PDA

View Full Version : Miami SPANKING Nebraska

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:10:30 PM
12:52 to play in 2nd quarter and Miami is up 21-0. Yes it's early, but it looks like the Hurricanes mean to make it clear that there is NO DOUBT who the number 1 team in the country is. If this continues and Miami pastes Nebraska then Oregon, despite what they did to Colorado, has no real claim to #1. Yes, they probably should have been playing right now, but without a playoff you have to go with a DOMINANT unbeaten team over another solid team with 1 loss.

The game is back on. Let's see if Nebraska can screw up again.

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:17:31 PM
27-0 with over 10 minutes to play in the 2nd. The slaughter is now in full force.

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:34:00 PM
34-0.
Two humiliating blowouts in ine season. I wonder how the BCS computers will interpret THAT data!

Mu Satach
Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:57:01 PM
was Nebraska even on the field? ;)

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:30:52 PM
I think the players and the band members switched uniforms before the game. :lol

Most of the 3rd quarter is gone. Miami is basically sitting on the lead. The defense looks phenomenal. They're so damn fast! They've been all over Crouch and the Nebraska option. Regardless of how many charity points Miami may end up giving up, this is a far worse beating than Colorado gave them. Miami may end up scoring fewer points than Colorado did, but Colorado needed to keep scoring because the Nebraska offense was scoring points and moving the ball. Miami really doesn't have any reason to keep scoring. They're just playing the clock now.

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:34:47 PM
34-7

And then the comeback began..... :lol

imported_Firebird1
Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:43:48 PM
At least Nebraska put up some sort of fight!

Hay they had a Reciever and a Quarterback on the field after all!

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:47:22 PM
34-14
Miami shows some pity by running on 1st and 10, 2nd and 10, and then 3rd and 10. Nebraska promptly returns the punt for a TD. I wonder if they'll open it up again on the next series just to stem the tide a bit.

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2002, 11:35:05 PM
37-14
Well, that's the end of an interesting college football season. After all the posturing and arguing it was settled the old fashioned way, by an undeated National Champion. It's a shame the Ducks or even the team they pasted couldn't have played Miami. However, Miami showed no sign that they were weaker than either of those teams. They ran the clock and sat on the lead in the second half and settle for two field goal attempts. Their defense still only gave up ONE offensive TD. That was as convincing a bowl victory as Oregon or even ...(Whoever produced that Hawaiin blowout, my mind is drawing a blank.) I really do feel for Oregon AND Colorado. One of those teams should have been at the Rose Bowl tonight. Nebraska played 8 dreadful quarters of football to end their season. (You can give them a break for the last two, but Miami was on autopilot) Probably some of the worst in their history. They had NO business being out their tonight.

Can we have a playoff now? PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE?

CMJ
Jan 4th, 2002, 12:08:00 AM
No one could have beaten Miami tonight...even NFL teams woulda had struggle. ;)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 4th, 2002, 12:19:05 AM
Some of those calls were sooo bs. On that long run that got nebraska six (the kickoff er punt return), a guy was tackled in the backfield.

Still, the Canes win, even if seven of NB's points were really gotten by dirty means.

imported_Firebird1
Jan 4th, 2002, 01:07:46 AM
:\

I'm glad I stopped watching after the first half.

Figrin D'an
Jan 4th, 2002, 03:36:43 AM
Isn't it interesting that, in each of the BCS games this season, the margin of victory was at least 23 points? Possibly the most lopsided group of bowls in several decades (even going back to the pre-'Bowl Alliance' days).

There was a lot of talk before the game about whether the poor defesive effort by Nebraska against Colorado was an aberation or an omen. Although the result of the Rose Bowl would seem to indicate the later, I really don't think that is completely accurate. The result against Colorado wasn't a fluke, but at the same time, it wasn't really indicative of the top defensive play the Huskers are capable of, either. I tend to think that the Nebraska defense played better tonight than they did against Colorado... it's just that Miami is THAT good.

Miami's team speed was just amazing... that, combined with Dorsey having his best passing night, was more than enough to doom Nebraska. 34 points in the first half... one shy of the Rose Bowl record for points scored in a half by one team. The Hurricanes were in the zone... I have to agree with some earlier comments, I don't think that anyone could have beaten them tonight.

I think the only team that would have had enough offensive firepower, team speed and athleticism to hang with the 'Canes tonight is Florida. (Speaking of which, next September, Miami goes to The Swamp to play the Gators. That'll be a fun game to watch. :) ) Even then, though, Miami just had an aura of quiet determination that I don't think any team could fight. The Canes, all season, had a kind of cold, stoic, business-like attitude about every game, and it was no different in Pasadena.

The BCS managed to partially dodge the bullet this season... at least there will be a consensus national champion. The last two seasons, however, the opponent to the eventual national champion has been controversial. (Last year, Miami was snubbed in favor of Florida State... a team that Miami had beaten earlier in the season.) With the BCS around for at least the next four seasons, it is very possible we could again see controversy and maybe even a split national title, in which case the BCS would have completely failed.

But, despite all the criticism of the BCS, here's to another fun college football season... :)

Darth23
Jan 4th, 2002, 12:19:59 PM
I don't think the BCS really dodged a bullet.

We already saw Nebraska get blown out, did we REALLY need to see that happen again? :p

At least in retrospect it's obvious that Oregon and Miami should have faced each other.

----------

At least next year Florida and Miami have to play each other again. :D

CMJ
Jan 4th, 2002, 12:27:19 PM
Well the Sugar Bowl(BCS game) margin of victory was only 13 points. But yes other than that the margins were all pretty large. :P

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2002, 01:19:27 PM
Can you imagine what the score COULD have been last night if Miami were being coached by someone like Spurrier? I think the program at Miami has come a long way from 91 when it seemed like every other Cane had a criminal record and thugery was the modus operndi. I'm really looking forward to that Gator/Miami showdown in the Swamp. That should be a classic and a big test for a Miami team that will probably start the season ranked #1.

Darth23
Jan 4th, 2002, 06:17:25 PM
After last nights Miami performance, apparently Spurrier decided he'd rather QUIT then face the Hurricanes. :D