PDA

View Full Version : Research Project: NRSF Railguns (NR)

Jyanis Scorpion
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:48:26 PM
NK-90 Squad Automatic Weapon

Magazine: 300 rounds
Firing Speed: 12 round/sec
Effective Lethal Range: 1500 meters
Effective Accuracy Range: 250 meters
Accessories: 5x Scope

Almost resembling a smaller NRSF Minigun, the NK-90 SAW is used sparingly, and is not a standard issue weapon. Often three or four carry one of these per platoon. They come equipped with a fold-out stand and a 5x scope for long-range firing.

===

NRSF Assault Shotgun

Magazine: 12 rounds
Firing Speed: Random
Effective Lethal Range: 500 meters
Effective Accuracy Range: 100 meters
Accessories: Laser Targeting Beam

Taking a standard shotgun and modifying it with existing Special Forces Railgun components and accelerators, the NRSF Assault Shotgun was created. It is slower than standard weapons, but packs enough punch to blow through some of the thickest armor at point blank range, and can cause anyone unlucky enough to be caught in its sights to completely explode. The Assault Shotgun is preferably used in a close quarters battle (CQB), but some can be seen in field combat. Also assisting the user is an optional red targeting beam placed on the underside, just below the barrel.

Darth Viscera
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:59:39 PM
How is it that you are able to remove the inaccuracy inherent in a shotgun and increase the range to a reliable 500 meters? You'd have to replace the BB's with something aerodynamic, IMO. Aren't spherical projectiles accurate only to around 50 meters?

micro-miniature repulsordrives and targeting systems might overcome that, though.

Jyanis Scorpion
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:58:38 PM
The "Effective Range" isn't meant to represent accuracy, but the firing power efficiency. It's more sluggish and is only as reliably powerful within 500 meters. Point blank would be more lethal, obviously. Although your question does raise a point that there should be some clarification there. I will change that from now on to Lethal Range and add an Accuracy Range. Also, I believe a different type of ammunition is being used specifically for the shotgun, that is in fact, more aerodynamic, to a point. I will speak with West about that, as he is more fluent in these matters than I. Thank you. :)

Darth Viscera
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:14:41 PM
np

Jyanis Scorpion
Jan 30th, 2002, 06:26:10 PM
I'm glad people have an eye for these things. By the way... Hypothetically speaking how much would it take for you to turn the other way? :D

Darth Viscera
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:20:26 PM
Just the knowledge that non-spherical ammunition (as opposed to regular shotgun ammo) is being used is enough to quell my range fears.