PDA

View Full Version : Nightlife in the US

Gav Mortis
Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:03:12 PM
Ok, I know that's beeing vague but I am curious to what a great night out in the US would consist of, from your own experience - and yes, I'm sure it will vary from state to state, but I don't think we have a person from each state here.

I'm looking for details such as:

What type of music is most popular and which do you prefer on a night out in the town?

What is the atmosphere like? Is it laid back? How do people usually act?

How strict are the doormen on nightclubs? I know the age limit for alcohol consumtion over there is 21 but I've been told I can easily pass for 21+ however is ID required from everyone?

What are the best parts of a night out for you?

Also feel free to add any details you wish - I have just gone into curious mode. :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:19:07 PM
Er... The only nightlife I have up here in central NY is bowling (which I'll be out doing tonight), going to Denny's or Friendly's, or going to someone's house or going to watch a movie.

*isn't old enough to go to the bars.*

Darth Viscera
Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:27:20 PM
o_O

What is this "life" you speak of?

What type of music is most popular and which do you prefer on a night out in the town?

Speaking from my perspective, the most popular music in the United States of America is "Konigratze" and "L'Internationale", in that order.

Well, I've noticed that yankees tend to act extremely introverted, rushed and quiet when confronting other people. Inversely, southerners and westerners sometimes wave at you when you drive past them on a rural route :huh.

How strict are the doormen on nightclubs? I know the age limit for alcohol consumtion over there is 21 but I've been told I can easily pass for 21+ however is ID required from everyone?

I wouldn't know, seeing as how I don't drink and all (dad has syrosis of the liver, and was an alcoholic for a time). There's some bait that I don't touch.

Out is bad.

In D.C., I would recommend the Air & Space museum. While you're there, watch an IMAX movie. IMAX takes up 100% of your peripheral vision, so you're completely engrossed in it. There's also the Museum of Natural History, and the Discovery Channel museum..ey thing.

Oh yeah, and I found my ID card which identifies me as a Staff member for USUHS, Department of Defense. I'm going to test it out on the regiment of MP's who are STILL camped out at the Pentagon. :D

Admiral Lebron
Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:17:00 PM
Don't try to use a fake ID unless you wanna meet "Bubba." In DC there are lotta good meuseums like DV spoke of. As for clubs Polyesters, and 930 club are good. The Nemesis or something like it, from what I've heard is good. And shooting cans on the farm is always fun.

Darth Viscera
Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:20:24 PM
Enough talk! Let us all share in the beauty of my awesome new haircut....

Khan Surak
Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:48:27 PM
:: Torches Visc's hair with Greek Fire ::

:lol :crack

Night....life? Oh yes, the darktimes. You'd be insane to go outside at night. The Cannibalistic Space Pandas will take you up in their spaceship and make you dance for them.

All night.

To country music.

Alpha
Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:03:31 PM
:lol!

crono katon
Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:12:52 PM
:crack

I'm old enough to go to clubs ether...and really it don't matter seen's I can't drive and lets see the close night club is about 60 miles away. My night life (when I have one) is going to a friend house tell 11 or 12 a clock.(friends house half mile away)
I don't have a so called night life. I just wish I had a life around here. Night life would all most be asking to much.

Nupraptor
Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:53:04 PM
Originally posted by Gav Mortis
What type of music is most popular and which do you prefer on a night out in the town?The most popular type of music is, of course, "Pop". :) If I'm by myself, I prefer something slow and trance-like; Depeche Mode, Beborn Beton, Cruxshadows, etc. If I'm out with some friends, I like to play something fast and loud ("Battery" by Metallica springs to mind).
What is the atmosphere like? Is it laid back? How do people usually act?The people in Miami are jerks, any time of the night or day.
How strict are the doormen on nightclubs? I know the age limit for alcohol consumtion over there is 21 but I've been told I can easily pass for 21+ however is ID required from everyone?Generally speaking, you'll never get carded here. I never did and still don't.
What are the best parts of a night out for you?The driving. I love feeling the cool night air on my face.

Unfortunately, everything here does close fairly early (at least, if you're planning on being a night owl). If you want to head somewhere after 9pm, expect to be driving around for a bit, searching.

Why all the questions? Planning on a visit?

Seyxer Kose
Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:42:20 AM

Usually bands that play for cheap cover. But then again, we usually get bands here that are famous a month later. Train, Matchbox 20, Finger Eleven, Three Doors Down, etc

Very friendly, southern college campus. Generally everybody either smiles as they pass you, or says hello, etc. Need a beer? Somebody's got one for you. Need something else? Somebody's probably glad to get it for you.

