PDA

View Full Version : Scooby Doo

imported_Eve
Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:27:31 PM
Trailer is available. Jeepers, Scooby looks creepy!

http://scoobydoo.warnerbros.com/

I thought Mike Meyers was playing Shaggy? Er - maybe I heard he was the voice of Scooby. There are rumors that Scrappy Doo is in the movie too.

Maybe one day they will make a Smurf movie (or Snorks). Now, what would CG Smurfs look like?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:57:33 PM
Which on is this the one with Scobby in the house or is a new one? Myers was suppose to do but WB declined on the script that he had done. To me it looks bad I mean Flintstones bad, I personally rather not have cartoon characters made into movies, just about every one has been a failure (Flintstones, Rocky and Bulwinkle) As far as scrappy if he shows up at all that would make every scobby fan there is angry.

Smeagol the Jedi
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:01:17 AM
Scooby Doo is one I will definantly wont see. I never really liked the original and I really dotn see the point on what appears to be a badly done live action.

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:29:35 AM
The only reason I will see this movie probably is because of Sarah Michelle Gellar. She's too hot to miss. Hottest celeb in my book :)

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:15:26 AM
I liked Scrappy!

But this does look bad. Especially being as they decided to cram drug jokes into a kids film

Jinn Fizz
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:29:27 AM
Supposedly they're retooling it so that the drug jokes are dropped, and Shaggy is no longer the stoner he was in the original script. Plus, supposedly Velma had been portrayed with, um, questionable sexuality and maybe having the hots for Daphne, and that's also been dropped. Glad to hear it, in both cases, if only for the reason that little kids are going to see the movie, and there's no need to confuse them or make them ask potentially uncomfortable questions.

But overall, I agree, I definitely have very low hopes for this movie. I've already been referring to it as quite possibly the biggest bomb of the summer. When I saw the original teaser trailer before Harry Potter, the trailer where you thought it was leading up to a Batman movie but it was actually Scooby sitting by the window, I thought it was too bad that I'd seen a very effective and fun trailer for one of the worst movies of the year.

Oh, and Scrappy sucks!!! :grumble

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:34:34 AM
Yes, but Scooby did look awful :)

Glad to hear they are cutting the jokes. Although, cutting generally means taking out the best parts(See: Rollerball:))

imported_Eve
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:07:01 PM
D'oh. Where is the new trailer then?

I was wondering how the movie would be. It could go two ways: (1) an all out kids movie, or (2) a comedy for the adults who used to watch Scooby Doo as a kid, whereas it would be like the Brady Bunch movies. You know Marsha and Greg getting it on, etc? I actually enjoyed the two Brady Bunch movies, by the way.

As for the drug jokes, I have heard that Scooby Snacks were always meant to be a reference to marijuana.

Making Velma play for the pink team is just bad taste. Just because she is smart and conservative doesn't mean she should be a lesbian. But if she is a lesbian, more power to her!

So, who is the voice for Scooby? Sounds like the original one to me.

Darth23
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:08:36 PM
Scrappy Do signaled the death of the series. :p

A Pup named Scooby Do was good though.

JMK
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:32:08 PM
Now, what would CG Smurfs look like?

Like Paul Giamatti in Big Fat Liar! :lol

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:44:25 PM
, I have heard that Scooby Snacks were always meant to be a reference to marijuana
Yes, but they shouldn't make drug use obvious in a kids movie. Kids probably dont know, and thought the Fun Loving Criminals song was about Scooby Doo :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:48:51 PM
Supposedly they're retooling it so that the drug jokes are dropped, and Shaggy is no longer the stoner he was in the original script. Plus, supposedly Velma had been portrayed with, um, questionable sexuality and maybe having the hots for Daphne, and that's also been dropped.
Those ideas sound so bad I can hardly belive they would consider them. :eek

I also loved that teaser trailer - really nice. :)

Darth23
Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:48:12 PM
As for the drug jokes, I have heard that Scooby Snacks were always meant to be a reference to marijuana.

