PDA

View Full Version : Awards?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:25:42 AM
This is a suggestion to SWFANS.NET and Company. I think you should hold a Swfans.net Awards Ceremony sometime this year. The GJO has attempted this, and I volunteered to help count votes....ugh lets not go there right now.

I don't think it would be mean to copy them, I think it was a good idea, but it needed more participation. (And I needed to double check the votes, which I didn't do yet. I was only going to be a HELPER, HONEST! *cries*)

The Golden Globes are good awards, but then, so are the Academy Awards. I think that we could see such catagories as:

Best Boxoffice Guesser
Most Staunch EU Defender
Best Writer
Best RolePlayer
Most Random Poster

...things like that? Anyone like? Anyone want to help out if Swfans endorses these? (we could even get REAL PRIZES!)

DarthHERA
Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:14:44 AM
REAL prizes?

Jedah Lynch
Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:25:31 AM
The real prizes part of course catches ones interest, its been done on some other forums but someone has to foot the cost.

However awards tend to be self serving and pointless.

The voting allow would fall into the pattern of a standard popularity contest with some voting for each other destroying the purpose of any true reconization for ones skill and or contributions to the forums. It would become nothing more then a way to please the egos and ambitions of a few with pats on the backs and ass kissing.

And some get that enough already.

Thats about all the awards RP wise would sink into.

Whoope Doo.

Why not just have a SW quiz contest? Be ten levels with each question harder or more difficult than the last, whoever gets it first would get a prize. *shrugs*

Aaron Belargic
Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:20:10 AM
He is right to a degree, but that is only one possibility out of many.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:30:42 AM
I agree with Jedah too. I also like his idea about Trivia contests of some sort. Those are pretty cut and dry who the winners are and they can be lots of fun. :crack

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:43:32 AM
The only awards that dont decend into a popularity contest are silly awards. Which are a great deal of fun to do. Serious ones can only really be done by an impartial judge, who isnt goign to care about the storm of complaints. I honestly dont think they would work.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:47:55 AM
If we had a trivia contest, who would run it though? who'd create the questions?

Darth Viscera
Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:09:48 AM
Ooh, trivia! I win!

:crack :crack :rollin :crack :rollin :crack

Jedah Lynch
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:41:53 AM
If we had a trivia contest, who would run it though? who'd create the questions?

Good questions and not one I have an exact answer for. The person would need to be knowledgable of the SW universe and make sure the questions/answer were correct. The person would of course need to be able to stay silent if anyone asked them for "clues".

Someone in the Boxoffice forum might help perhaps. I do have one person in mind who might be able to help do this, but do not really know them. I can inquire to ask if some like the trivia idea unless someone else has an idea or some thing they wish to contribute.

As for prizes. Whoever wants to pay or have them can take care of that detail.

Darth Viscera
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:27:23 AM
I want there to be an award for most creative RPer. Like, for instance, I'm always trying to figure out ways to do "visual" RPing which is practical, which is why I spent hours and hours rendering 2,800 frames of crawl sequences, and why I've spent the last several months trying to work out a compression scheme that will allow me to do a 75-second crawl sequence with 112kbps variable bitrate mp3 audio (downmixed from the *stereo* Dolby Digital sequence on the TPM DVD) with VBR DivX4@600kbps on a 2 meg file.

The filterpack is designed to compress end credit sequences on movies to 1 meg/minute, which means I'd have to take out the stars from the crawl, and make the crawl text white. Yeesh, you 56kers out there had better hurry up and get cable.

Anyways, someone put in a "most creative" award.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:58:16 PM
I have no interest in this sort of thing.

Hector Lien
Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:41:05 PM
I can make a quiz.. muwahahahahahahha..

TheHolo.Net
Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:45:37 PM
No awards will be done except possibly silly ones, or maybe the trivia idea. Any others are just pandering and creating a feeling of competition, which we really don't need. This is for fun, not to see or say who is better than anyone else. I’d prefer to keep the competitive atmosphere to an absolute minimum, as it relates to the RP and writing.

Arya Ravenwing
Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:18:58 PM
It was only a passive suggestion, and sort of a dumb idea, as I wouldn't want to have to put it together anyway. I just always thought that the CC.Net awards were cool :p

Morgan Evanar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:19:07 PM
I nominate myself as person who stepped on the most toes.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:08:54 PM
I nominate myself as person who stepped on the most toes

Git your hands off my title :-p

imported_Firebird1
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:46:00 PM
And I have the perfect host for the awards... Moltar!!!!

Jedah Lynch
Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:54:26 PM
Morgan:

I nominate myself as person who stepped on the most toes.

Marcus:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I nominate myself as person who stepped on the most toes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Git your hands off my title :-p

Bah I've stepped on more toes than both of you:p