Depends. Some are more strict than others. But generally, everybody's bound to get in at one bar or another, one night or another. Depends on the bar, the bouncer, and the fake you use. But then again, I don't have to worry about that anymore.

"Beer chat"....essentially just yelling at people in a slur.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:06:51 AM

>>I have to just agree with everyone else on what is most popular. Pop it is, Top 40, that sort of thing. Although in MY experience, which is mostly with a country club (no, not the one with the golf courses), country music is pretty popular too. ;) Can't get away from it! :D Of course, the nights I went they always played some Top 40 stuff as well, the dance remixes, so we could all get down a dirty on the dance floor. Not that I ever *cough* *cough* did. And I went to regular clubs as well, don't worry I'm not a complete freak!

>>Usually pretty laid back. I think. Sheesh I don't know! Why all these questions!? *hides*

>>To my experience in California, the doormen are STRICT! I've been to clubs as an 18+ and Over 21, and I've alway's had to have my ID. They'll turn you away without it. That, and I always obey the rules.

>>The dancing. I love dancing! I also just learned how to swing dance, and I am looking forward to doing more of that. Except I haven't gone to a swing club, its more of an informal thing with a bunch of friends at one of their houses.

Live Wire
Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:19:37 PM
Oooh nightlife! My favorite subject. Well everyone pretty much knows I live in the great city of LA right in Southern Cali and it doesnt matter what kind of nightlife you want you can find it here.

There are clubs here that aren't 21 and over. Theres one salsa club I go to that 18 and over after 9pm. Yes you get carded everywhere. Its really strict about that here in LA. Though I have a friend who is 19, looks like she's 25 and has a fake and she can get in anywhere. It depends though. But pretty much everywhere I know cards. Though when Im with older friends I don't get carded all the time. Depends on how nice the guy at the door is too! :D

As far as what I do...it varies.

Sometimes me and my friends will just go somewhere for dinner and then head down to the beach. The beach is awesome at night. Other times we can hit a few clubs. My fav's are the jazz clubs and the salsa clubs. Sometimes the House of Blues (theres about 3 that are within range of my house) around the area will get some good known bands in there and thats always great for a night out.

You name it we got it!

Theres lots of places to hear music, to dance, go shopping, hit a movie. And theres always the nice deserted beach late a night! :D Not that I know anything about that! :angel

I like to hang out in santa monica at the 3rd st promenade, or the new hollywood and vine's a cool place to go. Universal citywalks got a couple of nice places. As far as out of the way clubs and stuff you just have to know where to go. Come visit Gav and I'll show you around LA.

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:27:05 PM
If I go visit Gav, you'll show me around LA? How does that work? :huh :p

Live Wire
Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:31:07 PM
sheesh pick on my lack of punctuation! :rolleyes

it should read "Come and visit, Gav, and I'll show you around LA."

But you knew that!

Darth Vader
Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:05:42 PM
Yes, LA is nice...but T-town is friendlier :) What other town dispenses free beer on its public transportation?

Admiral Lebron
Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:11:58 PM
Shantytown. Its the empty lot across DC101(A Big and very popular radio station in the Washington DC area.) Every year they have a Shantytown festival thing. Like a wanna-be woodstock. Free beer, free bands, the works. Its cool so I've heard.

Live Wire
Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:18:23 PM
free beer or not So cal is still the best place to live.

Garrett Blade
Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:45:12 PM
Well if any of you USA-dwellers are ever in Liverpool, stop by my house and I'll show you the true power of the darkside. Play your cards right and I might even show you just how good a night out with me and Gav can be.

One word sums it up...

AMAZING!!!

WOOHOO!!!

AHHA!!!

PSH!!!

YOGA!!!

Okay, so that was 8 words but that's neither here nor there!

There really is only one place in my world where you can have the ultimate night out. And that's the Krazyhouse!

Welcome to my parlour, said the ice-cream to the mandolin...

So far, I haven't got the knock-back by any of the bouncers but recent news indicates I may just yet. But anyway, once inside you've got nothing less than three floors of utter madness and chaos. If there's one place on this pathetic planet that could pass as a location in our rp-world here, then this really is the domain of Garrett Blade. And it soon will be in the literal sense - once I get my sig printed on a t-shirt and wear it there ASAP.

The komboocha mushroom people!

The first floor (the K1) is normally our first port of call no matter what. This is usually the place where, later on in the night, my magical abilities come into effect. Usually, we'll have gone three hours without hearing any songs from our favourite artist. No, not Van Goff! Marilyn Manson. The magical words, if my memory serves me correctly, are...

Gayness!!!.........no Manson!!!

