PDA

View Full Version : The Fellowship of the Ring - Reaction and Review

Figrin D'an
Dec 19th, 2001, 05:53:55 PM
Well, the day has arrived and, finally, the reviews by the general public will start to be made. I guess I'll go first. (And I'll keep it bascially spoiler free for those who have yet to see it).

I'm still completely digesting everything that I saw, and I am certainly glad that I am going see the film again in a couple of days. I'm going to save a more critical analysis for another time.

I consider myself a fan of Tolkien and his work. I consider him one of my favorite authors. At the same token, I don't really consider myself to be a 'purist' in any manner, and I understand and accept that certain aspects of Tolkien's writings will have to be excluded from the films. I've been following this film project with a relatively keen eye for the past two years, and have been quietly looking forward to it. That being said, you now have a bit of a better idea of my perspective on this.

As a fan of the trilogy (or shall I endeavor to say, the first book), I was most satisfied with what I saw. There are a few 'quirky' things that I would want to see again (and thankfully will be) in an effort to achieve clarity before passing judgement on them. All in all, however, it's the film that I expected to see. I am happy about that, to say the least.

As a fan of cinema, I was blown away. Seeing this story come to life conjures images of the great epic films, like "Spartacus" and "Ben-Hur." A bit faster in spots, of course, but the imagery, and most importantly the feeling, of the epic film is definitely present. The best part is that there is another 6 hours of the story that we have yet to see evolve. Overall, I have been very disappointed with slate of films released in the past year. Perhaps, that simple fact has caused me to enjoy 'Fellowship' a little more than I might have if it had premiered in a different year. If that is indeed the case.... so be it. I can think of far worse things to potentially influence my taste in films.

On a side note, and to address another debate... the Burger Kings ads need to go. They falsely portray the film as... well... simply something that it isn't. The goblets themselves are a fun novelty, and are fully functional, which is always plus. The ads though... after seeing the film, they will grate on me even more.

Be warned, this is NOT a movie that I would recommend taking young kids to see. (This is one of the reasons that the Burger King ads will really anger me.) There are parts of this film, particularly involving Frodo's use of the One Ring, that will frighten younger children. I say this because I know there are people on these forums that are parents. So, please, think twice before you turn a viewing of this film into a "family outing," particularly if you have younger kids.

So... take from this what you will. I liked it. A lot. I'm going to see it at least a couple more times in theaters. I will decide then where it stands on my film list. Tolkien fan or not, this is a film not to be missed.

Darth23
Dec 19th, 2001, 07:01:47 PM
Yes!

(another Anti-Burger King ad person)

I'm seeing it tomorrow.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2001, 08:58:11 PM
Well I just came home from it too and there is lot for me to digest, I have to see it again to really get it all. First off I am no Purist either, I have always loved the books and I complete understand the cuts because it just would have made the movie too long. Also this will be spoiler free too for now I am going to wait a couple of days to comment on a few of the spoilers because I don't want to ruin the film for anybody.

Ok well I loved the movie, it is the best film I have seen all year. I will go a step further it is the best film I have seen since TPM, it is that good (I will not compare either film I like both of them equally for different reasons and really they are two completely different things IMO). Now I am going to attack each area of the film, first the story was terrific there was really only one place in the entire film where the action dragged (the whole love story thing while I think important for the sequels just dragged a little for me) but besides that the rest of the film was perfect especially the cuts in the beginning they really worked for me because that is section that takes the longest to get through.

Next the acting was terrific, Ian Mckellen was great as Gandalf (he should get an Oscar Nod I think and may even win it) he brought such depth to the role, Elijah Wood was great as Frodo, I know some people were worried but he is really great in the movie (and I think has a small chance of being Nominated), Sean Astin, was pretty good he has some funny lines and did a good job of showing his loyality to Frodo, Viggo Mortensson(sp) was terrific as Aragon, I am really glad that they other guy was pushed out because I could imagine him being played by anybody else, Liv Tyler, really surprised me I was worried about her but she did a good job in a short role, Christopher Lee, was terrific nearly as good as Mckellen, he was so good playing evil that now I can't wait to see him in AOTC, Sean Bean, was the best I ever seen him as Boromir I especially liked his character towards the end and that is all I will say about that, finally John Rhys-Davies was terrific as well and also unrecognizable, if I didn't know he was playing the part I never would have recognized him.

Next the SFX were the best I have seen this year and should easily get an Oscar, my best moments were in the Mines of Moria those were some of the best fx shots I have seen.

