PDA

View Full Version : Why are mod Canidates no longer discussed with the people of this forum?

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:37:45 AM
I've noticed a very disturbing trend(at least to me) that Mods postions are no longer discussed with the people of this board. For the most part there is just an announcement and that is all, and in some cases Mods just show up with no announcement what so ever. Why are their no longer threads to sugest new mods for the board......why has that been replaced with this new form of chooseing who mods this board. Do the Adms feel that we don't know what's best for us anymore? Im at a lost to understand why this is the way things are run, and im tired of trying to guess. So im just gonna ask.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:39:49 AM
And don't get me wrong......don't go thinking I don't think the mods are good mods just cause I said this, cause that's not what im saying at all......but I just feel something has been taken away from us.

Aaron Belargic
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:53:27 AM
Hey... I just realized you're right. I don't remember the last few moderators being brought up here where their positions were concerned, but in the past I recall this stuff being brought into the open. It's not like I'm mad or anything, or bothered by the current staff, but like Rama, I too am kind of wondering why things were done in this manner...

ReaperFett
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:57:53 AM
I trust them all, so Im not bothered

Jedah Lynch
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:04:47 AM
I echo Ramas sentiments.

Although believe the "new" mod currently already has such duties so its not much an issue unless there is another one that was appointed and as such is the one Rama is referencing too. Yet do still agree with Rama on the subject of mods are picked/chosen upon this communityetc.

Darth Vader
Jan 6th, 2002, 11:02:37 AM
If you're referring to Eve, I believe she is working with the portal page to keep it in order and such.

But if you're referring to me...then well...you should know better :p

Jeseth Cloak
Jan 6th, 2002, 11:50:29 AM
I wasn't referring to anyone. I only thought that it's the actual policy itself that seems to be changing. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 12:04:50 PM
I wouldn’t actually call the practice of either discussing or not discussing such things with the posters actual policy. If it were policy, it would be written in the FAQ. We really have no set policies in regards to such things. Shortly after DT and I chose the fleet mods, Davwj brought the very same point that it had not been discussed with the posters to our attention and we have decided to do that in the future. There was no motive such as “we don’t trust the posters” or any such thing involved in the choices that were made, it just happened that way.

Gav Mortis
Jan 6th, 2002, 12:10:11 PM
Bah! The higher powers have snatched what little independance of thought and freedom of opinion we have left. Let's face it, we are just the play things of the SWFans hierarchy. Look at my strings! :)

No seriously though, I have no problem with the appointed mods or admins - I trust in the good judgement of those who have well kept this community for so long. Besides, if I did have any objections to those appointed, I would surely voice my opinion as I'm sure anyone else would do.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:08:56 PM
I was referring to all mods that were given their postions in the manner I listed and not one in paticular. Maybe I policy of discussing the mod canidates......or even asking the people of this board who they would want as their mod again would be a good move.

Tirsa Krylana
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:13:51 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't this issue discussed before and it was pretty split down the middle?

Agreeing on how mods should be appointed will probably take as much time agreeing on who the mods should be :lol

I dunno, if a combination of two could be possible ... that might work.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:26:02 PM
I don't ever remember a change to this method ever being disscussed. We use to discuss mods and even Adms out in the open. That's how Ogre got his Adm spot......that's how Del got her Mod spot. If anything the current way is the invaild way. but as it has been said their are no guidelines on this. And maybe their should be.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:29:45 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Shortly after DT and I chose the fleet mods, Davwj brought the very same point that it had not been discussed with the posters to our attention and we have decided to do that in the future.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:42:13 PM
ok that's all fine and dandy.....but that rule wasn't implemented after the fleet mods were chosen, as your trying to lead us to believe. And their were no threads till now to tell us that was the plan for the future.

A simple thread saying that you'd like to make this person a mod for this reason and did we agree would not be that hard, yet it was not done.

*Edit spelling.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:43:41 PM
There have been no mod appointments in the Roleplaying section since the fleet mods were chosen, so I have no clue what you are saying.

EDIT: I am telling you the truth plain and simple, I am not attempting to lead anyone to believe anything.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:49:11 PM
Well I didn't want to mention names, but Eve. Im not saying i wouldn't agree with her being a mod, Im saying that I didn't notice her being a mod till after the fleet thing, if she was a mod before that's my mistake. But only remember noteing her title in recent weeks.

