PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movies of 2001

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 1st, 2002, 05:39:55 PM
I was just curious what was everybody's favorties of 2001 you can list it as a top 10, 5 or what ever you want and you don't have to have seen them in theaters either but here is my in a top 10 list,
1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (best movie I have seen since TPM)
2. Memento( I was surprised at how much I liked this movie)
3. Hannible (not as good as Silence of the Lambs but still was great because of Hopkins)
4. Jurassic Park 3 (I really enjoyed this movie and like it a lot better than TLW)
5. Rush Hour 2 (Funnier than the first one and funniest movie of the year)
6. Harry Potter and the Sorceror Stone (I like fantasy films and even though I have never read the books I liked it)
7. Monsters INC (I liked this movie almost as much as the Toy Story films
8. Enemy at the Gates (A realistic account of WW 2' s battle of Stalingrad)
9. A.I. (A very thought provoking movie with an ending that makes you think)
10. Shrek( Very funny movie that I very much enjoyed)

One last thing that I will add the movie that disapointed me the most was Planet of the Apes, when I first heard about this movie I thought it would be great but when I finally saw it on video, I saw how bad it was.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 1st, 2002, 07:03:20 PM
This is easy. In a year full of crap, these stood out...

1) Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring
2) Monsters Inc
3) Shrek
4) Harry Potter and the Philosphers Stone.

I would have said 2001 was one of the worst years for movies, except that it ended in a bang and a rush, with three really good ones. I saw Monsters Inc yesaterday and that was right up there, it may well beat Shrek. Not as funny, but still....

And what can you say for LOTR?? Best movie of the year, no doubt.

BUFFJEDI
Jan 1st, 2002, 09:46:02 PM
wow I must really be in the the total black sheep . the only movies I can think of I liked this year was

1.PLANET OF THE APES.
2. Hannible

I really cant think of anything else.I know I saw more than that.??!!!??O_o

darth_mcbain
Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:47:13 AM
My list is...

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. Moulin Rouge!
3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
4. Memento
5. Monsters Inc.
6. Shrek
7. A.I.
8. Jurassic Park 3

Tough to put some of these in order - I enjoyed all of the movies, even if they are at the bottom of my list.

As for the year's biggest disappointment I'd have to say Tomb Raider, although I didn't expect much from it anyway, so it is tough to call it disappointing... At any rate, I thought it was one of the dumbest flicks I'd seen in a long time... I haven't seen Planet of the Apes, so I can't speak there...

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:44:52 PM
I didn't get to see many films this year so I've got a very short list.

Favorite
1. Shrek
2. Monsters, INC
Average
1. JP3
2. Kate & Leopold
Dissapointing
POTA (IMO, it was not as good as the original, but better than the sequels that followed it.)

darth_mcbain
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:00:33 PM
Eb - you haven't seen FOTR yet? Or did you just forget it in your post?

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:12:28 PM
This is my preliminary 10 Best list. I have yet to see some 2001 releases(my final list might not be out till February or March). But here is my current list. Numbers 1-2 have flipped back and forth all year. :)

1. Memento
Christopher Nolan burst out onto the scene with this memorable film noir. One of the most unique films I have ever seen.
2. A.I. Artificial Intelligenc
Spielberg crafted a film that people will discuss for years. Performances were uniformly excellent.
3. A Beautiful Mind
Terrific film...Crowe out does himself. A dark film that deals with mind disorders and how they effect family and friends.
4. The Royal Tennenbaums
By far the FUNNIEST film of the year. Everytime I think about it, I get a grin on my face.
5. The Majestic
Unfairly criticized IMO. Carrey is excellent in this drama, that reminded me of a Capra film. Oh, and I LOVE Capra's films. :)
6. Shrek
This gem was one of the best animated films I have ever seen.
7. From Hell
Atmospheric Murder mystery. This film was so much better than I expected it wasn't even funny. Captivating style....
8. Training Day
Denzel Washington plays beautifully against his normal type. I gritty film. Would have been higher except for a pretty lame ending.
9. The Score
Great heist film. Great performances. Nice style and panache. :)A very "fun" film.
10. Fellowhip of the Ring
Though I was ultimately dissapointed in it, there were moments of sheer brilliance. I think I'll catch it again to see if I "get it".

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:28:13 PM
I still haven't seen it McBain. I'm hoping the in-laws will sell their home and move up here sometime soon so my wife and I can start living again!

Mu Satach
Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:47:08 PM
Well that's a ringing endorsement for birth control if I ever heard one.