72.7%
$85.0
27.3%

Monsters, Inc. Dis. $286.8
$245.3
85.5%
$41.5
14.5%

Harry Potter is noted to have actually done 850 million world wide and still travelling well. Estimates for Intl take is somewhere in the 580 million mark, althought that could prove a touch low. Generally, Potter is about or has beaten Pantom Menace in every market bar the USA. It is llikely to finish as the second highest grossing Intl movie of all time. It could end up No 2 all time for the world. It still needs 75 odd million to do this. As it is doing well over 20 million a week worldwide, I believe this is very likely.

Lord Of The Rings seems to be lower, but it has not opened in some big markets. It has matched or beaten Potter in every market so far and in some has performed like no other movie ever. In Australia, it now has every speed record in the first month, it has the largest single day ever and opening. If Intl Potter is estimates to make 580 million, then it would be fair to think that with LOTR doing bigger buisness so far, it could go further. Possibly 600 million? With Japan not opening till March 2002, it will be sometime before we know for sure.

Interestingly, Pearl Harbour did well overseas.

And Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park III are remarkably similar across the board.

Now, switching to the Australian summary.....

Oceans 11 finally knocked LOTR's out of first spot, doing 5.1 million. Next was LOTR with 3.3 million. Harry Potter is still doing well with 1.3 million and is now No 4 all time Aust, just 1 million behind TPM. Estimates show Potter will end up at 42 million, 3rd all time.

LOTR however is now at 30.3 million and a staggering 4 weeks ahead of the pace of Phantom Menace! There has not been a movie that has gone as hard as LOTR has and it is anyone's guess what the final take will be. It WILL beat Potter and it could challenge the No 2 film, Crocodile Dundee which has 47 million.

There is a saying running around in Australia right now - "If you weren't fighting fires, you were queueing to see FOTR". Absolutly true.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2002, 09:30:19 AM
Those are very impressive numbers for both HP and FOTR. Have you been able to find any info on Aussie screen counts for TPM, HP, and FOTR?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2002, 04:36:48 PM
Yes, about 400 for TPM at it's maximum, LOTR is 407, HP is 427

Champion of the Force
Jan 15th, 2002, 05:18:43 PM
I don't know where DT gets his info from, but those who are interested in checking out Australian boxoffice and the like can check out this site:

http://www.urbancinefile.com

Just click on the Boxoffice link in the menu. :)

Darth23
Jan 15th, 2002, 05:53:56 PM
Ocean's 11 beat FOTR in OZ last weekend FOTR down 40%?

How come we haven't heard this until now?

Champion of the Force
Jan 15th, 2002, 06:51:57 PM
How come we haven't heard this until now?
Ocean's 11 has only just been released down under. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2002, 08:36:25 PM
I think we are finally seeing the growth of the box office overseas. It used to be that the studios didn't care about oversea money because they didn't make that much, now most movies make 2x overseas then they do in the US, I think its becasue more theaters are starting to open overseas increasing accessability for people to see movies. It really shouldn't surprise people either there are only 250 million in the US vs 6 billion in the world and while certain parts of the world (central Africa, certain asian countries like Bangladesh and the Middle East) movies won't make any money in other parts of the world especially Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and a few others the Movies do just as well and in some cases better than in the US. This trend will probably continue I think as more theaters begin to open, especially the newer ones that are now every where in the US.

Darth23
Jan 15th, 2002, 10:54:25 PM
"Ocean's 11 has only just been released down under. "

Still, I was under the impression that FOTR qwas totally blowing everything away oerseas - esp. in OZ, but it was onyl number 1 for 3 weeks there. It had a longer number one streak in the US.

I was there was a decent international BO site. Something with the top 40-50 countries maybe? (liek 90 percent of the overall overseas business, I don't know how many countries that would be.

A site with the top 30 or 50 all time movies for each of those countries, plus a weekly BO chart - archived.

Iis that too much to ask for?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2002, 11:16:33 PM
Google, patience and time plus boxofficemojo.com are your best friends for Intl results.

Darth23
Jan 16th, 2002, 10:36:15 AM
I want everythign at one site. BO mojo is okay, but every site that has international BO data has realyl spotty and inconsistent info. Like you'll get a ist of the all time top 5 movies in Denmark, but not in France. Or last years results for one country, but nothing from this year.

Plus there's no background info. The thing I'd liek to know the most is which counties other than the US have the highest BO numbers. I know the UK, Japan and several others are up there, but I have no I idea what ti actually means, in context, when I see that Harry Potter made 2 million in South Korea, or Shrek opened in Hungary with $500,000.

