PDA

View Full Version : DivX.com has defiled Duality

Darth Viscera
Jan 24th, 2002, 06:39:02 PM
Mark Thomas must be spinning in his grave.

Duality, the best Star Wars film ever, started its life as an 83 meg Quicktime movie. At 83 megs, it looked good. Now, the NovX peeps at DivX.com have created a 24 meg DivX 4.12 file. That's roughly 3 megs per minute, mind you. Of course, the video stream is lightly horrendous. They even forgot to crop out the topmost pixel (Y1 offset) -_-. Now if that isn't negligence, especially when making a DivX movie where failure to crop a single pixel can lead to an improper allowance of bits, I don't know what is.

Anyways, Duality fans unite and assist me in complaining to Everwicked and Bez, so that we can have a Duality: Special Edition DivX of sufficient size to properly enjoy without having to ignore the pixelation.

And while you're at it, note the source of my sig.

http://www.divx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=25303&forum=5
http://www.crewoftwo.com

ReaperFett
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:33:44 PM
Only fanfilms I have seen are Troops and TIE-tanic

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 24th, 2002, 09:47:53 PM
Vis, I can understand what you said, cause I do video edits and know DivX to a degree.

But for the rest the people, WTF is that supposed to mean??

Champion of the Force
Jan 26th, 2002, 08:40:37 PM
I have to agree. A bit too much technical jargon for the average reader to understand methinks.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 27th, 2002, 04:29:44 AM
*Borrow's Stone Cold's current catch phrase.* "What?!?""

Darth Viscera
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:47:04 PM
Download the quicktime version, view it and love it, and then download the DivX version, and be horrified by its rampant artifacting.

As soon as my cable modem service' transition is 100%, I'll make a webpage with screenshots detailing the degradation.

darth_mcbain
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:23:05 PM
I've seen it before at a friend's PC, but I can't find where it is online - where can this be downloaded?

Never mind - I saw your link up there (duh - I glanced at the link and it looked like a link to a forum, didn't see the one below it)

Strider
Feb 8th, 2002, 03:07:25 AM
An explination:

The quality is not what it should be. For example it has a white line on the very top edge of the screen that makes it look like the movie is wraping it self around the top. Also there were some quality issues with it visually!

Darth Viscera
Feb 8th, 2002, 04:56:31 PM
Exactly! there's particles of graininess on the characters that are present and annoying throughout the movie, whenever a lightsaber clashes the movie shatters into pixelation, etc.

Frank Harrigan
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:21:31 PM
Thats friggen horrible...
You'd figure that switching it would have been done fo the reason of improved quality... I personally hate Quicktime, for some reason my browsers quick time player doesn't work so I have to download it and watch it in a universal player... major hassel, I better friggen F-Disk soon...
Anyway, to all you people who have never seen duality... What?
What?
What?
What... what the hell are you doing sitting here reading my post, watch the fuggen thing!