PDA

View Full Version : In the Crosshairs: Going After the Fighters (a Rogue Squadron II review)

Pierce Tondry
Jan 21st, 2002, 02:45:19 AM
The game - Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
The platform - the Nintendo Gamecube.
The rating - 4 of 5 stars.

The synopsis - Throughout the Star Wars movies, there are several major battles fought in the vastness of space. From the Millenium Falcon's escape from the Death Star to the dangerous strike at the Death Star II's core, this game captures the look and feel of those battles. From the cockpit of your trusty starifghter, you as Luke Skywalker or Wedge Antilles take part in ten missions that will test your skills as a pilot and a Rogue, including the Battles at Yavin, Hoth, and Endor from the movies.

The review - The game was well made. There are bugs, of that there can be no question. And obviously, the game used voice actors who don't measure up to the real ones. The levels can be difficult, frustratingly so at times.

Each level has programmed criteria that you earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold Medal for meeting, and in fact, making it through every mission with a Gold Medal-winning performance does not seem worth the agonizing perfection the game puts you through. The only carrot at the end of the stick is the knowledge that you kicked ass as a pilot and the military rank the game assigns you depending on how many types of each medal you've earned.

I was determined to make the highest rank the game had to offer, so I spent three rentals and several hours perfecting my flight patterns. I have unlocked all the bonus levels and come up with 14 Gold Medals and 1 Silver Medal, the Silver Medal being on the final level which is an Endurance-style mission where you face wave after wave of enemy fighters. I found every upgrade there is to find, unlocked every ship possible, and am ranked as a Fleet Admiral in the Rebel Navy. I will not be spending the 400 some odd minutes the game thinks is required to make a Gold Medal on the Endurance level, so I believe I can safely say I have covered all the ground the game has to offer, and done so in depth up to that last point.

Even as frustrated as I got with the game, it won me over. The missions are splendidly representative of Star Warsian engagements. The most fun I had in the game was finding out just how thoroughly I could blow apart the Star Destroyer Vengeance so I wouldn't have to face as many guns in the next level (that and making Fleet Admiral).

Is it worth it? - With more time and a permanent loan on the game, I would probably defeat the final level, Gold Medal style. I don't think I will, though, because it is truly horrendous. You will understand the insanity of the Endor space battle by the time you're through, though, and that, my readers, is worth the price of the rental. This is a perfectionist's game that casual players will enjoy, too.

If there's a subject or question you'd like to see examined "In the Crosshairs" feel free to e-mail it to admibrancrissean@hotmail.com or send me a PM about it. Polite criticism and feedback are welcome and encouraged.

Darth Viscera
Jan 21st, 2002, 08:02:18 AM
Is there a PC version of the game expected out? *Checks to see if there are any Gamecube emulators*

Pierce Tondry
Jan 27th, 2002, 04:31:49 AM
I have no idea if there is a PC version in the works or not. If I find out, I will let you know, however I do know that emulators for the GCN and Rogue Squadron II already exist, so they are your best bets to actually play the game without buying a Gamecube.