Lo and behold, within thirty seconds, He'll appear on my knee. And if that doesn't happen, then you can guarantee that a Manson song will come on. The more traditional K1 Manson songs tend to be Disposable Teens , The Fight Song , or The Nobodies. Recently however, The Dope Show has been playing on the K1 - bitta nosh to say the least.

As well as "Miliyin Minsin", there's good old "System of a Down". The two songs that usually get played, if any, are Sugar.....or SHOOGAA!!! as the lead singer says, and Chop Suey , with Gav's and my own, more preferable verse line of...

WAKE UP!!!
SHAMBALAMALA...MAKE UP!!!
SHAMBALAMALA SHAKE UP!!!
You wanted to!
You didn't!

Now, the interesting thing about this song, as Gav tells me since I haven't observed yet, is that when it gets to the part where the music suddenly goes momentarily quiet after "When angels deserve to die..." - the music explodes once again, and if you just stand upright and look around, you seem to be taller as everyone around you islow donw head bangin'. Madness!

There's too many songs to mention for this place, but here's a summary: Slipknot's Wait and Bleed and The Heretic Anthem, Union Underground's Turn Me On Mr Deadman, Rammstein's Sonne and Ich Will, Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff, Spineshank's New Disease and many many more.

As for atmosphere on the K1, it's just mad. As to the nature of the madness, that's hard to explain. Just the general jumping around and banging into each other during Smells like Teen Spirit.

It's just a JUMP to the LEFT!!!

Venturing up the stairs takes you onto the K2. Instantly, you notice the difference. Where the K1 is dark and black and hard to see, this place is psychadelically pink in tone. This is more like the madness of Garrett Blade. The playlist on this floor is radically different to the K1. The majority of songs here are old-school, which is why Smells like Teen Spirit also makes an appearance. You can also find Gun's N Roses - Take me down to the Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty!, AC/DC on the Highway To Hell, and Aerosmith can be seen WALKIN THIS WAY!!! But something I missed, though i've heard enough about it to imagine how great it was, was a revisit to the Rocky Horror Picture Show with Richard O'Brian's Timewarp...

I remember doing the time-warp
Drinking those moments when
The Blackness would hit me
And the void would be calling...

Let's do the timewarp again. But before that, let's finish this shall we? Atmosphere on this floor is simple - don't take yourself seriously or you won't have a good time. I'm safe then - I never take myself seriously. I do hope that the next time I'm on the K2 they play Dude Looks Like A Lady.

Hey Mister, where you headed?

The third and final floor is the K3. (still with me on this floor number business? Good!) This place is generally Nu-Metal and Punk Rock stuff. Green Day, Blink 182, Bowling For Soup, Alien Ant Farm, Linkin Park and American Hi-Fi to name but a few. Though other stuff is heard here, such as the Bizkit, Manson, Muse, SOAD and Nickelback. Gav will probably call me sad for saying this, but when I went on my first date with laura, the DJ must have read my mind and played First Date by Blink 182. Funny thing is, I can play it on my guitar now and Gav hates it. Great songs for this floor include Movies by AAF, In the End by Linkin Park, My Generation by Limp Bizkit, Flavour of the Week by American Hi-Fi, The Rock Show by Blink 182 and Hitchin' A Ride by Green Day...

Hey mister where you headed
Are you in a hurry
I need a lift to happy hour say oh no
Do you break for distilled spirits
I need a break as well
The well that inebriates the guilt 1 2
1 2 3 4

Atmosphere here is a mixture of K1 and K2 with it's own added in for flavour. This floor is the closest to any other nightclubs in Liverpool, but it is still truly unique in every way possible.

In short, the atmosphere is brilliant, and most people there are really friendly. Expect several amusing comments from the DJ's as the night crawls into the morning, and remember that where there's no Manson, there's my magic!

TSO Naval Officer
Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:03:55 PM
Garrett, I understood a few pronouns and definite articles. The rest seems to have fallen into that Liverpool syntax void.

Live Wire
Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:09:57 PM
okay this is frightening....Ive been talking to Gav and Garrett too much cause I actually understood everything he said. (not to be confused with actually understanding Garrett himself)

freaky!

Morgan Evanar
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:29:19 AM
I'm very dissapointed. No NiN. No Tool. No Foo Fighters. No Sevendust.

No Finger Eleven. Nor Godsmack or, especially, Smashing Pumpkins. No AFI.

Is it really that limited?

Darth Vader
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:44:21 AM
NiN sucks
Tool is good
Foo are okay
Sevendust are also okay
Finger Eleven rules
Godsmack rules
Smashing Pumpkins used to rule, but alas, have gone quite gay

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Jan 24th, 2002, 04:20:27 AM
:lol LW, I concur with that statement. I understood nearly ALL of that. (Although I'm still trying to figure out how to use the phrase "Bitta nosh" in a sentance.)

