PDA

View Full Version : Sacriledge! Star Trek X

imported_Eve
Feb 7th, 2002, 11:08:22 PM
Okay you peeps may as well get used to the fact that I am a major Trekkie/Trekker as well as being a Star Wars fan, but I don't buy stuff - I just watch.

Anyway, I was reading up on Star Trek X, and it seems to me like it could be the most interesting storyline yet. I have heard so much negative press over it's story line, especially about it ripping the trendy clone idea from AOTC, but no... it seems original in content to me and actually good! They're doing it different.

I'm going to be looking forward to watching it. However, they're supposed to kill-off my favorite character. DAMN IT!

I won't go into it too much, unless y'all don't care about spoilers, or rather Star Trek spoilers...

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 7th, 2002, 11:43:55 PM
http://www.wilwheaton.net/

Weasley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) is the coolest Mofo ever. Go have a look, I'm no Trekkie (fact is, I hate it), but Wheaton Is Just Plain Cool

Figrin D'an
Feb 8th, 2002, 01:21:03 AM
I read about the plot of the new Star Trek film about 3-4 months ago... parts of it seem good, and should work well... other parts seem kind of forced. I really don't mind the death of the character in question, as long as it is dignified and fits the storyline. (Yes, that character is one of my favorites, too.)

The real question I think is not about this upcoming film (called Star Trek: Nemesis), but if Star Trek is done on the silver screen. Everything I have read indicates that this will be the last film with the Next Generation crew. A film based upon DS9 or Voyager wouldn't work. The next film possibility would be for the crew of the new show, Enterprise. It will be quite some years before that could potentially happen. There might be a 7-8 year gap until the next Star Trek film, and is only if the show does well.

Taylor Millard
Feb 8th, 2002, 01:38:01 AM
It does look interesting. I'm sad it's the last TNG movie (was a big fan of that show). A DS9 movie might work but only under the right circumstances. With that show, I'd just do a TV movie I think that would work best (imho). Voyager...lets just not talk about (nanites!) ;)

If we have to wait for a new Trek movie, it actually might do it some good. SW would have finished its run in the box office and more people might be privvy to see it. Who knows, but it's a possibility.

Oh and one reason why I'm seeing Star Trek X. Dina Meyer...Oh yeah! ;)

Sumor Rayial
Feb 8th, 2002, 02:17:49 AM
Not sure if I'm sad for it to be the last TNG movie or not. I suppose it would have to do a lot with what storylines they tie up.

As for movies later on.

I don't know. There are a few options that I see. Now my memories foggy on the last part of DS9 so some of this stuff may not work.

For DS9:

1) All out federation war with the Dominion/Changelings. Now as I said I don't really remember much about what happened at the end of DS9, but pretty sure that nothing was ever really done with the changelings. Could also include some TNG and Voy characters by having them commanding other ships or whatnot.

For Voy:

1) Well yeah they pretty much toasted the Borg queen, but they did that in "First Contact" too. I can see them doing something with the Borg again.

Both:

1) There are a lot of alternate universe/timeline stuff in one or the other, could do something with those stories.

Overall though I don't think that they can really do a movie for the new show. It's a per-show to the original, just like the SW eps 1-3. I mean can you say "been there done that" The shows pretty cool though I haven't seen many eps due to the time it comes on here, but I just can't see a movie version of it.

One other thing though, they obviously have to deal with the return of Voyager to the Alpha quad, but what will they do with their info/tech/other developments that would effect the "present". ie that cool ship armour stuff that the future Janeway brought back with her in the final ep of Voy.

Darth23
Feb 8th, 2002, 09:25:45 AM
I think they could do a DS9 mini-series, or tv movie. Unless the screenplay was really special.

If the Voyager crew made it home (I heard they did) then it woudl be hard to contrive a way to bring them together again. I haven't seen a Trek movie in the theater since Generations. I think I missed the last one completely.

-============

As far as DS9 goes, the Federation won toe war, forced the Dominion to accept a peace treaty and Odo saved the changelings from all dying out.

Also the Pah Wraiths were destryoed and Sisko joined the Prophets (with many more tasks to perform).

