PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Warfare

Khan Surak
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:17:33 PM
Recently I have been reading several books on Chemical and Biological warfare and the issues involved. Most of the combined arms warfare in SWFans, as I have seen it, has been secluded to fleet battles and small-force spec op missions. If we introduced chemical and biological weapons, it would diversify the military rpg. I have read most of the SW books, and I do not recall many instances of bio/chem warfare. A couple, I think, in NJO with the Vong. Several of you may have moral issues on this type of thing, but you probably have moral issues against war and conflict as well and take a look around. Conflict everywhere. I'm not attempting to state this would change everything, it would just intoduce a new aspect or warfare into our forums and, I think, increase R&D as will as intoduce new rp ideas. I hope this doesn't sound like an Infomercial, it's just that I know at least a few of you will protest this.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:37:58 PM
The only chemical warfare I want to see or be part of is the FORCE FART.

Khan Surak
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:49:20 PM
Ah, yes. I remeber about a year ago in the newspapers:

"FORCE FART INFLAMES COUNTRYSIDE, JEDI KNIGHTS VOW NEVER TO EAT BEANS AGAIN"

Anyway, I'd like everyone's opinion on this.

crono katon
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:49:37 PM
Some one should make a jedi that farts and nocks out rooms or people:)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:51:29 PM
Ahem.

Already done :)

Khan Surak
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:56:30 PM
:lol

I can imagine Stryder lighting his.. anyway, back on subject.

The weapons, either bio or chem, would have to be researched first, and that could make for some interesting rps. Something goes wrong, then a the chem lab explodes, contaminating a three mile radius on Coruscant with mustard agents. Could be interesting, I think.

Darth Viscera
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:12:51 AM
25mg Chlorpheniramine maleate
175mg Zoloft

Take that daily, or concentrate the dosage and vaporize and introduce it that way to the "patient", and they will be lethargic as a Hutt all the damn live long day. Their nasal passages may be ultra-clear for 4 hours, but *shrug*, no one's perfect. They won't be awake to notice that they can smell the clear summer breeze. And while they're collapsed, unconscious and the like, they can be bombed and lasered.

Khan Surak
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:30:09 AM
Or... you could poke them with a stick.

Anyway, there's almost a limitless number of options one could pursue in either of these fields. And you don't have to be a scientific genius like me :D .

Moltar
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:26:23 AM
What, no after mint?

Sanis Prent
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:46:23 AM
isn't there a rule against such chemical and biological weapons in RP?

Darth Viscera
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:03:12 AM
yep, there sure is.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:18:55 AM
There is no such rule.

The only reason we havent seen this before is that attacks of such nature would tend to not be within fair play and / or be seen as a God Mode or having a God Mode complex, I think.

I'm sure dropping a chemical bomb on Coruscant and wiping it out, while legal would seriously piss people off.

Sanis Prent
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:32:24 AM
no, I believe they were explicitly deemed illegal in RP rules.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:37:50 AM
No, they're not banned. They are frowned on, not banned.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:40:42 AM
Straight from the RP FAQ:

* Weapons - any weapons seen in the movies (lightsabers, blasters etc.) are welcome. Nukes, biological attacks and things of that nature are not. Chemical attacks also dont work on Sith or Jedi of a certain level and above. Sabers can only be stopped by Cortoris material, and even then just shut down.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:48:35 AM
Ah, okay.

*Thinks.... that seems to be some I could have written a long time ago. Slaps head on brick wall for forgetting*

TheHolo.Net
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:52:31 AM
It does only say 'not welcome', it does not say not allowed, so your first assesment was pretty much correct....frowned on.

I should have looked it up in the FAQ earlier when Khan first inquired about it via PM and I instead directed him to post.

Khan Surak
Jan 16th, 2002, 03:42:24 PM
hm, well then. I just remembered the Krytos Virus, so they were in use before NJO. So, to clarify, a group can pursue bio/chem warfare and no one can stop them OOC?

Admiral Lebron
Jan 16th, 2002, 03:53:21 PM
Depends I guess. But you realize, you drop a chem. bomb on a planet owned by a powerful faction, be ready to run. Cause I'm sure the NR would be more pissed at you then TGE.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2002, 04:30:54 PM
You would probably have to run from your fellow RP'ers cause there might be pitchforks and torches and dusk.

When the rules were written, the intention (did some remembering back into the deep depths of time when the rules were written) was to make it clear that weapons of mass destruction were simply not welccome, ie dont. This was to stop megomaniacs that we had at the time woho did drop a nuc or two, resulting in much screaming and anger all round.

While the rules are not many and the three rules That Must Not Be Broken are simple and clear, if the FAQ advises against doing something, it's there for a reason and prior experience.

Attacks by chemical and biological means were and I still believe are against the spirit of Roleplay and should be avoided, especially say a chemical attack that is fatal and fast.

If you intend to follow this course, then maybe clearing it with admins and opponents first is a good idea, just to make sure there wont be an OOC storm.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 16th, 2002, 05:13:30 PM
I dont mean to nit pick, but cortosis isnt the only thing that can stop a lightsaber.

Cant Mandalorian Iron. I mean it can combat it and just be scratched away.

Sanis Prent
Jan 16th, 2002, 05:26:24 PM
Yes, the precedent for that ruling lay in disallowing weapons of mass destruction. So on a small-scale usage, you *might* get away with it...but thats even case-by-case.

Zara Drecker
Jan 16th, 2002, 05:27:15 PM
I have seen nowhere where this "Iron" is supposed to be able to do this. Link?

Zasz Grimm
Jan 16th, 2002, 05:57:08 PM
I have no link, It's just in books in stuff that I have seen.

They used their staffs to combat the Jedi in the clone wars...

I will search, though.

Khan Surak
Jan 16th, 2002, 06:22:43 PM
Yes.. I anticipated reactions like this. That's why I'm here, Marcus, to make sure you schmu- er... fellow roleplayers don't have any huge contradictions on this matter.

Nukes are completely out of the question for any SW rpg, I concur. To adress your concern on using chem and bio weapons as weapons of mass destruction, I agree. We shouldn't, and I will see to it that all under my charge will not either. The kind of thing I'm talking about is conventional. On a battlefield, or in space. The means one uses to achieve tactical superiority on a battlefield or space with chemical or biological means is entirely up to them. Be it mines, poisonous arrows, or just releasing 500 infected zebras onto the enemy is your decision. If we do agree to let Chem/Bio weapons be utilized, we would need to come up with a set of rules for them. If need be, I will submit drafts so you guys don't have to do all the work. :D Tell me your major concerns, and comission me to do the paperwork, and I'll get one out to you asap. Of course, this is only if you agree to let me, and anything I write can be changed by you oh-so wonderful Star Warsians.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2002, 06:47:28 PM
The only rule needed is simply an application of Common Sense and more importantly, fair play. That is what most roleplayers want here I think. I certainly do.

Just discuss with an admin will probably all that is needed in the end.

Moltar
Jan 17th, 2002, 01:04:09 AM
500 infected zebras
Try Moose instead of Zebras!

They have a mean bite...

Khan Surak
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:02:26 PM
Well, I'd like to make sure no one will bite my head off. But, it seems no one else is interested in this and therefore doesn't care, so I'll go ahead. Thanks for your ah... comments on this my fellow roleplayers. :D