The weekly Variety/Reuters posts don't really help either. It seems obvious to me that they write the articles by looking at some chart, or a series of charts, and then writing a few 'interesting' paragraphs about the weeks results, but then they don't even show the charts! Also, there's no consistency wek to week: not in which countries are convered, which movies are mentioned, whether or not any comparisons are made to all time BO leaders in those countries, or even how the same movies performed the week before.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2002, 04:19:29 PM
Then how about we make one then, cause what you want does not exist

Darth23
Jan 16th, 2002, 04:26:26 PM
Yeah, well the biggest problem it seems to me is getting accurate info for the site - on a regular basis - for like 20-50 countries.

I know it doesn't exist, that's why I'm complaining that it doesn't exist. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 21st, 2002, 07:42:27 PM
1 2 OCEAN`S ELEVEN [286 / $11,186 ] 3,199,254 -41% 11,040,366
2 5 FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING [403 / $5,336 ] 2,150,499 -36% 34,406,128
3 5 MONSTERS INC. [357 / $4,559 ] 1,627,538 -30% 20,662,518
4 1 SERENDIPITY [185 / $6,489 ] 1,200,378 N/A 1,204,859
5 8 HARRY POTTER & PHILOSOPHER`S STONE [353 / $2,452 ] 865,633 -32% 38,800,718
6 4 SHALLOW HAL [171 / $4,248 ] 726,402 -36% 7,075,390
7 2 ONE, THE [149 / $4,737 ] 705,844 -55% 2,956,874
8 1 JEEPERS CREEPERS [136 / $5,053 ] 687,248 N/A 687,388
9 3 RAT RACE [178 / $2,191 ] 390,029 -37% 3,437,121
10 5 AMELIE [51 / $7,593 ] 387,223 3% 3,072,266

Some Aussie Box Office from last weekend. Points of interest is that Harry Potter is now ahead of TPM and FOTR will most likely overtake Potter in the next two weeks.

Darth23
Jan 21st, 2002, 07:59:52 PM
... and what place is TPM in All time in Austrailia?

International Numbers as of 1/17 - according to BoxOfficeMojo:

1 Harry Potter WB $854.3
3 The Lord of the Rings NL $534.9
2 Shrek DW $478.7
4 Pearl Harbor Dis. $450.5
5 The Mummy Returns Uni. $430.0

Looks like HP has picked up 10 million bucks from last time (last Thursday?

Anyway, it looks like BOmojo does fairly regular updates, so I'll try to post them here.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 21st, 2002, 08:19:49 PM
boxofficeguru stated in his weekly report that Potter was at 869 million. Intl numbers can be funny to work out, but generally, something I have seen is that the higher number generally is correct and eventually filters through to other sites.

We really should work on a Intl Box Office site, because other sites just dont quite do it right.

To answer your question, TPM was at No. 3 all time, on about 37 million. It is now No .4.

No. 2 is Crocodile Dundee, with 47 million. No 1 is Ttianic with 57 million.

School holidays are nearly over in Australia, so the rate of advances by Potter will just about stop. LOTR will also slow down, but still it will be awfully close to Potter by next week.

Darth23
Jan 21st, 2002, 10:49:21 PM
BOGuru's International Chart still says 844 for Harry Potter, as of 1/15.

He lists 869 in his weekend update, but he doesn't put a date with that. (grrrrr)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:01:09 AM
Exactly. See how confusing it can be? I have no doubt 869 is the correct number right now tho.

I;'ve been doing some studying of the Intl numbers out of interest for what FOTR is doing and I can say that it is as hard as herding cats at times. Sometimes you have to go looking for local B.O. sites and then work it out for youself.

The main ones to research are Japan, Australia, UK, France. Especially Japan, given it's market size.

JonathanLB
Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:17:46 AM
I do not know if I am correct to assume this, but I think one reason that films keep making such awesome advances in international markets is because of the growing number of theaters in many of these countries and an expanding movie market.

Sure, Japan, the U.S., the U.K., and Australia are all fairly well developed nations with plenty of theaters (I think), but many of the other countries perhaps are growing at an extremely rapid rate in terms of new theaters and moviegoing. I am not positive about that, but it would be interesting if Variety did a report saying how much yearly attendance rose in some of these smaller nations. Perhaps it is even as high as 50 to 100% per year, who knows. It was just 10% (gross, not admissions) last year in the U.S. So here, it's not that big of a deal. There is VERY LITTLE turbulence in our charts, which is the way it shoud be. Any country with such vastly changing top ten all-time lists is just obviously not a developed movie-going nation. Film lists simply are not meant to change that much just as any all time records are not supposed to fall commonly; they are supposed to be impressive and hard to defeat. Records typically become more impressive as time passes.