Jinn Fizz
Feb 8th, 2002, 04:08:00 PM
I love TNG, so seeing another movie with that cast, even if it's their last one, will be a treat. I've heard bits and pieces about the plotline...some stuff sounds great, other stuff not so great. I'm not thrilled with the supposed death of the one character (who is my fave TNG character), but my understanding is that the actor wants it, or at least agrees with it, so I can deal with it. Especially if it is a dignified, meaningful death, like Spock's sacrifice in Wrath of Khan. If it's something dopey like Yar's death in the ep Skin of Evil, then I won't be so happy. :x

While TNG is my fave, I've always thought that quality-wise, DS9 is the winner. The storylines became so intricate and rich toward the end, the story arcs were fabulous. It was one of those rare Trek series that, for me at least, only became better with each passing season. I'd love to see a movie based on DS9, but the reality of poor ratings and less publicity makes that all but impossible.

Voyager sucked. Hard. Made me start hating Trek toward the end. They took the great and powerful Borg and completely emasculated them, making them pretty pathetic and non-interesting toward the end. They even wrecked the Borg Queen, who I thought just about stole the show in First Contact. To me, that's a nearly unforgiveable crime. And yes, Darth23, the crew made it back to the Alpha Quadrant and headed back to Earth in the final frames of the last episode, which I actually fell asleep during |I . So thank goodness for that, no Voyager movies seem possible either.

As for Enterprise, I watched one hour of the pilot, then turned it off, and haven't watched it since. I understand a lot of people like it, but I think overall it was time for Trek to be mothballed for a while to rejuvenate. Time to let the cash cow have some rest.

But at least TNN is showing TNG reruns now, with some downright hilarious ad campaigns. It's been fun watching some eps I haven't seen for quite a while. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2002, 04:14:12 PM
does seem they brought in the clone idea just to cash in though :)

THe original series was funny, and some of the older cast films were good, but that's it for me

Champion of the Force
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:54:02 PM
Although I've found them enjoyable, I've never really grown as fond of the TNG crew as I did the TOS crew. Personally I think that this film should indeed be the last until they can get some fesh ideas in place (Enterprise perhaps?).

Darth Lynch
Feb 10th, 2002, 11:50:59 AM
It is shaping up to be a good movie, creating much buzz among the Star Trek community. Who lives and who dies shall be intresting enough, could swear that once one of the actors wished his character be killed off due to growing older but now from what hear it could be another unless there are so many rumors floating around the truth is being buried somewhat.

A Voyager movie? Oh dear god no.....the series was the low point of the Star Trek fanchise and served to give most fans a good swift kick to the under regions. It is one of the few series I've ever seen disappear from TV and from message boards so fast as soon as it ended. In the end Voyager became nothing more than a gimmick show with techno babble and a cast that had no real direction to follow. Voyager single handed screwed over BOTH the Borg and the Q. Anyone remember the Q? All powerful knowing beings? Their status fell as fast as the Borg once they began appearing on the show. The one interesting enemy created on Voyager that was in a war with the Borg who attacked their space were later made human in a Star Fleet like base recreation to understand humanity. Many of whom came to realize humans were not bad and would tell their superiors this.

Lets hope those in charge skew them from head to toe and come kick some Federation butt, Species # whatever was one of the few good bad guys, some potential left there.

A DS9 movie could work. Would not? You got a planet below it who was enslaved and fought for their freedom but political moves in both the government and religious factions have lead to fights. You got an oribiting space station that serves to protect the area and the wormhole which links to another galaxy where there is much potential for surprises. Plus you got a GOOD cast of characters able to act and have charisma instead of the wooden acting of Voyager. DS9 was sadly never as popular as TNG but is good and a movie created well could succeed, it doesnt even need to be based around the federation much at all save for the uniforms and a bit of protocal.

Enterprise movie? With them creating the show and redoing a bit of history sure why not? Its possible with the mindset the shows execs seem to have, sadly its the same folks who did Voyager. They must however reveal one thing above all else....why the Klingons look as they do, then switch for Kirks time and then back for TNG. Ah fandom and its unsolved mysteries....

Mu Satach
Feb 11th, 2002, 01:50:25 PM
TOS: Rocks Hard!
TNG: Fricken Kewl!
DS9: slow start, Unbelievable Kewlnes... then one of the most pathetic endings ever... sorry but the final episode pissed me off...
Voy: I LIKED IT DAMIT! :p put that in your pipe and smoke it. :p
ENT: It's kinda cool... had some good episodes... but I've found myself channel surfing during a few episodes... not a good sign... but I like the Vulcan chick... T'Pol.

ST:X - not going to think about it until I see a trailer... oh yeah, and irregardless I'll be there opening day... it's tradition...

imported_Eve
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:58:31 PM
TOS: Haven't seen it all, but like everything I have seen.