Now I know she was brought on for a reason, and thats fine. But that reason was not explained to us......if fact it was never mentioned.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:50:16 PM
Eve is not a Roleplaying moderator.

Would you like me to find the thread where I announced her appointment and the reasons for it?

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:54:19 PM
I take it wasn't in OOC then?

Well if it's not RP mod ship.......then why was it given to an Rper?

I mean I'm not knocking her.....but are you telling me with all the other forums on this board that only another RPer could do the job? I find that hard to believe.

*Edit spelling

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 05:55:29 PM
Eve retired from the RP long ago Rama.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11171

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11173

The topic was posted in OOC as well as in the BO forum.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:00:00 PM
Then that is my mistake.

But if she isn't an RP mod, and LL and Pierce were brought in to handle fleets. Then arn't we missing a few general RP mods?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:02:04 PM
They left of their own volition and we have not seen any need for any others yet.

DarthHERA
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:06:32 PM
Eve's appointment was announced too on the main page when it was re-set up wasnt it? And the Portal Forum is a news forum, dont really know why the RP sections need to vote.

BUT, having said that,

I do like the fact that mods/admins used to be discussed by the posters at large prior to appointment. I think this is a board for all of us, that its only fair we have the opportunity to have a say. Even if that process means it takes more time (cause lets face it, we love to debate here). :)

Davwj brought the very same point that it had not been discussed with the posters to our attention and we have decided to do that in the future.

Seems like the answer is right there.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:07:36 PM
Well with the amount of fights and flames being thrown around here lately I don't see why not. Half these things are out of control before a Mod ever shows up. I can't see how there CAN'T be a need for them.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:09:36 PM
Show me some links to exapmles please?

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:18:24 PM
I agree that with the three roleplaying forums that three Mods really aren't enough to keep an eye on things and nip things in the bud before they escalate. There really aren't any examples that I personally have to cite or anything, it's just how I feel based on the number of posters versus the number of Mods.. a numbers thing if you will.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:19:00 PM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11307

this is a good one......this one turned into flames several times.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:24:50 PM
And another good example is gone. Delted or moved, and no explaintaion why in OOC.

I think we all know the one im talking about, the Hit and miss thread.

I can't believe it was deleted or moved......Closed I could understand, but why was it moved?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:31:03 PM
Two example constitutes: ???

Well with the amount of fights and flames being thrown around here lately I don't see why not. Half these things are out of control before a Mod ever shows up. I can't see how there CAN'T be a need for them.

Sorry, but that isn’t enough reason for me to see any purpose. As for the disappearance of the second example you speak of, I see that as the mods doing a good job at what they are supposed to be doing. It was said by me just a couple days ago that a zero tolerance level for such things was going to be enforced and it has.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:33:18 PM
How is hideing something like it never happened "A good job" Hideing problems doesn't solve them.

imported_Eve
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:35:31 PM
To tell you the truth, I left the role-playing world a long time ago, mostly because I think the lot of you bicker too much and take shots at each other more than you have good clean fun. It's pick pick pick here. I have no need to dabble into your world of endless debating so I can just recieve crap for trying to mediate. More power to those who would do so. It's a dirty job and someone has to do it,.

I am a mod so that I may work the portal forum. The way posts work in that forum, is that they must be screened/edited before they actually display for the public, hence why the mod needs to be a mod. The Portal forum's purpose is to provide information and news, and we use it to draw people into discussions within our forums (advertising, if you will).

I have not, as mod, interferred in the roleplaying, nor will I interfere where roleplaying is concerned. My status has nothing to do with the roleplaying world, as I am not really part of it. I was appointed to that job because of having done similar things on sites that I have or presently run.

But, yes, I was appointed. Appointed based on my credentials, but nonetheless appointed. I agree that mods should be discussed amongst the public. But then again this isn't any public... its a nondecisive public, which has hit this issue before, and (present conversation as exibit) got no where.

If you like (not that I know what ever appeases people around here) take my mod access away, and vote someone else in.

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:41:46 PM
But, yes, I was appointed. Appointed based on my credentials, but nonetheless appointed. I agree that mods should be discussed amongst the public. But then again this isn't any public... its a nondecisive public, which has hit this issue before, and (present conversation as exibit) got no where.

