PDA

View Full Version : Ewan still hates the EP2 name

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 01:44:25 PM
In an interview, he said that the film is looking great. THe name is bad, but still, George keeps things like that to himself(his words)

darth_mcbain
Feb 6th, 2002, 01:50:46 PM
I saw that this morning... As long as he likes the movie and thinks it is looking really good - that's pretty much all I care about. I happen to like the title - liked it since it came out (ok, the first time I saw it I thought it was a little corny, but I came around). Good title or no, as long as the movie kicks @ss (which it will) I'll be happy...

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 01:55:52 PM
I still think the name is awful :)

Taylor Millard
Feb 6th, 2002, 01:58:36 PM
Well it's not the best name out there. But it could be worse.

*thinks

The Battle of the People Who're Reproduced Over and Over Again!

There's a good one for ya ;)

Darth23
Feb 6th, 2002, 03:00:10 PM
He also said he didn't like it because is sounded like Flash Gordon.

Which as we all know was a major inspiration for Star Wars in the first place - not that Ewan necessarily knows that.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 03:03:15 PM
So was Seven Samurai, but I don't expect everyone to speak in Japanese :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:30:45 PM
Didn't he then say that I guess it makes since it it is based on serialized sci shows. Really the title is no worse than the Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi both of which are corny.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:37:21 PM
To me, it misses the mystery the other four had. In a way similar to many novels, there were possible alternative meanings. Not with this piece of Sith name

darth_mcbain
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:42:19 PM
I don't know about that. Take "The Empire Strikes Back" - for instance. Where's the mystery in that title? Sounds pretty much like what happens in the movie - the Empire, having suffered a setback in the previous movie, strikes back to get revenge on the Rebellion. The first three titles have become part of our vernacular and we are so used to hearing them we don't even think twice on them, but if you take a step back, they are just as corny as the new titles.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:43:23 PM
The Empire Strikes Back doesn't really have a hidden meaning, still a few people I have talked to who have read more spoilers say there is a hidden meaning too it but you will have to see the movie to find out.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:50:02 PM
could mean the Empire Striking back with a full offensive. Maybe a strike back at Han. Maybe Luke.

No matter how you say it, attack has no mystery :)

JMK
Feb 6th, 2002, 06:16:47 PM
Sure it does, who are the clones attacking, why are they attacking, and why are they attacking? There's plenty of mystery there if you think the others have mystery to them. Return of the Jedi IMO is the one that lacks mystery. How many Jedi are there in the SW universe at the time? None really. Who's supposed to become a jedi? Luke? Not much to discuss there, unless you want to go further and say that Anakin is returning to the light side, but on the surface, in general anyone will say its Luke.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 10:08:38 PM
All of the can be interpreted in several ways but it is context of the movie. When everybody heard the Empire Strike Back I am sure they thought it meant that they were going to strike back :P I doubt they could have read anything else into it without seeing the movie the same with Attack of the Clones, like JMK said who are they attacking the good guys, the bad guys or what we have no idea and it could have different interpentations after you see the movie.

ReaperFett
Feb 7th, 2002, 04:56:02 AM
Return of the Jedi being Luke, or the Jedi as the bringers as justice and good? :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 7th, 2002, 05:46:00 AM
Attack of the Clones sounds like a Star Wars title to me.

And face it, the rest of the titles are pretty ordinary, without the Star Wars moniker

ReaperFett
Feb 7th, 2002, 05:59:33 AM
no, I wont face it! :)

I liked TPM from day one, same as I've always liked the other three

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 7th, 2002, 01:05:26 PM
Actually I liked AOTC pretty much from the beginning, I wasn't sure about it at first but I started liking it pretty quick because it sounds so much like The Empire Strikes Back to me which is to me a good omen.

JMK
Feb 7th, 2002, 05:54:46 PM
A VERY good omen!

Terser Gage
Feb 7th, 2002, 08:55:27 PM
The title "The Phantom Menace" left a lot open. Especially because we weren't actually clear on what happened pre-Empire. What is the Menace? Why is it a Phantom? That sort of thing.

I actually agree with Fett. :eek AOTC is pretty corny, and I would suggest 'The Clone Wars' to be a title better suited to the movie. I don't recall any real book,video game, or anything SW that covered the Clone Wars to an extent that it would be like a story in 'The Star Wars Essential Chronology'. In fact, the Chronology just says:

The Clone Wars were a dark time for the galaxy. The thousand-thousand worlds of the Old Republic were swept up in a furious conflagaration yja rendered entire planets uninhabitable. Many historical archives were destroyed, while other archives covering this period were wiped clean in the years following the Emperor's ascension. Not even the library planet of Obroa-Skai can provide accurate details on the Clone Wars, the extermination of the Jedi, or the crowning of the Emperor, though it is hoped that new information on this era will soon come to light.

Yeah, that's not vague. |I

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 7th, 2002, 11:01:54 PM
I disagree I just think The Clone Wars is a bad title because first the Clones continue in EP 3 and you can't call that The Clone Wars Part 2, also it doesn't sound right I guess because you have the word war used twice that just makes it sound awkward, I actually like the cornines of the title actually most titles are a little corny (Gone with the Wind, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). All of them are at least a little corny so at least its in good company.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 04:53:29 AM
It could be worse
Star Wars: Episode Two: I couldn't think of a Name.
Eh? Eh? ;)

Jinn Fizz
Feb 24th, 2002, 11:39:37 AM
:lol to Sith Ahnk!

I wasn't happy with the AOTC title when I first heard it, but I've learned to live with it, and yes, it could be much much much worse.

Star Wars: Episode II - You Guys Will See It No Matter What I Call It, So What Does It Matter? :D

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:48:13 PM
Episode II-Forget Dolly, we decided to clone JAR JAR!!!!

Yes, Sith, it could always be worse :D

Hart
Feb 24th, 2002, 03:22:44 PM
Well, the only one of the titles I liked was the Phantom Menace. So it's not really that big a deal for me.

Starquest aka AndyR
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:31:58 AM
Actually if you think aobut it, return of the jedi could almost be mis-leading because at the end of Empire in Yoda's last scene, he said, "No, there is another." - At that point might be alluding to another Jedi returning to the scene. Of course we know the truth of the title because it was originally named "Revenge of the Jedi", so that ends that....

I think Attack of the Clones is a great name. Very fitting to the Star Wars saga. And I agree with Jedi Master Carr who said that the clone wars will span two movies, so calling it "The Clone Wars" wouldn't work, and besides "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" sounds stupid doesn't it?

Anyone want to guess at episode III's title? I call "Fall of the Republic"!! ;)

Doc Milo
Feb 25th, 2002, 02:01:56 PM
Actually, Return of the Jedi was never named Revenge of the Jedi. That name was put out there for merchandising purposes. Anything with that title is not legitimate. It was so Lucas and company could spot pirated merchandise

Return of the Jedi, however, can still have a double meaning: Luke becoming a Jedi, thus the Jedi returning to the galaxy; Anakin turning away from the dark side, thus Anakin's "return" to the light.

JMK
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:14:53 PM
I always thought that since the saga is essentially about Anakin, that ROTJ was referring to him, and not Luke, but I think either side has a great base for debate.