PDA

View Full Version : [Fleet Question] I'm just curious...

Varlon Konrad
Dec 17th, 2001, 03:46:10 PM
Would ships wielding a superlaser or bigger than an Executor (super) Star Destroyer fall under the 90 day rule or the 250m/day rules if the development has been completed? The current rules set aren't too clear on that.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 17th, 2001, 04:06:53 PM
I am unable to figure it out according to the current rule set either and think that having the interested fleet parties talk it out and decide is the best course of action.

Varlon Konrad
Dec 17th, 2001, 04:09:20 PM
Personally, I would go with the 250m/day rulings since 90 days could lead to easy mass production of something like, say, the Titan Star Destroyer, and the 90 day could lead to massive abuses.

TSO Naval Officer
Dec 17th, 2001, 04:38:01 PM
Or maybe a "whichever greater"

a SSD would take 48 days to build under 250m/day, half as much as it should...but then when you talk about TSDs or MC2000s or Erebus...90 days is just kinda lipservice.

So with a "whichever greater" clause, it essentially keeps 90 days at the bare minimum.

Admiral Lebron
Dec 17th, 2001, 04:48:45 PM
Actually, it depends on the type of SSD ship. The Executor is the most popular, but their are other, smaller types. The (K)night Hammer, wasn't as large as the Executor, I think, for example.

Varlon Konrad
Dec 17th, 2001, 04:56:00 PM
I refer to them as Executor class as the first Canon SSD is the Executor (seen in ESB). But my point in this matter is that the 90 day rule can easily be abused to create über ships in fractions of the time taken. One could conceivably build a ship the size of the Death Star (640 days) in 90, and then keep doing it under the 90 day rule. This, to be quite frank, is in my mind a form of unfair play. I'm sure many of you would not want a 160 km Star Destroyer knocking at your door every 90 days, I surely wouldn't either. Sure, currently the only 90 day ship is 22,500 m in length, but even then, that's quite a big ship (and you can easily build one out of a shipyard constantly by making a continuous order for one). Where as currently (from what I can tell), you can build ships 45,000 m in length for the same time!

Again, a little unfair, no?

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Dec 17th, 2001, 05:35:43 PM
Yes, but if one were to build a 160 km Star Destroyer, could you fathom the amount of crew needed just to man it? It would take a whole vast navy just to man that one ship.

Varlon Konrad
Dec 17th, 2001, 05:45:43 PM
Yes, that is true Thrawn, but how many fleet players (aside from the small elite [I use that term lightly to describe those of us who know what we're doing]) understand that?

Khan Surak
Dec 17th, 2001, 05:50:58 PM
I think that we could somehow use the amount of planets and resources to limit the construction capability of various groups. It's like in Risk; if you have a certain amount of provinces you get more armies each turn and if you control a continent, you get even more. But because most of the groups have already built their fleets without taking into mind the amount of ore and other resources they have, I suggest this would only work in wartime. Not to say that some groups don't have enough resources, just that some of their planets would essentially have holes dug into them with the sizes of their fleets. Especially us :\ . We need a way to regulate shipyard construction that takes into account resources, realistic conditions and all that. If you think about it, most planets are about the Earth's size if not bigger. There are many resources in the planets and we can dig into Dayark until it's a floating hunk of coal about the size of George Bush's head :D . Then we'd also lose the population. Population I don't think we should take into account. It's an entire Galaxy full of hormonally charged teenagers, so population shouldn't be a problem. Even if you only have 1 planet.

Varlon Konrad
Dec 17th, 2001, 06:14:00 PM
Actually, Surak, that's what's being looked into for the new rules. I'm talking about an errata to the current rules until the new ones are released.

Khan Surak
Dec 17th, 2001, 06:33:08 PM
Ah, forgive me oh wise Konrad.

Varlon Konrad
Dec 17th, 2001, 07:34:13 PM
Originally posted by Khan Surak
Ah, forgive me oh wise Konrad.
:| I'm not quite THAT old...

Khendon Sevon
Dec 17th, 2001, 09:50:27 PM
Erebus was research for something like 180 days :)
I personally think putting a large research time and large build time on craft above the size of an SSD and with superlasers is an idea which must be thought over carefully.

I personally feel that it should take at least 100 days of research for a craft as powerful as an Erebus or Titan.

Varlon Konrad
Dec 18th, 2001, 12:57:14 PM
I personally think the 250m/day rule is rather limit for anything the size of a SSD alone. But perhaps seperating "research" and "construction" of such ships will make it quite a bit more fair. 90 days of "researching", and then the appropriate days under the 250m/day rules (Sure, it increases the time before you can wield your new toy, but also makes it more realistic).

Sumor Rayial
Dec 18th, 2001, 02:37:40 PM
*wanders in*

Khendon: If you used the same specs on the Erebus as you did when you posted it back at the old TSE board then I can see it being 100 days because of it's weapon capability. But the Titan is 80 Klicks in length (if memory serves).

Now I don't know for sure but pretty sure that the Titan was and is meant to be one of a kind. Even if it's not 80 Klicks is 4 times the length of the biggests ships here. Should take 320 days at the outside with the 250/day rule. 100 days is a gift.

Rest:

90 days is a long time. Well it is in this RP since a lot happens in 90 real days.

Anyway, I agree with much that has been said, and just like to add one thing. After the first ship of a new class has been built, the proccess speeds up. The bots and peeps building the ship become more comfortable with it and know where things go. They also find places where they can cut time off the build process. This does not mean cutting corners on stuff though.

Basically think about rl. When you do something on a regular basis you find ways to do it quicker. Tricks and such.

Now this doesn't mean that something that was RPed under the 90 day rule shouldn't be 90 days if it still needs to be. But I think that if something was "90 days"ed *new saying * :p but it could be built in 30 days because of it's length then it should be able to be built in 30 days under the 250 km/day rule. Know it's unlikely since only SL weilding ships need to be "90 days"ed and an SSD would take 72 days. Just something to think about anyway.

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 18th, 2001, 05:16:36 PM
That's a new way to look at it. I actually think that makes a lot of sense too. Oh, and I think the Titan actually took more than 100 days to build. I remember it being in construction when I first started RPing, and that was over a year ago... So I'm fairly certain that it was at least being worked on for around 130 days or so... But you'd have to ask Gav to know for sure.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 19th, 2001, 06:38:54 PM
The stats on the Erebus were modified a while ago, but they're close enough, size wise and Engima wise.
Anywayz:

That's a great idea, Summs (don't mind if I call you Summs, right?), and it works perfectly (as it makes more sense than all being 90 days).