It doesn't matter if it's an nondecisive public or not.....It still doesn't mean someone should pick What is "Best" for us with even conidering our opinon on the matter. What if the President just said the house and Senate couldn't make decsions anymore and that he wasn't gonna use them anymore and he would be makeing all decsions himself now. You think that would just fly? You think people would just go "Oh ok.....I see, well I guess he knows best" NO! If fact HEEEEEEEEEEEll No! That's why it will never ever happen.......and it should have never ever happened here. Im just glad to hear that it won't be like that any longer.

imported_Eve
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:45:52 PM
Hey I agree with you (as I said), but lovely speech.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 6th, 2002, 06:46:05 PM
a) Yes the Fleet mods were appointed without a vote. And as pointed out.... probably shouldn't have done that >_<

b) Rough rule of thumb I would think would be one active admin and two active moderators.

Okay, let me put my thoughts in order.....

If moderators are active, then two is enough. The admin then never has to step in. When the admin has to jump in, then maybe two isnt enough.

In theory, the moderators looks ater the posting issues, the admin looks after board issues.

Edit : That be two mods per section. I would call Roleplay a section. If a modertator's primary focus is Roleplaying, then their power should generally be limited to that.

BTW, is it published who are the moderators and for what sections?

Taylor Millard
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:06:26 PM
Helluva way to come back. Okay, I have a few choices for Mods then. If we want candidates then I present them.

1) Lilaena De'Ville- She's good with RPers both IC and OOC. She mods over at GJO at Yoghurts. Why not move her up to the big leagues. She's been around a while and ban be diplomatic

2) Gav Mortis- I dunno 'bout you guys, but Gav's a great RPer. He does well OOC and seems to be popular here. Plus, he's a law student so he'd know how to be diplomatic.

3) Dalethria Mal Pannis- I know she left as a mod, but why doesnt' she come back?

4)ReaperFett- We have mostly Rogues or Dark Siders as mods, why not a Jedi. It would perhaps make this more of a Jedi-friendly place and perhaps have more Jedi come and RP here. Out of all of them, he's been here one of the longest times and is the #1 poster here.

THose are my suggestions.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:06:56 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
BTW, is it published who are the moderators and for what sections? Yes.

<a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10861>Administration List - SWFans.Net Forums</a>

Rama
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:08:31 PM
ReaperFett..........I like that. At least he'd have excuse to be mean to me then. LOL!

I think Fett would be great......he's around, he's active. I trust him to do the right thing when it needs to be done.

imported_Eve
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:18:56 PM
I agree to those, but I would also have to suggest... and yes she is my best friend ...

But Hera. She is VERY level headed, pals with everyone. She is articulate and thinks things through before she speaks. Always fair. I think I have heard the same things said about her elsewhere.

This is all assuming you're adding positions.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:23:07 PM
I think Figrin D'an would be an excellent consideration. He has been around the boards a long time, he's well spoken and very level headed. Although he isn't really active with alot of roleplays, I think that might be a good consideration - someone who would have enough time to read everything without attending to alot of their own roleplays might better serve as an addition to the staff.

Navaria Tarkin
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:24:13 PM
I think Marcus and Taylor are on a better course with this... bringing up potential people that could be considered for the position. Obviously some here feel that there isn't enough mods here and that is fine. Alot is going on here but what we need is more suggesting and working together instead of debate.

This place is busy. Hand down. It is a lot of work and between that, keeping the place updated, and dealing with countless OOC threads with concerns (not saying they aren't warrented or not) is some serious stress around here for the mods and admins.

With all the problems around here and OOC debate, I am surprised that the mods and admins have lasted this long :p

Anyway ... as for me stepping down since Taylor brought my name up. I had to step down because it was interferring with my business over at TSE and school. Well, school isnt an issue anymore because I am not taking as many classes as I was like last semester and being on the Council at TSE isn't an issue as well. I was going to actually bring up here if the community wanted me back as a mod since I can now .... I was just figuring out a way to do it but since this took off why not here.

As for Fett ... I also think he would make an excellent mod. Two cents there ^_^

I do fail to see why Eve being a mod was even brought into question. She works on the website and portal page which has nothing to do with RPing here. She was selected because of her design and graphic knowledge which kicks ass.

anyway ... my thoughts :)

edit~ change my first line to that everyone is on a better track lol I didnt see eve and dara's post

ReaperFett
Jan 6th, 2002, 07:28:51 PM
Figrin isnt on enough, IMO.

