PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the Clones - cancelled

Nupraptor
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:01:59 PM
No, they're still keeping the movie title. However, it appears that Lucas does listen to the fans, on occasion:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2002011638,00.html

N Sync R sunk

N SYNC have been axed from the new Star Wars movie after film fans complained.

The boys were to play Jedi knights in Episode II: Attack Of The Clones but were forced out after an internet campaign led by www.theforce.net

Star Wars fans on there bombarded movie producers with phone calls and e-mails to get the boys dropped saying they felt the band would cheapen the film.

N Sync’s angry JOEY FATONE said: “I’m making it officially known they dropped the scene because people made a big deal about it.”

Nupraptor
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:07:01 PM
Actually, it'd probably be a good idea to cross-post this in the Portal forum. :)

:: goes to do so ::

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:07:56 PM
Lucasfilm denied it

Champion of the Force
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:08:28 PM
Well whoopee-doo. They would have been in the film for 10 secs somewhere in the far off background and probably would have required 20 viewings in slow-motion to pick out.

Hey, I'm glad they're not in it anymore (the idea of having 'guest appearances' by known celebs in SW kind of cheapens it for me, even if it is only for 10 secs) however I think some fans waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overreacted on this one.

Nupraptor
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:10:54 PM
Fett: I don't know about that, but N'Sync confirmed it, so mneh.

Dave: That's basically my feelings. I don't really care, seeing as how they (hopefully) weren't slated to actually sing in the movie. But the idea of stuffing in a pop culture referance just for the sake of doing so really bothered me.

Darth Lynch
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:14:31 PM
And yet there is this...

Lucasfilm Says N'Sync Not Cut Yet Fri, Jan 11, 02 02:10:33 PM EST Apparently the boy band N'Sync hasn't been cut yet as previously thought. SciFi.Com spoke with Lucasfilm's Lynne Hale who says they're not gone yet, despite claims by Joey Fatone on the radio: Not so, said Lucasfilm spokeswoman Lynne Hale. "The N'Sync guys were shot as extras ... in a background scene," she said. "Whether that makes it into the movie or not won't be determined until [director] George [Lucas] has a final edit, and he won't have that until close to the time of release." Clones is slated for a May 16 release. Visit the link above for details. Source: TheForce.Net

Source : http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=11205

Nupraptor
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:18:50 PM
That's called "PR", last I checked. It's like being asked "Are you sleeping with another woman" and saying "I can neither confirm nor deny that accusation"... everyone knows you are.

Hart
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:19:05 PM
Well, most likely, a panning of the battle which featured a short scene of NSync was probably cut, although a shot in which they are one of thousands and too small to see with a microscope might still be left in it. That would explain both of their words. Maybe they're still in it somewhere where they're so far away that you can't see them, but the scene in which they are distinguishable was cut.

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:22:30 PM
No Nup, that is called Lucas not doing the final cut yet :)

Nupraptor
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:24:34 PM
To paraphrase: "We haven't technically done the cuts yet, so they're not technically out yet (although it may still happen)... technically."

PR.

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:33:22 PM
I bet if Lucas himself came out of his ranch wearing a Rabbit Costume, while riding a Gazzelle, leaping around shouting "They will be in!", you'd still call it PR :)

Nupraptor
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:40:31 PM
You're a strange person, Fett. Sometimes, you can see right though BS and know exactly what a person is really saying. Others, you seem to fail to read between the lines. One or the other, man! Consistency! ;)

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2002, 10:46:03 PM
You're a strange person, Fett
Says the man with the rabbit Avatar :)

But thanks for noticing, I try. It's the one thing I can suceed at :)

Live Wire
Jan 12th, 2002, 12:08:50 AM
I heared the same thing on the radio on my way home from work today. I feel bad if they do end up getting cut but I feel it would be the right thing to do. At the risk of my good reptuation here I will say I do listen to Nsync's music. But even at that the fact that they are extremely popular celebs would have made it wrong to have them in it.

It cheapens it...not that the whole midiclorian crap and having jar jar didn't cheapen episode one.

I would have felt the same way if it was anyone that famous and that hyped up. But I do feel sorry for them that they might not get to be in it. They are star wars fans just like us and I know any one of us would kill to be extras.

But hey stardom has a price.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 12th, 2002, 01:51:25 AM
Nup: hes consistently inconsistent.

ReaperFett
Jan 12th, 2002, 11:03:15 AM
CHEAPENS IT? This isn't like Cliff from Cheers or Hitler from the Last Crusade, who got names and lines. They would be in the background! If it hadn't been announced, you wouldn't even notice the three of them

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2002, 11:36:12 AM
But they are ACTORS. You know...people who's job it is to be in shows and movies.

