PDA

View Full Version : Did ezboard die?

Zasz Grimm
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:13:58 PM
It wont let me into any boards, whatsoever.

Gav Mortis
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:15:38 PM
Probably having another of many "upgrades."

Zasz Grimm
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:17:16 PM
All day?

been happening since 6 this morning CST

Gav Mortis
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:19:10 PM
It's not unheard of; I mean, it is EZBoard remember! :)

Zasz Grimm
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:22:32 PM
True... stupid crap.

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:32:36 PM
yeah, because no other sites ever go down, do they?

Gav Mortis
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:54:11 PM
It's not the going down that bothers me - it's the new "features" that they add to their service when the site is back up...all these new features...for only $100!

imported_Firebird1
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:56:58 PM
Apparently they are experancing some networking problems...

But don't worry, they have a staff of trained monkeys working on it right now!

Gav Mortis
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:59:08 PM
:lol

Ooh! My post count was 1666 a moment ago. Cool!http://www.andrew-milligan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misc/rock.gif

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:09:50 PM
Fire, this place is down a fair bit. You calling Ogre a monkey? :)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:11:19 PM
I have no idea why you continue to support something that works so poorly Fett.

Gav Mortis
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:14:33 PM
At least it's up now.

....and EZBoard should be working too! :D

TheHolo.Net
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:18:10 PM
Good that ezboard is up, because I need to take Fans down for a bit to see if I can fix a new user and PW reset problem we are having here.

I'll take the board down in 15 or 20 minutes and hopefully only have it down for about 5 or 10 minutes.

Live Wire
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:18:49 PM
:rolleyes

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:19:27 PM
Morg, there is support, and not bandwagon jump. The post dissapearences is bad, very bad. That Allspark thing was wrong. But complaining because of something that happens to a lot of websites? Now you're just getting desperate to bash

And see? Our monkey is doing the same :)

Nupraptor
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:21:59 PM
You're the one who complains when SWFans goes down for a couple of minutes, Fett. Who's desperate to bash?

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:25:42 PM
1. I normally have a :) in there. Hmm, wonder if it means anything?

2. If you want to be picky, I dont complain. I pointed out that it has gone down when someone disagreed. SWFans itself did cofirm this. Is he desperate to bash too?

Nupraptor
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:27:01 PM
Nope. But are the people here "desperate to bash" because they said it's unsurprising that a ****ty service was down for most of the day?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:27:09 PM
A little less calling me a monkey may actually help with my continued motivation to see that this forum runs properly. :p

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:32:36 PM
Oh come on, if we call you a monkey, you get bananas :)

And Nup, everytime I talk about a film, or Ezboard actually, you seem to reply to disagree, many times almost.....mindlessly bashing me. Strage that ;) :)

Nupraptor
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:39:44 PM
You seem to defend illogical points just so someone has to come along and disagree. o_O

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 02:57:27 PM
just because Im not riding your bandwagon :)

TheHolo.Net
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:03:53 PM
The bug hunt is over and the board is back up for the duration. I think I've killed them for now, besides a few minor ones like the registration thanks message being blank because of a hack I added. Changing email addresses and registering new accounts appears to work again. No more scheduled downtime for the board from my end.

Live Wire
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:05:03 PM
is it possible to have one day go by without some kind of petty disagreement? Or is that a stupid question?

imported_Firebird1
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:17:03 PM
No Ogre is a Gorilla...... Streight from the Planet of The Apes!

:p

Anyways leave The Allspark out of this. Ezboard had a techincal problem.

Sanis Prent
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:19:27 PM
well...when Swfans goes down or upgrades...it usually comes back with positive, constructive results.

Thats the difference between the two.

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:22:57 PM
Ezboard did!

....once. They had that last poster thing. Very nice, big improvement :)

I hate internet ad companies, they nearly killed most of my favourite sites last year :)

Sanis Prent
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:38:56 PM
I know the only closest thing you got is cricket, but I'll make this comparison anyway.