I also want to rule me out right now. As others have said before, Im too argumentative. Apparently, I argue for the sake of it, didnt notice that. That doesn't make a good mod, IMO

Fancy disagreeing, go ahead :)

I personally would say Nichos Marr. He's been round for a fair while, he RPs A LOT, he has characters on each side of each fence, and has a brain up there

Estelle Russard
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:04:51 PM
Thankyou for the comments Eve,
(this is Hera, for those who dont know)
but I dont want to Mod - I unfortunately dont have the
time to read every thread that goes on in the RP forums.
But thanks for the thought.

I,also, think Fett is a good nomination, inspite of his
"argumentive" tendancies (:p ) because he is around alot,
has a fair perspective on things regardless of who ever is involved, and is very sensible.

Figrin, I cannot say, as I am not familiar enough with him.

De'Ville also is a good nomination. She is here alot too and is a
very fair person. Has headsmarts. (common sense in other words)

Navaria Tarkin
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:12:03 PM
I don't blame you Hera... it gets tedious :lol

Honestly... I wouldn't know what to say about alot of the choices mentioned. Figrin isnt around enough for me to make a judgment and I know little of Gav except we talked once! LD seems pretty cool as an RPer and I would have to take the word of others how well she mods. But modding the Jedi board is a pain so she has paid some dues :)

Aurelias Kazaar
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:25:27 PM
*Slaps himself for not thinking of Nichos

Seth would be a good candidate for a mod position. He does it over at GJO I believe. He'd be good as well IMO.

*This is Millard btw for those who don't know who Aurelias Kazaar is.

ReaperFett
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:28:05 PM
I don't blame you Hera... it gets tedious :lol

But it makes the interesting stuff more interesting :)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:33:18 PM
Hera is evenhanded, but doesn't want the postion.

I feel that Firgin simply isn't around enough. I think it would kinda play out like this, I think. "Hey, new mod! Er... Figrin? You there? Fiiiigriiiiiinnnn..."

Fett: Stubborn but evenhanded. I think he would be a solid mod.

Seth/Nichos is quiet, speaks only when he feels something needs to be said and is very open minded. I wouldn't blame anyone if they don't want the postition though.

DeVille seems to mirror Seth, but more vocal. Another solid choice.

ReaperFett
Jan 6th, 2002, 08:50:32 PM
Dont see how stubbon makes anything but a poor mod

Morgan Evanar
Jan 6th, 2002, 09:53:05 PM
Sometimes its a useful trait.

ReaperFett
Jan 6th, 2002, 09:56:59 PM
howso?

Morgan Evanar
Jan 6th, 2002, 10:02:05 PM
No... you're more persistant than stubborn... which can be infuriating at times... like now =p

ReaperFett
Jan 6th, 2002, 10:05:42 PM
in what way?

:)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 6th, 2002, 10:50:59 PM
*eyes bug out, and starts to run in circles around Fett*

AGGHHH STOP IT!

Zasz Grimm
Jan 6th, 2002, 10:59:07 PM
I think LD is a good choice, I have seen her RP and I have spoken with her OOC. I beleive her judgement is sound and she will do the right thing when push comes to Shove.

Nichos is another good decision to go for on mods. He is active, and he RP's alot. Another good reason is he can see the reasoning on each side, since he does have dark and light characters.

Dalethria was an excellent mod, I think it was a bummer that she had to leave as mod. If she could come back that would be good, I know she is active and would like to help keep this place clean.

Hera would be perfect. I havent seen her RP alot on the boards but I know her from the past. She doesnt take sides, she argues both points to come to a compromise.

Dont know Figrin...:(

And Fett is just...A retard...:p

Vice Hazzard
Jan 6th, 2002, 11:12:59 PM
This is, of course, Sage Hazzard. I haven't registered as Sage yet, so I'm posting my ideas in this user name.

Seth/Nichos is an outstanding RPer. Plus, he knows a lot about Star Wars. Which actually comes in handy in OOC debates, etc. Plus, he's bright enough to keep a level head.

Repearfett is another great choice. I think he argues(if you call it that) constructively, not in the bad way. That's my opinion. He'd be perfect if he accepted the job.

Hera, another good choice. I don't know her too well though. But she certainly seems to have what it takes.

