PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts on FOTR

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 31st, 2001, 12:41:32 AM
I will be the first to admit, I rated TPM far too high after it came out. I think it had to do with some sort of mass hyteria and a need for TPM to be great. That's wrong. And now, TPM is now for me a good movie, not great and nor should it be. I guess I should have realised when I began to reach for the fast forward button for any scence of Portman in the beginning of the movie. And I was still in a theatre. Right now, I have not got the DVD and I dont think I will. I just dont think it's worth it.

Since then, I've been careful to wait for initial thoughts to cool off to judge. If I still think the movie lives up to a second or third viewing, then it rates. Like Shrek. What a classic and there are so many details you just dont see first or second time around. Still makes me laugh. And the way it skewers Disney....! And the exploding bird....!

Yeah, I love it. And the DVD rules.

So, I've seen LOTR:FOTR twice. What now?

I went into this viewing ready to pick it apart. Gun for any flaws. Try to dislike it, cause my initial OMG!!! must surely have been going to far.

I am forced to admit it was not wrong. FOTR is not a perfect movie, I can think of two places that things could have been done better, but you have to admit, has there been a movie with more spectaclar visuals, more mood or acting lately? Or captures an audience so utterly? Despite trying to be as critical as possible, FOTR just does what Citizen Kane does for me - I am forced to accept it is a great movie, one of the best. Certainly, nothing in the last five years gets close, although Sixth Sense was brilliant in itself.

Fellowship of The Ring is a movie to immerse yourself in, to wallow in. There are so mnay small ytouches to appreciate, like the acurate maps, the correct elvish speech, the writings are in the correct scripts.

Amazing that Jackson not only gives us a movie to do Lord Of The Rings justice, it is intself an incedible movie and well worth watching by itself. it captures the spirit of the book so well, it's amazing. Unlike TPM, this is going to age well, which is the test of any great movie. Will it still be great in 10 years time? I think it's going to be.

Still worth a 9.5 and still worth at least another two viewings.

P.S. The last theatre I was at had the bass cranked. The Balrog nearly makes you levitate

Gav Mortis
Dec 31st, 2001, 11:05:32 AM
I completely agree. Last night I went to see Fellowship of the Ring for a second time after cooling off a little, however now I am again, piping hot with praise for this movie.

In all honesty, the only faults I can find with it are the absence of Tom Bombadil and some other select parts from the book. However the confrontation at Weathertop was not how I'd imagined (the lighting seemed very artificial, it was so bright in the middle of the night.

It really is a captivating epic and after seeing it a first time, I also took notice of how the audience were affected by it, sheer silence just after the Bridge of Khazad Dum and there were tears, and gasps, and jumps of fright; it was remarkable - I truely love the acting in this film from Elijah Wood, Sean Bean, Ian McKellen and Viggo Mortensen.

I really don't see how any movie-lover could rate this film as average unless its context was really not suited to their palette for films. I love fantasy stories, so as well as being a Tolkien fan, perhaps I'm biased again but I think the biggest compliment one can pay this movie is it has done the novel justice and delivered everything in the book with stunning visuals as well.

A 10/10 from me.

I just hope the next two have the same quality.

ReaperFett
Dec 31st, 2001, 11:29:03 AM
I thought it was very good, nothing more. Like my review said, there were areas were only the action was keeping me interested. But now after thinking about it, I feel that the fight scenes were a wasted thing, mainly because it did feel a lot like "This is Legolas doing something, cut to a brief shot, Legolas doing something, brief..." Aside from a few tiny things, the others just felt like they were just fighting, which I didnt like.

theyre my only reasonably large gripes. My only majors are the scene over the pit with Hugo Weaving and the human, and Hugo Weaving himself.

Gave my absolutely no incentive to read FOTR, although I'll probably give the second one a shot

Darth23
Dec 31st, 2001, 02:01:04 PM
SO you liked it and your second thoughts are that you liked it?

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 31st, 2001, 05:45:54 PM
Loved it and made sure I loved it

Mu Satach
Dec 31st, 2001, 07:57:51 PM
I can't make up my mind. Some of the effects were off and that bugs me a bit. I might see it again tonight. See what a second helping does for me palette.

JMK
Jan 1st, 2002, 01:46:16 PM
I loved everything about it, and I'll definetly see it a couple more times.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 1st, 2002, 05:30:05 PM
I loved it too again the second time I saw it, I still don't really understand the complaints about the effects, they were excellent to me and will probably win several oscars (I predict it will win best visual, best sound and best sound editing right now) I see what you were saying, Darth, about the extras for the hobbits but it was barely noticable and I would have never noticed if you hadn't said anything. I still don't see anything wrong with the cave troll, its CGI and looks as real as the gungans in TPM, IMO.