PDA

View Full Version : LOTR final gross?

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 27th, 2001, 01:22:37 AM
Had to repost somethign I saw at IDMB here

Usually the industry has a good idea of how a film will do after the first week. I haven't been able to find any consensus for FOTR. I've heard the $350 million number, but also $500M. I don't know how their arrived at these and I don't know when the estimates where made. (the $500M came from someone who seemed intellegent on a message board so its pretty weak.)

There seem to be a number of factors that make the film take hard to estimate:

1)The film is 3 hours and difficult to schedule for multiple repeat showings.
2)Die hard fans are likely to see it an indeterminate multiple of times. (or tens of multiple times in my case ) :-)
3)It seems to be crossing over many of the fantasy movie's traditional demographics young/old female/male.
4)It's actually a bit weak with the traditional target market for the genera which is junior and senior high school boys.
5)It's running up against competition that provides alternate channels but is otherwise extremely week.
6)(the big exception to #5) It is competing against Harry Potter which is both a draw to get people thinking about fantasy and also competition for the entertainment dollar.

Most seem to thing that for the huge critical and fan hype the movie has gotten, $73 million for the first five days was rather week. However, some have suggested the insiders at New Line (who expected it to do well) are completely bowled over by the first week and that they now expect it to far exceed their expectations.

That is what I have been able to glean. So far I haven't been able to find any credible estimates made based on the first full week of sales and exit interviews. If anyone has these please share them.

Point 4 is an odd observation, but something I was pondering too. When I went to LOTR, I noted an 80 y.o. grandma who loved it and wanted to see the next two. Young kids loved it. Women love it. Older men love it.

But, it seems to me that the male 15 - 25 yo demographic isnt as strong as you expect. At least that's what it seems to me.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 27th, 2001, 01:58:19 AM
I definitely think it got a wide appeal. And forget about weak start. It is a great start for a 3 hour movie with some 4000 prints. I think it will run consistent strong results on week days as well as on weekends. HP will be utterly trashed at BO.

Remember my original 612M prediction? I am going to stick to that and see what happens.. :D

Darth23
Dec 27th, 2001, 02:21:15 AM
I can't be an impartial judge. I liked it both times but it felt like the 3 hours flew by in only.... 3 hours. ;)

I felt drained the second time I saw it and I doubt if I'll see it again in the theater - maybe once more in a month - we'll see.

It's perfroming steadily, and the near universal critical praise, matched with the strong public repsonse (on Yahoo, Cinemascore and imdb) makes me think that word of mouth should be really good. But there are definitely some people who won't like it.

My original guess:

Opening Day - 26.2
First 5 days (Wed - Sun) - 102.3
Openeing Week (wed - Tues)- 123.5
First Weekend - 62.3
Second Weekend - 40.31
Total Gross - 279 million

I was high on everything (um, every guess), but I'll stick with my 279 million total.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2001, 02:24:57 AM
I'll predict 335, its just a guess but I have no idea what it will do, it is a hard movie to predict.

darth_mcbain
Dec 27th, 2001, 09:51:04 AM
Yeah - this is a tough one to predict for the reasons mentioned in the first post... I'll go with 310M. I do think it will break 300, but not by much - but at this point it could be anyone's guess...

BUFFJEDI
Dec 27th, 2001, 07:10:37 PM
In the USA I'd say around 320 mil. But I think oversea's it will wipe up. Movies that have an old world feel filmed oversea's always seem to do well, and since this is a classic and filmed oversea's they will take pride in it and support it (does that make any sense?????????) i'd say over sea's it'll make about 500 mil.

JMK
Dec 27th, 2001, 07:13:55 PM
This has been a tough one. Has there ever been a tougher movie to figure out?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2001, 11:36:47 PM
The only one I can think of is Titanic, nobody thought that would do 600 million, not saying FOTR will do it but it is a similar example.