PDA

View Full Version : Moderator candidates

TheHolo.Net
Jan 17th, 2002, 11:56:57 PM
I know we had a thread previous to this one occurring already but would like to start fresh and get the opinions of the posters on candidates mentioned in that thread. Please try to keep this from becoming a ‘popularity’ contest and base your votes on not you friendly ties but how well you think the person will do the job based on such things as, but not limited to:

Knowledge of current and past RP events.
Ability to communicate.
Availability.
Possession and implementation of common sense
All around fairplay in regards to everyone or anything.

So do post your views/votes, be they good or bad based on the following candidates:

Rama Sha
Nichos Marr/Seth Darkserpent
ReaperFett
Lilaena Deville
Dalethria
Figrin D’an

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 18th, 2002, 12:08:28 AM
I would say Reaperfett and Seth are the best canditates. Reaper while being stubborn, is fair and Seth is also likewise., puls they are around a lot.

The best of the lot is Lilaena, but she is not on long enough.... and to be honest, she is a bloody nice person and I would not wish that job on her ever. I would rather she stays enjoying roleplay and not get burdened with the side effect crap.

Taylor Millard
Jan 18th, 2002, 12:11:48 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
The best of the lot is Lilaena, but she is not on long enough.... and to be honest, she is a bloody nice person and I would not wish that job on her ever. I would rather she stays enjoying roleplay and not get burdened with the side effect crap.

I agree completely.

And I second ReaperFett and Seth. I also add Dale as well.

Nupraptor
Jan 18th, 2002, 12:54:24 AM
I know I'm in an official position and all, but I personally think that Seth/Nichos would be the best person for the job. From what I know of him, he's a very level-headed and rational person.

Darth Havok
Jan 18th, 2002, 12:55:35 AM
I would also support Fett getting it, and either or Dale or Lilaena; also good candidates for the position in my view of the whole grand scheme of things.. But as Marcus touched on, I wouldn’t wish this job on anyone also.. hehe..

Darth Lynch
Jan 18th, 2002, 12:57:58 AM
I'll put my vote in for Rama.

The guy has been here longer than most, he has seen it all, had it all done to him, and pretty much survived hell, fire and brimestone. What does that mean? I think its means he is not fool hardy to take any one side or lash out needlessly unless given reason, he has the common sense and experience to have been through almost any situation possible in these last two or so years he has been here. Him being still here despite seeng just about the worse of the place along with the good is rather remarkable considering he has never taken a prolonged break or retirement as many have.

He has a dedication to swfans in whole, He plays a Sith yet offered to help out the Jedi group that has at times not been on the best of terms with him. He didnt ask if he could help them to do it for ambition or ego. He did it to actually help for the sake of helping. Thats a rare thing not truely often seen around here.

If someone does something or says something and your his friend or enemy he'll often reply in the same way or tone. Like I said, he has seen it all from all sides, he has played the game and knows how many play it.

That being said my name shouldnt be up there, many of us know that so do ask for it to be removed. It just takes up space where someone better suited should be listed.

Oh yeah...also agree with the choice of Fett, but dont feel like writing up another long winded reason why. :p

Darth Viscera
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:25:43 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
I would say Reaperfett and Seth are the best canditates. Reaper while being stubborn, is fair and Seth is also likewise., puls they are around a lot.

My thoughts echo DT's 110% on this matter.

Jeseth Cloak
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:34:35 AM
Rama Sha - Rama is open to communication if you approach him, but because most of my past experiences with him were actually not for the best, I don't really feel I have a clear-view of his qualifications. I think he can be reasonable and very dedicated, even honorable to his word, but I really can't give any kind of honest account of what I feel his ups and downs are because our pasts did not agree with each other. He does have a fresh perspective that not many of the staff members here do, and so perhaps his addition should be considered as an incentive to maintain a bit of balance and change within the system.

Nichos Marr/Seth Darkserpent - I think Nichos is all around a fair RPer, easy to communicate with, and is fairly familiar with the roleplaying scene. I don't know however if he is available enough at the current time to make a suitable moderator IMO.

ReaperFett - He's level headed and calm, and he is also around an awful lot, but he can at times butt heads with people in a way that can aggravate and frustrate others quite easily. Like Rama, he would assure that things are kept fresh and new within the staff, but unless he works on his communication skills, he might have a tough time settling disputes between roleplayers or grievances with the staff.

