PDA

View Full Version : I knew it was only a matter of time

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:19:50 PM
http://learndifferent.clanpages.com/n/FOTR_Xbox.jpg

Fellowship of the Rings. Coming to an X-Box near you.

Garrett Blade
Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:28:19 PM
I saw a preview of it on an E3 promo video.

When you wear the ring, the sky turns dark, clouds form with lightning etc. Whilst it gives you powers, your health slowly deteriorates. Very impressive IMHO. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:42:51 PM
Looks good. Is there any information on the game as a whole or is it still in the works?

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:49:10 PM
It looks interesting... but I can't really recall a game being based off a movie and being worth a snot. :|

And where would this E3 video be?

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:13:20 PM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
It looks interesting... but I can't really recall a game being based off a movie and being worth a snot. :|

Yeah I hear ya. Dark Forces 1 and 2, Rogue Leader, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, etc....how weak.

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:15:51 PM
And which movie, praytell, did those games follow? :p None.

Now lets talk about the Phantom Menace game... yeah, I thought so.

Vega Van-Derveld
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:15:51 PM
Some movie games can be really bad, that is true. Most of the Star Wars ones are good though, although TPM wasn't really anything special.

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:17:17 PM
Blade Runner was quite good. AvP is sortof based on a movie. The original Star Wars was a classic

And I didnt think the TPM game was BAD, just I wished I hadnt paid for it. Had its moments(trust me, there was somewhere)

EA hasn't got a good reputation for good conversions to other conversions though, so I'm not getting to psyched

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:19:02 PM
AvP, likewise, does not follow a movie. Again... I'm talking about games that attempt to follow the movie.

I never actually played the Bladerunner game.

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:20:53 PM
IIRC, Blade Runner didnt follow it that much either. But if youre that picky, you cant count many games. Men in Black didnt follow it, but it was a film conversion

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:27:59 PM
Allow me to rephrase:

Exactly what movie is AvP based off of? Exactly what movie is Jedi Knight based off of? See what I mean?

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:30:46 PM
Rogue Leader followed the movies pretty well, as did Galactic Battlegrounds. Both are incredibly good.

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:30:51 PM
Alien, Predator, Aliens Vs Predator(granted it is early, but still :))...

And my point is MOST game conversaions these days do this. TPM had things not in the game. MIB didnt even follow the film

BTW, what site did you get that from? Gamespot?

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:36:35 PM
Well, this is what I call ADVANCe ordering :) (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf%5Fid=215315)

I heard EA has a 6 year contract for LOTR games. I hope they make something that doesnt follow the books/films

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:58:45 PM
Rogue Leader followed the movies pretty well, as did Galactic BattlegroundsAnd neither one was based off a specific film.

Another poor movie-to-game conversion: Shrek.

Darth Viscera
Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:59:42 PM
LoL! A 9 month pre-order.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:03:05 PM
So in your opinion...a game is only based on a film if it does not deviate in the slightest.

In this case, I will bet your life that the LotR games won't do it either. No game does then. Because if it does fit like that...guess what, its not a game, its a movie!

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:06:45 PM
Originally posted by Jubei SaDherat Vader
So in your opinion...a game is only based on a film if it does not deviate in the slightest. Incorrect. I'm talking about games that are actually based off films. *gasp, shock*

Neither Rogue Leader nor Galactic Battleground, or even Jedi Knight are based off of a film. They are simply set in the SW Universe.

BTW - I got it from here: http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=2365

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:11:49 PM
Then you're wrong, as Rogue Leader is set in actual parts of all 3 classic trilogy movies, and Galactic Battlegrounds set in all four SW movies.

EDIT: Actually, GB is sans Ep IV. But still involves the other 3

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:13:42 PM
But they're not based on A singular movie!

I don't know how I can make it any plainer.

Shrek >> Based off Shrek
TPM >> Based off SW: tPM
Jedi Knight >> ???
Rogue Leader >> ???

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:16:50 PM
Who's to say that Star Wars isn't a movie unto itself, like LotR is supposedly a book unto itself.

