PDA

View Full Version : Ebert liked Final Fantasy!!!

Darth23
Jan 7th, 2002, 09:56:15 AM
:p

Though it will probably mostly pull down Worst Picture honors elsewhere, Roget Ebert put Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in is Honorary Mention list as one of the best pictures of 2001.

[link fixed:]
<a href=http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-feature/sho-sunday-ebertten30.html> Ebert's best of 2001</a>

"Honorary Mention

There were a lot of other films I admired this year; the only reason they are not listed higher is that--well, other films here. They included:

''A.I.,'' ''Amelie,'' ''Atlantis,'' ''Baby Boy,'' ''Bread and Roses,'' ''Bridget Jones Diary,'' ''Center of the World,'' ''The Day I Became a Woman,'' ''Final Fantasy,'' ''Hearts in Atlantis,'' ''Heist,'' ''Joy Ride,'' ''Legend of Rita,'' ''Liam,'' ''Lord of the Rings,'' ''Moulin Rouge,'' ''No Man's Land,'' ''Royal Tenenbaums,'' ''Sexy Beast,'' ''Spy Kids,'' ''Tailor of Panama,'' ''Tape,'' ''The Claim,'' ''The Dish,'' ''The Pledge,'' ''The Score,'' ''Under the Sun,'' and ''Yi Yi.''"

:D

JMK
Jan 7th, 2002, 10:57:47 AM
What?? He hasn't listed Kung Pow yet??? What a chump.

Darth23
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:32:19 PM
2001 movies, dude.

Champion of the Force
Jan 7th, 2002, 08:32:37 PM
I'm glad 'The Dish' got a mention. :)

Hart
Jan 7th, 2002, 09:44:32 PM
I saw FF this past weekend and I must admit that I wasn't too thrilled with it. As someone who doesn't play the game and isn't really familiar with it, I would expect them to make more of a geniunely interesting movie to those other than hardcore fans. The special effects, I hardly need to say, were spectacular, but that's the only praise I can give it.

Darth23
Jan 8th, 2002, 12:06:04 AM
I've never played the games. I went in to the movie with no expectations. after seeing the trailers I basically I thought it has a lot of elements of Aliens, Terminator 2, and probably a few other sci-fi hits, but I didn't really expect that much from it. I also didn't buy the whole "It looks so real" line, it looked great for
animation, but it still looked like animation to me.

I was just mostly surprised at the way the movie dealt with the issue of death. I don't know, maybe people are just too used to seeing death onscreen as a form of entertainment - especially in horror and action movies. A movie comes a long that actually has something to say on the subject and everyone says 'the plot sucked'.

Hart
Jan 10th, 2002, 11:15:56 AM
It seemed pretty close to the average "man vs. 'alien'" story. The "invaders" are winning until the very last moment when they discover what to do to beat them and it works against all odds.