Overall I give a 10, it is that good and I think it is a must see movie, I also agree that small children should not go, I think anybody under 10 really shouldn't see (unless they are really mature 8 year old or something.) In the show I went to there were a few babies crying and that really annoyed me. Actually I was surprised the film was not very gory but there was some scary scenes the Nightwraiths come to mind they are defintely eerie then there are the Mines of Moria there are some things that might scare young children.

Oh one last thing for everybody that sees it, how crowded was your theater? Mine was packed, nearly sold out (there were just a few seats left in the front row) also the crowd was very deverse kids ranging from 8-17, adults, older people and suprisingly a lot of females, I'm just curious how the other shows played.

darth_mcbain
Dec 20th, 2001, 12:47:57 AM
The theater was 100% packed where I went. They made 4 announcements before showtime to move to the center to allow more people in.

There was just so much in this movie that I too need some time to mull over it and digest it. My rating for it was 9.5. I thought everything was really well done, especially the casting and the pacing.

The cast was just awesome. Gandalf, Legolas, Frodo, and Gimli were all very well cast and really portrayed their characters well. I was really impressed with Christopher Lee as Sarumon, I actually don't think I've seen him in other films, and I was very impressed. His screen presence is incredible, and he will be a welcome addition to Ep II...

The pacing was a touch on the slow side for me, but I think that the books actually lend themselves to that - this is an epic, not something where everything is wrapped up in a neat little package in 100 minutes.

The effects were incredible - especially in the epic battle sequences and the Balrog encounter. All of the fight sequences were nicely done.

I think I was in a good position to see it, because I've read the books and have a better idea of where the movie is going and what is happening, but I am not such an expert on the books that I am disappointed with little detail stuff. I definitely think it helps to have read the books, though. People who haven't read it will certainly enjoy it, but having read the books really helps to give some insights.

Overall, an excellent flick. Go see it!!!

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 20th, 2001, 01:13:56 PM
Ok, first of all, I finally did see the Burger King ads. And yes, I think they're rather dumb, but I don't think they're as bad as a lot of the merchandizing we've seen done before (for example, I don't think they're as bad as those damned TPM Pepsi commercials...I absolutely loathe Pepsi for that now...). Also, after the movie my brother and I made rounds to every BK in town trying to get a glass, and most of them were sold out. We finally found somewhere that had Strider and Frodo, and fortunately I don't have a Strider yet, so I was happy :D

Now for the film. I'm definitely gonna have to see it again, as I did with TPM, to take everything in. My first viewing of a film like this (or Star Wars) is usually to look at the film as a whole, and honestly I have trouble recalling my opinions about all the small parts until I see it again. Overall though, it was simply beautiful. And I don't mean that as a purely effects driven movie, but I'll start with effects. I didn't really have a time where the effects just stood out, like in other movies I've seen. Throughout the film the effects fit in very nicely, and were very helpful to the movie, not detracting from it.

The acting was simply amazing...the only time I recall thinking what actor/actress was playing which character was when they were first shown...throughout the rest of the appearances of the characters, I saw each and every one as THAT character, not just someone playing it. Gandalf was amazing, as were Aragorn and Boromir (Boromir's character has been growing on my for some time as a favorite, the more I digest the books, and this movie hightened my feeling for this character even more). Saruman was simply evil, and this movie shows a lot more of his character than you can originally see in FOTR, with him being cold and calculating (though it is described some in later books). Those were just my favorites, not to say that every other character was weak, I had a hard time picking the best performances. Legolas and Gimli were good, foreshadowing further development in later books, so there wasn't a whole lot of development for them in this book and movie (IIRC) for them to expand on, which is fine with me.

As for the departures and changes from the book, likely the most controversial among those who have read, I felt they were very well done. Many of them I felt were necessary to explain certain elements that will probably be presented in the later books, that are present in the books in more subtle forms. In movie making, when you're trying to hold an audience, you can't rely on subtleties as much as you can with books, simply because it is a different medium, unless you want to have someone just speak/narrate a part of the text in the movie, to preserve the "way the book did it" which I feel detracts from the movie, especially since a lot of things that were important to the whole image were mentioned in a conversation of the book, or a recollection of a character, etc.

This movie has a very "epic" feel to it, in the meaning of the word. It has drama, emotional appeal, conflict on both the large and small scale, good characterization, and elements/themes that can be identified with by all, so even as a stand alone film (standing alone from the books, that is) it is an exceptional work.

