PDA

View Full Version : Simple suggestion.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:58:15 PM
Don't trust locked forums.

Gav Mortis
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:00:38 PM
How come? :eek

Has a recent bad experience led to this conclusion?

imported_Firebird1
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:01:46 PM
Your just now finding that out......

It seems we may have a problem then...

Live Wire
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:19:21 PM
what happened this time???

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:24:22 PM
yeah, whassup?

Sanis Prent
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:45:07 PM
In short, a few idiots here have nothing better to do than poke, pry, and prod people to death, trying to wedge their foot in the doorways of these locked forums, and find stuff out. And when they find stuff out...they get (gasp) OFFENDED.

Nice ethical oversights though. Real nice.

Rama
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:55:34 PM
That happened to me one time.....Someone not only got into one of the locked forums and then told people what was said and pissed them off, but then they deleted the whole board somehow. Had to have been someone I knew.....or at least knew me. So I lost the whole board and someone poked their nose where it didn't belong. It was a great experince.....but I'd like to say it was the first too. Stuff out of SO always seems to find it's way to people who don't have access to SO. So locked forums can't be trusted at all.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:57:05 PM
Arent they though?

Admiral Lebron
Jan 17th, 2002, 04:51:40 PM
Thats why I make most transgressions on AIM, an save logs where its harder to get to it.

Darth Lynch
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:01:46 PM
Locked forums.....one can never trust them.

I know I dont.

Anyone putting their faith in a locked forum is looking for a headache eventually. Most of us have learned that.

Seems like every two months got some leak in SO or something, of course what else can you expect? These things do happen. They're not nice, they're not fun. They can cause a serious question of loyalty and trust. Two very big things indeed. But what can one do? Thats the eternal question.

Oh well, when it comes to locked forums now I simply smile because thats about all one can do.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:15:03 PM
Well, I dont know anything about the occurence above, but sometimes I wonder if it would be good idea removing PW locked forums alltogether. Concidering there is supposed to be a sense of trust, cooperation and an open set of mind between the groups, they are starting to become an anachronism.

I am probably the only one to think that though. :)

Nupraptor
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:35:32 PM
If you mean locked forums related to RPing, I'd have to agree. I always thought that people made too much of a big deal out of locked forums for roleplaying purposes. I've been in most every locked forum, at one point or another. You know what? There's no big secrets going on in them (*gasp*). The Temple Avalon, for example, is usually just used to vote on the promotion of padawans.

However, the privacy of non-RP related locked forums should be respected. Some people seem to let their curiousity get the better of them and really push to find out what's going on in them.

Arya Ravenwing
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:45:14 PM
I have to say:

I AGREE! Non RP related locked forums should be left alone (if you're not allowed in please don't make it a bigger deal than it has to be, okay? Sheesh!) and RP related locked forums (the Candelabra of Malice at TBH being a good example, as well as Avalon, etc) I think they should be unlocked. I mean, if I do a cool RP there, no one can read it! *sigh

*goes back to work* Now I've spent too much time on break! For shame on you all for bringing me here during the day!

Oh, and HI Nup ;)

Sumor Rayial
Jan 17th, 2002, 07:59:39 PM
I'm going to disagree with the points about getting rid of all locked forums that relate to RP only.

It's not that I disagree with the idea, I like it. I would love to be able to read stuff in other groups forums and give feedback (if they want it) that might help make the decision easier, or idea better or more in depth.

But there is that other side of the coin. The one that we all know is there and it's the reason that they are locked. Some people don't know how to seperate IC from OOC. I'm not going to say that so and so is guilty of doing this here here and there. No point in it other than probably starting an argument. Honestly I'm sure that we all have done it at some time. Some to lesser degrees than other.

I don't really see this happening. Despite what some have said I doubt that many would honestly open up their locked forums, just my personal opinion on this.

imported_Eve
Jan 17th, 2002, 09:11:28 PM
I agree with Sumor. There are several reasons that people lock forums for RP, and he only listed one.

I gotta tell ya, on a personal note. I'm really tired of things like I see in this very thread: a person who has recently either broke into a locked forum or took it upon themselves to indulge in someone else's doing so, and then posting here like they know nothing about it (and furthermore think its wrong). And the people who know don't say anything cause they're worried they'll step on too many wrong toes.

My gawd, what has this place come to?!?

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 09:38:35 PM
I think it should stay how it is. Few reasons off the top of my head:

-No need. Does it REALLY matter that much? Others may have views on this, but Ive never really seen why it would do anything good.

-Spoiling the suprise. When I do a RP, I keep my cards to my chest. I like to think that people will have some suprises when they read it. Because they are me-orientated, this works. But say if the GJO were planning a RP like this. How could they do any sort of suprise? Only way would be a locked forum, IMO

-It will just move it off-board. This one is an opinion. If you open a board, there is a chance some would start to talk on AIM rather than ever post. This would then make a small circle of people know what was going on until the last minute, splintering the group more. Is that better?

