PDA

View Full Version : LOTR review by 'That bloke who hasn't read the books' (MAJORINO SPOILERS A-COMIN')

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 04:50:07 PM
Being completely untaken up by the hype, I only realised when it was coming out in early December. Still wasn't that hyped. However, saw the chance to see it, and the pull of Peter Jackson(Who directed Braindead/Dead Alive, which I loved) and Sean Bean(A majorly underachieving actor) took me in.

And so, off we went to the cinema. And as we got there, we saw........SIX double decker buses. Luckily, they were going to see something else. In fact, the cinema was near empty, a good thing. This meant virtually no noise- heaven! :)

Anyway, to the film proper.

To me, the best thing in this film was the breathtaking scale of things. Mountains spanning as far as the eyes can see, thousands or Orcs charging towards the legions of men and elves awaiting them, The great halls of the Dwarves miles long in all directions. Every shot was awe-inspiring.

In fact, the direction as a whole was spot on. In something like this, it would be easy to go off filming something unimportant. This avoided this rut brilliantly. I heard Peter Jackson wants to remake King Kong. I hope someone has the guts to let him.

The "look" of everything was spot on to me too. Although I haven't read the books, I do know they influenced most modern day views on the fantasy area, so I did have images of what to expect. And for me, they were near faultless. The Dwarves were short, stout, easy to anger and Scottish. The orcs were large and very barbaric. The elves were tall, thin, precise and poncey. I've always seen Hobbit style creatures as short and fat with hairy feet and a constant want of food, so they were near enough here. The same for the places they visited. Although it reminded me of where the Teletubbies live, I really liked the Shire. The way how all the houses had a grass top, as if to not ruin the scenery, was a really good look. It also added to the feeling that the Hobbits spent their lives in a quite secluded area, safe from outside problems.

The SFX were near perfect. They were never overused, only there where they needed to be. The creatures were great, especially the Troll, who's movements and the like were perfect for something of its size. The invisible parts looked great too, the way how everything blurred. I only really had two problems in this area. The frist was when Gandolf was spinning on the floor, which looked a bit daft to me. The other was when Bilbo's face changed. That just didn't sit right for me. I do understand WHY he snapped and all, and I do think that was good and all, I just think having his normal face would have been better.

Sound effects was another highlight. I liked how all the "monsters" sounded, especially the Wraiths with that scream of theirs, really added to the effect that they were evil. I didn't like when the Elven Queen was talking after seeing the ring though, mainly because I had to listen hard to hear what she was saying.

However, I found the soundtrack to be lacking. It just didn't feel epic enough for me. Soundtrack alone was good, but not for this film, IMO. And to round it off, Enya. I'd prefer a Wraith to sing :)

I liked how the humour in this film was. It never took away from the film, but did have some great moments. This made the Hobbits better characters, the way how they did feel to me as jolly people.

To me, the fight scenes were the best that I have seen since Hard Boiled(which was a completely different style to this). You could really feel that these people were skilled in their work. Sometimes in films, you're told that someone is a great archer, and aside from one setpiece or two, this isn't shown. In this, Legolas was shown constantly as this, be he firing a shot at extreme ranges, quickly firing at multiple people or using an arrow to stab someone before firing the same arrow at another. Same for Aragon and Boromir. I especially liked how they showed thought in their movements. When they are attacked in the Dwarf caves, Aragon reaches for his sword as they close, while Legolas moves back for another shot. Little things like this are what make a fight so good. I also liked how missile weapons were used close up. They didn't suddenly has Legolas as a great swordsman too, he stuck to what he was good as. The Dwarves throwing of axes as he charged in was also good.

My only really problem in this area for me was the fight between Aragon and the Orc. I felt this should have lasted longer, been a real spectacle. As it was, it was good enough, but I feel could have been bettered. I suppose though it was better this way, as he had just been fighting for a long time, before running into that fight. The shortness could have been due to his fatigue. Not that it matters, this area really was a 10/10. So good to see proper fighting, not needing special effects or wires, just hard work and skill. Hopefully this will inspire other films to follow suit.

The acting in this was a joy. Ian McKellen did a great job with Gandolf, and Elijah Wood held the lead well, although his 'rabbit in headlights' look was overused a bit. Christopher Lee did a great job as Sauroman, the way he speaks suited his lines down to the ground. The other Hobbits all did their parts greatly, especially Ian Holm, who really did make you feel for the character(he is currently having cancer treatment I hear, so I wish him a speedy recovery).

The highight for me without a doubt was Sean Bean's acting par excellence. I really did feel for this character. The way how he seems so arrogant on the outside at first, but is shown as someone who did care. His turn and redemption at the end were perfectly acted, and really did feel sad at the end. I really hope he gets an Oscar nod for this. He stood out from the others to me, and deserves it.

