't even likely to improve your sex life. So—why bother?

Because roleplaying is fun. Have you read those psychological studies about the importance of play to human health and mental well-being? First and foremost, roleplaying is about playing—it's "Let's Pretend" at its most refined. Playing isn't just for kids anymore.

Because roleplaying is educational. Roleplayers actively seek out new knowledge to enhance their gaming experience; they learn about mythology, history, weaponry, tactics, science, philosophy, codes, currencies, and even basic astrophysics; they learn phrases in different languages and traditions in different cultures. And here's a hint for students—more than one roleplayer has learned to make a dull class interesting by thinking, "How could I apply [macroeconomics, military history, the history of the novel] to my game?"

Because roleplaying is social. Roleplaying requires players to interact with each other, whether face-to-face or through some form of computer-mediated communication. Roleplaying games (RPGs) are much more social than sitting in front of a television or computer game all day. And for some people—for example, those whose responsibilities or physical challenges keep them at home all day—roleplaying by computer can became a significant form of social interaction that would otherwise be closed to them.

Because roleplaying encourages teamwork. Roleplayers who only look out for No. 1 aren't going to be invited back to games very often. RPGs usually pose players with a problem to solve, and every player's participation is essential to achieving a successful solution. Players learn that their characters must work together to succeed—a good lesson to carry over into real life!

Because roleplaying is about more than winning and losing. Roleplaying games encompass far more than the win/lose scenario prevalent in most sports and board or card games. RPGs can include self-sacrifice (see how far that'll get you in a computer game!), romance, negotiation, and other scenarios that most other types of games simply can't handle.

Because roleplaying teaches conflict management. A good gamemaster (GM) encourages different methods of problem-solving within the game—sometimes problems are solved by combat, but other times they must be resolved by peaceful means. Players get a chance to explore different methods of conflict management within the safety of a fictional setting and can later apply those methods to the real world.

Because roleplaying encourages creativity. Many roleplayers enjoy painting miniatures, sketching characters, carving terrain and models, writing game-related poems or short stories, composing game-related songs, and even, especially in the case of live-action roleplayers, sewing costumes or cooking "in-character" meals. Even those who just play the game exhibit creativity by developing their characters and interacting with the fictional world in which the game takes place.

Because roleplaying is relatively inexpensive. RPGs don't need memory upgrades, expensive equipment, or high-priced tickets. After the rulebooks and dice have been purchased, roleplaying can be as expensive or inexpensive as the players care to make it. RPGs can be run with nothing more than paper and pencil, or they can be run with detailed terrain and handpainted metal miniatures.

Because roleplaying doesn't discriminate. Roleplayers can be of any age, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, shape, size, or level of fitness. A skilled GM can tailor a game to accommodate all sorts of special needs or considerations.

Because roleplaying improves speaking skills. Roleplaying is a verbal game (textual, if you play over e-mail or in chat), and through practice, players improve their verbal (or writing) skills as they play. It's also a form of acting, and players learn to convincingly present themselves to others while they play.

Because roleplaying is extremely portable. At the minimum, most RPGs require dice and character sheets ... and maybe a rulebook, although if the players know the rules, they can often get by without one in a pinch. RPGs can be played just about anywhere, unlike many physical sports, and they don't require batteries or a nearby electrical outlet, unlike many computer games.

Because roleplaying is wish-fulfillment. The daily grind gets everyone down sooner or later, so it's a relief to become a devil-may-care space pilot, a fearless warrior princess, a gorgeous rock star or a brilliant computer programmer for a while. Players can step out of their own lives by roleplaying characters of different genders, ethnicities, social classes, physical or mental abilities. Roleplaying allows everyone to become someone else for a while ... and most of us need that break in our lives.

So, why roleplay? Why not? Not only is roleplaying fun, but it's been used by educators and counselors for decades to improve skills and encourage learning. So, if you don't roleplay, consider finding a group and trying it out. And if you do roleplay, remember these reasons the next time somebody asks you what the hobby is all about. Roleplaying is about a lot more than books and dice and funny metal figures!

Jared Mriad
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:45:27 AM
Roleplaying is a escape from reality.

Frank Harrigan
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:46:25 AM
Roleplaying adds new spice to your sex life

Azhure Darkstone
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:51:12 AM
*appaulds loudly* :D

Qhoros Sakal
Feb 10th, 2002, 04:08:21 AM
RPG helps expand my imagination and improve my writing skills.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:29:06 AM
A very, very interesting article. Some points (Like conflict resolution and Because roleplaying is about more than winning and losing) made me laugh, but all in all, not bad. Made me think why I do it.

ReaperFett
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:34:13 AM
Rowl plying hulps moi spilling

:)

I do it because I enjoy using what is already laid down from assorted movies and books, and then putting my own stories in.

And creativity keeps the bad mind active :)

Darth Viscera
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:36:56 AM
LMAO Sieken

Ghostie Gitane
Feb 10th, 2002, 08:20:51 AM
I started roleplaying because I was extremely bored, and because Vega and Kaine forced me into it.

Now I roleplay for different reasons... I roleplay "evil" characters to release anger.. I roleplay odd species because it tends to greatly expand my imagination... And I roleplay just in general because I plan to write as a second profession.

Frank Harrigan
Feb 10th, 2002, 09:22:03 AM
Siekan?

Garrett Blade
Feb 10th, 2002, 10:01:20 AM
I roleplay because it will develop my creative mind to get the wood burning when I need to write scripts for my future profession - a director.

Also - Garrett is amazing so somebody amazing has to roleplay him. So the Garrett Blade/Peter L McCoy combination is the noshest combo since Jackie Chan & Chris Tucker.

