PDA

View Full Version : This is impressive for LOTR

ReaperFett
Dec 21st, 2001, 09:33:59 AM
IMDB's Top 250 (http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films)

Remember, that is only people who have voted a few times, so wont have vote rigging. I gave it a 8

Not the highest I've seen, Memento had a 9.6 at one time

darth_mcbain
Dec 21st, 2001, 10:22:56 AM
Impressive yes... But I'd give it some time to cool down - the movie's only been out a few days...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 21st, 2001, 11:47:23 AM
I think it might drop a little but it will probably stay in the top 10 that's for sure.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 23rd, 2001, 04:36:57 AM
The Princess Bride is number 88!? Outrageous.

And they put Chicken Run at number 239. I'm saddened. At least FotR is up there at the top. :D For now. *crosses fingers that it stays in the top ten*

Darth23
Dec 23rd, 2001, 10:57:13 AM
Of course most people who see it right awat are tolkien fans to start with. Still when a movie gets so many 10's it usually gets more 9's and 8's also.

FOTR is DEFINITELY not a 10 movie. I'd give it an 8 - 8.5, mainly because I thought there were some definite problems, technical and stylistic.

I hope being number 1 for now means it will have some decent staying power, because I get the feeling that there's are some people out there who have a lot of problems with the movie.

Nupraptor
Dec 23rd, 2001, 11:42:53 AM
Originally posted by Darth23
I hope being number 1 for now means it will have some decent staying power, because I get the feeling that there's are some people out there who have a lot of problems with the movie. I get the feeling that you're overly pessimistic about the movie. 12,000 unique votes with 77.7% giving it a perfect 10 and 11.1% giving it a 9.

2% gave it a 1... From my perspective, those have to be blatant bashers of the movie. Because, quite frankly, it wasn't that bad by anyone's standards.

Darth23
Dec 23rd, 2001, 01:20:00 PM
I am kind of pessemistic. I think a lot of ordinary movie goers aren't going to like it as much as maybe I think they should.

Mainly I expected it to be stronger this weekend.

I guess we'll see how it holds up this week and next weekend.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 23rd, 2001, 04:58:30 PM
I'm not expecting LOTR to do well at all. 185 mill tops.

Interestingly, the 9.1 LOTR has right now matches the average rating of 4.6 out of 5 at theonering.net. And that is out of 5000 reviews. No, it seems to be legit, abeit fan driven for now.

2 more days for me.... 2 more days and I can see it.... I wish I have so I could comment on it's merits....

And for the bashers - welll, it's interesting bashers are soooo obvious this time. No one can seem to have a logical argument why the film would suck. Ah well, I get to find out soon!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 23rd, 2001, 05:41:05 PM
I think it will do better than you think, word of mouth is incredibly I know of a lot of people that want to go see it who haven't yet and then I know of people who want to see it again, including myself, I think it will easily make 250 and will eventually make between 330-350 million and I will stand by my prediction.

Nupraptor
Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:34:27 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
Interestingly, the 9.1 LOTR has right now matches the average rating of 4.6 out of 5 at theonering.net. Actually, if you click the link, the average is 9.6... they just haven't updated the main page yet.

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2001, 10:42:11 PM
eh-eh! 9.6 is total average. 9.1 is what the more estabalished users say (certain ammount of votes I think). Thats why saying its just fanboys cant really be true

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 24th, 2001, 07:31:41 AM
No, I doubt it's just fanboys either. It seems to be quite genuine and AFAIK, you need a userid and to have voted several times for different movies before your vote counts.

JonathanLB
Dec 24th, 2001, 07:32:26 PM
LOTR: FOTR is not one of the best ten films ever made by any means, but still it IS definitely a 10.

I would give it a 9.7 or so, actually, but on a scale of 1 to 10 with only intervals of 1 I'd still give it a 10.

How could you possibly be disappointed with the opening for LOTR?! Are you CRAZY or just not paying attention?! The film made $46 million on an opening weekend after it had already been open two days and this is in DECEMBER before Christmas, which is NOT A GOOD WEEKEND normally!

$46 million is an all-time record for this month and very comfortable too, by like 25% higher than the previous record. Its five day gross is a December record too and it even exceeded expectations on Sunday I believe, basically $75 million in five days. That is higher than any analysts had predicted. They were saying $10 million per day, $50 to $60 million total. Then after opening day they said maybe $60 to $70 million, and then it beat that and made $75 million.

Remember when a bunch of idiots called TPM's opening disappointing? Don't be one of those idiots with LOTR, please, it only shows you are an absolute hypocrite.

The film is three hours long and didn't have nearly as many theater screens as many other films have had in their openings yet it still made a ton of money. Staying power is all that matters ultimately when a film opens solidly, and this film opened far more than solidly, so it should go on to make at least $225 million or so.

I think many analysts would say LOTR has a good chance to beat Harry Potter. The USA Today article noted that young and old people enjoy LOTR, which was not so at all with Harry Potter. That is a stupid little kiddie film totally unworthy of the theater screens and hype bestowed upon it. It has pitiful effects, lousy actors, a second-rate director, and is just not worth the money a ticket costs today. LOTR is by a great director who has won acclaim for his film, the effects are fantastic, the acting is very strong and the cast is full of experienced actors, and the movie is making critics' top five lists even. I think it is definitely the best movie of the year. AI was close for me, Memento fairly close, but LOTR is more epic and beautiful than AI, more well-crafted than Memento. Anyway, no film with such a small budget like Memento can really compete with a well-made epic where the director has like $90 million with which to work. The higher the budget, the better quality the film in general. If I had more money to make my short movies, they would be far better without a doubt.

Dutchy
Dec 24th, 2001, 07:39:39 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
LOTR: FOTR is not one of the best ten films ever made by any means, but still it IS definitely a 10.

In your opinion. In my opinion it is a 7.

Jedieb
Dec 24th, 2001, 10:11:41 PM
I don't know why, but I've never registered at IMDB. I went ahead and registered and voted for several of my favorite films. It was nice to see some of my all time favs in the top 10 (Casablanca, SW, Godfather). I had no idea that TPM was coming in a ranking of 7. I wasn't suprised it ranked behind all of the OT, but it was a bit surprising to see it not even crack the top 250. But I guess some can easily explain this glaring oversight. I wonder how well ROTR will hold up once it sits for awhile. Such a strong start has to bode well for a top 100 finish.

Darth23
Dec 24th, 2001, 10:55:24 PM
TPM was in the top 250 until Dutchy hacked in and fixed the scores. ;)

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 27th, 2001, 01:16:57 AM
Well, it aint really dropped yet.

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2001, 10:07:56 AM
Dutchy you should be ashamed of yourself!;)