I think what set the acting aside from others was the feelings between the characters. You could sense a bond between them all. The one that highlighted that for me was Boromir practicing with the Hobbits. I really could a sense of caring from him and Aragon as they helped these two was evident. The same for the scene with Aragon and Boromir, you could tell that the pair had respect for one another.

I think my main gripes were parts of the story. For one, jumpiness. The fellowship would be on a mountain, decide to go to the Dwarf hold, and POW, there they are. This might work well in a book, but it can feel a bit off when put to theatre reel, IMO. I do understand that they couldn't risk adding new scenes in for risk of being hunted down by rabid LOTR fans, but I wished they had found some way round this.

There was also times in this where I almost felt bored, only kept in there by the superb acting.

There was also one scene which caused a huge problem in my head. I can only guess this wasn't in the book, due to how it was. When Hugo Weaving took the Human King to destroy the ring. He looks at him, says no and walks off. Now, this is a vital ring, it HAS to be destroyed, yes? So, why didn't the elf kill him, and throw it in himself? He understood how important this was, but let him go? Did he expect him to change his mind or something?

I think overall, I was a little dissapointed. Aside from some story gripes, I can't see how they would have changed them. I think half of it was the reviews making it out as the best thing since cinema began. I somehow expected more. This was a good film, a VERY good film, but not great. I think in time I'll like it more. This happened with TPM(which I enjoyed more first time), I liked it a bit until I saw it on VHS and realised how great it was. I hope this happens for this also.

Has it gave me the urge to read the books? TO be honest, no. I don't really think it's due to this film though. I generally don't like fantasy in books for many reasons, so stayed away from this. I'll at least read FOTR to see what I missed, but I don't know about reading the others.

Am I looking forward to the sequels? Definately. I do realise that this is the first third of a saga. In essence 1/3 of a very long film. The first of a planned trilogyis never as good as the middle one(Remember, ANH was made as a stand alone, as it had to sell itself). I think the set up for the next one is great, and does promise more to come. Also, I feel the rest of the story will only improve this one. Try watching your favourite film 1/3 through, then tell me if you enjoyed it. You wont half as much.

I think overall, I'd give this an 8/10, with hopes the sequel can improve on this.

Sanis Prent
Dec 20th, 2001, 06:55:11 PM
8/10 is about what I'd give it too. Good movie :)

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 07:11:53 PM
any comments on the review itself? (aside from 'you have no taste in films you big eared freak':))

Sanis Prent
Dec 20th, 2001, 07:26:08 PM
I thought the musical score fit quite nicely.

And you don't have big ears...but yes, your taste in movies is (sigh) BIZARRE

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 07:35:44 PM
one day, we'll fully agree on something :)

Admiral Lebron
Dec 20th, 2001, 09:00:55 PM
When Strider killed the head Orc, all I could think of was 'There can be only one!.' I can't wait until Dec. 2002!!!

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 09:03:34 PM
not 100%, but I think the guy playing that Orc is in EP2. Useless fact you ya'll :)

Admiral Lebron
Dec 20th, 2001, 09:27:01 PM
Someone has no life.

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 09:40:28 PM
Correct, I don't. But hey, better I'm me than you :)

And because I'm bored, Oscars this should win if there is any fairness in the world:

Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Director
Best Supporting Actor(Sean Bean)
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Best Costume Design
Best Sound
Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing
Best Effects, Visual Effects

Morgan Evanar
Dec 20th, 2001, 09:58:22 PM
I think the could have done with about 10 minutes less of music and used a little silence.

Nupraptor
Dec 20th, 2001, 11:14:50 PM
I have a few very minor qualms that I think will probably be resolved when I get my hands on the DVD version. :D

Master Yoghurt
Dec 20th, 2001, 11:56:30 PM
Nup: Yeah, lol! My major complaint is I wanted it to last longer. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 21st, 2001, 05:06:38 AM
I wanted the hobbits to have to hide in Farmer Maggot's waggon while the black Rider questioned him! *sighs* And the Barrowdowns!

Although, that was probably the best bit to have cut out. Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns never *have* made all that much sense to me. BUT... The Old Willow Tree...I wanted to see them all eaten up by the tree!