Lilaena Deville - She is not often available, but she is very cool and level headed, and very easy to communicate with. I would have to say she is easily one of the least biased or offensive Rpers on the boards.

Dalethria - I'm not sure of her availability either (that seems to be a problem with most of these choices), but I know her to be a very dedicated and honorable person who is trust worthy and open to communication, however the only reason I can think of why she might not make an ideal moderator is that it's not exactly a secret that there are people out there in the roleplaying community who would likely be in a secret uproar about having her attain such a position. It may not be healthy for the environment and stir up past feelings of resentment - aside from that, I see no problem with her becoming a moderator and personally am in her favor; she has done this job before and is fairly familiar with it, and tends not to really care about what people think when she does the right thing, which is important IMO if you're ever going to get anything worthwhile done at all.

Figrin D’an - While Figrin is a fair person, I don't think he is available enough to moderate this forum. He meets all the qualifications but is around even less than any of the others who were put forth as candidates, so in my opinion I'm not sure he would be very effective overall.

I was asked to speak my mind on what I thought were the ups and down of each candidate, and I did so. If anyone doesn’t like my opinion they can either contact me over PM to discuss it, or blow me, in no particular order.

Darth Viscera
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:39:11 AM
Wise choice.

EDIT~No, not you :p

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:57:35 AM
I'd have to agree... I think I'd be a horrible choice for a moderator. :p

Seriously, though... while honored to have my name mentioned, I don't feel that I'm qualified to hold the position. The other people mentioned would be more than admirable choices, and would be able to perform the job more effectively than I could.

Thanks for listening.

Darth Vader
Jan 18th, 2002, 02:12:30 AM
ReaperFett is a good choice, due to his incessant clinging to the dissenting viewpoint.

Lilaena Deville would also be a good choice, as she's probably the nicest person here with the exception of Yog or Hera.

Dalethria however, would be my top choice. She's done it before, and we all know how quick to the punch she was when things needed editing and stuff.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 18th, 2002, 02:21:59 AM
Wow! I am on the list of potential mods! Amazing! *faints*

My thoughts on the mod choices:

Rama: I haven't had a lot of contact with him, but he seems a decent guy. Although he uses a Rob Zombie pic... :uhoh

Nichos Marr/Seth Darkserpent: Seems like a good choice to me, he's on a lot (I think? :p) and has a good sense of what is fair and reasonable. Even though he stole LD's baby...I would say Seth is a very good choice for a mod.

ReaperFett: Yay for Fett! Also, another great guy, has a good head on his shoulders, and he's so funny! :mischief In all seriousness, Fett is on a lot, he knows what he's talking about, and is stubborn enough not to back down when he's right.

Lilaena De'Ville: I know I'm not on a lot, but I am on every night for at least two to three hours. If the job was offered to me, I would do the best job I could do...*reads all the comments about her* Awww shucks guys. :o

Dalethria: She's been a mod before, I dont' have a problem with her being one again. :D

Figrin D'an: Like Rama, I don't know much about Figrin, but he seems a decent guy. Lets hear it for people with apostrophes in their last names! Woooo! :mneh

:ebil

edit: forgot to mention, this is a really hard list to vote from, everyone (except maybe me?) is really well suited for the job. Good luck deciding!

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Jan 18th, 2002, 02:24:31 AM
My choices for new Mods are:

Rama and ReaperFett

They are both veteran, respected roleplayers in the community and know current and past RP events. They are both able to communicate effectively in an unbiased manner and would serve to round out the staff nicely with their fresh perspectives on matters. They are both online daily and I believe are available to post as needed. Plus, neither of them are swamped with their own roleplays thus making them better suited IMO to monitor the goings on of the forums since they are not involved in alot of stuff to post to. They are both examples of the catch phrase 'common sense and fair play' as demonstrated in their long time roleplaying history on the boards.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 18th, 2002, 03:22:20 AM
All of the candidates would be very good moderators.

My vote would go to Seth or Fett. Hey, that rhymes.

imported_Eve
Jan 18th, 2002, 08:39:04 AM
My vote here doesn't count as I don't RP, but I would like to comment:

Fett, I know better than anyone here does, I'm sure, and I think he would do a exceptional job (and so does everyone here so far). To what Jes said - if you watch him, he only argues with people who also are arguers. You can't quite put it all on him.

Dale - She was great before, and she'll be great again. One of the most fair people I have met. You already know she can do it.

