PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop question...

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:08:25 AM
How do you draw a straight line in Photoshop?

Miryan no Trunks
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:14:22 AM
you need to take a course in 1337 mouse skills. It's only 3 years long, and you get a degree and everything.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:17:44 AM
Grrrrrrrrr.......

FORCE FRYING PAN!!!

WHACK!!!!

:: Miryan goes into orbit, hitting a satellite in the process::

Okay, I have figured it out that its something in the pen tool. I can set end points, but no line is drawn. Waht step am I missing?

Gav Mortis
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:48:58 AM
*Upon re-entering the atmosphere Miryan finds himself being launched back to where he came from*

FORCE BED PAN!!!

WHACK!!!!

:)

I once downloaded Photoshop and I'll be buggered if I can work out where to begin with the damn thing, it is so complicated! >_<

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:57:53 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm finding.

Really powerful, but all the options are labelled weirdly and the help system is not the best I have ever seen, to say the least.

So far in the search to create a line (3 pixels wide, 200 pixels long), I have discovered borders, shadings, bows, brush shapes. But no damn thing to draw on straight line, without having to resort to 1337 mouse skills. Which, consdiering this laptop does not have a mouse, would be useless :-p

Gav Mortis
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:45:18 AM
I just use a dodgy, easy-to-use program like Ulead Photo Express for anything like that.

By the way what is 1337 - I think it is said "leet" isn't it, but what does it mean exactly?

Sanis Prent
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:25:17 AM
Photoshop is probably the easiest of graphics programs to use.

Depends on which version you're using for straight lines. Earlier versions had straight line tool as a subtool of the pen tool, I belive. Version 6 and above have line tool as a subtool of the shape tool. I prefer the older method personally, cause its more user-friendly, but you can do what you need with both

Nupraptor
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:33:50 AM
I don't like 6.0 and wouldn't reccomend it. :p

And for making simple shapes like lines and circles... you could always use MS Paint, you know. :)

Sanis Prent
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:01:03 AM
6.0's text features are what I love. I wish they'd return the old version of the line tool though. But I do prefer 6.0 and above to the 5.5 and such

Miryan no Trunks
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:42:07 AM
*Reconnects with the ground with a pretty little crater*

.. Ugh... Eep.. umm..

*Dusts himself off, before posting again*

1337 is leet for "elite"

Leet is a very spiffy language that annoys pretty much everyone when used properly. Including the user (due to spending about 3 times as long on each written sentance)

And hey, if all else fails, just download Paintshop Pro. It's nowhere near as good as Photoshop, but the tools are easy and you can make all Sorts of straight lines with little effort.

Lol, or you could just get a usb mouse. =/

Tissaauurree Savuurra
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:45:32 AM
Actually, what I do for straight lines on Photoshop 5.0 is open up my paint file, make a straight line, save it, open it in Photoshop and yippie! It's done. Easier then learning how to do it on photoshop.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:20:15 PM
errr....sub tools?

oh geez..... I think my brain hurts.... what is a sub tool and how do I access them?

Morgan Evanar
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:50:29 PM
We figured it out =]

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 28th, 2002, 04:47:01 PM
Yeah, rather cool actually.

Now, where do I get textures from? Trying now to do some nice text.

Champion of the Force
Jan 28th, 2002, 05:10:34 PM
Use the Text option then just type in ____________ ... etc etc. Obviously this works best if you just want a straight line going across. :)

I've got v 6.0 at home but I've yet to use it apart from resizing my new avatar (<--- points to Erlond pic).

As for textures, if you mean to apply them to text you just type your text in as per normal, then right click on the completed text and select the Effects option, and then you can start mucking around. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 29th, 2002, 03:59:21 AM
I AM DYING FOR PHOTOSHOP! Someone get it to me STAT!

Oh, and...*huggles Davey's new pic* Elrond is SOOo awesome in that part of the movie. And the bit over the Pit of Doom.... *melts* :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:24:17 AM
Photoshop is cool!!!

(Loading up to server what he made)