General Tohmahawk
Jan 24th, 2002, 04:59:06 AM
If I get over to the USA this year, I want to find a good dance club, with decent dance music. Not techno, that's awful.

50's, 60's and 70's, something to really allow you to dance properly.

Sanis Prent
Jan 24th, 2002, 05:02:43 AM
DT, there's a club in birmingham called bellbottoms that would suit your fancy nicely I think

Garrett Blade
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:28:24 PM
Is it really that limited?

Well I did say that they were only a few of the more well-known songs there. They do play the likes of Tool, NiN and Foo Fighters (Breakout is v. popular). I just never mentioned them, plus I don't like Tool or NiN anyways.

Live Wire
Jan 24th, 2002, 01:57:12 PM
All this talk about nightlifes making me want to go salsa dancing friday night. Damn now just to find someone to go with. Thats the problem...theres plenty of places to go. Its just finding a guy who can dance!

Laran Katern
Jan 24th, 2002, 02:17:49 PM
What's a typical night out for Vinny Red? Well for starts so you know i'm in a small town of 100,000 or so.

The night usually begins at my friend's place where we sit and have a few drinks and play some tony hawk 3 or some simpsons road rage, or just have the music going while talking. once 11 or so hit, depending on our mood we take off and hit this night club called O2 (Oxygen) where it's a few more drinks and dancing or we'll head to this pub called doc dylan's or to this other spot for karaoke called the endzone or this wicked cool bar called the cosmo or just some wacky combination of some or all of them.

Now this club, O2, has 2 different dance floors. The one at the back plays all the radio dance music crap or mtv dance music for lack of a better term. that one sucks. The dance floor that i like is in the front of the bar is all DJ spun music or like rave music, which is far better to dance to in my opinion.

If we go to Doc's there are some pool tables there and we just normally sit and talk, play pool while having some beer from all over the world. (they import it from everywhere and even have guiness on tap they way it should be :D ) They have a lot of live bands that play there and some excellent acoustic shows too.

If we head to the endzone, it's a whole lot of karaoke. I am the king of it! Or course some also tell me i'm an ass, so well you know...eye of the beholder thing.

At the cosmo, it's 3 floors with a bunch of smaller bars in it. They've got a dance floor on the main level. Downstairs is where the band plays, and if there is no band it's all alternative music. Beside that is the quiet laid back bar with the pool talbe. Then there is another bar laid back as well, but has acoustic shows there. It's one of my fav bars in town to go to. It's got some of everything.

So it's a lot of dancing and making a fool out of myself until 2 am, when we then head to subway to get some food and then back to my friend's place for a few more drinks and video games or whatever until we pass out.

Up here they are really strict for ID's. None of the clubs want to get busted. We've got really really good happy hour specials and they had to make a law to enforce them because of specials that were comning around like $20 for all you can drink between 9-2am. ANd of course with me having the babyface, i' always get carded anyays, but legal drinking age here is only 19 so.....

Best part of the night out for me? The whole thing, i have fun the whole night Your night is what you make it and i always try to make it a good one. And well of crouse beer helps.....

i just realized after writing this thing, that I go out way too much........hehehe

Live Wire
Jan 24th, 2002, 02:23:34 PM
I didn't know canada was part of the US :p

Kitssarri Reetissa
Jan 24th, 2002, 02:30:59 PM
we're the best part of it ;)

Jared Mriad
Jan 24th, 2002, 03:31:52 PM
*whips out the southern accent* We southerners know how to treat newcomers!

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 24th, 2002, 03:46:28 PM
USA = United States of America
USSR = Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
USJR = Canada

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 24th, 2002, 04:24:50 PM
This thread has just made me realize how sucky my backwater city-town is. (not that i didn't know before, just has been reinforced. :p)

*goes to work on applications to get out of here*

Arya Ravenwing
Jan 24th, 2002, 08:28:26 PM
I love to play pool...although I'm not much good.

..Anyone want to play for money? :D

Tissaauurree Savuurra
Jan 24th, 2002, 08:37:49 PM
<-- unsuspecting niave teenager. :angel

Sure... I'm not that good either..:mischief

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 25th, 2002, 02:19:56 AM
Nightlife in Windsor, Sydney, New South Wales.......

"Goodnight Helen!"

"Nite Mark!"

Ten minutes later

"MEOW! GRRRRR MMMMEEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!"

"Ah great, damn cats are beating the s*** out of the neigbour's rottweiler again...."

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 25th, 2002, 02:41:01 AM
:lol:lol