PDA

View Full Version : Dooku's light saber

BUFFJEDI
Jan 26th, 2002, 06:50:00 PM
I'm not sure if this has been asked/talked about before (sorry if it has) But does anyone know ,or have any idea's Why his handle is curved(dooku's). I was at the toy forum and saw it and it just struck me that there Has to be a reason . The only thing I can think of is that maybe Dook uses it like a boomerang at times.But when i think that , I tell my self he could use the force for that.Any idea's guy's??I know his saber has been talked about its the why I am curious about.

Hart
Jan 26th, 2002, 08:21:48 PM
I think it's supposed to give the impression of being like one of those Arabian swords with the curved handle.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2002, 10:08:34 PM
Whatever the reason, it looks cool! Man, I can't wait for another old man light saber duel!! After Obi-Wan V. Vader Death Star Duel I thought we'd never see another geriatric battle. Long live the AARP!!!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:24:12 AM
I agree I think it really looks cool. I could be a matter of preference, I guess we will find out in May.

JMK
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:02:53 AM
It could also be a matter of fighting style. Maybe it has some effect on the way he fights, I don't know. It's most probably a thing of preference...

darth_mcbain
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:46:49 AM
I don't know if this is so, but I thought I remember hearing that it might have been that way so it could be disguised as a cane handle or something. However, the more I look at it, I don't know how much that holds credence - it doesn't really look like a cane handle to me...

JedHead
Jan 28th, 2002, 05:39:30 PM
What about the hook being used as a wepon?

darth_mcbain
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:07:11 PM
To me it looks like the curve in the saber hilt is more aesthetic than anything else - I couldn't see the curve itself being used as a weapon, but who knows...

Mu Satach
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:49:05 PM
Apparently in the Fencing world some handles are bent.

http://www.blade-fencing.com/cgi-bin/db_viewitem.cgi?905744818+en+1998111212789206311+

so I'm thinking it would be a matter of preference too.

JMK
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:06:17 AM
I guess that would kind of give away Dooku's style a little then. Unless it was purely for aesthetics...

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 8th, 2002, 12:52:06 AM
The fencing connection would make sense to me, since I think in one of the trailers he gives a fencing salute (raising the sword to in front of his face). I haven't seen a lot of sabers, since the fencing classes I've taken have all used foils, but I know that sometimes sword handles may be curved for more ergonomic purposes (I haven't actually seen Dooku's saber handle yet, so I could be wrong). Plus from what I've read in interviews with Lee, he's supposed to be a somewhat "honorable" character, so again the fencing connection would make more sense...

JMK
Feb 8th, 2002, 11:29:44 AM
Plus fencing would seem more suitable to an old man than the tree-swinging high flying jedi fighting style.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 9th, 2002, 09:02:46 AM
What it is, is centre of bosy placement. This is where you are not really mobile, but it places your weapon on the centre line of your torso, to make your defese movement shorter and uses your arms more. Dooku himself would not be albe ti utilise movement liek Maul could, so a centre line placement would be preferable. This is also what Obi Wan used in ANH.

It is correct, it is more of a fencing style. It is also more of a true sword master's style as well, where you basically become like a rock and the attacks break over you. It is more controlled and deliberate and your more able to use an opponent's mistakes against them. You also tend to use the point of the weapon more. Feet stances are also closer together and your footwork is not as fast, nor do you step as quick.

Does that sound like an older man's style? Yes. It's alos difficult to master because of the control needed and the different muscles used, but it is one of the more effective styles. As for the shape, it's an odd one. But it would allow for non standard moves, slices and blocks and also be useful for single hand .

It's also I believe a different type of sabre, it sounds and acts differently to a normal lightsabre.

JMK
Feb 9th, 2002, 04:16:08 PM
Will we care what the fights look like once we see them, regardless of style? I think now. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 11th, 2002, 06:39:52 AM
As long as the fights are good, who cares.... I just hope Dooku's end, whenever that is, isnt a pathetic as Maul's

JMK
Feb 11th, 2002, 10:23:24 AM
I have a feeling that Dooku won't be as easy to get rid of as Maul was...

Stanze
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:56:28 PM
One of the members of the Replica Props Forum will be selling officially licensed EP II Lightsaber Replicas!

Story (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=14301)

Pic (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi?Image=episode2/newspics/MR-2.jpg)

darth_mcbain
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:02:43 PM
I agree JMK. While Maul was a true fighting machine and helluva tough, I think Dooku will be deadly in a different sort of way. I think his style will be that of a true master - not one wasted movement, no outward flamboyant style, just enough to get the job done in the most efficient manner, without all of the acrobatics Maul had. I'm thinking somewhat like Li Mu Bai in CTHD. Plus, I think (and this is just my own speculation) he will be very devious and conniving like the Emperor, adding to his deadliness.

JMK
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:52:45 PM
Hence his name "Dooku", which is a variation of some oriental word for "poison".

darth_mcbain
Feb 15th, 2002, 06:15:58 PM
Yeah - I think I remember hearing that, I think it came from japanese, but I could be wrong.

Alpha
Feb 15th, 2002, 06:21:51 PM
If it's a fencing style Dooku uses, boy is that a Hell of a change to normal fighting styles! Normal sabre fighting is in a sorta oriental style, based on the katana. Fencing is like adding nitro to the mix!

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:25:51 AM
I'm hoping it is a fencing style he uses.....it'd be nice to see a lightsaber used like a real saber ....that would kick sooo much ass! :D

I saw a replica of dooku's saber from a link at tf.n, I think, and the shape did look fairly consistent to the grip style for a fencing weapon (the replica looked like it was curved for a right handed use, but I suppose it could be flipped and used left handed, I dunno).

Of course, I could just be full of ****...who knows....

(Ok, from another picture, it looked almost like a "pistol" grip saber, which is available for fencing, so it may just be a preferential thing).....

darth_mcbain
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:44:34 AM
According to this image from the official site, it appears that his style might be more in line with what we've already seen from Jedi / Sith battles (i.e. not fencing style). But, this is just one image, who knows what we'll get.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2002/02/news20020219_1.html

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:09:27 PM
I should've known it was too good to be true that the weapon be handled like it's name implies :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:22:55 PM
Its hard to tell from that picture really what it means so I guess we will have to wait and see. By the way I love that cover.

JMK
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:42:20 PM
Bah! I could do better if I was given the access they have! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2002, 11:30:29 PM
I bet you could looking at the cool sigs you have made for all of us.

Quinlan Qel-Droma
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:25:16 PM
Has it been determined of the extending metal piece over the emitter of Dooku's saber actually goes into the blade, or just rests closely above it?

Sith Ahnk
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:27:41 AM
Man, the wicked things you could do with Dooku's saber