PDA

View Full Version : SNL SW skit

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2002, 06:38:39 PM
Did anybody see it last night? I actually forgot it was going to be on but the force.net has on their site some of it was kind of funny, especially when they showed other cameos that are going to be in the movie.

Here is the link
http://download.theforce.net/video/SNL-ep2-nsync.rm

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2002, 08:26:46 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Hammond's GL impersonation was funny and all the N'Sync stuff was great. The little stab at Jar Jar was funny too.

Hart
Jan 13th, 2002, 09:20:50 PM
I've GOTTA download this thing :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2002, 10:13:17 PM
I know it was funny, especially the cameo bit on the Jedi council, we got funny neck guy, Alf, Mayor Mccheese, that was just hillarious, also I agree about Hammond's impersonation of Lucas is was right on the money.

darth_mcbain
Jan 14th, 2002, 09:52:39 AM
Funny - I don't usually watch SNL, and I was flipping back and forth to it last Saturday. I missed the sketch in question though - I'll check the link. From what you're saying, it sounds like it was pretty good.

BTW - like the sig Hart. Is that a JMK creation? Bravo to whoever did it.

darth_mcbain
Jan 14th, 2002, 10:26:24 AM
Just watched it - that was pretty damn funny. The first scene with N'SYNC, Jar-Jar, and the various council members were really funny. I thought the funniest was just the impression of George Lucas - he was really good.

ReaperFett
Jan 14th, 2002, 10:47:02 AM
I laughed at the council cameos (Alf rules:)), but otherwise, I really didnt find it that funny. And Lucas didnt move his hands anywhere NEAR enough! :)

Darth23
Jan 14th, 2002, 12:56:27 PM
I didn't think it was funny at all. I didn't think it was insulting to Star Wars or anything, I just didn't think it was funny. The N'sync /boy band stuff has been done dozens of times before, funnier, and the guy's Lucas impression was really good, but there wasn't anything funny about it.

They could have done a lot more. maybe a Clone band joke, or something. I dunno.

darth_mcbain
Jan 14th, 2002, 02:14:21 PM
I definitely thought the second part with N'Sync stunk - by that time in the sketch I think they had made their point and the N'Sync "musical" number was just piling it on too thick and wasn't all that funny. I did think the rest was pretty good. Maybe not up to the standards of some of the classic SNL skits, but still decent.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 14th, 2002, 03:31:57 PM
I agree I didn't care for the N'Sync musical number, the rest of it I thought was funny. One thing though I was surprised that they knew how to pronounce Count Dooko. They must have really did there homework there. Also did anybody see those toy ships passing in the window (A pod racer and a Naboo Starfighter I think) that was funny and I am not sure if it was meant to be funny.

darth_mcbain
Jan 14th, 2002, 05:11:35 PM
Interesting - so that was the correct pronunciation of Count Dooku? I had always thought it was pronounced like "doo-koo" instead of like "doh-koo" (DOH!!!) :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 14th, 2002, 07:20:56 PM
At least that is what they said on theforce.net boards (there is a thread discussing the skit too) honestly I have no clue, I was surprised they even knew who Count Dooku was.

JMK
Jan 14th, 2002, 08:25:06 PM
I got a good laugh out of Darrell Hammond's impression of Lucas, and I loved Tracy Morgan as Windu. I thought It was a well done sketch, but I agree with Reaper, I could have done without the *Nsync musical number, but the whole situation was begging to be played.

Darth23
Jan 15th, 2002, 12:10:25 AM
Tracy Morgan SUCKED.

Unless he was doing an impression of a bad actor.

And the guy doing Ewan was just doing a generic melodramatic act.

I think that was the problem with Nsync too - in order to do a decent boy band parody, you need people who can actually sing.

I Just think that for years now the SNL cast has excelled at portraying lame characters. Character's that are stupid or lame, or terrible at what they do. I don't like any of the Manufactured Pop acts, but I recognize that they CAN sing - that half the reason they were 'cast' in their roles to begin with.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2002, 09:37:46 AM
Morgan has played Jackson in other sketches before. Aside from the "You're damn right!" his impersonation is pretty weak. The guys playing N'Sync were hilaroius. They got the ridiculous "were really tough street guys" attitude perfectly. The lyrics were pretty funny too, by the time they got to "Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope!" I was in stiches. My wife saw it and she thought it was funny and she's fairly neutral on both SW and NSync. As for SNL, it goes in cycles. I think the show is doing fairly well now. Ever since Hammond and Will (?) got their Bush and Gore immpersonations down I've liked the show. It's not always great, but it's good for a few laughs. My favorite group was the Miller, Carvey, Hartman, Myers group.