I thought the Scooby Snacks was what they ate because the had the munchies.

But then they did seem to reach an altered state of concsiousness.

They were probably all pot-heads though - cruising around in a Flower Power van and halucinating that they were seeing 'ghosts' and 'spirits'.
---------------------

After seeing the trailer I'm not too hopeful for how the movie will do. What's next, live action Speed Racer?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:20:44 AM
I had heard rumors about a Jetsons movie (man that would probably be bad) I can't imagine much else, and please no smurfs lets leave them in the 80's.

Darth23
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:11:54 AM
I thought they already did a Jetsons movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:17:49 AM
They have just been talking about it but i think it would fail about as bad as the Flintstones.

Jedieb
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:04:37 AM
I never caught even a single hint of drug jokes with the original series, as a kid or an adult. My son loves those old Scooby cartoons and we have a few of them on both VHS and DVD. It's just not there. That's not what Hanna/Barbara had in mind when they made those first original Scooby cartoons. And Scrappy did suck hard, really hard. :p

darth_mcbain
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:35:32 AM
I haven't seen the trailer yet (having some PC problems), but I have to say that I think it will be awful. Scooby Doo worked as a half-hour cartoon for children. Given that, though, there is no logic that says that will translate into a successful feature film. In the images I've seen, Scooby looks really terrible. Plus, I can't see what type of script they would be able to use that wouldn't seem really stupid. If they stick to the usual plots and plot devices from the original, then it will be so boring (I'm sorry, but you can only have so many episodes where they are running around a creepy house, old mill, or run-down amusement park with some ghoul baddie) If they stick with that, it will just seem hokie and dumb. On the other hand, if they depart too much from the usual, then it will also suffer, because then it won't seem like Scooby Doo anymore...

As for the drug references and Velma's lifestyle, that just pisses me off --- I won't lie and say "I don't see it", but I think that you could read oblique references into just about anything you want and end up taking something which is meant to be good fun for children and turning it into a le$bian pot-fest...

Ok, rant over... Long story short - I don't have high hopes for this movie...

imported_Eve
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:08:24 PM
Good rant McBain, and I hear ya.

I agree that the subject matter of the series was repetative, but hey, I kept coming back for more. On Halloween, my little brother (who is eight) was watching it, and I found myself yawning. Nonetheless, he though it was pretty neat. So, at least we know the kids like it with its original recipe eh? And we know we're all sorta turned off by the rumors of a comedy (in the sense that they propose it). So there ya go. Go with the original recipe.

The Jetsons? Nut uh! Flinstones one was bad enough, but then some dork made a second one! I think that is evidence enough to not do the Jetsons.

I think the Smurfs would work, if the entire movie was computer animated, but not CG characters interacting with live/real ones.

What about HeMan and SheRa? Eh eh?

JMK
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:20:06 PM
A She-Ra movie would be nice, and they'd probably throw He-Man for fun...:D

BUFFJEDI
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:42:02 PM
would LOVE!!!!! a she-ra movie.Really thought the first he-man (dolph lungran) movie was pretty good (for the time) just didn't like the fact that in the movie they didn,t really have He-man all that powerful :( they played him out as a step above normal

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2002, 10:22:55 AM
He-Man was a great movie! :)

Darth23
Feb 5th, 2002, 12:46:09 PM
I never saw the lesbian thing, but the gans were definitely a bunch of stoners - they were driving aroudn in a flower-power decorated van in 1969.(the first year of the show).

Shaggy was the only one who really had aproblem with it, but lets face it, they were all so whacked out that they thought their dog could talk.

:p

Mu Satach
Feb 5th, 2002, 04:57:21 PM
the idea of a Scooby movie makes me ill... just cause I know they'll screw it up...

