PDA

View Full Version : Rotj ?

BUFFJEDI
Jan 5th, 2002, 11:59:15 PM
when luke is brought before Palpy,Palpy raises his finger and luke's handcuff's fall off.When they do It looks to me as if luke has a look of amazement . The question is , Is using the force to unlock small devices such as handcuff's a hard trick for Jedi's to do?and it amazed luke or was luke amazed to see Palpy has Jedi power?? I know the later sound stupid BUT Palpy's power (force) was never mention in ANH or ESB.Or was just the fact he was in front of Palpy overwhelming him?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 6th, 2002, 12:07:59 AM
I don't think Luke knew the Emperor was a force user (though didn't Yoda warn him beware the power of the emperor) still only Yoda, Obi-Wan, Vader, and maybe those old looking guys that were arround the emperor in ROTJ knew of his power besides those I can't think of anybody else.

BUFFJEDI
Jan 6th, 2002, 10:15:13 AM
Thats true Yoda did warn luke not to underestimate the power of the emporer(something like that)totally forgaot that and had just watched it:(.

I now wounder if Paply wasn't ment to have force power, in ANH tarkin tells Vader : you are all that is left of there religion: I wounder if lucas later decided to have him with the force?

Or maybe only a select few did know like master carr said??
:huh (sorry talking to myself)

JMK
Jan 6th, 2002, 11:24:12 AM
Maybe less people know that Sidious=Palpy than we think. I think it would be stupid for Tarkin to say that Vader is all that's left of his religion if he knew the emperor were a sith too.

Hart
Jan 6th, 2002, 11:27:02 AM
I think it was just the first time Luke realized the Emperor was Force-sensitive, too.

BUFFJEDI
Jan 6th, 2002, 12:26:04 PM
But wouldn't it stand to reason that Palpy was force intuned?? I mean He did Control Vader.And he was the Most power being in the universe i.e lots of troops,weapons etc...??

or could you look at it, like alot of gangs where most of the time the leader is just the smartest not the strongest??

My brain is melting from thinkingO_o O_o O_o

Jedieb
Jan 6th, 2002, 12:40:21 PM
I think Luke knew the Emperor was Force sensitive. I think he learned that during ESB. How else could the Emperor have "forseen" Luke as a threat. Also during his training he learned even more about Obi Wan's apprentice from Vader. How hard could it be to realize that the only person capable of seducing his father to the dark side was also Force sensitive? I just think Luke's reaction to the cuffs is more of a "first time" sensation. It was the first time he sensed Palpatine's power up close. Let's not forget something else. Luke was finally free to strike down the Emperor. With his cuffs off he could attack Palpy without hesitation. There were a lot of things going through his mind.

I think Palpy did a masterful job of concealing his powers. There were bound to be a few who knew the truth or had suspisions, but I doubt they had the nerve to voice their beliefs publicly. As strong as Palpy was in the Force, I've come to believe his greatest powers were political and mental. We're going to see him manipulate the Republic and the Jedi. Palpy's mind and ability to manipulate is even more deadly than his Force lightning.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2002, 12:15:09 AM
I think your right Jedieb, but I do think the Jedi (Obi-Wan and Yoda in particular and maybe a few others like Mace Windu) do figure it out in the end but its just too late, I'm not sure about the Rebels though it wouldn't matter one way or the other for them but most of the IMPs probably have no clue.

darth_mcbain
Jan 7th, 2002, 11:18:22 AM
Yeah - I had often wondered about that one myself - because I didn't think the Force was "exclusive" in the sense that only Palpatine could have unlocked the binders. I'm guessing any Jedi/Sith strong enough in the Force could have done it - perhaps the binders were designed to be so strong that only Palpatine had the Force ability to unlock them.

BTW, Carr - who are those old guys hanging out with the Emperor in ROTJ? I don't think any clues are alluded to in the OT, but maybe in the EU which I don't follow all that much...

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2002, 11:38:39 AM
The old guys are his assistants and stuff IIRC. Only one was in the EU (In the X-Wing books, IIRC)

The other "shock" could of course just be that Luke was concentrating and didnt expect it. He was brought to THE EMPEROR and then set free. Could be that

Jedieb
Jan 7th, 2002, 12:48:03 PM
There are some comics that involve some of Palpatine's assistants. One of them even tries to assume power after Palpatine's fall. The name escapes me but I think it starts with a P..... Stupid faltering memory!!!!

Jedieb
Jan 7th, 2002, 02:45:26 PM
Pestage!!!!!! Sate(sp?) Pestage! It was in the X-Wing comics and involved Issard. I can't remember if it was in the novels as well. They weren't really my favorites so they're not that memorable to me.

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2002, 03:02:14 PM
He was in Wedges Gamble. His clone was in Dark Empire too

I loved 1,4,5,6,7 and MAJORLY 9(Best. Book. Ever). 2 and 3 were good, 8 was bad :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2002, 11:52:34 PM
Oh Pestage, he was in the novel Cloak of Deception to as Palpatine's aid. According to the SW Encyclopedia he was the Emperor's Grand Vizier, I don't think he was on the Death Star though, I guess he is like the Vice President in that way (never in the same place as the Emperor) He tried to rule the Empire after the Emperor's death but Isard took it from him.