TNG: Best series IMO! My all time favorite. I don't know if any show, EVER, will surpass that for me. The whole cast is great but Patrick Stewart alone is such a phenomenal actor. And of course you have my favorite character, who is gonna die now. I understand that the actor wills it so, and his reasons, but somehow they have to let him dump/upload his memory somewhere and carry on in another body. D'oh gave it away didn't I. ::snap:: damn.

DS9: I liked it in the beginning. Then it was all about the war. War, war, then some war, and then a little war, and how bout some war. And Mu, I agree about the last episode. It pissed me off too. I remember getting up and saying exactly that at the time. They started that trend (which Voyager over played too) where they went back into present times on the holodeck and what not all too often. If I wanted to see Vegas then I wouldn't watch Star Trek.

Voyager: Ugh. Let's not go there.

Enterprise: I LOVE IT! I watch it religiously, and haven't done that since TNG. It is lacking what TNG had, but it is good nonetheless. Great looking cast that can act. I think right now its establishing ground, then it will get more into characters and situations. Every episode is more intriguing.

No more movies except for Enterprise I think. One good thing I think that will happen for the actors on Enterprise: I think they will find work elsewhere in the future and not just be on the Star Trek convention curcuit for the rest of their lives. The show is just that way.

Wil Wheaton's site: Yeah it's cool. He's cool. I wish him luck. It's pretty cool when an actor does his own site.

Sumor Rayial
Feb 12th, 2002, 11:25:13 PM
Well since we're doing this

TOS: Never watched all, but there are eps here and there that I've enjoyed.

TNG: When it was first on and once I got into it (I was young and fickel when it started) then I watched it regularly. Still watch the repeats ever so often.

DS9: It was kinda hit and miss for me. I found myself channel surfing during some eps

Voy: I'm with Mu, I liked it, and not just cause of Jeri Ryan :p

Ent: Have to much to do to be able to watch it during the week. Might try and get into it during the summer repeats.

As for movies. There is always the possibility that they might just forget the other series and make movies with original casts. Where TNG ended fairly open ended, the other shows haven't, and Ent. is restrained by the series that we already know of. A new ship and cast would give them the ability to create new enemies, species, etc.

Figrin D'an
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:12:34 AM
Sure, why not, I'll add more fuel to the fire... :)

TOS: I have seen all of the episodes at least once. Quite a good show, especially when you consider the time period in which it originally aired. Very revolutionary in many ways. Sure, at times it seems pretty cheesy when we see reruns on the Sci-Fi channel, but it really did have a lot to offer audiences.

TNG: Best Star Trek series. Period. Had the most well-developed plot lines, the best character development and the most intricate underlying themes. What was so remarkable about this show was that it wasn't just a great sci-fi show... it was a great show. Many people, who never would consider watching the original Star Trek episodes, or even the films, would find themselves watching TNG for that very reason... it was just a damn good show. Sure, there will always be the die-hard Trekkies that live and die by the original crew, but the sheer size of the fan base today is the result of TNG's success.

DS9: From my POV, the show started kind of slow... it really wasn't that interesting early on. The episodes were too sporadic and detached from one another for them to really want me to watch. With TOS and TNG, have more detached episodes worked because they took place on starships that went from place to place. With DS9 being on a station, that style didn't work. Once the Dominion and the Founders were introduced, things got more interesting. The Dominion War was the right direction for the show. Up until that point, Star Trek had never had a full-blown military conflict, so it was a great change of pace. I do agree that the last episode was a bit weak, but everything leading up to that, for the previous three seasons or so, was really entertaining. Overall, a good show... not as good as TNG, but the last several seasons were great.

Voyager: I watched most of the first season, then I lost interest. I caught some episodes randomly during it's initial run, then I watched the last 5-6 episodes or so when I found out the show was ending. Lately, I've been catching reruns late at night, to see some of what I missed. Overall, my impression of the show hasn't changed much since I first saw it. I have a number of problems with the show, but the biggest ones have to be Janeway's character and the whole extended plot involving the Borg. Both of these are the fault of the writers. Most of the actors were good, some of the stories were even good, but some things just grated on me no matter what. The writers (primarily Brannon Braga) ruined the Borg on this show... they took the best Star Trek villians ever and ruined them. The most interesting aspect of the entire show was the development of the holographic doctor's character. The last episode was horrible... I managed to watch all of it, but I came close to changing the channel several times.