N'Sync are soulless, wackass, no-talent, fruit-mongers who dress gay and flop around on stage like a bunch of fish out of water to some electro-sweettart quasi-music crap.

The only way they "act" is trying to "act" cool. And they suck at that, too.

So no, they shouldn't be in it. Its not going to effect the movie one way or another, but its the principle of the matter.

Next, it'll be Bill Gates. Mark my words

ReaperFett
Jan 12th, 2002, 11:42:43 AM
They wouldn't have to act, just stand and walk, or talk, or fight, or die, or whatever they're meant to be doing in the background :)

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2002, 11:44:50 AM
Or you could get an ACTOR for that.

ReaperFett
Jan 12th, 2002, 12:01:32 PM
what, and pay those high rates? Better to let three fans do the job for free! :)

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2002, 12:34:43 PM
Fett, you need lessons in economics.

The actors that would be extras are the pathetic, starving, wannabes that flock to Los Angeles to make it big, only to live their lives bussing tables and such. They aren't big names, and thus, aren't big paychecks. Not to mention that Lucas can draw from a bigger pool than your average filmmaker, so he has the bargaining advantage.

On top of that, think of the lost box office profits from putting N'Sync in there. Not saying that many would see it less or not see it at all, but there are some out there that fanatical about not having N'Sync in it. Far more than there would be teenage girls enticed to see AotC due to N'Sync being in there for 2 seconds.

So it would be cheaper to hire 5 crap actors for 1 or 2 shooting days, rather than getting N'Sync for free.

ReaperFett
Jan 12th, 2002, 12:52:06 PM
The actors that would be extras are the pathetic, starving, wannabes that flock to Los Angeles to make it big, only to live their lives bussing tables and such

And they are filming in Australia :)

On top of that, think of the lost box office profits from putting N'Sync in there. Not saying that many would see it less or not see it at all, but there are some out there that fanatical about not having N'Sync in it

I think those pathetic fanboys tickets wouldnt buy me a new mouse :)

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2002, 05:42:05 PM
Yes Fett, very correct. However, Australia isn't exactly the actor pool of the world. And notice the proximity of Skywalker Ranch to the largest actor pool in the world.

But to go ahead and swallow your bait...I'm sure there are struggling actors who work for peanuts in Sydney as well.

And your ignorance of the power of the fanboy is disturbing.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 12th, 2002, 06:07:18 PM
But to go ahead and swallow your bait...I'm sure there are struggling actors who work for peanuts in Sydney as well.

Correct. Most did get parts in EpII, which I might add, wasnt easy. Seeing a boy band just roll in and take a part past them blows.

Ash Longbaugh
Jan 12th, 2002, 06:09:24 PM
Im not ignorant to their power. I just doubt anyone can be THAT pathetic.

To be honest, if you care more about three people in the background than how they portray the romance, or Anakins fall from grace, or if Jango Fett fits in well with the film, then you should be banned from going.

And did you have a problem with Ric McCallum being in the background of TPM? Or Sam Jackson getting a part simply because Lucas found out he loved SW? What about the guy who played Wicket(forget his name, he was in the Leprechan and Willow too) getting multiple parts? Or is it just because it is who it is?

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2002, 06:50:17 PM
To be honest, if you care more about three people in the background than how they portray the romance, or Anakins fall from grace, or if Jango Fett fits in well with the film, then you should be banned from going.

Couldn't agree more. But just because I hate it, doesn't mean it isn't a very real phenomenon.

As for Rick and Sam, they're both in the moviemaking industry. Sam's a very accomplished actor to be a great understatement. The fact that he was a SW fan is a bonus really. He's not acting on fanboy powers. As for Warrick Davis (Wicket)...hell, you find me a more accomplished midget actor out there, besides Mini Me or Gimli. Not to mention, he's not the only guy who did that in TPM. Silas, who played the Republic transport pilot, Nute Gunray, and Ki Adi Mundi, also filled three roles. The fact is, when your actors have a chance to wear a latex mask, you can multi-cast them and save cash. You still get the same good actor, and don't have to hire other actors, or load up on no-talent fanboys.

ReaperFett
Jan 12th, 2002, 06:55:19 PM
Course, Wicket T Warrick :)

He hardly had to act. There was another midgets part there available. N Sync take up three roles. He took two.

And Gimli isnt a midget, its Indiana Jones' friend :)

Rama
Jan 13th, 2002, 12:33:06 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
They wouldn't have to act, just stand and walk, or talk, or fight, or die, or whatever they're meant to be doing in the background :)

Uhhhhhhhhhh Walking, Talking, fighting, Dieing.........I think that's called acting. :p

Braeden Taman
Jan 13th, 2002, 03:01:01 PM
:p