You know what happens in baseball when you have a batter with a .050 average? He gets kicked off the team, cause he sucks. It doesn't matter that he hit that one home run in that one game out of 100. The other 4 dozen or more times he batted, he struck out.

Yes, so EZ's had an improvement or two. Now compare their batting average and Swfans average. Its night and day, and EZ is pathetic.

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:44:20 PM
actually, Rounders is far closer. Or softball. Or maybe even Baseball :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:46:35 PM
There is only one thing I care about with EZBoard and after I have finished with that, it can go to the pit.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:53:20 PM
I liked it when the views came out. It made me feel important when people looked at the post...

:)

Admiral Lebron
Jan 17th, 2002, 04:47:47 PM
You also have to through time into the baseball comparasion. EZboard is like Michael Jordan. And we're some 25 year old hotshot.

Nupraptor
Jan 17th, 2002, 04:49:38 PM
Er, your analogy fails to hold water... just because you haven't been using vB for very long doesn't mean that it hasn't been around longer.

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:34:29 PM
Now compare their batting average and Swfans average.

Now compare the number of users on EzBoard to the number of users on Fans...

The "improvements" flat out suck, but as a whole, ezboard is not that bad. Where else can you make a free semi-customizable message board? It seems funny to me that the higher powers bash EzBoard so much, but you must remember that this board would have never came about had there not been an EzBoard.

Nupraptor
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:39:51 PM
Originally posted by Daegal Murdoch
Now compare the number of users on EzBoard to the number of users on Fans...Ah, of course it's more accurate to compare the number of people on a single board to a slew of them. How silly of me.
Where else can you make a free semi-customizable message board?http://www.network54.com/
but you must remember that this board would have never came about had there not been an EzBoard. :: cough ::

CC.net (http://www.coruscantcity.net/cgi-bin/ccnet/board/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true)

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:52:59 PM
network 54 is horrible, IMO.

And even CC.net owes its existence to Ezboard.

I'm not saying that we don't owe a lot of our past to EZ....but the EZ of the past is gone, and replaced with something ridiculously awful, and getting worse. I feel no inherent loyalty to a piece of web software. I'm an IS major...I go for what works best for the least price. Yes, Swfans isn't free, but it works 100 times better than EZfrell, making it worth the money

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:55:15 PM
This board started actually one hell of a long time before that.

It was at the now defunt jawafortress.com message boards first.

And we would NEVER have left EZboard, except for the fact they lose posts, crash, delte users and boards, crash, upgrades that lose features instead of gaining them, bull**** excuses.....

Shall we go on? The fact is, if EZboard was better, we would have stayed. It's not. We went.

End of story, EZboard's antics lost so far some of the best and biggest boards. I dont want to bet how long GJO are going to put up with post deletions and corruptions and **** service, but not long now I bet.

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 17th, 2002, 05:58:03 PM
Ah, of course it's more accurate to compare the number of people on a single board to a slew of them. How silly of me.

Then why compare the uptime of a slew of them to the uptime of a single board? You are contradicting yourself Nup....anyhow. Have a nice day, everyone. I just got done with Finals for today so I am a happy camper. :rollin

Nupraptor
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:06:29 AM
Originally posted by Daegal Murdoch
Then why compare the uptime of a slew of them to the uptime of a single board? You are contradicting yourself NupNope. Pick any one board. Heck, for the sake of being fair: Pick the ezboard SWFans. How long was that down? If anything, the fact that all of their boards were down as opposed to just, say, a single server only makes it worse for them. This board is hardly ever down for more than 5-10 minutes at a time, and then usually during the early hours of the day.

Also, I didn't get the chance to respond to this earlier, as I was heading out the door:
It seems funny to me that the higher powers bash EzBoard so muchFunny, when we had that rather large discussion thread regarding moving the board, I don't remember anyone saying that they wanted to stay with ezboard... but I guess that's because we all love it so much, eh?

Nupraptor
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:29:48 AM
BTW - Other free Messageboards:

http://www.phpbb.com/

phpBB. Excellent, for a free service. Very similar in appearance to vB. The Replica Props board is powered by this.

http://yabb.xnull.com/

YaBB. Very similar to UBB. From what I've seen, a great piece of freeware.