Darth23
Feb 6th, 2002, 09:42:21 AM
Any movie with Feddie Prinz Jr. HAS to be an exciting winner. ;)

darth_mcbain
Feb 6th, 2002, 10:54:00 AM
Throw in Matthew Lillard and how can you lose???? :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 12:16:55 PM
Let me think Wing Commander a movie that should be forgotten. Prinze and Lillard have been in so many bad movies it would take 2 pages to list them all.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 12:24:03 PM
Hackers was good :)

JMK
Feb 6th, 2002, 12:47:22 PM
Yeah it was totally cool, so you can just leave that one OFF your bad list! :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:16:19 PM
Who was in that Lillard or Prinze? I have only seen one good movie that Lillard was in and that was Scream, Prinze hasn't really been in any decent movies IMO, most of his best films are probably teen comedys but most of them aren't funny (Boys and Girls, anyone) Prinze is not talented either IMO, the reason he gets parts is he is handsome and he had a very talented and funny father Frankie Prinze Sr. (he was an up and coming comedian back in the 70's who killed himself). One question is Rowan Attikinson still in the movie? He was suppose to have a major role I read somewhere but that might have been before they scrapped the Myers screenplay.Attikinson is very funny and would probably be the only funny one in the entire film.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:23:27 PM
Lillard. Never seen a Prinze movie :)

And I checked IMDB. Atkinson is still listed

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:41:00 PM
Well at the movie has one funny actor in it.

JonathanLB
Feb 9th, 2002, 05:54:14 AM
Wait, was Boys and Girls the Claire Forlani movie? Whatever movie she was in fairly recently, I think that was the one, was not that bad. Haha, I was noticing how "perfect" it all works out and how sappy that is, but for a chick flick it was "cute," I guess. I mean it had some funny as hell moments, so I'd give it 2.5 stars, which is darn good coming from me, for a chick flick I mean, haha. She's super hot, ugg, she's amazing, plus that guy who mainly just had cameo's was incredibly funny. I just saw the movie 7 weeks ago, see, I don't remember that much about it already. Haha, sorry. :) It wasn't that bad though.

I saw the poster of Scooby Doo at the theater today, a lot of people were going up to it and looking, then I got my turn, just because I wanted to see SMG. Man Sarah Michelle Gellar is so hot there, I have to see the movie "as a critic," of course, for my new Website I'll be seeing a lot of movies I would not otherwise see. I'm just kidding about that being the reason, though, I'm really seeing it cuz of Gellar. ;) Hottest celebrity around...

Champion of the Force
Feb 9th, 2002, 08:57:54 PM
Gellar is hot, no doubt about it, but I think she's badly miscast in this one. Daffney (or however you spell it) was suppsed to be Greg's height (or even a bit taller) and Gellar is just too short. :\

Indeed the only one who looks 'right' for me is the actress playing Velma (I forget her name - she was one of the main characters in 'Freaks and Geeks').

JonathanLB
Feb 10th, 2002, 01:27:32 AM
I seem to love short girls. Most of the hottest girls are short, what can I say. This myth about tall, blonde, etc, no no no. Most of the hot girls are pretty short I think. In real life, at least, most of the girls I think are hottest are at the very tallest no more than about 5'7" or so. The two shortest girls in our high school class were easily two of the hottest. In fact the five shortest were all super hot.

Mu Satach
Feb 11th, 2002, 02:03:58 PM
I finally clicked on the link... I think I'm going to be sick.

Darth23
Feb 11th, 2002, 07:02:38 PM
hee hee

It could be a pleasant surprise!!!

--------

"Hackers was good "

Yep!

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 12th, 2002, 02:33:20 AM
Why didn't they get Chris Kataan (sp?) to do Shaggy? He did a pretty damned good Shaggy on that SNL skit :D And he looked more like Shaggy than the actor they've got in it now...

imported_Eve
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:31:55 PM
It's like the male actors have a contract that they don't do a movie without the other one.

(I'm 5'1, and I AGREE!)