PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who use Trillian

ReaperFett
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:42:29 PM
You might not be soon... (http://www.clanpages.com/#2282)

Tharin Kray
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:46:43 PM
Bah! Trillian has already refused to let me into AIM. But honestly, AIM is no where near as safe as Trillian.

Champion of the Force
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:47:05 PM
Never used it anyway, so there you go. :)

Varlon Konrad
Jan 31st, 2002, 06:24:26 PM
Yet another attempt by AOL to become a monopoly on a market, only this time on instant messaging. Such a crock of **** they are.

ReaperFett
Jan 31st, 2002, 06:29:53 PM
erm Varlon, it is their product, and then someone else makes a program to use it. That isn't making a monopoly, as noone goes out of business. The market is with MSN, ICQ etc, who are not being touched.

Hari Rendale
Jan 31st, 2002, 06:56:47 PM
Trill = rox0rs. 8 megs of RAM for AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC.

AIM = 8+ megs of ram for... AIM.

Nupraptor
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:13:36 PM
Trillian has already managed to get around AIM's "roadblocks". Frankly, the AOL mucky-mucks are just being jerks about it. Yes, it's their product. But it's not like they charge for it, so it's not like they're losing money by allowing other programs to access it.

ReaperFett
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:28:53 PM
aside from people who pay them for adverts, who wont pay as much being as less are using it, yeah?

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:29:27 PM
personally trillian isn't usable from the comps I use because of the anti-downloading protection on the college's computers so trillian has no real use to me.......

Nupraptor
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:14:29 PM
Seerrasseei: So you can't download AIM either, ya?

Fett: What advertising? Before using Trillian, I was using DeadAIM (http://www.32bit.com/software/listings/Internet/Chat/23362/). It's a slightly hacked version of the AIM executable which eliminates the adverts from it.

AOL doesn't have a monopoly on the Instant Messenging market... they just hold about 90% of it. So they just have a stranglehold on it. Yet you don't see the smaller IM services like ICQ, MSN and Y! making a big deal out of this.

IMHO, AOL is simply jealous that a little program like Trillian is so vastly superior in every way.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:01:59 AM
no, I pretty much have to rely on the comps the local hacker who knows how to get past the passwords who installs AIM on a small percentage of the computers or I have to use AIM express which sucks royally.......at home, I can download whatever, but at college, no deal because of passwords needed to install things......

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:16:37 AM
If AOL dont want third party apps to access an AOL owned and hosted application, they are completely within their rights. It's not like you HAVE to use it. Others use MSN, Yahoo! or (God help you) ICQ. Or go back to e-mail.

I dont see what the issue is here, apart from AOL asserting their rights over their IM medium.

Tho I will say AIM is the only frigging app AOL will ever get near with me on any network I control. AOL are pure evil

Nupraptor
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:16:37 AM
I'm not saying that they're stepped outside the boundaries of their rights, I'm just saying that they're being ******es (insert your own explicative there) about it.

ReaperFett
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:58:23 PM
AIM sounds better than Trillian. What is that, a fish? :)

Setzer Aistal
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:19:31 PM
If Trillan can't access AOL stuff then ICQ will be following shortly, since AOL owns them and all

ReaperFett
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:44:17 PM
Might, might not. Depends if it is a head of a section deciding this, or the overruling king of AOL

Hari Rendale
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:30:52 PM
Trillian = Tricia McMillan, from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:39:11 PM
Tried trillian out, was too complicated for it's worth, in my opinion. Had for a day then got rid of it.

Milivikal k'Vik
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:26:44 PM
Its a bit of a pain if you aren't willing to take five minutes to figure everything out, but once I did, I was very happy.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:47:28 PM
Just as a note, AOL owns ICQ.

*thinks back to the days of only a few thousand ICQ users and Ultima Online*

(Edit: BAH! Someone said it before me... good ole Miribilis... had to sell out, BAH! Curse that company.)

Varlon Konrad
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:23:05 AM
What I find funny is the fact that the way my proxy works, if I want to send files or direct connect, I have to use aim or else it doesn't work. Even though I think the people of AOL are being pricks over the issue, I have to agree with the point of them not making money off it. It isn't like very many people actually CLICK the ads.

ReaperFett
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:50:27 AM
Yes, but still the advertisers PAY for the ads

Darth Lynch
Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:59:16 AM
Downloaded the newest version and already can not access Trillian again.

Blah.