PDA

View Full Version : Slackers?

Darth23
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:01:34 PM
Anyone thing it can be number one?

I didn't think much of it, but the more commercials I see the, um, less unfunny it seems. It doesn't really look hilarious - but you never know.

Anyway Black Hawk Down dropped 40% last weekend, Kung Pow and Orange County are both near the bottom of the top 10, so I'm thinking maybe it has a shot. It only needs 10-12 million to be number one.

JMK
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:00:56 PM
I don't think it has #1 stuff, but we'll see. I'm hoping FOTR will rebound.

Darth23
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:13:10 PM
Good luck wit THAT fantasy. :p

Seriously though, I don't see FOTR increasing for the rest of its run - unless it wins a bunch of Oscars, starts showing the TTT trailer, or gets a bump from moving to the discount theaters.

I still think it would be a good movie to do a late summer re-release for.

JMK
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:23:19 PM
That's not a bad idea. Too bad we here don't get to call the shots around hollywood huh?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:26:49 AM
FOTR is suppose to show the trailer sometime soon, I think I heard Feburary or March, I'm guessing they will do a huge release when the oscars are nearing and they will add the trailer then, but that is a guess. Still it should still make 30-40 million from here on out, just enough to take second place from Shrek and hit or at least come close to 300.

JonathanLB
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:21:21 PM
FOTR will not come anywhere near $300 million. It won't beat ESB's $290-whatever million.

Oscars even at this point would not make much of a difference. The film has nearly played out.

I am going to be a slacker this weekend and I am NOT going to see Slackers. hehe, corny, I know, but it's the truth ;)

I might go back to see The Count of Monte Cristo again, but nothing opening interests me...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:52:07 AM
I think it will hit 290, it only needs 30 million to that, it will defentily pass Shrek because it only needs 8 million to that. To get past 300 I think it will have to take some the oscars thought TTT trailer will help it some.

Darth23
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:37:25 PM
Slackers pulled in a million big ones on Friday - looks like another long delayed release will fade quickly.

Anybody seen it?

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:28:47 AM
Man, Slackers is kind of slacking at the box office!

Hehe, that'll never get old ;)

Darth23
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:44:11 PM
I think it already IS. :p

Looks like it didn't even make the top ten. I guess I underestimated the average moviegoer.

What's weird to me is that it seems that every off the shelf movie that is relase that's been sitting around for over a year seems to do REALLY badly - even if they spen money on marketing to promote it.

I wonder what that will mean for Rollerball.

JonathanLB
Feb 5th, 2002, 07:59:09 AM
January and February are discard months for the most part. Not to say we don't get some good films, but you have movies like Virus (which MGM dumped a while back) and now Birthday Girl, also made years ago and dumped, plus Slackers that totally bombed.

I honestly wouldn't bother promoting these films at all. I'd just throw them out there to fend for themselves, ROFL! I mean it's not worth the advertising dollars when the film not only cannot make its budget back but it can't even make back what they spent on one cable television ad! Hahaha

Darth23
Feb 5th, 2002, 09:25:58 AM
I've seen a few ads or Rollerball, which was moved to this part of the year 'to take full advantage of its potential' or something.

But with 3 big releases this week, it definitely won't have a major opening.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2002, 11:51:26 AM
Collateral Damage should be #1 I think probably making 16-20 million in its first weekend, RollerBall probably second, and Big Fat Liar will be lucky to make the top 10. The Olympics will hurt the box office I think, it has in past years to some degree. Really this is a bad month the only other major movies opening before march are Hart's War (Bruce Willis WWII flick), Peter Pan II (why make a sequel to a 30 year old film?) John Q( Looks interesting but it has been done before), DragonFly (another possible Costner bomb), and Queen of the Damned (Interview of the Vampire sequel with nobody from the original film no Cruise, no Pitt, no Bandaris the only reason why this movie is going to the theates I hate to say is because this is Aaliyah last movie and WB's figure it will make money for that reason alone)
March on the other hand is crowded, re are 4 huge movies opening in the first 3 weekends: We Were Soliders (Mel Gibson movie about Vietnam), The Time Machine, Panic Room (A thriller staring Jodie Foster), Ice Age (Fox animated movie that might include a certain trailer:)) I'm not even mentioning Blade 2 which comes out March 22, the ET special Edition and Resident Evil, which I have little hope for.

JMK
Feb 5th, 2002, 11:57:03 AM
I have a feeling that Rollerball will edge out Collateral Damage. Maybe by a couple million, but I think folks are looking forward to it more. I hope I'm wrong because I love Arnold and Rollerball doesn't deserve to make a cent after the cut of Romijn! :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2002, 12:09:48 PM
I actually think people are more looking foward to the terroist getting their butts kicked. I don't think rollerball will do that well especially with the Olympics that is the one movie that could get hurt the most by it, if people want to watch sports they can watch the real ones not some made up crap.

Darth23
Feb 6th, 2002, 09:36:55 AM
I think the Vampire movie would have been released even if Aaliyah was still alive.

I think big Fat Liar will do ok -afterall it has Paul Giamatti. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 12:14:11 PM
I don't know I remember reading before she died that WB was thinking about making a straight to video release, there were reports that it is a very bad movie. I have also read that Anne Rice has said some very bad things about it too, she had volutneered to write the screenplay and they pushed her away (what morons) and she disavowed it after that. I also have problems with it because Interview with the Vampire was such a great film IMO almost as good as the novel and this one just looks like a cheap b movie that you might see on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

JonathanLB
Feb 6th, 2002, 03:59:56 PM
I think Aaliyah's movie could be tight :)

I have heard bad things, but I will see anyway.

And no, people are not looking forward to Rollerball more, you have got to be kidding me. I think the movie looks like it could be enjoyable, but everyone else I've talked to says it looks like a piece of crap and utterly idiotic. I think Collateral Damage will do some serious collateral damage this weekend. ;)

"Panic Room (A thriller staring Jodie Foster)"

Jodie Foster is not of note here. That's not why this movie is going to be good. It's promising because David Fincher directed it and anything Fincher does is generally pretty awesome and has some sort of great twist ending. Foster isn't all that; Contact really sucked, no matter what good things people want to say about it, it was a horrible film with a really idiotic and unsatisfying ending and her acting in that film was attrocious -- I've rarely seen such a pitiful performance where an actress relied solely on crying her way through the film. She is normally a good actress, but in that movie she sucked. I just can't wait until this movie because of Fincher. He's a master.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2002, 04:08:08 PM
I thought Contact was okay, but it is a very deep movie based on a very deep book by Carl Sagan, and I admit it wasn't one of Foster's better performances.

imported_Eve
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:25:40 PM
I saw Slackers last night. I thought it was funny... and yet disturbing. It's like when American Pie came out: you couldn't believe some of the things in that movie. That's how this movie was.

Devon Sawa is hot, as always, and the main character.
Jason Schwartzman (from Rushmore or Phantom Planet) is a good psycho. He is the funny guy, and another main character.
They both court James King.

Good depiction of college TAs (teacher (professor) assistants) and how they think they're god.

I laughed alot. My sister didn't. So, we had different opinions about it. It was too much for my sister. I think she was a little grossed out.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:36:17 AM
I disliked Slackers for the most part. Sure there were some chuckles shared between me and my friends, but all in all I thought it lacked for a comedy.