LD - I don't know why I have to keep telling people this, but although she is a nice girl, she can handle things. She is not some delicate thing that can't make her own choices. Don't not vote for her because you don't want to see her tainted. Let her make that choice. With her attitude, she would probably STILL be cool-headed as mod.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 18th, 2002, 08:43:18 AM
I am going to have to agree with DT. I dont want anyone burned away from the mod experience. LD is a great person and I feel that if she became a mod it would cheapen her experience here at the boards. But she gets my vote if she wants it, she can take it...

I will be giving my vote to Fett, and Nichos.

Rama I dont really know him that well but he seems to be a good choice.

Dale has done it before and I would give her my vote but I dont want her being shot down with OOC attacks or anything.

Figrin... Dont know him... :(

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:46:21 AM

Im honoured you would wish it on me though :)

I personally think Nichos is best.

Knowledge of current and past RP events.
Very knowledgable

Ability to communicate.
He's on more or less every day for a fair while, and uses AIM most of this time

Availability.
See above

Possession and implementation of common sense
Cant think of a time where he hasn't used common sense

All around fairplay in regards to everyone or anything.
Again, cant think when he hasnt

Also, he knows a lot about SW as a whole, and knows where to look if he doesnt know something.

Nichos Marr
Jan 18th, 2002, 04:47:34 PM
O_O

Wow, unexpected this is...and unfortunate that I have to ask for my name to be removed from the candidate's list. About a month ago, I wouldn't have said this, but I don't think I'm on enough to keep up with everything. I am very honoured that I was considered and I see people had some good things to say about me.

I would love to be a mod, but I personally don't want to get into something I can't handle. If I do that, then I'd be letting you guys down too. Being a moderator is a great responsibility, one that deserves someone that'll be there, through and through.

Now, that being said I think ReaperFett and De'Ville would make great moderators. Along with Dalethria, considering she's had past experiences as a SWFans moderator.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 18th, 2002, 09:55:11 PM
Eve...thank you for your comments, I appreciate them immensely. :)

DarthHERA
Jan 18th, 2002, 10:47:41 PM
I echo the sentiment that it is a tough list to chose from and agree with alot of the comments made on ppl so far.
(most pointedly, Eve's on LD)

My vote is for either

ReaperFett - though I know he likes to argue :) I also know he has the patience to hear the other side of view and will calmly hash things out in a reasonable manner. He seems to have an unending capacity for "reply" but together with that, a very fairplay attitude . (plus he has great legs) :D

Or

Seth/Nichos - I havent known him very long or even that well, but the short time I have, he has struck me as being a very considerate and patient person. To have that come across with out him really trying, says a whole lot to me about the kind of person he is.
(It is a shame for us that he is not as available as we need him to be).

Or

Rama - I think he quite often has a contrary point of view and sometimes this is a really good thing. I always remember him as taking a different approach than most to things and it would often make ppl take step back for another look.

(Daley - my opinion is much like Jeseths, You are awesome, but I think the cry of "clique" may vex you - not that that should be a deciding factor, just a personal consideration for your sake. If youre up for it, have at it)

ps) Yog, I read your post eleventy times, and I still cant make it rhyme..:rollin

Pss)*hugs for Charley:)

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 10:59:07 PM
I have no idea what Yog was rhyming either, must be silent words :)

To be quite honest, stuff the people who'd have probs with Dale. The topic is here to discuss who would be best. How can they argue when SWFANS chose her, not the existing upper hierarchy? Anyone would think we had Bothans posting :)

Nupraptor
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:02:31 PM
Hey! I'm a bothan, and I take offense to that! :D

DarthHERA
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:05:16 PM
you are? since when?

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:11:42 PM
sure dont look Bothan :)

Tirsa Krylana
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:25:38 PM
Well Nup seems to act furry.... so maybe :)

Dale here incase you didn't know lol

Thank you for those that mentioned me and of course the possible backlash. If I get to be a mod again, then I shall do it because you guys believe in me. I personally don't care what other people think because it happened the last time I was a mod and you know what, I did my job to the best of my ability and no one complained.