Enterprise: The first episode was a bit iffy in spots (although the whole "temporal Cold War" thing is kind of cool. But, it's gotten quite a bit better... better plots, pretty good character development... the show has potential. I like it thus far.

I actually wouldn't mind if there was a break from Star Trek films after Nemesis is done. I think the franchise could use it to refresh itself, then build up the excitement once a really good prospect comes along, say with Enterprise in 6-7 years or so...

Champion of the Force
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:08:02 AM
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in as well. :)

TOS: Looks cheesy now, but I still find many of the episodes enjoyable after all these years. I saw mostly the animated series when I was younger so I got into Star Trek primarily through that than this particular series, but it's still all good. To this day the TOS crew has been by far the best - I also enjoyed the films based around the TOS crew more than the recent TNG movies (Star Trek II still remains my favourite Star Trek movie).

TNG: In terms of overall series, yeah this one is probably better than TOS, if only because they've made it more up-to-date and refined it more. The crew was pretty good (Patrick Stewart is king) however I think they should have dumped a crew member or 2 - I never really got into the Troy character and the less said about Wesley Crusher the better. Overall I liked it, but I preferred TOS crew.

DS9: Never really watched this much. I did see a bit from earlier in the series, and then again some more during it's last season or 2. I will say that I found the later episodes better, probably because as Figrin said they focused on the war aspect in the later stages of the show and it was a nice change from TOS/TNG.

Voyager: Premise started off interesting, however it quickly descended into a sort of TNG ripoff with a different ship for me. And despite been thrown to the other side of the galaxy it would appear as though the writers had to stick to the local Borg threats and the like that were seen in TNG.

Enterprise: Haven't seen it. The series is supposed to start here in February but I've seen nothing more than 'Coming Soon' commercials thus far. From what I've read the premise sounds interesting.

Jedieb
Feb 13th, 2002, 08:13:48 PM
So we're summarizing Trek series? Okay...

TOS: Poor production values andmore overacting that you can shake a stick at gave us... PURE GOLD! I grew up watching this show and I can tell you that at the time, NOTHING looked that good on TV. Classic Trek is just fun. Shatner's over acting and Kirk's ability to get laid on virtually any planet made that show great. The characters/actors had great chemistry together and every other episode had a nice little morality play thrown in. Pretty good TV for the late 60's. Plus, Kirk scored with the green chick, you can't beat that.

TNG: If you go back and look at the first season you see that many of the episodes looked like updated versions of TOS. But then something happened, the show got good. REALLY good. Great writing and great acting made it not just a good sci-fi show, but one of the best shows on TV during its run. Plus, it gave us the Borg, a great modern Trek villian. Yeah, they started to screw it up with that Hugh Borg episode, but we at least had a great start.

DS9: A Man Called Hawk joins Star Trek! I liked Avery Brooks from his Spencer for Hire days and I thought he did great work on the show. But to tell the truth I could never really get into. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about how the show developed, but I just couldn't into it. It just wasn't good enough for me to find where the hell my local UPN station was to catch it every week. I just let it slip by.

Voyager: If I wanted to see a Star Trek ship commanded by someone who sounded like a muppet I'd watch old episodes of Muppets In Space! The muppets had more range and they were INTENTIONALLY funny. :lol

Enterprise: I've only seen 10 minutes of one episode. I like the premise and Scott Bakula so I think this show has promise.

Best Star Trek movie:
The Wrath of Kahn

Two of the greatest forces of overacting ever (Ricardo Montalban & Shatner) joined forces to give us a great movie. Throw in Spock's death and this movie clubs all other Trek movies easily IMO.

Mu Satach
Feb 13th, 2002, 09:15:06 PM
Alright... going to unleash my Trek geekness on you all...

Originally posted by Jedieb
Plus, Kirk scored with the green chick, you can't beat that.

Are you talking about Christopher Pike and the Orion Slave girl who's bod was avacado green in the original pilot? or Kirk and the dominatrix in the tin foil bikini and green troll hairdo in the Gamesters of Triskelion?

TNG: If you go back and look at the first season you see that many of the episodes looked like updated versions of TOS.

There was a writers strike going on and Roddenberry pulled out and dusted off some old scripts that had been developed when they made Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Initially it was going to be a new series but Paramount changed gears after seeing the success of Star Wars.

Best Star Trek movie:
The Wrath of Kahn

Two of the greatest forces of overacting ever (Ricardo Montalban & Shatner) joined forces to give us a great movie. Throw in Spock's death and this movie clubs all other Trek movies easily IMO.