If you look at our box office top ten chart (all time), there isn't a huge amount of movement there. There is a little jockeying for position because of the Star Wars films being re-released and with E.T. coming back that might occur again, but the basic films are not that constantly changing.

As for #1, it was ANH for five years, a long time, then E.T. for 15 years, a really, really long time, and then it was ANH again for a year, Titanic for 5 years now. So there has been a lot more turbulence in that little period. In 18 months, you had three separate films occupy #1 (E.T., ANH, then Titanic), but since then it has and will remain very steady I believe.

Although I am ever hopeful and optimistic, I think Titanic will hold first for at least five more years or more. Unless a Star Wars film beats it, no other movie has the strength barring another amazing phenomenon and like huge natural disasters, those do not occur all that often. The last time you had something like Titanic was 15 years before it with E.T. That is a long frickin' time. Before that, it was ANH, still 5 years earlier. These types of things just do not occur much (thankfully, really).

Internationally, the Star Wars films have not been able to generate a very large percent of their gross revenues. They are still confined mainly to the English-speaking world (and Japan), which hurts obviously. Even though Star Wars is very much a worldwide phenomenon, it's harder for the movies to be phenomenons in every country, just "big blockbusters," which is obviously not all that horrid ;)

I do think that TPM introduced many international audiences to the Star Wars Saga (specifically Russia, after their government had at one point called SW "capitalist propaganda). I would not be all that surprised whatsoever to see AOTC clear $1.2 billion worldwide...

Darth23
Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:38:28 PM
"Exactly. See how confusing it can be? I have no doubt 869 is the correct number right now tho. "

I'm sure the number is right - I just want to have some DATES. I supposed to could track everything and save it, week after week - but it's a pain going to a site and not being able to see the same data from the previous week.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:45:08 PM
To be honest Darth23, the only way your going to get that is build it with the help of a few people.

Seems there is a need here that is missing. Anybody else want to think about this?

Darth23
Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:54:58 PM
Only if we can make money off of it. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:57:18 PM
Do it right and we could.

JonathanLB
Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:57:43 AM
Has to be profitable. That's just what I think about when developing a new site.

I can help with the economics of that type of thing if you guys want to start a site like that. I just don't know if there is enough interest in the subject to make it a winner.

I think an ultimate box office site that just improved upon everything at every other site would be quite nice, though. Could be profitable after a while definitely.

I have heard a bunch of people say that movie Websites are not profitable, but I absolutely disagree with that. I think if they are done right, they can be massive revenue machines.

In fact, I am thinking about re-developing my movie site and perhaps spending some money on growing the site a bit. I had $1,000 I was going to use to buy more newsletter subscribers for my humor Website, but the 60,000 new subscribers I just got recently have not paid off as well as I had hoped. Why? Well, there is a lot of saturation in the business and my humor site, to be honest, does not stand above the rest as truly original or unique (because it isn't). I make good money on that site and I'm still happy with it. You know, $1,500 in profit per month is decent. It's nothing to go nuts over but, uh, whatever. It's a start.

I think with a movie review Website like I wanted to have I could really do well after a few years maybe. It has just been getting it off the ground. If anyone visited back in September 2000, I was doing a great job then and even had a few of our early reviews posted on Rotten-Tomatoes.com. But when it came down to it, the 20 hours per week that site cost me (with no income at all) just was too much. So that's why it failed to work. I planned a relaunch at the end of last year too, but then I realized that my time might be spread too thin.

As some of you may or may not know, on Tuesday, January 22, I withdrew myself from Loyola Marymount University. I am not a college student anymore, at least for the next nine months. I was absolutely depressed and unhappy here and therefore it was not worth my money or continued suffering. So, the next nine months are mine to pursue personal interests and projects. I certainly don't intend to spend them poorly.

I may look to relaunch my movie site now that I am going to have a lot of time. I believe that with a movie review site, you are likely to find a number of people who often agree with your reviews and therefore you can build a loyal audience simply because your site is something different, unique, and interesting. I may try this one out again, but instead of hoping for the traffic to come (the whole "If you build it, they will come" didn't work! Haha, nor does it ever), I'm going to buy a subscriber list of 50,000 or more I think.

