PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Firestorm

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:32:22 AM
There's a lot of people who need a lot of prayers tonight.

20,000 firefighters

Many thousands evacuating from fires

The Sydney basin finally gets a break from the fires that have burnt 500,000 hectares since Christmas Day

And there's still no hope for a finish to this in sight. Sussex Inlet is being burnt to the ground. Bowen Mountain is evacuated. There's a line of fire 35km long to the south.

Jedah Lynch
Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:56:46 AM
Seen some news reports and must say it looks pretty brutal.

Wasnt even a few fires deliberately started?

Got to wonder what kind of person is screwed in the mind to do such things.

Jeseth Cloak
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:22:09 AM
That's horrible. I honestly thought you were joking yesterday when you mentioned it to me, and today I saw this and noticed that CNN had an article about it. I hope that you're going to be safe, and that this mess gets cleaned up quickly before anymore people get hurt.

Jedah Lynch
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:33:24 AM
Hmmm turns out they got 20 odd or so people under arrest for starting this, some are teens or younger.

Darth Viscera
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:37:04 AM
Got to wonder what kind of person is screwed in the mind to do such things.

General William Tecumseh Sherman, for one. I believe he ran for president of the United States in 1880 on the Republican ticket, and was beaten by Garfield because the populace was tired of Civil War Officers (Grant, Hayes). Probably misremembering, though. And the moral of the story is that even President-elects can be pyromaniacs, and become the basis for "Gone with the Wind".

I hope that fire can be extinguished speedily, and with little additional loss of life :(

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:35:09 PM
hehe true true, Vis.

I'm gonna start calling you "Beauregard" from now on :)

DT, my prayers go out to you all.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:20:28 PM
Be careful down there Aussies.

Darth Viscera
Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:38:11 PM
Beauregard? He could hardly speak English correctly, seeing as how we was raised in New Orleans. Believe me, I have 300 years' worth of ancestors/relatives who were raised in New Orleans, New Iberia, and various other smatterings of cajun towns. They don't turn out well.

If you're going to call me by a nickname, give me an alias in reference to a Virginia gentleman with sufficient capacity for grandiloquent vocalizations, such as Colonel Taylor. That is General Lee's most trusted aide, not the Colonel Taylor who was trapped on the Planet of the Apes.

DarthHERA
Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:14:35 PM
I havent seen them this bad ever DT. :(

imported_Firebird1
Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:46:13 PM
I can only pray that they put those fires out!
Good Luck and my prayers are with you!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:02:02 AM
I'm praying for you DT...and all of the other people there as well, of course. And the cats.

Lady Vader
Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:50:16 AM
My prayers go out to ya DT, and all the others out there.

(And ditto about the kitties.)

Champion of the Force
Jan 7th, 2002, 01:58:00 AM
Sussex Inlet is being burnt to the ground.
That's where I got sent - and we managed to get on top of it after a LOT of backburning. I think we've lit more fires than put out. :)

(for those who didn't know, I was off fighting fires for the past week as a volunteer :))

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 7th, 2002, 03:01:33 AM
And we FINALLY got some relief in Sydney. There was a storm last night that put out a lot of the fires, giving the fire fighters a breather that is much needed.

So far 1.3 million hectares are ash. 200 homes lost, but incredibly, no one has been killed. That is incredible, given the intensity of the fires.

Down south tho, it's gotten worse cause they didnt get the rain.

Thanks for the prayers people. A lot of people have needed them and this rain Sydney had was totally unexpected and it was highly timely.

Jedah Lynch
Jan 7th, 2002, 06:44:44 AM
Miracles do happen.

Thats good news man.

The most tragic thing about this people caused it. Thats is simply insane.

Still, the resolve of the firefighters combating that fire is nothing short of remarkable.

Jedi Knight Aura
Jan 8th, 2002, 07:29:41 PM
Luckily noone was hurt.

Hector Lien
Jan 8th, 2002, 09:20:48 PM
Poor Koalas.. I hope it all turns out right.. even though by saying that it won't just because I jinxed i. So, in hopes of jinxing the wrong, I hope it all burns down. But, by saying that I jinxed it again, thus creating a paradox and.... I'll shut up now.

Good luck in the down under fighting fire.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2002, 02:23:45 PM
Its good to see that you made it back safely after all that. I’m sure it was quite the experience and I applaud you for volunteering. :)