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 17th, 2002, 10:47:19 PM
Eve, I so agree...

Rama
Jan 18th, 2002, 03:44:51 PM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
If you mean locked forums related to RPing, I'd have to agree. I always thought that people made too much of a big deal out of locked forums for roleplaying purposes. I've been in most every locked forum, at one point or another. You know what? There's no big secrets going on in them (*gasp*). The Temple Avalon, for example, is usually just used to vote on the promotion of padawans.

However, the privacy of non-RP related locked forums should be respected. Some people seem to let their curiousity get the better of them and really push to find out what's going on in them.

I agree with you 100% Nup. But problem is.......who is to say RP discussion arn't going on in a forums that arn't RP realted. I mean how do you really police that? It's impossible.......And needless to say people will lie to you to keep their secerts.

*Edit* Changed "Thread" to "Forum"

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2002, 04:06:23 PM
Notice:

Charges of infiltration are currently pending against a person who has posted in this thread. If the charges are validated, they will be formalized. Thank you.

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 18th, 2002, 04:43:06 PM
::: wonders who is is ::: O_o

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 19th, 2002, 05:11:59 AM
But there is that other side of the coin. The one that we all know is there and it's the reason that they are locked. Some people don't know how to seperate IC from OOC. I'm not going to say that so and so is guilty of doing this here here and there. No point in it other than probably starting an argument. Honestly I'm sure that we all have done it at some time. Some to lesser degrees than other.

Sumor, I agree.

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2002, 07:02:47 AM
Originally posted by Daegal Murdoch
::: wonders who is is ::: O_o

Colonel Mustard, in the study, with the candlestick. That's my guess anyhow.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 19th, 2002, 07:59:49 AM
Vis, it's good to be funny, but I think joking at infiltration is not right. On the scale of sins at SWForums, it is No 1 and is sole thing you can be banned for without a warning.

I honestly hope this turns out not correct or just an honest mistake.

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2002, 12:25:11 PM
I could rant and rave, express my disgust against the person who committed the act, whoever that may be, and type nasty things until my face gets red about the required preeminent moral constitution of a roleplayer for his peers, about how privacy should be respected above all else.

But hell, I'm in the dark about this, as I assume many others are as well. Thus I resort to humor.

Rama
Jan 20th, 2002, 03:49:22 PM
Hey take it easy on People.......Us Common folk don't know what's going on and some people(like myself) use humor to lighten the mood. No reason to come down all serious on him, it's just a game after all......not like anyone died. :p

As for the Spy/Leak.........I hope that when the truth is found, the person responisble is punished to the full extent of the power here at SWFANS.

Gav Mortis
Jan 20th, 2002, 04:16:27 PM
As for the Spy/Leak.........I hope that when the truth is found, the person responisble is punished to the full extent of the power here at SWFANS.

Agreed.

I have a question: what exactly is infiltration? (I don't need word definition! :p) I mean, how does a roleplayer infiltrate a locked forum? Under the guise of an alternative account/character? If this is the case, then we really ought to start cracking down on the screening process involving access to locked forums. Alternatively, can an infiltration be accomplished via some form of hacking? Mind you, anything can be achieved through hacking these days so it wouldn't suprise me!

On a more personal note, I'd like to say I have, in the past, been accused of infiltration two or three times now, all of which unjustly, I still don't recall receiving an apology for the awful scrutiny I received until it was all cleared up *cough* Guilty until proven innocent! *cough* I have raised this before with little progress. Yes, infiltration is the worst thing to do and should be taken seriously and punished serverely, but in your endevours I suggest two things from my experience:

a. Be cautions in jumping the gun to point fingers unless you are absolutely certain - being accused of infiltration can be very offending and upsetting to an innocent member of a community whose trust he/she thought they had earned.

b. Be humanitarian - don't be quick to bite unneccessarily. This community is trying to resolve the negative atmosphere issue; on top of infiltration problems we don't need this.

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2002, 05:05:10 PM
Infiltration can be achieved through many methods. One of which is creating an account for the sole purpose of accessing restricted information. Another is by hacking. Others still are divulging information from a private forum to parties who are not allowed in, and in turn, another form is knowingly taking and utilizing such information.

While all can be deemed infiltration, not all are equally severe. One and Two are pretty similar. Three is about as severe, but Four and Five are lessening in severity. Of course, punishment for such can't be summarily decided. Extenuating circumstances and other situations come into effect. But I'm sure that most know that the maximum penalty for infiltration is banning. Thus, it is a very serious thing to bring up. Infiltration is hard to prove, and just as hard to punish. Its nothing to be taken lightly, and nobody will be formally accused until evidence is gathered that is sufficient to either validate accusations made, or that is failed, and the investigation is ended.

I assure you, this will be handled with utmost care and discretion, understanding that even accusations can be damaging to people.