I may very well add a box office area to this Website too, might be a good idea.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:56:50 AM
Buy a subscriber list?

:huh

Can you explain that one to me?

Well the idea for an Intl site needs to have a fairly good database on the backend and have the code produce the reports required as HTML. Graphs, charts, analysis can be done automatically

Would need a really good search engine and extensive BO info from all countries.

Wuold need a few people to get the info to update.

Also has a weblog style forum for discussions.

Be a lot of work tho.

JonathanLB
Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:01:42 AM
I took the short cut in saying "buy a subscriber list" because you do not actually buy e-mail addresses directly, or it is not what it sounds anyway.

Through a process called "co-registration," or usually just called co-regs, you can grow a newsletter or e-zine extremely quickly, if you have the money to spend.

With humor sites especially (and this is where the majority of co-reg swapping occurs), there are TAF forms (TAF = "Tell-A-Friend") that allow the visitors to send a funny joke or picture link to their friends by entering their e-mail addresses. Well, at the bottom of the form just above where they click "Send to friends" or whatever it may say, there are about ten boxes generally and each one has a different message. Something like, "Yes, I want Amazon.com to send me updates on new DVDs as they are released," and if someone using this TAF form checks that box, they are now subscribed to Amazon.com's newsletter, for instance. Amazon pays for this at varying rates depending on the type of box. If the box was pre-checked, which is the most common type of co-reg, it is generally 2.5 cents as an industry standard. In truth, though, I would never pay 2.5 cents. I pay 2 cents per co-reg and sometimes less when buying in bulk, like 10,000 to 20,000 at once.

The idea here is that if the box is pre-checked, many people are going to unknowingly be surprised to these newsletters, but a certain number of them will not unsubscribe and will actually end up visiting your site to check it out and, thus, they are now new subscribers. It's a numbers game. If you buy 20,000, maybe you hope that 4,000 of those e-mail addresses turn out to be regular readers, if you are very lucky. Maybe only a few thousand really are regulars, but you'll still probably keep 15 to 17 thousand of those subscribed and a few will read what you send them occassionally.

An unchecked co-reg box can run anywhere from 10 to 20 cents each because you know then that the e-mail address is someone who actually without a doubt wants to receive that e-mail because they checked the box themselves. They took an action to indicate interest, instead of just being subscribed perhaps without noticing the box was checked.

However, because it still was checked, the process is totally legal and e-mail is thus subscribed.

The reason I do not buy unchecked co-reg boxes is because I worry that whoever I am dealing with could just pre-check that box while I am sleeping or whatever and I would never know the difference between 10,000 e-mail addresses of people who really wanted to be subscribed and 10,000 who may or may not have wanted to be part of the list. So that risk is just too great and that's why very few people actually buy unchecked boxes.

I traded my site, JLH-Online.com, for 60,000 co-regs. I don't know if the deal was actually good in retrospect considering that the quality of co-regs has been lousy lately. Too many people are part of 10 humor newsletters and that means that not enough are really looking at them all. Regardless, the JLH site was just annoying me. It made a puny $50 to $100 per month in profit and whatever these 60,000 e-mails have done, it is easily better than that, LOL. At least a few hundred extra per month.

My list right now is at 193,000 e-mail addresses. I bought 4,000 more the other day, though, so that should help a bit more.

Instead of paying to buy 60,000 more e-mail addresses for the humor list, I may just buy them for my new movie site and see if I can make money on it. It could take a long time to grow, but at this point I know without any shadow of a doubt that for NINE months I can run my site because I have the time for that long. So, I am going to go out on a limb (to use a cliche) and bet that in nine months, the site will be making me enough money and showing enough potential so that I will want to make time for it even beyond that.

First, though, I don't like my movie site. It's too... blah. Generic. It needs more originality and it must be more visually appealing. Although I may want to avoid using any copyrighted images because you never know when that can end up being a major issue, especially when I start selling my movie-related books on that site and some film company comes after me for using their pictures for personal profit (regardless of whether the pictures made any difference or not, hehe).

So, uh, yeah that whole co-reg thing I explained, I didn't know any of that either before I took over this humor Website. But I had to learn real fast because it is pretty much an essential part of the business.

