PDA

View Full Version : Favorite PC game

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:27:36 AM
What is yours? I can't decide on whether to buy something now or wait a few months until more come out.
:huh

Tharin Kray
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:20:28 PM
Civ III rocks. A lot of good games. Depends on the genre. RPG, Sports, Shooting, Strat, like movies.

Jyanis Scorpion
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:27:08 PM
Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault looks to be pretty good. Personally I'm saving my money for Command & Conquer: Renegade, because that just looks awesome so far.

Vega Van-Derveld
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:23:57 PM
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption or Final Fantasy 7

Nupraptor
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:32:46 PM
VtM:Redemption was a pretty awful game, IMO. It had very buggy AI, even after the patch.

My favorite computer game (anyone want to hazzard a guess? Anyone?) is Thief: the Dark Project (aka, Thief Gold).

Tharin Kray
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:48:58 PM
GTA:3 is a fun game. You just need either a PS2 or an emulator.

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:34:11 PM
Always a fan of Unreal Tournament.

Especially with the WH40k Space Marine, and Ork models.

Get a nice game of Blood Angels vs. .... Some crap lousy Ork clan going in CTF. Quite enjoyable ^_^

Gav Mortis
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:49:21 PM
Black & White is a reasonably amazing game. My fave on the PC and alas, my own hunk-a-junk wont even play it! :(

Nupraptor
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:01:58 PM
I never got what people liked so much about B&W. I was really stoked to play it, after all I had heard about it. But by the time I got to the stupid people wanting supplies for their boat, I quickly got bored.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:02:00 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of playing it for that long Nup, due to my aforementioned dilemma. But I do like God-games and as such, B&W is the God of the God games. I could play it for hours on end. It could be the critically acclaimed game of the century and still not appeal to your tastes - it all depends on what appeals to you. I still haven't played Alice yet - is that very good? I thought Thief II would have been held higher in your estimation then Gold. I don't have either but would love to - must but it next.

ReaperFett
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:10:09 PM
played GTA3 this week. Funny as heck. You know the steroids on the first level? I picked them up, being chased by the police. I turned, and saw a police officer on the other side of the ramp up, behind the small wall. I ran at him and kicked him over, before punching him, sending him FLYING off to his death. Then there was me running through 6 officers and not getting shot. Oh, and watching someone wiping tears from his eyes after being told pimps have lots of money, attacked one with a baseball bat(after we yelled at him "PIMP! PIMP! PIMP!!!!!" and catching an old man too, before an officer came up, getting caught too. Oh, and then starting a fight with an old man, catchigna few, and then being chased down by 5 or 6 geriatrics. And rolling a van, hitting a police car. And kicking a down man until the floor is covered in blood. Or going full pelt at a wall and braking, making someone dive to the floor for no reason. Or the time someone carefully reversed out of a gangsters drive, before accidently handbrake turning into three people and a car. Or someone pressing the wrong button, and reversing the best car in the level into a wall straght behind him. Or....

Love that game :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:29:55 PM
I might play first person shooters every now and then, that's all.

The games I can not understand why anyone plays is driving games. The real thing is just so much better

Darth Viscera
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:35:51 PM
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Nupraptor
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:12:25 PM
RtCW is good, but it just doesn't have that certain something that makes you want to keep playing (for me, at least). I play for about half an hour at a time and get bored. I like it, but it just doesn't hold my interest for long.

Thief II was, of course, an excellent game. But it was slightly rushed, as LGS knew that Eidos would be shutting them down (*grumble*), and as a result, it just didn't quite live up to the first game. I've played through TG literally dozens of times. I never really get bored of it.

American McGee's Alice was a fairly good game and rather underrated by most. If anything, it's worth playing simply to marvel at the technical and artistic splendor.

I do like God Games... I just thought that there were too many tedious tasks in B&W. I think I would have liked it better if it focused more on raising the creature and less on fiddling with the villagers.

Since we're reccomending games here: Sacrifice is pretty much my favorite RTS game ever. Gorgeous graphics and very unique gameplay, plus a real sense of quirky humor throughout. Excellent game.

Also, if you find that you like the Thief games, definitely give System Shock 2 a shot. The only genuinely scary game ever made, IMHO. Great story, deep roleplaying system, immersive atmosphere and what's quite possibly the best villan ever.

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:23:24 PM
I was thinking of RtCW but found somewhere that the gameplay only lasts around 10 hours. Medal of Honor looks okay, but I'm not too sure. I'm most likely just going to wait around for JKII: Jedi Outkast to come out, or Renegade. Just got a new Athlon, so I'm eager to spend my $60 of Christmas money on something good.

