PDA

View Full Version : American Society of Cinematgrapher Noms

CMJ
Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:39:07 PM
These are much like the DGA with about 4 or so of the nom's matching up with the Academy. I thought there were a few surprises on this list.

Here are the 2001 American Society of Cinematographers Award nominees:
Brunce Delbonnel, Amélie
Andrew Lesnie, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Roger Deakins, The Man Who Wasn't There
Don McAlpine, Moulin Rouge
John Schwartzman, Pearl Harbor

Darth23
Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:57:19 PM
Woody Allen's right - they do nothing but give out awards.....

CMJ
Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:13:02 PM
LOL..every guild has it's own award, you're right. It' so the guild can honor it's own, since not every member is a memeber of the Academy.

Darth23
Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:24:07 AM
I don't think Moulin Rouge will win - too flashey. I don't think Pearl Harbor will take it either.

Of course, I've only actually seen 1 movie on the list....

CMJ
Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:31:08 PM
THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE will most likely win....

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:33:26 PM
Roger Deakins took home the win(I was right)...he looks good for Oscar, but I can see him being upset.

darth_mcbain
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:00:27 PM
I read a review of the Man Who Wasn't There that said it was really bad. Of course, you can't trust reviews (if I've learned anything from this forum its that!), but I find it surprising that it is up for awards given that review.

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:23:54 PM
Actually Darth Mcbain most reviews I read for it were excellent. It was also up for Best Picture from the Golden Globes... I think it's fair to say you read a review that did not agree with the consensus of most critics.

Just checked at rottentomatoes, it scored a 79% positive rating...so pretty good. :)

darth_mcbain
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:47:36 PM
I one I read was from the local reviewer for my paper - whose picks in the past haven't really made much sense to me - so I'd treat it as suspect... Guess we can't all like the same flicks... And to be fair, he didn't say it was "really bad", but it wasn't necessarily a glowing review either...