Nathan West
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:58:36 AM
Only the higher powers? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO GET SOMETHING TO WORK RIGHT ON THAT RESTRICTIVE PIECE OF CRAP?

Obviously, you weren't paying attention when I was implimenting GJO's layout.

Ezboard is crap, you ungrateful heathens.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 18th, 2002, 02:14:58 AM
EZBOARD IS A HEAP OF ****.

EOF

imported_Firebird1
Jan 18th, 2002, 02:54:22 AM
It's the dreaded $04 in ASCII!!!

EOT!!!

Well for all it's problems, it was a good free service, but now as a paying service I have to ask, is it worth that much Bull!

Nupraptor
Jan 18th, 2002, 03:19:19 AM
BTW - I'm not saying Ezboard has always been as bad as it's current incarnation. I've been a member literally since they first started letting people register accounts, long before I even found out about SWFans. If you can catch her online, just ask Knytewulf. And when it first started, I was an adament supporter of them. Then came the banner ads: Ok, I could deal with that. No biggie. And the pop ups. And removing features. Then the CSC program.

As it stands, ezboard is considered little more than a very bad joke by people who run serious websites. I once mentioned on the vB support forums that SWFans used to be on Ezboard, and the general reaction I got was "Ezboard?! LMAO!".

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 18th, 2002, 03:53:29 PM
Funny, when we had that rather large discussion thread regarding moving the board, I don't remember anyone saying that they wanted to stay with ezboard... but I guess that's because we all love it so much, eh?

Or perhaps we weren't all around then. Your posts are so dripping with sarcasm that they can almost put an eye out. Take a step back...please.

Only the higher powers? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO GET SOMETHING TO WORK RIGHT ON THAT RESTRICTIVE PIECE OF CRAP?

Not a jedi so I don't pay attention to what you do on GJO, sorry.

BTW - I'm not saying Ezboard has always been as bad as it's current incarnation. I've been a member literally since they first started letting people register accounts, long before I even found out about SWFans. If you can catch her online, just ask Knytewulf. And when it first started, I was an adament supporter of them. Then came the banner ads: Ok, I could deal with that. No biggie. And the pop ups. And removing features. Then the CSC program.

As it stands, ezboard is considered little more than a very bad joke by people who run serious websites. I once mentioned on the vB support forums that SWFans used to be on Ezboard, and the general reaction I got was "Ezboard?! LMAO!".

Agreed.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 04:05:01 PM
Ezboard is crap

EZBOARD IS A HEAP OF ****.

FACT: Water has Hydrogen in it
OPINION: That up there :)

Well for all it's problems, it was a good free service, but now as a paying service I have to ask, is it worth that much Bull!
Id about agree with you there. It is worth it in certain circumstances

I once mentioned on the vB support forums that SWFans used to be on Ezboard, and the general reaction I got was "Ezboard?! LMAO!".
Most people in there have money to spend, which sortof makes them a bit biased in the fact that one of Ezboards good points is free-ness. And besides, there is a LOT worse than Ezboard

Milivikal k'Vik
Jan 18th, 2002, 04:50:12 PM
Ezboards good points is free-ness

Bull. PHPbb is a much better piece of software than ezboard, and its also free.

As for Ezboard:

Is it flexible?

No.

Is it easy to use?

No.

Is it reliable?

No.

Do problems get fixed?

Sometimes. Depends upon if they feel like it or not. Sometimes, they don't. If they do, turnaround time is 3 days.

This is exactly like saying "I LIKE WINDOWS 3.1!" today. You're simply not paying attention to the facts.

Even if you are running a 486, theres no point. Linux is free (or not, if you want to purchase a pre-sorted easy to configure distribution). Faster, more reliable, customizable, more compatable.

There is no downside to using Linux over Windows 3.1, really. Theres no downside to using vBulletin over EZboard, really.

imported_Firebird1
Jan 18th, 2002, 05:00:13 PM
Oh, I don't know....

