PDA

View Full Version : Was SWfans down this morning?

Zasz Grimm
Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:28:19 PM
It wouldnt load at all, said their was no such page. I spoke with Jeseth and he concured.

Something happen?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:29:38 PM
The host was doing something to the server. It happens.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:46:07 PM
Ok, gotcha.

Thanks for the information.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:49:19 PM
You are welcome. :)

No problem, and I didn't mention that yes it was down this morning and a few times last night, but only one instance last night, for a duration of about 3 minutes was by my doing.

I occasionally take the board down for five or ten minutes to do backups and database optimization, but it doesn't take me long to do.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:05:34 PM
Now that I know it will go down every now and then, wont be worried about SWfans dieng or anything |I

TheHolo.Net
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:07:44 PM
I do regular backups of the database which will save us all if such a thing does happen. :)

darth_mcbain
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:14:50 PM
I don't know if this is possible, but would you be able to hook it up so that if you need to take it down for maintenance, the URL would default to a page to indicate that it is down, just so we know that it is a known outage and even possibly have an estimated up-time? Just a suggestion.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:17:52 PM
That actually does happen when I do Maintenance on it myself. But host outages give you 404 errors, thats how to tell them apart. :)

A vBulletin Board not available message means I am working on something.

darth_mcbain
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:43:52 PM
That would make sense - not much you can do when the host bombs out on you - but that's cool that at least when you are doing your own maintenance you let us know - good to know...