Those are the comments on the names that came up. The ones I can remember, that is. :)

Chaos Alexander
Jan 6th, 2002, 11:43:32 PM
I wish to nomonate.....myself! muwahahahah

Just ****in' with ya. On a serious note, I like the Fett idea as well as Marr. Fett argues and stuff, but as he told me he "gets mad at an issue not at the person" You said it big man. Marr is a great RPer/ Me and him did a RP together with Jeseth. He keeps a cool head and thinks without judgement IMO

Chaos/Verse Dawnstrider. Like Sage, I haven't registered Verse yet.

Figrin D'an
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:07:27 AM
My silence is by choice... not by virtue of my absence from the board.

I do tend to think a couple more mods could aid the monitoring process. I'm sure whomever is chosen will perform the job most admirably.

Darth Vader
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:23:19 AM
Well, Hera is kinda like a mom to me, and De'Ville is kinda like a sister to me, and Fett is kinda like a red-headed stepchild kept in the attic and fed a diet of fish heads...

...so they're all fine in my book! :)

Nupraptor
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:38:01 AM
I am skimming over most of this thread, seeing as how it's already three pages long. So please forgive me if I'm being redundant. But I believe it works like this: Most of the Roleplaying Moderators were elected because they should be someone that the general populace trusts and believes to be capable of making unbiased decisions. However, the recent Moderators (Eve, Sanis and Tondry) weren't put in place simply because we needed more Mods, but because they were needed for a specific job.

The problem with voting for a Moderator is that it can easily become a popularity contest, with little attention paid to whether or not the person in question is actually qualified for the job. Even if the person makes a good Moderator, they might not be suited for the task at hand.

For example: While I may make a good Moderator (I'm not saying that I do, but for the sake of argument), I admittedly know nothing about Fleet rules. Sanis and Tondry were picked for the position because it was believed that they were the most qualified people for the job. I don't believe that there have been any general RP Moderators "appointed", and that's the distinction. It'd be like asking why the Roleplayers don't vote on the Mods for the Box Office forum.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Champion of the Force
Jan 7th, 2002, 02:28:19 AM
It'd be like asking why the Roleplayers don't vote on the Mods for the Box Office forum.
Roleplayers are more than welcome to vote on mods/admins for that section of the board, however if they ever wanted to do so they would have to go to that particular section and put in their vote (we wouldn't put a vote thread in the RPing section for Boxoffice obviously).

I have always held a nomination process for determining moderators. Basically it's 2 steps - holding a nomination process for the normal posters to have a say, then the current staff looking over the results and choosing who they consider the best candidate is. I personally find that it is the most satisfying process for all, and will continue to use the same process where possible.

I dislike having appointments resting solely on staff discretion with little or no input from the general populace (except for special circumstances like Eve's whose appointment is of a somewhat different type). As others have pointed out I previously voiced my displeasure at some previous appointments (not the actual people appointed, just the nature of their handling) and hopefully they will be avoided where possible in the future.

Nupraptor
Jan 7th, 2002, 02:42:44 AM
Roleplayers are more than welcome to vote on mods/admins for that section of the boardI'm not saying that there's anything barring them from voting. But they generally don't, because the majority of the RPers don't visit that forum and thus don't know what's required for the position and who would be suitable for it.

Jedah Lynch
Jan 7th, 2002, 06:34:54 AM
Mods and admins tend to have one of the hardest jobs but sometimes they make it hard on themselves as well.

Anyways...as for where mods are concerned I believe one of the problem that swfans is most of those placed in power tend to associate with each other which plays a large role in who gets what. Few would be considered or choosen if they are not in "good terms" with the other person. This is done for several reasons really, most can understand that fact, the simple truth that lies behind that. Its no different anywhere else for the most part so can not condemn anyone for that. Simply the ways things are everywhere.

However do believe the next mod should be new and not only qualified but have the potential to NOT be a butt monkey nor either to be a mindless follower. One of the causes of collapse is that some are too chummy chummy to get any thing sometimes needed to said said and done in a way some might not always agree with. At times some places need someone who stand up to challenge the system despite what might be said about them and not worried about reputation as some are.