Nupraptor
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:57:32 PM
Heh. You can't really go wrong with JKII. The first one was a rock-solid good game, and this one is being developed by Raven. :D

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:06:42 PM
Yep, even a more involved multiplayer with AI bots in case you can't play online. I can't find a release date anywhere though.

Garrett Blade
Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:50:45 PM
I must buy Thief 2 ASAP - none of the silly undead hunting like in Thief DP/Gold. And the levels on Thief 2 are immense!!! I've only got the demo and I never get bored playing it.

As for my fave PC game - I've got a few so I'll nail it down to fave 3of each genre:

Action: Aliens vs Predator 2/Counterstrike/Max Payne
Adventure: Grim Fandango/Bladerunner/Resident Evil 2
Fighting: Darkstalkers 2/Tekken Tag Tournament/Streets Of Rage 2
Puzzle: Tetris/Dr. Mario/Snake 2
RPG: Systme Shock 2/Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption/Deus Ex
Strategy: Command & Conquer (Red Alert 2/Tiberian Sun)/StarCraft/Earth 2150
Driving: Gran Turismo/Motorcross Madness/Crash Team Racing
Multiplayer: Super Mario Bros. 3 Battle Game/Mario Kart 64/X-Men vs Streetfighter

ReaperFett
Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:52:51 PM
March

RTCW suffered from Half Life syndrome for me. The levels with undead and stuff weren't as fun

Nupraptor
Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:03:38 PM
Oh... another very good game is Anachronox. It's the Final Fantasy of PC games, but minus all the annoying stuff. Plus, loads of humor.

ReaperFett
Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:32:27 PM
Awwww, bad JK2 news. No fists

Sanis Prent
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:30:09 PM
My favorite game of all time is System Shock 2, for precisely the reasons Nup mentioned.

However, I am playing Wolf and Pool of Radiance of late.

Wolf is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite 3D shooter. Great stuff. PoD is quickly becoming one of my favorite roleplaying games. While its not as wide-open of an environment as the ones in Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2 or Fallout...its nonetheless enormous and very fun.

Champion of the Force
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:41:29 PM
I'm presently playing Homeworld. Very good game and looks great despite being almost 3 years old now (I'm playing it at 1600x1200 with 32bit resolution - nice). Thanks to its age you can probably pick it up in a bargain bin like I did. The extra benefit is that there's a SW mod available for the game so you can download that too. :)

Prior to that I was playing through some Black Isle/Bioware RPGs, namely Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale (with add-on packs included). All are pretty good if they take your fancy (unlike Sanis I haven't played Pool of Radiance - I heard a lot of bad stuff about ti so I've avoided it).

I've also been playing a bit of Civilization 3 as well as Age of Empires 2 whenever I want to do something different for once.

I've been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein as well, but like some others here I haven't been overly thrilled with it. It really strikes me as primarily a multiplayer game with a storyline thrown in for the singleplayers (which isn't very thrilling).

Khan Surak
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:54:02 PM
I'd have to say my favorite genre is strategy. Good Strat Games that I like include(in no particular order):

Shogun: Total War
Civilization II
Civilization III
StarCraft
StarCraft: Brood War
HomeWorld
MechCommander Gold
Caesar III

I didn't catch on to the C&C craze. I just don't think it's very good. AoE series is alright, I suppose. I really think Lucas should make a HomeWorld type-game with SW ships. I think that'd blow all other SW PC Strat games out of the water.

Shogun was awesome. It required a real tactical knowledge and I can't wait until Medieval: Total War comes out. I started out with Civ II. It's what got me into strat games. One of the best all-time, I think. I've also enjoyed The Rainbow Six series with Black Thorne, Rouge Spear, and all that. It's pretty fun multiplayer, especially when someone camps in a bunker and you have flash and frag grenades :D .

Anyway, my comp sucks and I can barely have half of those games I listed on there. I have 6 gigs and no 3d card. I need mo money. :\ When you play Caesar III you get this warm fuzzy feeling as you watch ships or caravans from all over the Roman Empire take goods and trade. Ahh, mercantillism... :rollin

One more game... Halo. Wow, that game kicks @$$. You play that game, and then you say,"Mother Smucker!! I want to play again!". It's especially great in multiplayer when you have all the vehicles. In the XBox version, my friends and I ended up ramping off a tank with jeeps and stuff. We did flips and rolls. It was great. :crack

Sanis Prent
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:55:09 PM
Dave, what bad things did you hear about Pool of Radiance? Aside from it being somewhat of a system hog

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:24:55 AM
I don't like Command & Conquer all that much either, but Renegade is a FPS.