My annoyance right now is with the rogue Webmasters who are going around building humor sites and re-selling them at high prices, like the one I bought basically but much worse (worse as in now they are not even funning the sites for a year, they are building and selling immediately). Even I could probably pull that one off, but it is hurting all of the humor sites in existence currently. Only the best ones are really not affected that much, but I don't have any original content on my site so that doesn't exactly make it stand above the rest. :\

I know at least with a movie site that I can make it something unique. But with a humor site, I'm not able to think of one brand new joke per day nor am I able to take two funny pictures daily. It's simply not possible right now or maybe ever. Movies, now that is something I can do.

In retrospect, I wish I had just asked my dad to spot me $5,000 to develop my movie site. It could have been extremely competitive with that much starting capital, no question about it. With $1,000, even, I think I can make it work...

That's kinda petty cash anyway really, or at least it's not going to break the bank.

Don't get me wrong, the humor site is ok ;) I still think I'm going to be able to boost revenue to $3,000 monthly by March...

Boy is February going to suck, though, missing three days there! Ugg.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 29th, 2002, 12:06:49 AM
I dont know whats going on, but the Intl B.O results are damn scarce this week.

Darth23
Jan 29th, 2002, 02:16:53 AM
I rest my case.

:p :p :p

Darth23
Jan 29th, 2002, 04:34:15 AM
Thsi from Variety/Yahoo:

Fantasy duo ``The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring'' and ``Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' are far from done. New Line's ``Rings'' rang up an estimated $23 million, hoisting its total to $364.3 million. Among the drivers are Italy's $11.3 million and Taiwan's $3.7 million, both in 10 days. (The North American total is $258.5 million.)

WB's ``Harry Potter'' raked in about $9.7 million, sending its foreign total to a dizzying $578.6 million. Japan's $140.8 million is the top earner, followed by Blighty's $89 million, Germany's $65.1 million, France's $43.3 million and Italy's $25.4 million. (The North American total is $311.6 million.)

So for 1/29:

Harry Potter - 311.6 Domestic - 578.6 International - 890 Worldwide

LOTR - FOTR - 258.5 Domestic - 364.3 International - 622.8 Worldwide

HP made 9 million internationally this week [WEEKEND?] - the question is, how fast will it fade? Can it make it to 925 million worldwide?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 29th, 2002, 05:05:47 AM
Those estimates are low. Australia has no Box office data availibe for last week that I can get from the usual good sources and even boxofficemojo is well behind for some reason. I have no idea why data is late this week.

Given Potter is still No 1 or close to the top in a lot of countires, yes it will beat 925 million.

And then most liekly egets skewered by a Ringwraith :p

Darth23
Jan 29th, 2002, 06:34:40 AM
Estimates?

Since when are the Variety/Reuters international reports estimates?

"Given Potter is still No 1 or close to the top in a lot of countires, yes it will beat 925 million. "

Oh really? Which countries, and how long has it been playing there? And how much is it making in those countries every week?

Darth23
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:02:57 AM
From Box Office Mojo -

Harry Potter - International Numbers:
Country - rank - gross - (drop if available) - Week - date of info:

Japan - 1 - $3.2 million (-44%) - week 8 (1/24)
Hong Kong - 1 - $549,000 - week 2 (1/17)
Germany - 3 - $1.7 million (-46%) - week 8
Netherlands - 3 - $393,000 (-25%) - week 9 (1/23)
Hungary - 3 - $56,000 - week 6 (1/23)
UK - 4 - 1.1 million - week 10 (1/20)
France - 4 - $1.4 million (-26%) - week 7 (1/22)
Spain - 4 - $821,000 (-46%) - week 7 (1/17)
Finland - 4 - $74,000 - week 9 (1/17)
Austrailia - 5 - $805,000 - week 8 (1/23)
New Zealand - 5 - $136,000 - week 8 (1/23)
Taiwan - 5 - $17,000 - 66 days (1/20)
Mexico - 6 - $542,000 - week 7 (1/17)
South Afirica - 6 - $81,000 - week 7 (1/17)
Brazil - 7 - $300,000 - week 8 (1/17)
Austria - 7 - $59,000 - week 9 (1/20)
Italy - 8 - $350,000 (-55%) - week 7 (1/24)

Clearly Japan and the UK are HP's best bet. But if it really did make $9 millon last week (weekend?) then it's slowing down a good deal, it's pretty much opened in every country, in most of the big countries it's been playing for more than 6 weeks.

What does that mean for the future international performance?