:D DVD Version! *writes it on her list of must haves right alongside DVD PLAYER*

Sanis Prent
Dec 21st, 2001, 07:26:48 AM
I do think they should've given more than lip service to explaining the hobbits. Yes, I know it was done primarily in the Hobbit, but in a film like this, its something that should be given maybe 10 minutes. Things like differences between Tooks and Bagginses (other than the name) are more or less important. Especially later, in the dwarven cave, when that one Took knocks over the skeleton, and Gandalf yells at him over it.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 21st, 2001, 07:30:45 AM
I would have liked to see a little narrative closer at the end of the film, somewhat similar to how they opened it. I know it’s a three parter, but it needed just a little better closure for its part of it, IMO.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 21st, 2001, 10:03:16 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
The SFX were near perfect. They were never overused, only there where they needed to be. The creatures were great, especially the Troll, who's movements and the like were perfect for something of its size. The invisible parts looked great too, the way how everything blurred. I only really had two problems in this area. The frist was when Gandolf was spinning on the floor, which looked a bit daft to me. The other was when Bilbo's face changed. That just didn't sit right for me. I do understand WHY he snapped and all, and I do think that was good and all, I just think having his normal face would have been better.I see it as a hint that if he had not parted with the ring as he had, then he would have become exactly what Gollum had. From my understanding of what I have heard of the books, which I have just started reading, Gollum was actually a good looking prince at one time, but became so corrupted by the one ring that he transformed into a hideous creature.

To me, the fight scenes were the best that I have seen since Hard Boiled(which was a completely different style to this). You could really feel that these people were skilled in their work. Sometimes in films, you're told that someone is a great archer, and aside from one setpiece or two, this isn't shown. In this, Legolas was shown constantly as this, be he firing a shot at extreme ranges, quickly firing at multiple people or using an arrow to stab someone before firing the same arrow at another. Same for Aragon and Boromir. I especially liked how they showed thought in their movements. When they are attacked in the Dwarf caves, Aragon reaches for his sword as they close, while Legolas moves back for another shot. Little things like this are what make a fight so good. I also liked how missile weapons were used close up. They didn't suddenly has Legolas as a great swordsman too, he stuck to what he was good as. The Dwarves throwing of axes as he charged in was also good.I think the fight scenes were done well too. They didn’t pan out and show a great deal of the gory details of how nasty the fight was most times. They kept most shots tight and quick, giving it the true frenzied feel, while when wide, did as you said, focused on the varying talents each member of the fellowship possessed. The style fit with the fantasy genre this movie completely owns now. It didn’t become another hack slash and fancy fight film.

My only really problem in this area for me was the fight between Aragon and the Orc. I felt this should have lasted longer, been a real spectacle. As it was, it was good enough, but I feel could have been bettered. I suppose though it was better this way, as he had just been fighting for a long time, before running into that fight. The shortness could have been due to his fatigue. Not that it matters, this area really was a 10/10. So good to see proper fighting, not needing special effects or wires, just hard work and skill. Hopefully this will inspire other films to follow suit.As I said in my previous little reaction to your review, which I think fits with why this fight was short, the film is about the adventure and the responsibility taken on by the most unexpected of heroes….hobbits, not so much the battles.

The acting in this was a joy. Ian McKellen did a great job with Gandolf, and Elijah Wood held the lead well, although his 'rabbit in headlights' look was overused a bit. Christopher Lee did a great job as Sauroman, the way he speaks suited his lines down to the ground. The other Hobbits all did their parts greatly, especially Ian Holm, who really did make you feel for the character(he is currently having cancer treatment I hear, so I wish him a speedy recovery).I fully agree, the acting was superb overall.

I think what set the acting aside from others was the feelings between the characters. You could sense a bond between them all. The one that highlighted that for me was Boromir practicing with the Hobbits. I really could a sense of caring from him and Aragon as they helped these two was evident. The same for the scene with Aragon and Boromir, you could tell that the pair had respect for one another.Its my opinion that feelings are the true focus of this entire series of movies. So conveying them between the characters is crucial and a must, which was done excellently.

I think my main gripes were parts of the story. For one, jumpiness. The fellowship would be on a mountain, decide to go to the Dwarf hold, and POW, there they are. This might work well in a book, but it can feel a bit off when put to theatre reel, IMO. I do understand that they couldn't risk adding new scenes in for risk of being hunted down by rabid LOTR fans, but I wished they had found some way round this.I actually think it was dealt with pretty well. time constraints were a large factor in this film. I said before that even with its three hour length, it did seem a little rushed, and what you say here is one of the things thta makes me feel that it was, but they had to, or it would have been a 6 hour film all on its own.

Live Wire
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:00:18 PM
well the jumpiness was not a problem of the book its the fact that they had to get 500 pages into three hours! When really you need a ratio of at least an hour per 100 pages. I agree with you LD they needed the barrowdowns and Farmer maggots waggon.

I liked how Bilbo's face changed because it showed how the ring had changed him like it did with the creature who came to be known as Gollum. One thing about that is they led you to believe gollum found the ring. But he didn't his friend did and he immediately killed him to get it showing the intense power the ring had for evil. I think that would have been a good quick thing to show.

