PDA

View Full Version : Palpy: Sith or Dark Jedi

Rama
Jan 8th, 2002, 04:27:58 AM
Didn't know if this went here.....or EU, you can move it if it goes in EU.

Anyways....I have a friend that swears up and down that Palpy was a Dark Jedi and not a Sith. Were as im open to the possiblity that he was once a Jedi that fell from Grace, I do think he adopted the anicent Sith teachings and what not. This is backed up but the fact that he uses "Darth" and basicly says he's Sith in EP1

I just wanna know what you think?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2002, 06:04:33 AM
The novelisation states he is definatly of the line of the Sith in the mold of Darth Bane. But I guess we all know that.

I guess Lucas calls him a Sith. So you cant really argue with that. But he's not quite the Sith as described in the EU, thats for certain.

Research time.......

darth_mcbain
Jan 8th, 2002, 09:25:16 AM
I always assumed he was a total Sith. I never thought he had any association with the Jedi, but just embraced the Dark Side and Sith teachings...

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2002, 09:32:24 AM
He is defintely a Sith, if he had been a Jedi, I think the Jedi Council would had known that and kept a better eye out on him.

Jedieb
Jan 8th, 2002, 10:22:46 AM
If the films say Palpy is a Sith, then he's a Sith. EU definitions of what a Sith is are irrelevant. The films are CANON and they will always superseed whatever is in the EU. ALWAYS. There's a big difference between an EU idea that GL or someone who works for him approves of and what GL does in a SW movie. Tales of the Jedi was a great comic strip, but there's no trace of the "always two there are, a master and an apprentice" rule. Why? Because GL hadn't created it yet. So now TOTJ becomes a convient backstory. Now you can say this is what happened BEFORE the "only 2 Sith at a time" rule. That's what you have to do with ALL the EU. You have to accomodate the EU to fit the films, not the other way around. The films say Vader, Palpy, and Maul are Siths, then they're Siths. PERIOD!

darth_mcbain
Jan 8th, 2002, 11:13:40 AM
Ahhh, you beat me to it Carr. After I thought about it a bit, I was about to say the same thing. If he had been a Jedi and had fallen from grace, the council would have known about him. Further, if they had known about his power in the Force, I think it would be highly unlikely that they would allow him to be in the position he is now in the Senate - as they would have realized what a danger he could be in such a position.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2002, 02:17:00 PM
Yeah Darth that was my thinking. I am curious about Palpatine's background, I doubt there will ever be time for it in the films, we will have to wait for an EU story after EP 3 I am guessing.

Also Jedieb you are right too about the EU, though I think they mostly avoided the matter if I am correct except for some guide book way back which called him a Jedi, maybe we can just say that was Imperial propaganda or treat as a rumor or something like that.

Doc Milo
Jan 8th, 2002, 03:03:50 PM
I don't think you can use the "Jedi that fell from Grace" is only a Dark Jedi definition. Vader was a Jedi that fell from Grace, but the script for ANH clearly states that Darth Vader is a Dark Lord of the Sith. So it doesn't matter if they were Jedi or not, they are Sith regardless.

Also, the movies don't differentiate, as of yet, between a Sith and a Dark Jedi. In fact, there is no such thing as a Dark Jedi in the movies. They did refer to Maul as a "Dark Warrior" before they knew he was definitely a Sith (Windu does this) but the term Dark Jedi doesn't yet exist in the realm of the movies -- and because of that, I don't think the term Dark Jedi can refer to any movie character.

JMK
Jan 8th, 2002, 04:24:26 PM
I concur. Ring the bell. :lol

Hart
Jan 10th, 2002, 11:12:45 AM
There were two Sith. Palpy and Maul. It wouldn't make sense for the padawan to be a Sith and the master not to be.

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2002, 01:42:22 PM
LOL JMK!
Doc has a great point. Hopefully AOTC characters like Count Dooku will shed some more light on the whole Dark Jedi/Sith issue. There's tons of Eu material, but the movies haven't touched on it too much.

Hart
Jan 10th, 2002, 02:22:43 PM
I think Lucas is making a conscience effort to contradict points of EU that he doesn't like. And well he should.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2002, 02:49:25 PM
I don't think Lucas is trying to destroy the EU. First why would he when he is making money off of it? Second he has said repeditely he doesn't read the books so he probably has no clue what has gone on in them to contradict them.

JMK
Jan 10th, 2002, 05:34:35 PM
I'm glad he's just "setting the record straight". I don't care much for EU, but I do want knowledge of certain issues, and not from EU authors, but from GL himself.

Hart
Jan 10th, 2002, 10:22:57 PM
Exactly

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2002, 11:19:27 AM
I don't think GL is on any mission to destroy or contradict the EU. I just think he's hell bent on making these movies the way HE wants them. If that means he contradicts something Anderson or Zahn wrote then he won't even think twice. He's already contradicted himself (Greedo shoots first, Cloud City has lots of windows, Luke screams like a girl when he takes swan dives, etc.) so the EU is no dfferent. Even before the modern EU, you've got issues like 3-P0's origin which have been thrown for a loop. By making 3-P0 Anakin's creation GL has contradicted source material which makes 3-P0 much older. He just doesn't care. He wanted Anakin to create him so there you have it. Now, someone at LucasBooks or some EU author has to come up with some extravagent explanation.
"Oh see, many of 3-PO's components are actually much older. So, that's what was meant when it was said he was X (100+ I think) years old!"

You can explain away practically anything if you think hard enough.

Hart
Jan 11th, 2002, 04:46:02 PM
Oh, I don't think he's looking to kill EU, I just think he's taking advantage of his opportunity to set the records straight and correct any misinformation.