I appreciate it very much so for the kind words from my friends and fellow RPers :) Especially since tonight has been :(

As for mods... wish that you could be one Nichos, I think you would have done well. I would say Fett... around all the time and you can't get rid of him =P Only problem is that he reads that KJA and likes him -__- lol

But... he is fair and willing to listen. Kudos to that.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:31:09 PM
I would say Fett... around all the time and you can't get rid of him =P Only problem is that he reads that KJA and likes him
You dont think not getting rid of me is bad too? :)

Navaria Tarkin
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:32:57 PM
Nah... me likes ya. Your me ReaperFett type friend :D .... except for the above mentioned quote ^_^

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 11:45:19 PM
What can I say? Accept no substitute :)

Ghostie Gitane
Jan 19th, 2002, 09:34:05 AM
^__^ I'm tossing my vote in here. I'm too braindead to toss in comments, though. :x

Fett and Dale.

Lady Mara Jade
Jan 19th, 2002, 03:33:15 PM
I think that Dale has done a wonderful job in the past and she'd do great again. Not that I have anything against any of the other candidates at all, they would be suitable for the position, however I think that since Dale has more experience here at Swfans.net she would be the logical choice.

Nathan West
Jan 19th, 2002, 04:15:34 PM
Rama Sha
Nichos Marr/Seth Darkserpent
ReaperFett

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2002, 12:04:31 AM
Hang on, just noticed I have a lot of votes.

Are you sure? In your(your being various people) own words, I argue for the sake of arguing, cause arguments, am stubborn and try to be funny when humour is the last thing needed. And you STILL think Im a good choice?

BTW, because Ferris dropped, I switch to Dale as my #1 choice

Darth Viscera
Jan 20th, 2002, 04:07:15 AM
He dropped? Well then my vote is for Fett.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2002, 06:03:23 AM
If Nochos is out, then my vote is Reaperfett and Rama.

Nichos Marr
Jan 20th, 2002, 10:17:14 AM
He dropped?

It was the 18th post in this thread! :p

TheHolo.Net
Jan 20th, 2002, 11:25:22 PM
I was going to give this another day or two, but in light of recent events I feel that the decision should be rendered now according to what everyone has said thus far.

A hearty welcome to the staff goes out to ReaperFett and Dalethria from the current staff here at SWFans.Net. Thank yous go out to everyone for providing their input on this matter. :)

Evil Hobgoblin
Jan 20th, 2002, 11:30:00 PM
If I had to pick one of the four remaining candidates, I would probably vote for ReaperFett. In every area that counts, I believe Fett has necessary experience. In my eyes each other candidate falls short in at least one area of major importance.

Evil Hobgoblin
Jan 20th, 2002, 11:31:43 PM
That's not fair. I got distracted while posting. How dare you announce the winners already! :-p

TheHolo.Net
Jan 20th, 2002, 11:33:11 PM
Mneh. :p

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 21st, 2002, 12:18:43 AM
Just a nitpick, I had planned on posting to this tonight. Perhaps it would be a good idea to announce the deadline at the start of the thread. I know several people who were planning on replying to this in the next couple of days that would have done it today had they known about the deadline.

That said, my vote (although it doesn't matter) goes to Rama Sha and Figrin.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jan 21st, 2002, 01:44:44 AM
this is a weird night... I come on, Sanis is gone :( ... Fett and I are mods ... I write a post... Sanis is back :)

Btw~ Thank you for trusting me again and to those that voted for me and Daegal... never think you don't matter. Bad thoughts =P

ReaperFett
Jan 21st, 2002, 09:53:04 AM
http://www.thesimpsons.com/bios/images/bios_townspeople_burns.gif

Eeexcellent, everything is falling into place...

:)

ta all:)

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2002, 11:13:38 AM
And thus, we find the best-fitting pic for Fett, ever.

ReaperFett
Jan 21st, 2002, 04:43:24 PM
:)

Nupraptor
Jan 21st, 2002, 09:32:35 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
And thus, we find the best-fitting pic for Fett, ever. Actually, Ed Sullivan (the head vBulletin developer) uses that pic as his avatar on the vB forums. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 21st, 2002, 09:43:02 PM
See? Great minds think alike.

And sometimes, I think like great minds too :)

Champion of the Force
Jan 21st, 2002, 10:56:37 PM
Perhaps it would be a good idea to announce the deadline at the start of the thread.
Whilst that would be ideal, often it is hard to place any planned deadline on threads such as this due to the unpredictable nature of people responding etc.

Moral to the story - respond as soon as possible. :)

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:36:44 AM
Congrats Dale and Fett! *hugs to all...I mean, to them ;)*