You're trying to be so mind-numbingly technical to save face here...just admit you're wrong :)

Ash Longbaugh
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:23:42 PM
Terminator 2 Arcade
Lethal Weapon
Goldeneye

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:24:15 PM
No, I'm not. You're just purposefully misconstruing what I'm saying.
So in your opinion...a game is only based on a film if it does not deviate in the slightestI never said anything of the sort. I just said that they're not based off of a film. Name the one film they're based off of... come on. Even if they take place during a movie, that doesn't mean that they're based off the movie. The X-Box game Obi-Wan certainly wasn't intended to follow the movie.

So if I'm being "overly technical", then I'll put it this way: Games based off the movies generally carry the same title. Get it?

Edit ~ Reaperfett at least gets the idea. While I didn't like Goldeneye myself, I at least give it props because I know many people did.

Ash Longbaugh
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:26:41 PM
Men in Black carries the same title, didnt follow the plot

Batman is a good one too
Untouchables

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:27:56 PM
>Star Wars<

How's that for pointing :)

What about all those NES, SNES, and Gameboy versions :) Those were excellent.

And maybe we can digress into books as well...Rainbow Six comes to mind :)

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:29:16 PM
I didn't play the MIB game, so I wouldn't know. But it obviously wasn't too great of a game.

An excerpt from the MiB review:
With very few exceptions, movie-to-game titles haven't exactly been triumphant in the past, but developers keep trying to make them and publishers keep spitting them out. Now SouthPeak Interactive has joined the ranks of the ideologues in introducing Men in Black: The Game. http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2542531,00.html
>Star Wars<Which one? ANH? :p
What about all those NES, SNES, and Gameboy versions :) Those were excellent.I never played them, but I'll take your word on it. However, my original statement of games based off of movies was a generalization which still is valid. Rather than me being overly technical to "save face", it seems you're just digging for the exception to the rule to do the same.
And maybe we can digress into books as well...Rainbow Six comes to mind :) And where did books come into this? :p

And now I'm going to be late to work... Ta ta.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:35:34 PM
I shall argue then that a FotR game can't be based on a movie...its confined to 1/3rd of a movie, since Fellowship isn't a real "movie" per se.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:40:12 PM
This is like playing basketball against Michael Jordan, and saying that he can only shoot left-handed, dunk only on a full moon, wear lead boots, run on his knees, block shots only on Tuesdays, wear a blindfold, and has to stab himself every time you score a point.

Sure Nup, you'll eventually win when you manipulate the parameters to do so :p

But in the real world...:lol

Ah go to work ya bum! :rolleyes

Gav Mortis
Dec 22nd, 2001, 08:17:35 PM
To cool this heated discussion, Garrett would usually be here to post something completely unrelated but he hasn't yet, so allow me...

<CENTER><FONT SIZE="5" COLOR="magenta">What the HELL is going on here Mary!?!?</FONT>

<FONT SIZE="7" COLOR="magenta">WOOHOO!!!</FONT>

:crack :crack :crack :crack </CENTER>

Garrett Blade
Dec 22nd, 2001, 08:43:57 PM
Actually Gav, I'd prefer to take part in the discussion. All I need to do is catch up on whats been said!

Nupraptor
Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:27:45 PM
This is like playing basketball against Michael Jordan, and saying that he can only shoot left-handed, dunk only on a full moon, wear lead boots, run on his knees, block shots only on Tuesdays, wear a blindfold, and has to stab himself every time you score a point.I thought my explanation was pretty simple: Most games based off of movies carry the same name.

What you're saying is that any game that carries the "Star Wars" title is, by default, based off the movies? So Shadows of the Empire is based off the movies, and not the book of the same name?

There is a large difference between something set in the SW universe and something thats supposed to follow a specific SW Movie.

Likewise, if the LOTR game was just supposed to be set in Middle-Earth, and not specifically follow a movie, I'd have higher hopes for it.

And apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks that movie-to-game translations generally suck, judging by the quotation from the MIB review.

Live Wire
Dec 23rd, 2001, 12:02:14 AM
let me be the first to say......

This argument is stupid!

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 23rd, 2001, 04:18:08 AM
*sends the combatants to separate corners* Now, wait for the bell next time.

*ding!*

Tea time!