Who knows? :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:04:53 AM
Japan, second biggest market over all market - No 1 and nothing close

UK - No 4

Aust No 4

Aust it made 2 -3 million (trend guessing), UK 3 million (trend guessing), Japan 7 million (or more)

It ha still a few good weeks left, especially Japan. There is no doubt it will make 25 million in Japan alone or more.

It is clearly an estimate, cause countries are missing from the regular places. Austalia is definantly missing and so is the UK by the looks of it.

Now if I go looking, I could find HP is No 2 or 3,4 ,5 in a few more places. Now, if HP was doing 2 - 3 million in total per week, I would say slim chance. But it is not. It is making 10 million a week right now and I dont see that falling too far off next week. Harry Potter will beat TPM and I will bet on it. Potter still made 2 million in the USA last week as well.

Edit - Figures you listed are weekend only. And look how many are NOT up to date

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:17:22 AM
BINGO, Aussie numbers updated 10 minutes ago!!!

1 3 OCEAN`S ELEVEN [284 / $11,265 ] 3,199,325 n/a 15,966,684
2 6 FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING [386 / $6,441 ] 2,486,245 n/a 38,258,052
3 1 SPY GAME [219 / $11,164 ] 2,444,888 n/a 2,467,727
4 6 MONSTERS INC. [357 / $4,528 ] 1,616,504 n/a 23,656,630
5 2 SERENDIPITY [186 / $6,070 ] 1,129,020 n/a 3,085,437
6 1 JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK [100 / $9,250 ] 925,015 n/a 928,295
7 9 HARRY POTTER & PHILOSOPHER`S STONE [318 / $2,852 ] 906,866 n/a 40,425,618
8 5 SHALLOW HAL [177 / $4,137 ] 732,280 n/a 8,308,129
9 6 AMELIE [52 / $12,111 ] 629,794 n/a 3,874,924
10 3 ONE, THE [142 / $3,618 ] 513,826 n/a 3,851,070

Hey, what do you know. LOTR has beaten TPM in Australia and still hooting along. It will be helped in it's quest to defeat Potter by me when I see it twice more this week :p

See, told you estimates only Reuters was - actually, it sounds more like the weekend only figure.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:24:41 AM
http://www2.filmweb.no/boxoffice/

A Norway link, provided by our favorite green muppet :)

Darth23
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:03:28 AM
"Hey, what do you know. LOTR has beaten TPM in Australia and still hooting along."

TPM's not even number 1 on OZ.

It has an advantage cause it was (almost) shot in Australia ;)

If HP keep droping 44% a week in Japan it won't last much longer. Maybe FRANCE is it's best bet.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:29:46 PM
Finally, we see some Intl sites updating. Late, but updating finally. Figures you quotes are indeed Estimates and are weekend only.

NOW...... last estimate For HP was 563 million world wide a week ago. This weeks estimate is 576 million. There is still a handful of markets for HP to open in.

Last week FOTR 337, this week 364.

Darth23
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:12:30 PM
Aren't those the numbers I posted from the Variety article, what you said were low?

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:36:07 AM
Have a look a this table to show why the numbers are low. This is the latest numbers, with some other bits and pieces thrown in, like latest dates availible, totals, etc. The fact is, you have to wait about 2 weeks after any weekend to get half accurate numbers. And why saying any number is right is bloody difficult. The fact is, the Variety number MUST be low.

EDIT : WHOA. It hated that, lets try a zip file.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:39:30 AM
Lets try this.... This is a HTML document, readable in IE. I dont care about Netscape :P

Darth23
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:42:10 AM
"The fact is, you have to wait about 2 weeks after any weekend to get half accurate numbers. And why saying any number is right is bloody difficult. "

So your numbers are low as well? And all the numbers that get posted right away?

:p

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:23:47 PM
Download the zip file and it will be obvious.

Darth23
Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:38:02 PM
Meesa no trustin da zip files.

;)

-------

Uh..... obvious? I see a text document with bad formatting (columns not lined up).

What am I looking for?

foxdvd
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:10:25 PM
LOTR now at 667 million...HP now at about 903 million...

Darth23
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:53:01 PM
I think we shoudl either decide to post Worldwide numbers, or International numbers (or both in the same post.)

I'm gettign a headache going back and forth with 2 different movies.:x

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 5th, 2002, 01:24:44 AM
Intl for HP = 590

FOTR = 400

Hell, how did BoxOfficeGuru update so fast???

Lets see, on estimate, 15 million for the week for HP, 37 million for FOTR.

Darth23
Feb 5th, 2002, 09:44:38 AM
590m - 578.6m = 11.4 million