With all that in mind I "nominate" Rama Sha. Yes he can be a pain in the butt, he wears make up IC and likes Oasis but I've learned not to hold that against him....only took a year :lol

Why do I nominate him? Easy, when he decides to do something he does it because he believes its right. There are no motives like power plays, popularity contest and he certainly doesnt worry about some damn locked forum he might post in some will get on his case if he doesnt agree with a "clique". His ambitions here are simple, he wants to RP and he wants to have fun. Nothing less, nothing more. He has had the experience of leading groups for a long time, he has lasted beyond most in leadership at any group. There is a reason behind that.

He is a good guy. Few give him a chance at times usually because he wont be a follower or be swayed easily as some are or conform to the wishes of peer pressure. Thats not a bad thing. He is a good choice, not that I think he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting a mod spot due to various reasons which are pointless to go into. But ah well.

Also. Fett.....take the damn mod spot if offered.

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 7th, 2002, 07:16:29 AM
However do believe the next mod should be new and not only qualified but not have the potential to NOT be a butt monkey either to be a mindless follower. One of the causes of collapse is that some are too chummy chummy to get any thing sometimes needed to said said and done in a way some might not always agree with.

With your eloquent wording (:lol) in mind, Jedah, I would have to agree with the nomination for Rama. There is obviously a reason why he has been able to lead groups for as long as he can, and that reason is simple. When the time comes, he is one of the most impartial people that I know.

While I like Rama and I believe that he likes me, I know that if I do something stupid over at TSE, he is going to reprimand me. That is a good thing (imho). We need impartial mods that are not afraid to speak their mind.

However, going back to what Jedah said, I must also nominate Jedah Lynch. Here's why.

However do believe the next mod should be new and not only qualified but not have the potential to NOT be a butt monkey either to be a mindless follower.

Well, he's not a butt monkey (:lol), usually. :) And he is obviously not a mindless follower. Just look around OOC at some of his posts and you can see that plain as day.

One of the causes of collapse is that some are too chummy chummy to get any thing sometimes needed to said said and done in a way some might not always agree with.

For some reason, I don't think that we have to worry about this with Jedah. :) He is the type of person (from what I know of him) that gets things done when they are needed. When the situation calls, he rises to the occasion.

So, in conclusion, I must concur on the vote for Rama Sha and I would also like to nominate Jedah Lynch. Unfortunately, due to me being anti-social, I don't know any of the other candidates. :(

Jedah Lynch
Jan 7th, 2002, 07:29:57 AM
Well, he's not a butt monkey (:lol), usually.

Thanks for your confidence. :lol

Seriously thanks for the nod but overall I've burned too many people for wrong reasons and dont deserve the spot for that reason alone. That and being a mod here is akin to death....not that I'm trying to get rid of Rama or anything;) heh.

*whistles*

But do feel someone needs to be a mite better tempered in some ways than myself to do this job here justice.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Jan 7th, 2002, 09:42:23 AM
I would also agree with Rama Sha being a Mod. He's online every day, he's a fair person, and he has been around the boards since the beginning. I think we need someone with this kind of established roleplaying history and experience on the board. He is an active roleplayer as well, but not so inundated with roleplay threads that he wouldn't be able to keep up with Mod duties.

Jeseth Cloak
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:34:09 PM
I completely missed the part of the thread where the Admins/Mods said that there was a need for more Mods... It's probably my fault since I skimmed the thread... but since everyone seems to be voicing their opinion, then I'll voice mine.

I'd be alright with either Seth, De'Ville, Taylor, Morgan (Evanar), Hera, or... um. I think off the top of my head that's it.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:35:48 PM
Rama or Nichos have my votes.

Mortaniuss
Jan 7th, 2002, 03:30:12 PM
Originally posted by Jeseth Cloak
I completely missed the part of the thread where the Admins/Mods said that there was a need for more Mods... As did I... I thought there were quite a few already.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 7th, 2002, 05:28:29 PM
I will not be a mod at SWFans. I'd be flat out too tempted to tell someone to screw off.

Jerred Rez
Jan 7th, 2002, 06:07:45 PM
Oh, and Gav would be cool as well. :)

Champion of the Force
Jan 7th, 2002, 08:57:13 PM
I completely missed the part of the thread where the Admins/Mods said that there was a need for more Mods...
We never actually did.

It would seem that ever since Taylor Millard posted his suggestions for good candidates everyone else has decided to post their own list as well.