BUFFJEDI
Jan 8th, 2002, 07:15:33 PM
Thanks guy's :) :)

darth_mcbain
Jan 9th, 2002, 10:36:22 AM
But Carr, wasn't he there on the Death Star in ROTJ? I thought he was in the Emperor's throne room.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 9th, 2002, 11:15:01 AM
I'm not sure, but if he was on the death Star how did he get off. Unless he evacuated before it blew up, but I really don't know. The SW Enclopedia doesn't say much about him and there are only a couple of pages in SW Chronicles so I really have no idea unless it was discussed in the comics or in one of the X-Wing novels briefly.

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2002, 12:17:53 PM
Carr, someone escaped the First DS (The one who told Tarkin there was a risk). In the second one, people were evacuating, and there was noone else in the Throne Room. They could have escaped or been shipped off the day before

Jedieb
Jan 9th, 2002, 12:58:52 PM
Yeah someone escaped the Death Star, and his name was Vader. Silly EU, next thing you know we'll find out a couple of baffoons named Tag and Bink escaped the explosion of the Death Star in a stolen Imperial craft. ;)

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2002, 01:15:55 PM
WWWWWWWRONG! :)

If Lucas wrote or made it, it is 100% definately SW, no matter your views on canon. This guy was in the LUCAS made Holidya Special, which is official. So, he made it. Mneh :)

Jedieb
Jan 9th, 2002, 03:21:20 PM
Lucas didn't make the Holiday Special. That was farmed out and he's repeatedly said it's an emabarrasment. That's why there's never been an official release of it on video. Mneh rigt back at yah! :D

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2002, 03:36:20 PM
WWWWWWWRONG! :)

http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0193524

Mneh :)

Jedieb
Jan 9th, 2002, 04:54:17 PM
WWWWWWWRONG!:D
Lucas did NOT write the script for the Holiday Special. That's why he was UNCREDITED. They used SOME of his source material and some of McQuarries paintings. The four saps listed under his name are the ones who wrote that sad tripe and they wrote it ON THEIR OWN! GL was probably out of the country. That's why the wookie home planet was even spelled and pronounced with an entirely different name that Kashykk(sp?). The only CANON is the films, even the novelizations are NON-CANON.

Mneh again. :)

darth_mcbain
Jan 9th, 2002, 04:59:27 PM
At the risk of getting in the middle of this dispute, I think I tend to agree with EB on this one. First off, while they are usually pretty accurate, IMDB is not always 100% correct on their data, so I'd question the source. Second, I've also heard from numerous sources that George Lucas detests the Holiday Special and was not associated with its creation.
My guess is that since the characters and setting were essentially his, whoever did this had to either simply credit GL, or get his permission. Now whether he granted permission on this one or not I don't know, but I don't think he would have. Likely whatever PR person who did authorize it is not working at LucasFilm anymore...
This could be a good question to ask the Jedi Council on the official site - to find the real story...

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2002, 05:04:13 PM
MNEH ONE!:

The Holiday Special IS a SW movie :)

MNEH TWO!:

According to Lucas Licensing Editor Sue Rostoni

, "Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays." Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2002, 10:09:14 AM
Well as long as were quoting people from Lucasfilm:

When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas ' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.

The further one branches away from the movies, the more interpretation and speculation come into play.

The Holiday Special is NOT a film. It's a 90 minute TV special shot primarily with VIDEO. To treat it as canon is to admit that Jefferson Starship is part of the Star Wars Universe, Luke wears blush and eye liner whenever he jumps into his flight suit, Leia actually sang the Wookie Life Day Song to the Star Wars theme, and Chewbacca does a mean two step. Also, the meeting between Boba Fett, Luke, and Han in the cartoon (the best part of the special) contradicts practically EVERY mention of Fett and Han that's been written in the EU. Go to the official site and you'll see that the question of CANON hasn't been addressed that often. And when it was, you don't see Rostoni's quote, you see the one from Chris Cerasi I've quoted.

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20010817.html

:) We all have our certain "point of view." :)

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2002, 10:19:32 AM
Then we are settled. There is no definate answer, its up to you, and if anyone disagrees, they are fools :)

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2002, 01:58:54 PM
That's what I always try to stress with the EU. The EU has now become so big and convuluted that for many people there's simply too much story to accept or reconcile. So if someone who DOESN't read the EU refuses to accept the "fact" that Corran once bested Luke in a lightsaber duel they are perfectly free to do so. Just like the Stackpole worshiper who has a framed copy of the I, Jedi cover on his nightstand can think the Corsec-yes-boy really is as important as Luke. I just know which one I'd have fun ragging on. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2002, 02:25:48 PM
but eb, many EU fans mock Corran as well! :)