As for my showing, there were all age groups there, from 12/13 year olds up to people in their 60s/70s. The show wasn't sold out, but there were huge crowds and lines there, with only a few seats empty. I think a lot of it had to do with I went to the 3:45 showing, and being this close to Christmas, people aren't going to be taking off work to see a movie with break coming up so close. So naturally the earlier showings weren't as busy, but when I drove by on the way home from BK and Barnes and Noble (and Toys R Us to get my brother a Gimli for Christmas), the theater lobby was packed to full, with the line almost out the door, waiting for the movie.

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 04:52:50 PM
LOTR review by 'That bloke who hasn't read the books' (MAJORINO SPOILERS A-COMIN')

Being completely untaken up by the hype, I only realised when it was coming out in early December. Still wasn't that hyped. However, saw the chance to see it, and the pull of Peter Jackson(Who directed Braindead/Dead Alive, which I loved) and Sean Bean(A majorly underachieving actor) took me in.

And so, off we went to the cinema. And as we got there, we saw........SIX double decker buses. Luckily, they were going to see something else. In fact, the cinema was near empty, a good thing. This meant virtually no noise- heaven! :)

Anyway, to the film proper.

To me, the best thing in this film was the breathtaking scale of things. Mountains spanning as far as the eyes can see, thousands or Orcs charging towards the legions of men and elves awaiting them, The great halls of the Dwarves miles long in all directions. Every shot was awe-inspiring.

In fact, the direction as a whole was spot on. In something like this, it would be easy to go off filming something unimportant. This avoided this rut brilliantly. I heard Peter Jackson wants to remake King Kong. I hope someone has the guts to let him.

The "look" of everything was spot on to me too. Although I haven't read the books, I do know they influenced most modern day views on the fantasy area, so I did have images of what to expect. And for me, they were near faultless. The Dwarves were short, stout, easy to anger and Scottish. The orcs were large and very barbaric. The elves were tall, thin, precise and poncey. I've always seen Hobbit style creatures as short and fat with hairy feet and a constant want of food, so they were near enough here. The same for the places they visited. Although it reminded me of where the Teletubbies live, I really liked the Shire. The way how all the houses had a grass top, as if to not ruin the scenery, was a really good look. It also added to the feeling that the Hobbits spent their lives in a quite secluded area, safe from outside problems.

The SFX were near perfect. They were never overused, only there where they needed to be. The creatures were great, especially the Troll, who's movements and the like were perfect for something of its size. The invisible parts looked great too, the way how everything blurred. I only really had two problems in this area. The frist was when Gandolf was spinning on the floor, which looked a bit daft to me. The other was when Bilbo's face changed. That just didn't sit right for me. I do understand WHY he snapped and all, and I do think that was good and all, I just think having his normal face would have been better.

Sound effects was another highlight. I liked how all the "monsters" sounded, especially the Wraiths with that scream of theirs, really added to the effect that they were evil. I didn't like when the Elven Queen was talking after seeing the ring though, mainly because I had to listen hard to hear what she was saying.

However, I found the soundtrack to be lacking. It just didn't feel epic enough for me. Soundtrack alone was good, but not for this film, IMO. And to round it off, Enya. I'd prefer a Wraith to sing :)

I liked how the humour in this film was. It never took away from the film, but did have some great moments. This made the Hobbits better characters, the way how they did feel to me as jolly people.

To me, the fight scenes were the best that I have seen since Hard Boiled(which was a completely different style to this). You could really feel that these people were skilled in their work. Sometimes in films, you're told that someone is a great archer, and aside from one setpiece or two, this isn't shown. In this, Legolas was shown constantly as this, be he firing a shot at extreme ranges, quickly firing at multiple people or using an arrow to stab someone before firing the same arrow at another. Same for Aragon and Boromir. I especially liked how they showed thought in their movements. When they are attacked in the Dwarf caves, Aragon reaches for his sword as they close, while Legolas moves back for another shot. Little things like this are what make a fight so good. I also liked how missile weapons were used close up. They didn't suddenly has Legolas as a great swordsman too, he stuck to what he was good as. The Dwarves throwing of axes as he charged in was also good.

My only really problem in this area for me was the fight between Aragon and the Orc. I felt this should have lasted longer, been a real spectacle. As it was, it was good enough, but I feel could have been bettered. I suppose though it was better this way, as he had just been fighting for a long time, before running into that fight. The shortness could have been due to his fatigue. Not that it matters, this area really was a 10/10. So good to see proper fighting, not needing special effects or wires, just hard work and skill. Hopefully this will inspire other films to follow suit.