Darth Viscera
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:32:59 AM
Do you undehstan wohds dat cohming out my mout?!

Kyle Deshere
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:37:17 AM
I role play because I don't get laid any other way.

Garrett Blade
Feb 10th, 2002, 01:24:09 PM
Don't nobody understand the words comin' outta your mouth!!!

ReaperFett
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:33:30 PM
Garrett posts here for the pink text :)

Alpha
Feb 10th, 2002, 02:51:08 PM
:lol.

I RP because it helps with my writing skills, and since I love writing, that really helps out...:) Also to forget about school for awhile, too.

Garrett Blade
Feb 10th, 2002, 05:49:05 PM
Pink - it's my new obsession

Pink - it's not even a question,

Pink - on the lips of your lover

'Cause Pink is the love you discover

Pink - as the bing on your cherry

Pink - 'cause you are so very

Pink - it's the color of passion

Ah, 'cause today it just goes with the fashion

Pink - it was love at first sight

Yeah, Pink - when I turn out the light

And Pink gets me high as a kite

And I think everything is going to be all right

No matter what we do tonight

You could be my flamingo

'Cause pink - it's the new kinda of lingo

Pink - like a deco umbrella

It's kink that you don't ever tell her

And Pink when I turn out the light

Pink gets me high as a kite

And I think everything is going to be all right

Yeah!

I want to be your lover

I, I wanna wrap you in rubber

And it's pink as the sheets that we lay on

'Cause Pink - it's my favorite crayon

Yeah!

Pink - when I turn out the light

Pink - it's like red but not quite

And I think, everything is going to be all right

Darth Viscera
Feb 10th, 2002, 05:51:26 PM
The bing on your cherry? :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:11:20 PM
CAN!!!! GET IN HERE!!!!

Can of WTF
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:15:09 PM
j00 c4773d?

Darth Viscera
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:41:15 PM
That's not the can! Impostor!

Alpha
Feb 10th, 2002, 06:51:12 PM
O_o

imported_Firebird1
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:30:57 PM
I'm with Alpha...

Nupraptor
Feb 11th, 2002, 01:41:45 AM
Roleplaying has done me a lot of good, I think. However, I also believe that I've grown tired of it.

Charley
Feb 11th, 2002, 05:12:29 PM
I RP because I need an outlet for a hyperactive imagination.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 11th, 2002, 05:24:21 PM
I RP because I love writing. I've always been writing, since I learned HOW practically, and I would love to become the first published fiction writer on swfans. :D Unless there already is one. :( Wait, that would be cool.. Anyone here ever had something published?

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2002, 05:33:52 PM
Never tried. My writing is passable because I can steep it in someone elses world. Do it fresh, and I'm screwed. Once toyed with writing a SW short and sending it to Del Rey just for opinions, but doubt Id get more than a circular. Not that Id expect any different.

Think I had a poem published when I was about eight, but that doesnt count

Taylor Millard
Feb 11th, 2002, 05:50:59 PM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
Anyone here ever had something published?

Yeah but I don't count, being in radio and all...(Shameless plug alert!) I'm published normally every MWF on 88.1FM KNTU in Dallas, TX But no, I've never been written published before.

I rp, because I like doing it. It's fun to do and it keeps my fiction writing up to speed, and it's a nice thing to do and just to have fun. :) that's all really.

Charley
Feb 11th, 2002, 05:53:16 PM
In 7th grade, I had some free-verse poetry published.

In 10th grade, I had a story published in the state education magazine. It involved an espionage story of a character named Johnny Disco, and the Russian Orthodox church sponsoring terrorism by Siberian separatists.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 11th, 2002, 06:03:01 PM
Anyone here ever had something published?

Yes, quite a few not so serious rally reports, one which was published in the UK of all places about 8 years ago. Persoanlly, I would love to have the chance to do a novel, maybe even a full blown EU one, cause I reckon I could do one hell of a lot better

ReaperFett
Feb 11th, 2002, 07:13:51 PM
I know writing wise I could never match up to any EU writers. SW wise, I doubt I could better many aside from the one or two that weren't suited to the EU

Ghostie Gitane
Feb 11th, 2002, 08:06:45 PM
I had a poem published last year..

Other than that, I've gotten 2nd place on a writing contest, but that's about it.

Khan Surak
Feb 11th, 2002, 08:35:29 PM
I doubt this counts, but I had a story published. Sort of. It was in 7th grade, and my English class had to write these stories on anything and in the end we would read them in front of several classes and then have them all put in a story book collection. Mine was about this World War Two bombardier in a B-25 Mitchell. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. The class voted to have the book color orange, and the title was:

"We didn't get Paid for This"

Pretty lame, eh?

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 11th, 2002, 08:50:51 PM
I had a poem published in some national poetry book thingy.

Nupraptor
Feb 11th, 2002, 09:19:39 PM
Unless there already is one. :( Wait, that would be cool.. Anyone here ever had something published? I've had several of my poems appear in various publications before. Also, I submitted one of my posts from TBH to a literary magazine, which appeared not long after. It contained very few referances to SW, which I simply omitted.

Garrett Blade
Feb 12th, 2002, 12:08:51 PM
(Puts on the big head)

I aim to have my first book published by the time I'm 19 or at the latest, 20. I'm currently working on the opening chapters to an Aliens book based on the movie saga of the same name. (Yes, the one with Sigourney Weaver). So far I'm ecstatic about the plot which was inspired by Wuthering Heights believe it or not. So hopefully in a year or two, you'll be reading it :)

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2002, 01:04:18 PM
Oh, John in the BO forum is getting a book published if I remember right