I've been playing Baldurs Gate, Heroes III, and Civ II lately, so I'm gearing towards buying a shooter and getting away from stradegy games for a while.

Severen Morkonis
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:25:13 AM
Return to Castle Wolfenstein, IMHO is a rather good game in graphics and playability,however the storyline with the undead like another said are not so great....the only dead however since im only what?...half way through the game as of late are the Zombies which i found wreck the game a slight bit....however, the Castle Mission, the village, the plane mission "stealing the rocket plane"..and the Secret Weapons Facility missions all appeal to me...i love the game all but raiseing the dead part....however.

its strange and hypycirtial i know but still it is a well thought out storyline..i have to disagree that its just a story thrown in for sngle players...cause its a good one in a way.

C&C i have completed everyone of them and so has my dad, and we are highly looking foward to Renagade which should be out this spring :)

Anhyhoo' my fav' game of all time hmm, i have played so many since i was 6 years old its not funny however has to be Max Payne or the Rainbow 6 collection which got me hooked to PC games in the first place.....plain and simple.

Anyway...off the blow some Nazi butt up...scuse me.

Sanis Prent
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:38:36 AM
The zombies wreck the game? LOL...que? It fits the Wolf/Indiana Jones genre quite well.

Champion of the Force
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:47:46 AM
The zombies wreck the game? LOL...que? It fits the Wolf/Indiana Jones genre quite well.
It might fit the Indy genre, but not the Wolf genre IMHO. I agree that all the undead/zombie stuff was the least thrilling part of the game. It's killing Nazis that makes Wolf fun - it should stick to that.

Dave, what bad things did you hear about Pool of Radiance? Aside from it being somewhat of a system hog.
I heard that, plus I also heard it as full of bugs and needed some serious patches to get working. As for the gameplay itself most of the reviews I've read said it was basically Diablo II with a bit more of a strategy lean on it. Since I'm not that big a fan of the Diablo series that also led me to avoid the game (then again some hardcore RPG fans have labelled Baldur's Gate II - a fav game of mine - to also be in the Diablo vein with all the combat in it, so maybe I should give it a relook).

Nupraptor
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:00:39 AM
I heard Pool of Radiance had some serious bugs, including one that could possibly hose your PC.

Sanis Prent
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:48:32 AM
Yeah, I've noticed some operational glitches in the game, but nothing to really irk me.

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:53:03 AM
Wolfenstein spoilers

I loved the level in Wolfenstein near the end with the sneaking round, and then the mansion. But then you had the dumb "Kill the big all powerful guy" rubbish

Sanis Prent
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:39:29 AM
Dave, check it out. Its worth the look.

Instead of going around a vast countryside like in BG 1 and 2, you are in the ruins of a single city. Yet I think the gameplay times are actually gonna be pretty similar. Not to mention, its got a viable turn-based combat system, which I prefer vastly, since you can fully utilize things like the spell "Fireball" without worrying about your buddies getting charred when the AI tells them to melee rush.

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:08:01 AM
I myself haven't played Return to Wolf yet, but in all honesty, I don't think that zombies would take away from the Wolfenstein aspect of it.

Perhaps I'm the only one here who remembers that in Wolfenstein 3D, there were zombies in some of the levels with pistols in their chests? That game was about the nazi's making their own super-weapons out of zombies, and bio-engineered humans, was it not? Why would return be any different?

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:13:37 AM
Thank you Miryan, O voice of Rationality! Nobody else here seems to be old school enough to remember that!

Zasz Grimm
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:43:32 AM
Diablo 2 Lord Of Destruction

Starcraft: Brood War

Aliens Versus Predator (I like the first one, but I also havent played the 2nd one )

Half-Life

Morgan Evanar
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:55:08 AM
None of you people have played Serious Sam 2 demo?

Talk about playable eyecandy/insanity. This game is the only thing thats made my PC hurt... once I got about 100 enemies on the screen.

Ghost Recon = teh win!

If you have Unreal Tournament, download <a href=http://infiltration.sentrystudios.com/>Infiltration</a>

CS is pretty good still. I'm not certain how much longer I'm going to be playing it, tho... HL engine is dying because valve's being a bunch of turds when it comes to cheat protection.

C&C: Red Alert is a much better game than Starcraft, IMO. Only blizzard game I didn't fall in love with.