The acting in this was a joy. Ian McKellen did a great job with Gandolf, and Elijah Wood held the lead well, although his 'rabbit in headlights' look was overused a bit. Christopher Lee did a great job as Sauroman, the way he speaks suited his lines down to the ground. The other Hobbits all did their parts greatly, especially Ian Holm, who really did make you feel for the character(he is currently having cancer treatment I hear, so I wish him a speedy recovery).

The highight for me without a doubt was Sean Bean's acting par excellence. I really did feel for this character. The way how he seems so arrogant on the outside at first, but is shown as someone who did care. His turn and redemption at the end were perfectly acted, and really did feel sad at the end. I really hope he gets an Oscar nod for this. He stood out from the others to me, and deserves it.

I think what set the acting aside from others was the feelings between the characters. You could sense a bond between them all. The one that highlighted that for me was Boromir practicing with the Hobbits. I really could a sense of caring from him and Aragon as they helped these two was evident. The same for the scene with Aragon and Boromir, you could tell that the pair had respect for one another.

I think my main gripes were parts of the story. For one, jumpiness. The fellowship would be on a mountain, decide to go to the Dwarf hold, and POW, there they are. This might work well in a book, but it can feel a bit off when put to theatre reel, IMO. I do understand that they couldn't risk adding new scenes in for risk of being hunted down by rabid LOTR fans, but I wished they had found some way round this.

There was also times in this where I almost felt bored, only kept in there by the superb acting.

There was also one scene which caused a huge problem in my head. I can only guess this wasn't in the book, due to how it was. When Hugo Weaving took the Human King to destroy the ring. He looks at him, says no and walks off. Now, this is a vital ring, it HAS to be destroyed, yes? So, why didn't the elf kill him, and throw it in himself? He understood how important this was, but let him go? Did he expect him to change his mind or something?

I think overall, I was a little dissapointed. Aside from some story gripes, I can't see how they would have changed them. I think half of it was the reviews making it out as the best thing since cinema began. I somehow expected more. This was a good film, a VERY good film, but not great. I think in time I'll like it more. This happened with TPM(which I enjoyed more first time), I liked it a bit until I saw it on VHS and realised how great it was. I hope this happens for this also.

Has it gave me the urge to read the books? TO be honest, no. I don't really think it's due to this film though. I generally don't like fantasy in books for many reasons, so stayed away from this. I'll at least read FOTR to see what I missed, but I don't know about reading the others.

Am I looking forward to the sequels? Definately. I do realise that this is the first third of a saga. In essence 1/3 of a very long film. The first of a planned trilogyis never as good as the middle one(Remember, ANH was made as a stand alone, as it had to sell itself). I think the set up for the next one is great, and does promise more to come. Also, I feel the rest of the story will only improve this one. Try watching your favourite film 1/3 through, then tell me if you enjoyed it. You wont half as much.

I think overall, I'd give this an 8/10, with hopes the sequel can improve on this.

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 20th, 2001, 06:49:01 PM
About the scene with Isildur and Elrond, I think Figrin said it, but there is a reason why Elrond didn't touch it, I believe...notice that Gandalf and Galadriel wanted to avoid the ring as well...I think it has something to do with that, but I haven't read all of it to be sure. Also, imagine the conflict that would have been if Elrond had killed the heir to the throne of Men...the Men didn't know what the ring was, only that their leader had slain the Dark Lord. Also, the books and the movie mention that the Ring has a mind of its own. You can be certain that it sure as hell wouldn't want Elrond to kill its new master and destroy it...Isildur would've probably just slipped it on with Elrond coming after him, or it would've corrupted Elrond...remember what Galadriel hints might happen if she were to have the ring, or Gandalf says if he were to be given it?

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 06:56:19 PM
notice that Gandalf and Galadriel wanted to avoid the ring as well...I think it has something to do with that, but I haven't read all of it to be sure

Ah, but Gandolf used Tongs to picked it up. Could not he have used an arrow or sword to knock it in?

Plus, only those two were there. He could have lied and said he fell, noone would doubt him.

Also, Elves are fast as lightning, he wouldnt have put the ring on in time.