Preach it brutha!

Fav Kirk movie moments:
Star Trek II
"KHAAAAAAAN!"
Star Trek III
"I... have had... ENough... of... YOU!"
Star Trek IV
When he spots Spock swiming with George and Gracie.
Star Trek V
"I need my pain!"
Star Trek VI
"I can't believe I kissed you."
Star Trek VII
The toast.
:rollin

imported_Eve
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:04:36 PM
Ya gotta love Kirk. I mean, ya just HAVE to! My favorite TOS film was Star Trek IV. Spock: The HELL this, and the HELL that. Funny stuff. Just watched that the other day on TNN.

Looks like the consensus is that TNG is supreme, and rightly so. My favorite TNG movie is First Contact. Love it when Troi gets toasted. It reestablished the Borg threat.... for a while. The Borg... such a good idea. Too bad they went and pissed on it.

Enterprise rocked tonight. Very good character development for Reed (my favorite character on the show). I enjoyed it. I think next week its a re-run again, DANG IT. The episodes are getting better. They're kinda done establishing ground methinks.

Mu Satach
Feb 13th, 2002, 11:29:18 PM
Oooo... just reminded me...

"A Double DumbAss on YOU!"

Jedieb
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:58:50 AM
Are you talking about Christopher Pike and the Orion Slave girl who's bod was avacado green in the original pilot? or Kirk and the dominatrix in the tin foil bikini and green troll hairdo in the Gamesters of Triskelion?

That you have that degree of ST knowledge firghtens me to my very core.... I meant the second one, I think. I'm still trembling and I can't think straight. :uhoh

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:31:46 AM
Shatner......spoke in.........a funny way!

:)

darth_mcbain
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:46:19 AM
Do.... ya...... think????? :lol

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:01:00 AM
yes, most.............definately :)

JonathanLB
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:42:09 PM
Put Jeri Ryan in that tight Seven of Nine outfit or make up a new one with a little more skin showing and I'd certainly watch a Voyager movie ;)

lol, that show did pretty much suck hardcore though.

Star Trek is kind of fading here fast, but there will always be new Star Trek films even if there is a huge gap. The series could even "die" for like a decade, but it would come back and it'd probably be stronger than ever at that time.

It's just like Bond in that way. Sure, there could be a few duds in a row and that would kind of discourage audiences and MGM, but then you would wait maybe 8 to 10 years and sure enough, someone would put together just the right combination for another Bond movie and all people would remember is, "Wow, James Bond is coming back! Those movies always rocked!" and the masses would show up, you'd have a massive hit, and Bond would be back.

Still, Bond is doing too well right now to think of a few bombs. MGM needs that series badly, although the studio has rebounded a lot since the days when Bond was the ONLY thing it had sustaining it, haha. Bond is a major part of pop culture; I always love seeing new Bond films. :)

I'm actually going to begin seeing and reviewing all of the James Bond films when I get back home for inclusion on my movie review site.

Mu Satach
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:19:14 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
That you have that degree of ST knowledge firghtens me to my very core.... I meant the second one, I think. I'm still trembling and I can't think straight. :uhoh
:lol
Think I'm bad, you should meet my Mother... and the seriously scary thought is I know people who are worse.

ok... I found some visual aids.
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~musatach/st/vina.jpg
this is Vina, she was in "The Cage" the unaired pilot episode that later had clips used in an episode called "The Menagerie"
The pilot starred Jeffery Hunter as Capt. Pike of the Enterprise.
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~musatach/st/pike.jpg

In the second season Krik, Uhura and Checkov were being forced to be Gladiator types on Triskelion. They each were assigned an individual trainer. Uhura's was IMO NIIIIiiiiice... ;) Checkov's was a large woman with Cotton Candy Pink hair that couldn't speak well and pronounced his name "ChEEkoof" And Kirk's trainer was
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~musatach/st/tinfoil.jpg
a green haired barbie in tinfoil.

There was a 3rd green chick that I forgot about. Marta in the episode "Whom God's Destroy" which was in the 3rd season.
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~musatach/st/marta.jpg
Marta was a criminally insane inmate of a psychiatric penal coloney that Kirk and Spock got trapped on with the inmates running the asylumn. As an additional note the actress that played Marta, Yvonne Craig, also played on the Batman series as Batgirl.

So... those are the only green chicks I know of in TOS... and I don't feel like frightening you anymore. ;)

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:38:20 PM
And Kirk's trainer was a green haired barbie in tinfoil.
predictable :)