Homeworld is amazing. Sacrifice and Ground Control are two sleeper hits that no one really took proper notice to. Top notch stuff that was ignored. =/

There are demos for games people... use em...

On the horizon: Unreal 2, Jedi Knight 2.

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2002, 11:22:42 AM
Actually, I haven't found a RTS game that I've thoroughly enjoyed since Total Annihilation. THAT was a blast. The C&C sequels have been alright, I suppose...just seems kinda played out in that direction. AoE is a riot, and thus, so is Galactic Battlegrounds. But none shall compare to the coolness that is Total Annihilation :)

Ghost Recon is fun. Kinda like RB6 meeting Delta Force. AKA, its Clancy's stab at a full-distance engagement game. People have been trying to put it in a microscope, whining about whether its more or less realistic than RB6, and whether its better/worse. Its a pretty airtight rendition of what its trying to be, and I'd say just as good as RB6, even though I find the two to be in somewhat different tactical forms.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:01:21 PM
RB 6 = eh. I didn't enjoy it as much. You felt really detached from your firearm. Low on the fun factor, IMO. But Ghost Recon seems to get it right.

INF seems to smack everything else in the realism department, except for movement speed. If they were to combine Ghost Recon with INF...

TEH WIN.

And I really haven't played C&C since Red Alert/expansions. RA2 did nothing for me. Having to control 30 guys not organized into squads already = weak. Ground Control showed me how lame some things about other RTs are.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2002, 03:35:09 PM
RTS' aren't to my taste. If they are balanced, they get dull. And I dont like the unpersonal feel

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:17:06 PM
I agree with Sanis on this one. Total Annihilation was the last RTS I've really enjoyed. Hell, I still play it.

Just the fact that your resources weren't limited, you could just build up a huge army of mass destruction, and eradicate your opponents in a single swoop.

Well.. almost.

(Stupid limitations on how many units you can have >_<)

imported_Firebird1
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:44:21 PM
Gosh where do I begin...

Well I currently play MOH:AA, which is a fantastic game now that I have found out that I don't need Gamespy to play Multiplayer games. I also play C&C every once in a while.

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:58:11 PM
Morg...your RB6 comments have officially put you on the "Crack-Smoker" list. May you see the light of your evil deeds at the hands of an enema done with your own ponytail.

And yeah, TA = ubercool kill factors. Not to mention, the only viable "win by thermonuclear war" RTS out there :p

Hari Rendale
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:59:47 PM
I smoke crack because I don't enjoy games with retarded AI?

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:15:30 PM
AI wasnt great :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:18:12 PM
Retarded AI...or just sticking to ROE? You know, if something's trying to emulate real world situations, its best not to go into the hostage situation like John Rambo.

(Hears Janet Reno "WACO??? DANCE PARTY TAKES AWAY WACO!!!")

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:28:11 PM
ROE? You mean stopping because you CATCH a wall is the standard ROE? :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:35:11 PM
I never had that happen. Maybe you should have gotten the patch

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:38:48 PM
oh, and because it didn't happen to you, I must be wrong eh? :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 4th, 2002, 07:49:11 PM
Black Isle has just announced today that they're making Icewind Dale 2 and it's expected to be released by the end of May. :)

I'm saving up already. :D

Jared Mriad
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:09:19 PM
*taps his Mechwarrior 4 Black Knight case* Nice Sim.

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:10:11 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
oh, and because it didn't happen to you, I must be wrong eh? :)

I can't account for whatever you may have done/not done to your game, Fett. But in the, oh...500 or so odd hours I've spent playing RB6 or any of its sequels/add-ons, I've yet to experience anything as such.

I'd consider that to be enough beta testing on my part to declare your problem an anomalous outlier.

Alec Lafeyette
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:35:27 PM
I'm with Morgan on Rainbow Six. I'm not going to argue that it's not realistic, because it's pretty close. But like he said it's not that fun.

I read a review about Serious Sam 2 and it looked pretty good. As for demos, I wish. I'm not going anywhere with a 56k. :\
Warcraft III looks interesting with the new format, so I might check it out when it's released in June.

Hari Rendale
Feb 5th, 2002, 12:33:47 AM
Get a good FTP client, and leave it downloading while at school/work.

Sanis Prent
Feb 5th, 2002, 08:06:14 AM
how big is that demo?

Hari Rendale
Feb 5th, 2002, 10:22:06 AM
126 megs... methinks.

Sanis Prent
Feb 5th, 2002, 01:38:00 PM
if my connection weren't intermittent and assarific, I'd try it.