PDA

View Full Version : Mace Windu's Dance Theatre

darth_mcbain
Dec 26th, 2001, 05:53:17 PM
Over the holidays I read a report on IMDB regarding the training thate Sam Jackson had to undergo for AOTC...

Samuel L Jackson is learning how to dance for his fight scenes in the upcoming Star Wars installment - because the footwork is so fancy. Jackson, who plays Mace Windu in Episode II: Attack Of The Clones, has been in intensive training for his fight scenes and George Lucas has tipped him to win an MTV Best Fight Sequence movie award. And the Shaft star admits that the training, which involves watching a lot of Japanese samurai movies, has been pretty grueling. He says, "I'm doing pretty well at it. It's basically a lot more footwork than I thought. For the sword stuff, getting the feet right and getting the steps you can actually do it right. It's a lot like dance choreography. The feet have to be right so that the strikes look correct."

So I guess the question is, what kind of dance? Will Sam Jackson be the next Fred Astaire? or Michael Jackson? :lol

Hart
Dec 28th, 2001, 11:39:13 PM
I think an Astaire would be expecting too much. Perhaps "Gene Kelly"-level at best.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 30th, 2001, 11:06:10 PM
Seriously, fighting has a LOT to do with dancing. Did you know Bruce Lee was a Cha Cha champion? And Jackie Chan did ballet? As did Michelle Yeoh?

Dancing teaches balance, timing and footwork. Most martial arts can be described as an elaborate dance.

I do ballroom dancing and I can attest it helps a lot.

Hart
Jan 1st, 2002, 11:59:53 AM
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. You need good foot coordination if you want to do anything right physically.