Still, no harm in receiving suggestions. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2002, 09:16:07 PM
Ive got this image of Davwj sitting there nodding, saying "Yes, we have taken in each persons perspective, and will be ignoring them one by one in due course"

j/k :)

Zasz Grimm
Jan 7th, 2002, 09:31:22 PM
:lol

Maybe he is...:x

But maybe he isnt... :)

Daegal Murdoch
Jan 7th, 2002, 11:28:00 PM
Not that it matters, but I decided to tally up votes. Forgive me if I cannot count well. :lol

Lilaena Deville 7
Gav Mortis 2
Dalethria Mal Pannis 2
ReaperFett 7
Hera 4
Figrin D'an 1
Nichos Marr 8
Rama Sha 4
Jedah Lynch 1

Rama
Jan 8th, 2002, 01:26:06 AM
The problem with voting for a Moderator is that it can easily become a popularity contest, with little attention paid to whether or not the person in question is actually qualified for the job. Even if the person makes a good Moderator, they might not be suited for the task at hand.

Agreed this is.....Someone who may be able to do the job better will be completely over looked because another person is Friends with everyone that they can talk to.

And i could see DAWJ saying that too.......:lol

Oh well......if he listens and ignores.....at least he still listened. :)

Live Wire
Jan 8th, 2002, 03:37:25 PM
my question is why are people voting on mods when there was no agreement that we need anymore mods??

Gav Mortis
Jan 8th, 2002, 04:27:10 PM
Originally posted by Live Wire
my question is why are people voting on mods when there was no agreement that we need anymore mods??

My dear, the number of Mods at this board is just like sexual endevours with Elizabeth Hurley - you just can't get enough of em! :)

Fett, Lilaena and Nichos all get my vote on this one.

As for those suggesting I would be a decent enough Mod - as flattered and thankful I am in your confidence - I must respectfully decline as I believe that at the moment I would be unable to honestly dedicate sufficient time to a forum or two here. There are better people for the job and as much as I would be honored to help I'm afraid as a mod I would be little more useful than I would be as a fellow member of the community.

Besides, if I became a mod I'd have to keep my temper and we can't be having that now can we? :angel

But beware SWFans, come July I will have begun my Gap Year and then you won't be able to get rid of me! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/ylsuper.gif

I love that smiley! I am the official owner of the SWFans Rocker™ Smiley. :)

Champion of the Force
Jan 8th, 2002, 07:59:03 PM
Not that it matters, but I decided to tally up votes.
Yep, it doesn't really matter if someone gets 5 votes or 50 votes - in the end us admins choose who gets it. This nullifies the old 'popularity contest' idea that Rama and some others mentioned and also ensures that the new moderator would be able to work with the currrent staff. Not 100% perfect, but it's worked out ok so far. :)

Oh well......if he listens and ignores.....at least he still listened.
Indeed, and be grateful. There ain't no democracy here - just a benelovent dictatorship. :lol

Rama
Jan 9th, 2002, 03:39:44 AM
For now.....:: Plots Revolution. :: For now.........MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :lol

Strider
Jan 9th, 2002, 04:40:26 AM
Is also plotting for revolution, but not in this forum.....

Jedi Knight Aura
Jan 9th, 2002, 11:56:38 AM
Having fallen into this thread, spending more time in the OOC areas while my character is in a transitional period, I agree with some of the issues brought up in here. We need to vote on the better mod for the task, not turn this into a popularity contest, which defeats the purpose. I vote for Jedah and Rama, but since Jedah declined, my vote goes solely to Rama. He always offered sound ideas on ways to improve role playing, not beating around the bush, going straight to the point. We need ppl not concerned with how their decisions effect their social life. I feel Rama would prove to be highly qualified for the task.

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2002, 12:16:20 PM
We need ppl not concerned with how their decisions effect their social life
I could be good there- I have no social life! :)

Zasz Grimm
Jan 9th, 2002, 01:15:33 PM
So True, So True...

:D

Assaurreei Cassarreessa
Jan 9th, 2002, 05:28:36 PM
LW here - too lazy to switch accounts

well I for one am okay with the admins choosing the mods. They excecute good judgement with apointing who gets it. And yes it prevents things from turning into a popularity contest. Cause there are people here who while are popular would be lousy mods.

or if everyone feels the need to vote then have the admins nominate say two or three people they feel are qualified and have us vote on them. That way it insures the choices are made solely on qualifications.