They have implemented a pay service...

They have, are, or will delete a large number of boards to free up disk space.

They will <a href=http://login.ezboard.com/fezboardfrm40.showMessage?topicID=8647.topic> do a Global Account cleanup Next...</a>

So whats next for Ezboard...

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2002, 05:04:37 PM
Annexing the Sudetenland, I think.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 05:08:32 PM
Bull. PHPbb is a much better piece of software than ezboard, and its also free.
Heres a thought, try reading what I said. Did I say it is better than any other? No. I said one of ITS good points.

They get rid of unused accounts. Does it matter if they dump them? Just reregister if you need the dead account.

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2002, 05:13:49 PM
Yes...if they give another 24 hour blitzkrieg.

Seriously that is ****ed up. I have multiple accounts, and with a time window that small...I likely won't be able to save all mine. THEN, others can register and steal my account...and then, even if I do get my account back, I have to wait three damn days or more before EZnazis validate my registration.

I'm sick of their ****.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 06:05:30 PM
Oh aye, that is too short. For boards, it's not as bad, due to it being many people-involved. However, for accounts, it depends on the person. week or two, maybe a month, is far better.

The idea itself is fine by me. How long has Ezboard been around? Three years? More?(I honestly have no idea btw). There'd be a lot of accounts that could be removed, and noone would notice. They said nearly 50% of boards are inactive. The ammount Ive seen with four of five old posts is a lot. Removing them, does everyone a favour for speed. Personally, I'd have gone for a year on inactiveness, but that's just me

Milivikal k'Vik
Jan 18th, 2002, 06:23:34 PM
When another free product does everything (phpbb) better than the other free product (ezboard), and has none of the weaknesses, there are no strong points.

EZboard has no strong points.

Stop supporting trash Fett. Its like saying a Tek 9 is a valid alternative to an MP5.

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2002, 06:26:51 PM
ROFL @ Tek 9

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 06:32:28 PM
When another free product does everything (phpbb) better than the other free product (ezboard), and has none of the weaknesses, there are no strong points.

Is phpbb on a mass system where one account goes on all, a la Ezboard? I do not know, but if it does not, then it does have a weakness, and your entire post is deemed invalid by your pointless superboard going on.

Also, from what I can gather, you need a webhost for it. To get a decent web host for a lot of people, you need money. SUddenly, it aint free bucko

Stop supporting trash Fett
Stop trashing someone elses opinion

Milivikal k'Vik
Jan 18th, 2002, 07:52:01 PM
Stop ignoring the facts.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2002, 07:58:52 PM
Ooh, someones argument isn't holding up, resorting to claiming I ignore the facts, when you didnt actually attempt to answer any of my comments and facts :)

Go learn about facts and opinions btw, it's a fun read :)

Nupraptor
Jan 18th, 2002, 10:01:04 PM
Or perhaps we weren't all around thenThe thread was at the top of several forums for over 3 months. It had people from not only the Roleplaying forums posting in it, but people from the Replica Props as well. It even had Vanchau himself from Ezboard posting in it. If you missed it, that's quite frankly not our fault. But the people who actively participated in the thread were enthusiastic about moving.
posts are so dripping with sarcasm that they can almost put an eye outIf you hadn't gathered by now, I'm a very sarcastic person. I make no secret of this. But just because my arrows are laced with poison doesn't mean that they don't have a point.

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 19th, 2002, 12:17:11 AM
The thread was at the top of several forums for over 3 months. It had people from not only the Roleplaying forums posting in it, but people from the Replica Props as well. It even had Vanchau himself from Ezboard posting in it. If you missed it, that's quite frankly not our fault. But the people who actively participated in the thread were enthusiastic about moving.

Read it again...maybe we weren't all around now. As in we did not roleplay at that time. Get it? Ok, good.

Nupraptor
Jan 19th, 2002, 12:22:15 AM
I read it just fine. As I said: If you weren't around, that's too bad. But the people who participated in the thread were enthusiastic about leaving ezboard.

Get it? =P