Oh well theres your problem fett you're not into fantasy! You should have said that at the beginning of your post so fantasy lovers know not to listen to you! and go read the book whether you want to or not! You'll appreciate the movie more. doofus! :p

Nupraptor
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:16:18 PM
They didn’t pan out and show a great deal of the gory details of how nasty the fight was most times.That's because Jackson was contractually bound to make 3 PG-13 movies. :p

Live Wire
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:29:39 PM
It has a better chance of making more money when its PG13 And the books are what I'd consider PG. So its definately better this way. The movie shouldnt need gore. If it needs gore its probably a lame movie.

Nupraptor
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:34:42 PM
No, it didn't need gore at all. Although it *was* a bit strange to see someone get three arrows with an inch-thick shaft in them and not really bleed.

Live Wire
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:49:25 PM
yeah and to see arms getting cut off with no blood was kinda wierd.

Besides Tolkien never really described any of that stuff. Book didnt need it.

ReaperFett
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:59:24 PM
Yeah, it made it look wierd. But did they actually have blood? Being as they were spawned

Nupraptor
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:02:01 PM
Boromir certainly had blood. :p

There was a trace of it at the corner of his mouth, but I don't recall seeing any in the actual wounds (although miss De'Ville says otherwise).

ReaperFett
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:07:11 PM
sure there was a bit where the arrow went in. Vague rememberence.

Didn't Aragon have a bit of blood on his face after being thrown into the wall by the troll?

Live Wire
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:11:59 PM
a little bit of blood is not gore. If there had been no traces of blood it would have been retarded!!!!!

Nupraptor
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:22:22 PM
The only other traces of blood I can think of was on both Gandalf and Saruman after their fight.

Live Wire
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:34:10 PM
oh and remember when the dead body of Isildor was floating down the river with the arrows in his back. There was blood then too.

okay this is sick we're going through the film looking for where they showed blood. We're twisted!

Nupraptor
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:41:20 PM
:D

Admiral Lebron
Dec 21st, 2001, 02:42:56 PM
When Boromir was hit with the arrows, he had enough blood seeping through his armor and tunic to make it real enough.

Live Wire
Dec 21st, 2001, 03:13:41 PM
Im going to have to watch that sceen again cause all I remember was the blood in his mouth

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 1st, 2002, 05:41:02 PM
oooh, there was a LOTR thread!!

And I've seen it twice so far! The only two times I have been able to get tickets, it's still selling out in Sydney.

imported_Firebird1
Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:03:47 AM
It was great! But without giving anything away I'll tell you all what I missed.....

1)There was a vision missing from Frodo's Mirror Gazing

2)A little Background on Gollum...

3)More Elf Women! :( I only saw two...

Qhoros Sakal
Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:08:20 AM
I have seen the movie twice now and there are some things different between it and the book such as...

Frodo, Pippen, and Sam are captured by a spookie creature called a barrow-wight. It would have been a great scene to have this episode with the undead included in the movie but it was never put in.

Also when Elendil is defeated by Sauron on Mt. Doom and Elendil's sword, Narsil, is broken beneath his fall. Isildur then picks up his father's broken sword and defeats Sauron, recapturing the One Ring. The broken sword Narsil is never possessed by the elves of Rivendell but by Aragon the great descendent of Isildur. Strider fights with the broken sword throught-out the book until it is re-forged at Rivendell by elvish smiths. He renames the re-forged sword from Narsil to that of Anduril.

Saruman and Gandalf never battle in Tower of Orthanc. Saruman merely captures him before Gwaihir the Great Eagle rescues Gandalf. But the fight was put in for dramatic effect and was a good decision.

When party is being pursued by the ringwraiths towards the Ford of Rivendell. Frodo is upon Glorfindel's white elf-horse _alone_. Glorfindel is a male elf that is never seen in the movie btw. Frodo's mount leaves everybody else in the dust with ringwraith's not far behind. He crosses the Ford while the ringwraiths pull up on the shore crying eerily for the ring and demanding Frodo let them take him back to Mordor... back to their Lord, Sauron. Frodo then sees a ghostly image of light and flames behind them. The image frightens the ringwraith's mounts into the river and they are swept away in the flash flood. Later you learn that the ghostly image was that of Elrond. Arwen, daughter of elf-lord Elrond, plays no part in Frodo's deliverance at the Ford of Rivendell and appears later in the book.

The fellowship of the ring is surrounded by a host of wargs and a battle erupts. This scene would not have lasted all that long and would have been cool to have in the film.

Missing characters of significance in the film are Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel. There are probably other things I could put out but were not significant enough.

Other than that I enjoyed the film immensely.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:58:53 PM
Big Orc = Rhyno from WWF

I could tell my his facial structure and his look...

I dont know how.