PDA

View Full Version : No Pepsi promotion?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 7th, 2002, 11:19:55 PM
Read this on theforce.net
Check out page 8 of this weeks issue of Brandweek, a trade magazine for the promotional marketing industry. There's an article about AOTC and how Pepsi and other fast food chains are not particpating in promotions for the movie.
It does however mention that Frito-Lay will have an on-pack promotions for their products begining next month called "Find the Hero Inside." General Mills will also be on board with in its cereal, yogurts and fruit snacks. It looks like Lucasfilm wants to keep thier promotions in-store, particularly grocery stores.

What is up with that Pepsi made money on their promotion, one of the few ones that did so what gives are they afraid they won't this time? Or do they not want to do any movies this time? Well at least Frito Lay is doing something hopefully they will have those big cardboard cutouts I got two from the TPM

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 8th, 2002, 12:09:50 AM
Doesnt really worry me. To my mind, ther plethora of mechandice tends to dilute the SW name

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 8th, 2002, 12:29:02 AM
I'm glad they're not doing that Pepsi **** again...I'm sorry, but those commercials were ****ing horrible...they're part of the reason I didn't like Ep I as much as LOTR....in fact, I wasn't a big fan of Pepsi before, but I refused to buy a Pepsi, especially during all of that bull****...

Taylor Millard
Feb 8th, 2002, 01:17:05 AM
:lol I liked some of the stuff. The cans were allright. Frankly I kinda like how it's more low-key right now. I think that'll make the movie even better. You have to admit with Episode 1, they went overboard on marketing (imo). Who knows, more people might enjoy the movie this time. :)

darth_mcbain
Feb 8th, 2002, 10:22:37 AM
While I thought the Pepsi promotion was decent last time around, I'm glad they are not doing it for Ep. II. The commercials really sucked IMHO - the characters on the cans were ok. I think that for this new one, though, it would be better to keep a low profile. I know I felt deluged by all of the promotional stuff for Ep. I that I think it detracted from my enjoyment of it. Not all that much - I still loved it, but I was just turned off by the fact that pretty much anywhere I turned there was someone hawking SW stuff.

JMK
Feb 8th, 2002, 11:30:32 AM
I would love to see less merchandise this time around. Then I would be able to save more money! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2002, 11:33:48 AM
I actually liked Pepsi promotion, especially the cardboard cutouts they did, Lays did some of those too, I was hoping to get a few more for my collection, hopefully Lays will still do the cutouts because I would love to swipe a Jango Fett:)

JMK
Feb 8th, 2002, 02:27:14 PM
All I know is that I spent a HELLUVA lot on the pepsi cans to complete the collection, albeit the 20-can Canadian collection.

darth_mcbain
Feb 8th, 2002, 02:48:28 PM
Unfortunately, I succumbed to that as well, and I don't even really like Pepsi all that much... I had the entire collection except I couldn't get that darn Jar-Jar... :(

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2002, 02:55:03 PM
I only got Diet Obi-Wan :)

BUFFJEDI
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:15:46 PM
I gots me a gold yoda:)

Champion of the Force
Feb 8th, 2002, 08:06:42 PM
I'm not too concerned either - IMHO all the promotion and advertising for TPM was WAAAAAAAY too much for anyone to take.

Jedieb
Feb 8th, 2002, 11:23:04 PM
I'm a BIG Pepsi drinker, but even I was dissapointed with the promotion. The commercials did suck, but the cans weren't all that better. They could have easily gone with color images. I expect B&W images for a B&W movie, not a SW film. Then the insult of having to track down the special cans (especially the gold Yoda, I HATE YOU BUFF!!!!!! ;) , really soured me on the promotion. At the time, Pepsi owned the fast food chains that ran the EP1 promotions, and those weren't all that succesful either. Too many damn toys and cups to track down. Less is more and that's what we'll see this time.

I really wish we could have seen a nice SW glass/BK promotion this time though. BK does those things right. My OT SW BK glasses are some of my favorite collectibles and I'd love it if I could score some prequel glasses. The BK FOTR glasses were pretty sweet (although the commercials were sad), could you imagine what they would have done with SW this year?

JMK
Feb 9th, 2002, 12:41:23 AM
Yeah, what ever happened to really COOL collectibles? I have 1 ESB BK glass, and I love it.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2002, 02:01:50 AM
I thought the TPM's banks were cool, now the cardboard cutouts I got from the Frito-Lay, Pepsi Displays were cool. I've got Mace Windu and Obi-Wan I could have had Darth Maul if somebody hadn't grabbed it before me :\ I am still hopefull Frito Lay will do some cutouts again I am hoping to grab Jango Fett and maybe some more :)

JMK
Feb 9th, 2002, 04:13:51 PM
Apparently Frito Lay is on board, as well as Kelloggs and General Mills. That's weird isn't it? 2 cereal companies promoting the same thing? I guess everyone wants a piece of the SW advertising $$$.