ReturnOfTheCB
Dec 20th, 2001, 07:11:49 PM
Who's to say that he had to put the ring on? The Ring has a way of finding itself on a finger, as I'm sure you noticed in the scene where Frodo slipped...it didn't just fall, it basically put itself on...

darth_mcbain
Dec 20th, 2001, 07:17:32 PM
As strong as Elrond's will may have been, once he came into contact with the Ring it would have been just as difficult for him to throw it in. If you remember, the closer the Ring gets to its forging place, the greater its power over the wearer. Frodo's will is strong now, but when he gets to Mt. Doom, the burden of the Ring becomes almost unbearable. So even if Elrond had made a move and tried to destroy it himself, I doubt he'd be able to do it. The will of the Ring is too powerful

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 07:32:39 PM
Im sure they could have done the scene far better though

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2001, 09:40:39 PM
Oscars this should win:

Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Director
Best Supporting Actor(Sean Bean)
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Best Costume Design
Best Sound
Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing
Best Effects, Visual Effects

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2001, 11:03:05 PM
I think it should get and win Best Picture but that is my opinion, I think its a superb film and you are right it is only a 1/3 of the whole story and that could be a problem to some especially the end of the movie, a lot of people in the theater were surprised at how it ended, but I wasn't. Also during that fight scene did anybody with Aragon and the Orc/goblin man (I can't spell the name) was there a lot of people clapping after the final outcome? In my theater there was and I guess I understand why it was a spectacular scene. I also agree that Bean did a great job but I would give an oscar to Mckellan he was outstanding IMO and the best one in the film but Bean isn't far behind IMO.

Figrin D'an
Dec 21st, 2001, 12:47:34 AM
Jedi Master Carr: Yes! I noticed that too! Probably about half to two-thirds of the theatre clapped when the Uruk-Hai was beheaded by Aragorn. I tend to think that is at partly because of Boromir being shot... the crowd had developed an emotional attachment to Boromir, and they were glad to see Aragorn avenge him. I know I was! :)

Personally, I think Sean Bean was awesome. He played Boromir perfectly. (OMG, I actually agree with Fett about something... Hell must be frozen over... LOL). Ian McKellan's performance was almost perfect, too. He became Gandalf, in my mind, which is exactly what I was hoping.

And, of course, Merry and Pippin.... great use of comic relief.

I think the performance that will be the most underappreciated is Sean Astin's portrayal of Samwise, mainly because he wasn't used that much in the first film. In the next two, however, he will have a much greater role, and mark my words, he will become a 'fan favorite'. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 21st, 2001, 01:16:00 AM
How about Gollum, he was only shown briefly a couple of times but he plays a huge role in the next two book, I am still curious how he will be potrayed in the movies. Back to that scene I mentioned a lot people seemed upset about Boromir's death in my showing. A kid about 11 or 12 I think was whispering to his mother, "He can't die." I think it was the way he died in such heroic fashion that caused people to get upset. Also a lot of people were sadded when Gandalf fell into the Shadow, but I think they will all be in a surprise in the sequel

Speaking about that last part I think I am going to add a spoiler thread so if anybody doesn't want to read it they will know to stay out.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 21st, 2001, 05:57:12 AM
In my showing of FotR, the theatre was packed. I counted maybe two empty seats when the previews started. There were mostly older, middle aged people, seemed like a lot of college age as well, plus the occasional 10-12 year olds. I went with my 14, 12 and 10 year old nephews, really wouldn't reccommend it for younger than 10 either. (they all loved it, btw)

And I went to a 12:30 pm showing, I was surprised to find so many people out on a middle of the day showing, in a relatively small theatre. (Although it was on its biggest screen.) When we left, there was a long line for the next showing. And school only just got out for Christmas break TODAY. Not Wednesday.

Also, everyone clapped and cheered when Aragorn decapitated the orc captain. I agree, people wanted to see Boromir avenged. I know I did, I almost cried when he died, and I knew it was coming! There is a lot of emotional attatchment to the characters I think, we can see how THEY are all involved with each other, and it makes us like them even more.

I am going to see it again as soon as I can. I didn't see the trolls from the Hobbit in the background, although I was informed by my ever watchful nephews that they were there...Must see it again to make sure! I don't know if that was a spoiler, but I masked it just in case. :D

Dutchy
Dec 21st, 2001, 06:56:58 AM
http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films

LOTR already at number 1 at the IMDb Top 250. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty impressive.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 21st, 2001, 07:21:09 AM
At least I have an excuse for not seeing it. It's not open in Australia till next week.

How that for suckage?

Dutchy
Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:26:38 AM
I hoped to find a post in here about why CMJ was "ultimately disappointed" with FOTR. Did you write about that somewhere and if not, can you, CMJ?

CMJ
Jan 3rd, 2002, 11:14:07 AM
I'm not sure Dutcy..I don't wanna be hung. :P

Dutchy
Jan 4th, 2002, 02:51:09 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
I'm not sure Dutcy..I don't wanna be hung. :P

Oh c'mon, don't be a chicken. :P

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 4th, 2002, 03:20:34 AM
Seen it twice.

What can I say? LOTR:FOTR rules them all.